Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.
Why does a 2500 EUR laptop with a 80 EUR power brick delivering 85W not have a ground in the default plug? Especially considering it has a metallic shell?

Is the tingling sensation of being "slightly" electrocuted part of the Mac experience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

Pivo posted:

The reality is that the adapter is so insulated from the shell that there's no need to ground it. The AC-DC inverter is on a separate and insulated board in the adapter. You should never get shocked from the case.

I can easily feel ground leakage current (not the same as being shocked) by just taking off my shoes. Googling a bit seems to show this is the "expected" (LOL) result.

I just don't understand the design decision of omitting the ground plug for a laptop with a metal case.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Using anything under 60hz for longer than a few minutes at a time is medically unsound.

Don't go to the movies?

That sounds like a recommendation from CRT times, when stuff would actually strobe a light at you.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

That and a second USB port is a reasonable bet.