Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

shodanjr_gr posted:

It's pretty fair. The differentiators between the 13" MBP and the 13" MBA are the optical drive and storage. The MBA might actually be faster for most things due to the SSD. Product line-wise the stock MBP doesn't make much sense any more...
You also forget the MBP has an ethernet port and firewire (although I expect FW to go bye-byes with the next refresh if the new Apple Cinema Displays are anything to go by). I much prefer my 13" MBP over an Air, from both an upgradeability point of view as well as having an ethernet port in it, which is great for work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

movax posted:

SSD installed and running great at the moment, going to upgrade to Lion soon and then enable TRIM on the drive (Vertex 2). Everything is so quick now, no more bottlenecks :D
I have just installed an Intel 320 series 160GB SSD in my MB Pro 13" and also installed Lion freshly on it. How do you enable TRIM, as it says it isn't enabled in System Profiler?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

BlackMK4 posted:

Read up a few posts. ;)

Just moved to Lion, I think I might go back. It's significantly slower.

Thanks, found it and changed the setting.

Not too sure about the speed thing with Lion, as I have swapped my old 10.6.8 which was on a normal HDD to Lion on a SSD. Things like swapping multiple desktops seem speedy to me.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

~Coxy posted:

Where's that hawt SSD icon? (should put it in the OP :) )
Seconding this, as I tried finding it in this thread and had no luck

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Thanks Sex Parrot!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

1997 posted:

My MagSafe from my first MacBook lasted about 2 1/2 years before melting one day but I'm 2 1/2 years into the one I have for the MacBook Pro I replaced it with and it seems to be fine. 2 1/2 years seems like a good run to me, anything longer than a year is just icing on the cake really.
I still have a Magsafe power adapter from a late 2007 MB Pro that still charges my work 15" MB Pro each day, no issues, no meltdowns, no fraying. I guess as long as you don't put items on top of the adapter so it can stay cool

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

michelleke posted:

Okay, I have a 2008 macbook pro, 15", 2.4ghz, 3 months out of warranty. I took it to the Apple store, they tested it and said it was the hard drive, days later they tell me it's actually the logic board and it's not part of the nvidia recall and it will cost around 600aud (577usd) to replace. I explained my problem to an authorised repair centre and they said it would cost 2,000aud to replace the logic board.
Now, if i were to have the logic board replaced this mbp would be acting as my back up, in case my shiny new 2011 mbp went to hell. Is there much else that is likely to go wrong with it and cost me more money?

Does a 2008 macbook pro with a dead logic board fetch anything on ebay?
Sometimes parting out a dead MB Pro can get you some money, but depends if you have the time or skills to pull one apart. If the screen is in good condition (no scratches or dead pixels) you can make a bit of money out of it.

As Duck Monster mentioned, you might as well invest the money you were going to put into repairing the old MB Pro into AppleCare for the new one. That's what I've done with mine.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Lilleput posted:

Apple TV is finally landing in European countries today. But it's probably going to get updated soon anyway right?

I do hope they put the A5 processor in it, like what's in the iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Bob Morales posted:

I have the same one. :respek:
We can be SSD buddies.
Same here, it has been a great drive in my MB Pro

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

awesome-express posted:

Just got my 13" Air. Photoshop CS5 loads in 1.5 seconds. :pcgaming:

Doing design work on this thing is a dream. A DREAM I TELL YOU EVERYONE BUY A MACBOOK AIR LIKE NOW NOW NOW.

SSDs were made for Photoshop. It loads up amazingly fast on my MB Pro as well.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

japtor posted:

Or just spend the $30 to get Snow Leopard if you really need it, looks like it's still on sale at the online Apple Store.
That is correct, you can still get Snow Leopard in both single and family packs from the online Apple Store

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

suddenlyissoon posted:

My work has finally caved in to purchasing me an iMac but I'm wondering if I should try to put off for a while longer. Has anyone heard anything about an incoming refresh?
The only major refresh I can think of is when Apple moves to the Intel Ivy Bridge range of CPUs around 2nd quarter this year. However they are more of an advantage for laptops, due to the better inbuilt GPU, than for desktops which run their own dedicated video (currently AMD)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Bob Morales posted:

9 months away...
Every bloody TBolt dock seems to be marked as "late 2012" :(

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Siroc posted:

I have a mid-2007 15" MBP which desperately needs a new battery. Apple has them for $129 which is too high for me. I see batteries like this on Amazon for $30. Are they legitimate?
Most third party Mac batteries are pretty garbage sadly.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Kilometers Davis posted:

The second battery was right out of the box :( they said it would be $200 for a battery. That's just not cost effective at all.
Try another fruit stand then. Apple have been replacing defective batteries with no charge

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Bob Morales posted:

White Macbook is finally dead. Real dead.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2012/02/ding-dong-the-white-macbook-is-deadfor-real-this-time.ars

Apple's educational division has stopped selling them.
My workplace, outside of the eMac, never brought any of the "education" Macs. Can't say the plastic Book is going to be missed.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I have a mid 2009 MB Pro 13" which still covered under AppleCare. I have noticed today that the screen has a small patch of backlight bleed in one corner when there are light colours shown in that corner. On dark colours the bleed doesn't show. Is this an issue with the screen or are there any utilities I should run on it first before sending it the local fruit stand?

I have rebooted the Mac, but it still has a small patch (like a couple of millimetre in size) bleed.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Mu Zeta posted:

Dell showed their new 27" iMac copy and it looks ok. Ivy bridge, Blu Ray, etc. Hopefully Apple will hurry the gently caress up.

Showed or released? Cos it is one thing to show the product, but no release date...

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Mercurius posted:

Still waiting on the Belkin one that's $50 more and has way more ports on it.
I'm sure it has a release date of sometime this century. I hope.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

step aside posted:

Didn't they drop Mac from the OS X branding? I'm guessing the real deal wouldn't say Mac OS X on the box.

10.8 drops Mac from the title. 10.7 is still known as Mac OSX

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Astro7x posted:

The wife needs a new computer, so we went to the Apple store today so she could decide what size Macbook Air we should get her after the updates next week.... Overheard one of the Apple Store employees saying "I just sold a guy a $2,500 computer, he's going to be so pissed on Monday."

As a joke I left Mac Rumors up on one of the laptops we were looking at and saw a staff member come up and change it. So do they even tell the employees anything, or are they internally left in the dark like the rest of us?
The employees are kept in the dark. Even the ones who work at Cupertino. I remember being at MW2005 after the Keynote and talking to a dude who worked at Infinity Loop, and I asked him whether he knew what was coming out, or if any of his guesses were correct. The answer to both was "no".

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

It's disappointing that Apple have changed the connector for the SSD modules in the new MB Airs. Going to make it a bit harder for third party modules that use the standard PCI-whatever Mini connector.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Bob Morales posted:

What was the last Apple computer to ship with a VGA port? G3 iMac?

Just curious.

The early Ti Powerbooks had a full sized VGA port before switching to DVI for later models.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rumours of a 13" MB Pro Retina doing the rounds at the moment. Will be interesting to see if anything comes out of it.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

fleshweasel posted:

Apparently there are music types who use PPC only software and things like that. Someone will probably be interested. It can run Leopard so it's not that bad in my view. People overestimate their computing needs. They always want more. It sometimes seems like selective ignorance of the amazing things accomplished with what we consider today to be puny computers.

Usually it is the PowerMacs they go for since there are also expansion cards and the extra power from the dual CPU models (and 1000x the power bill)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

ratbert90 posted:

If this is true I hope that means the same for the mini. :allears:

I hope it is true for the 13" MB Retina

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Mu Zeta posted:

The G5 iMacs were awesome. The entire back panel could be taken off easily and nearly everything was accessible.
While the G5 iMac might be good for repair work, those things are seriously heavy. I moved a 17" G5 iMac the other day and I am sure it is heavier than the 20" iMac I have on my desk

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

pipebomb posted:

I feel like I'm using my new 13" MBPr wrong. At 'Retina' default, it's nice and clear, but everything's loving huge. In order to actually use it, I've had to take it to 1650x1050 ( http://displaymenu.milchimgemuesefach.de is handy).

Everything still looks very nice and crisp and I can now use it like I want to - but the nagging feeling is that by not using the 'recommended' setting, I am missing something.

Ease my mind or tell me I am using it wrong, please. I mean, what's the point of having massive resolutions if it is being used at 1280x*?
Just installed that app on my 13" Retina. Looks so nice at 1650x1050. Thanks for the heads up :)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Bob Morales posted:

Did anyone here buy a 13" MBPr yet?

Yes, I have one. It is very nice, love the screen quality and is very quick. Very pleased with the purchase. Only thing I had to do is run a 3rd party app so I can change the resolution of the screen to suit my needs, rather than those silly settings Apple has in System Config.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

iceslice posted:

Today when I opened the screen on my MBP 6,2 the display didn't turn on. I reset the computer thinking it was something to do with coming out of sleep, and after booting up the machine immediately went back to sleep. After a third try it booted up fine, but when I set it down onto my desk the display turned off, and woke back up when I put it back into my lap and touched the touch pad. The simplest answer to me is that its getting worn out, and the sensor on the screen is malfunctioning, making it think its closed when it isn't. Have any of you guys heard of an issue similar to what I'm describing? Are there other components that would act this way if they were damaged/old? I also have a hotcorner enabled to turn the screen off, but I don't think this would prevent the screen from turning back on. I get the feeling there isn't much I'll be able to do about this if it gets worse, but any advice would be great.

Give it a PRAM reset (Cmd+Opt+P+R) at start up to see if that gets it running again

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Binary Badger posted:

http://www.bombich.com/download.html

The "old, free" version will get support pulled for it soon and is only certified for Tiger and Leopard; it'll work for SL and up but don't bet the farm on it. In the author's words it is "not actively qualified for Snow Leopard and Lion" so if your poo poo doesn't get cloned right you've no one to cry to. Except Bob Morales.

Get SuperDuper if you want something for free that'll clone stuff including Mountain Lion.

A word of warning, Super Duper will not copy over the RecoveryHD partition/volume. The pay version of CCC will.

If you are using Super Duper, you will need to follow the instructions on this page to rebuild the Recovery HD. It looks complicated, but it is pretty easy actually:

http://derflounder.wordpress.com/2012/06/26/creating-an-updated-recovery-hd/

Running the scripts will not delete or destroy the active volume. I have done this on running systems.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

They're back to T-shaped MagSafe connectors?

For the MB Airs and Retinas. Regular Pros still have the other type

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

terriyaki posted:

Speaking of which, the Belkin Thunderbolt Hub is still MIA. :doh:
Other than the bloody ugly Matrox one, is there any other TB docks out there?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Nice work with your fingers on the lens

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Bob Morales posted:

DEAR LORD, BELKIN IS NOW SHIPPING THE THUNDERBOLT DOCK :greatgift:

Hmmm, hell still seems to be warm. Would like to get one of these for my work Mac, since it has TB but only USB 2.0 ports. Dunno about the price though

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Boatswain posted:

But they are so heavy?

I guess if you don't care about mobility it'll do, but I hated lugging my old 13" MBP around.

Most people who have 15" MBP at my work use them mainly as a desk machine and barely carry them around, except maybe taking them home on the weekends.

For portability most people go for 13" MB Airs

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

gucci void main posted:

I've used one in person. It's bad. The 15" model's scaling is bad, too, so there's no bias. The 11" has a great screen if you don't need IPS. If you need an IPS display that badly you're doing stuff that requires a 15" model.

Once again Sulk, you are wrong. I have my 13" rMBP running at 1680x1050 and it looks brilliant

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

benisntfunny posted:

Not really the right thread for this and there is no legal way to install Mac onto anything from a Windows PC.

My guess is that, No, USB doesn't work for the OS but I could be wrong. I think only Thunderbolt/Firewire will work.

USB has been perfectly fine for OSX boot drives since the Intel CPUs were introduced

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Bob Morales posted:

Apparently, Hell hath frozen over. Ars has a review of the loving Belkin Thunderbolt Dock.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/07/review-belkins-299-thunderbolt-express-dock-works-well-costs-lots/

Bottom line is that it works great, and even works in Windows except for the USB 3.0 ports not getting recognized. The USB 3.0 ports on the Mac only run at 2.5Gbs instead of 5.0Gbs, but that should only matter if you've got some RAID or SSD setup.

I'm pretty disappointed with the Belkin dock. Only one extra Thunderbolt port and no DVI, HDMI or VGA connector on it restrict it for people who want to use additional monitors as well as TB external HDDs or other TB dongles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

There needs to be more and better TB docks made. The Belkin one sucks because it only gives you 1 TB port, no VGA/DVI/HDMI port and only three USB ports. The Matrox one sucks as well. Surely the Mac community is screaming out for something good, with multiple TB ports and at least a DVI/HDMI port built into it like most PC laptop docks have.