Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

eames posted:

I’m guessing SSD Trim enabler will be updated soon which should make the whole third-party TRIM SSD drama around Lion a non-issue. Hopefully.

I tried this out on my MBP (mid-2010, with an Intel X-25M) that I updated to Lion this morning. I had used the TRIM enabler on Snow Leopard and it worked fine there.

After upgrading to Lion, checked System Report, TRIM support = no

Re-ran TRIM enabler, checked System Report, TRIM support now says yes.

Take what you will from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

strangemusic posted:

It was the Nest thermostat! Ummm... Is there an :unwoop: emote yet, because this is where it would go.

I'm amazed the Apple Store has to be taken down just to change stuff. Is their backend really that bad? I think it's just a tradition now.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Mr. Despair posted:

I think alot of mid range to higher end laptops DO come with MDP. HP's envy line, or the Thinkpad x2x0's too. Most desktop cards come with MDP too.

I don't know about MDP but Dell stuff has DP all over the place. Latitudes, their monitors... all the ones I've seen anyway.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

cbirdsong posted:

I wonder if you can actually plug three monitors into the new MBP. It has HDMI and two Thunderbolt ports.

Specs page says yes. Full native res on built in display and up to two 2560x1600 external displays using VGA, dvi, dual link dvi adapters or native MDP.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Bryne posted:

The flash/SSD is the little chips on the left side, below the fan. What about that looks removable to you?

Looks removable to me. The silver part just to the right of the chips is the socket. You can see the edge of the PCB as well if you look closely. The socket looks similar to the one in iFixit's teardown of the Air. http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-MacBook-Air-13-Inch-Mid-2011-Solid-State-Drive/6371/2

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

ptier posted:

I am trying to parse the "Multiple Displays" aspect of the new MBP:TNG.

I almost wonder that if it isn't driving that internal display, if it can drive the HDMI? I have heard nothing about it, and I will probably have to wait till someone tries it or I get my machine. 3 external monitors (2 MiniDP / 1 HDMI) would be freaking amazing, but I will gladly take 2 + Retina Display on the computer.

So Epic.

I will be trying at least 2 external and maybe 3. (hooking up to dual DVI KVM) In fact I was looking for multiple Thunderbolt ports on the new MBP for this reason and got HDMI as a bonus.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

CaptainCrunch posted:

And that'll be 3 giant screens of linen if you full screen an app, right?

Yes. (I've done something similar - RMBP built in screen, HDMI->DVI output, 2x mDP-DVI adapters)

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
I haven't noticed any choppiness on my Retina MBP and I usually run it at 1650x1080 (the next to highest option).

I am getting the weird graphic glitches though as detailed in this thread. Changing the resolution or switching the graphics card back and forth fixes it, and it seems to happen after waking up from sleep.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Mercurius posted:

I haven't noticed anything like that running the latest ML Dev Preview, so when ML comes out you should be alright.

As far as asking if the choppiness is more noticeable when on integrated rather than discrete, I was at a conference last week and used it for 8 hours straight running on battery/integrated (at the native retina resolution) the whole time and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

Given the GM seed of ML is now out, I'll throw that on and see if there's any difference in performance.

Yeah, I'm basically waiting on ML to see if it gets fixed before heading to the fruit stand. Since it's easily fixed temporarily, it hasn't been that annoying to me.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

sellouts posted:

No image retention problems here, and I don't notice any sluggishness. So I dunno.

Same here, and I even use Firefox as my main browser, and am running at 1680x1050 (which as we know is rendered at twice that and scaled down).

On another note I wish Speck would hurry up and come out with their RMBP hard cover, I am uncomfortable with my nice new laptop sitting around without a case :(

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Bonobos posted:

I just got one. Its seriously an over-blown issue. People are making it out to be like its unusable. Coming off my 2008 Blackbook, its buttery smooth (running Mountain Lion out of the box).

Only thing I can think of is some people are getting defective machines, or the 2011 were like OMG SUPER-SMOOTH SCROLLING, but I am just not seeing it.

I continue to notice zero scrolling issues on my rMBP. I run it in the 1680x1050 scaled mode. I didn't see any issues with Lion and I'm on ML now and everything seems ok. The one bug I had seems to have been fixed by ML (graphics corruption after waking from sleep, I posted about it before).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

xzzy posted:

Anyone know a secret trick to speed up the "screen slide" when I use the four finger drag gesture to switch between full screen apps? It takes too long and windows won't accept input until the drop shadow re-renders (says to me the space I am switching to is actually just a screenshot because nothing is animated either).

If I use command-tab the switching is almost instant and is the type of speed I'm seeking.

As far as I've been able to tell there is no way to speed up the animation. (I've posted before about this too) You can speed up the Mission Control animations (swipe up/down) via a defaults write, but I haven't been able to find one for the four finger left/right slide.