Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

eames posted:

I’m guessing SSD Trim enabler will be updated soon which should make the whole third-party TRIM SSD drama around Lion a non-issue. Hopefully.

I too have used this without issues in Lion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

kuskus posted:

I popped an M4 128GB into my iMac in Oct '11 as the OS / Apps drive. Never enabled TRIM, and I could never update the firmware on account of no optical and failure to boot from Corsair's ISO's over USB via rEFIt, or any other method (FW, internal partition, nothing works). I use it every day and have had no problems.

How hosed am I?

You will be missing out on extra performance released in the newer firmwares and bug fixes with corruption.

Why not enable TRIM? You can use the new version of TRIM Enabler or run this in terminal:
code:
# 1. Backup the file we’re patching
sudo cp /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage \
/System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage.original.200
# 2. Patch the file to enable TRIM support
sudo perl -pi -e 's|(\x52\x6F\x74\x61\x74\x69\x6F\x6E\x61\x6C\x00{1,20})[^\x00]{9}(\x00{1,20}\x51)|$1\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00$2|sg' \
/System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage
# 3. Clear the system kernel extension cache
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
Welp, just bought a MBPR to replace my 2010 15". I've been waiting for a better screen (IPS) and more RAM as I do photography and use VMs at work. 768GB/16GB here I come! :D

I am hoping the improved cooling system makes for better lap temperatures. My current MacBook can't be used on my lap without some sort of lap 'desk'. Too much heat!

Looks like ship times are 2-3 weeks out regardless of the configuration.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Just Another XY posted:

I just ordered a new 15" MBP + Retina Display yesterday. They're quoting me 23 - 27 July as my arrival date.

Is this true? :sigh: If so, I'll be waiting a long time for this computer. Anybody know how accurate these shipping arrival dates are?

I ordered mine on announcement day and it finally shipped this week. They quoted July 2nd and instead it will be June 29th. I estimate it will arrive a week early max.

[Edit]: Min != Max. hurr

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Applesmack posted:

Grats!

I'm planning to order a Macbook Pro 15" 2.3 Ghz tomorrow. I have a few questions:
1) Is the $100 screen upgrade worth it? I would think the higher res would make a pretty big difference in coding since you are able to see more and are also able to multitask better, but I am also wondering if it improves the screen.
2) How well would the Nvidia 650M 512MB fair for some light gaming? I'm mostly concerned with if its able to run Diablo 3, Starcraft II and Valve games(source engine) at decent settings.
3) Is the 5400rpm HDD acceptable or does the 7200rpm HDD result in a far faster machine?

This is going to be my first mac and it costs me 2.2k with the Apple-care warranty + tax. Hope it will serve me well!

1) The upgraded screen is amazing; if you have the cash go for it. The downside to it is the lack of glass; my MBP had the keyboard etch into the matte screen (due to the flex from lack of rigidity of the glass)... my screen had to be replaced by Apple and now it's on my watch list.

2) The 650M is a huge upgrade from my previous 320M in my MBP. I play Diablo III at 1440 with everything on high except shadows. Runs great!

3) The hard drive is going to be slow as piss. It will make you hate OSX. The 7200 will be better but nothing will make it feel fast. I suggest saving some cash and replacing that drive with an SSD.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
I am having problems with screen backlight uniformity on my MBPr. It isn't 95%+ uniform like my 2010 MBP. Whites are dim in a couple of spots which is noticeable when sliding a window or space left to right or vise-versa. I am very sensitive to this; I purchase high quality IPS screens to prevent the backlight uniformity issues.

Does anyone have a great, uniformly lit retina screen?

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Yeast posted:

It's sounding like a Mac Rumours thread here suddenly.

Jink, take your machine back if its within its 14 days, state your case and have them swap it over.

Bleh. It's a custom build. Will take another month at the least to get another one.

I will gladly accept the fact that the screen isn't perfect if it's standard.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

jink posted:

I am having problems with screen backlight uniformity on my MBPr. It isn't 95%+ uniform like my 2010 MBP. Whites are dim in a couple of spots which is noticeable when sliding a window or space left to right or vise-versa. I am very sensitive to this; I purchase high quality IPS screens to prevent the backlight uniformity issues.

Does anyone have a great, uniformly lit retina screen?

Going through with an exchange for a replacement. Already missing the IPS screen.

4 weeks until I have another retina. I hope LG or whatever supplier of these LCD panels have resolved their issues.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Heisenberg1276 posted:

Arranged for a replacement RMBP - I love everything about it except that it's got fairly serious image retention issues. I hope the replacement doesn't have this problem.

Does anyone here have a RMBP that doesn't have image retention problems?

I didn't have retention issues but had pretty significant LED Backlight uniformity issues. Ended up exchanging mine as well.

Seems that the display tech isn't fully ready; they are having QC issues.

sleepness posted:

Can you elaborate on some of the tasks you are doing that you found to be slower? Reason being I'm looking to buy a RBMP but would not be happy experiencing what you are.

Usually what feels slow is the scrolling/moving windows around. On my MPBr I felt the laptop chugging to move things across the screen. It's a limitation of the GPU setup; there are too many glorious pixels to move around. Even still; the MPBr seems to paint to the screen more than my 2010 (I can track an image moving around much easier than on the 2010).

I haven't felt anything else be slow such as what sleepness is feeling. Even my VMs are blazing fast.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

eames posted:

I ordered a CTO rMBP last week and figure it will be assembled within the next few days.
What worries me the most are the ghosting/image retention issues.
Someone on arstechnica mentioned that it only affected the very first batch of rMBPs and the QC issue is completely fixed now. It would be nice to hear from rMBP owners with this issue and how they solved it.

AFAIK Apple doesn’t do direct replacements for CTO items and that worries me (even though my machine has not arrived yet).

I wouldn't worry about this. I custom built a rMBP and had backlight issues. Within a week they sent me a brand new model with the same build direct from China.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

mediaphage posted:

Welp, App Store is yelling at me to download the rMBP SMC update, so it's ready, I guess?

Sorry if this was posted already.

I am hoping this SMC update fixes the absolutely wacky problems I am having with sleep/resume; video flashing, system crashing, forced rebooting. The problems are making me regret the rMBP!

In other news:

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
To any MBPr users that have trouble with their computers kernel panicking after a deep sleep.... You might run into a bug with Bluetooth and ML:

http://blog.avatron.com/post/28135386805/kernel-panics-mountain-lion-and-bluetooth posted:

We discovered a fascinating obscure bug in Mountain Lion. Fortunately there’s an easy workaround. Here’s the bug:

Sleep your Mac (either explicitly or by closing a laptop).
Turn off all of your Bluetooth devices.
Wake your Mac.
Watch helplessly as your Mac goes into a Kernel Panic.

The workaround:

Don’t do that. At least not in that order.

If you turn off your Bluetooth devices before sleeping, you’ll be fine. If you don’t turn off the Bluetooth devices at all, you’ll be fine. It’s only if you turn off the devices while the Mac is sleeping that this happens.
http://blog.avatron.com/post/28135386805/kernel-panics-mountain-lion-and-bluetooth

I have since uninstalled AirDisplay and updated other kexts installed (Airfoil, removed Virtualbox, removed Soundflower). Here's hoping mine stops kernel panicking!

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Neurophonic posted:

I'm fairly sure that a certain subset of Core Animation invokes the discrete card for performance reasons, the Twitter (and other apps) devs should be aware of this and work around it, in my opinion.

I've found that ML forces the discrete card much less than Lion ever did (with the exception of multi monitor).

Is anyone else noticing this?

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

barfoid posted:

I got my 15 in ch macbook pro retina. It is awesome! but, it has the LG screen instead of samsung. I dont see any sign of image retention so far... anyone have experience with this?

You will have image retention. It just takes time.

Apple phone support refused to replace my LG screen citing 'it's normal for IPS screens'. It took a trip to the store to get it tested and replaced. My Samsung screen is terrific

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

barfoid posted:

ugh. how long did it take to show up? what exactly did you try telling them before you went to the apple store? what did you say when you were there?

It happened a couple months into ownership. It shocked me when I used the "Solid Gray Dark" solid background color and saw my previous windows burned in.

I made a request with the Genius bar regarding image retention. I stated that images were staying on the screen for long periods of time after displaying a window or text for 2-4 minutes.

When I got there, I sat with the laptop open on a couple windows and the dark gray BG. I then showed the genius the burn in with the windows 'etched' into the BG when I minimized everything. He agreed it was a problem and admitted Apple knows about the issue. He ran the test and confirmed it failed. I inquired about the test and he stated that the screen will be replaced if the laptop shows retention for longer than 4-5 minutes.

Some more information: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1422669
Checkerboard tester: http://www.marco.org/rmbp-irtest.html (the tech said this is the exact same test Apple performs)

To check your panel, run the following in Terminal:
code:
ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6 
If the result starts with LP it's an LG, if it starts with LSN it's a Samsung.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Suqit posted:

Yeah but you have to buy the adapter.

You can get something like this

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB571Z/A/mini-displayport-to-dual-link-dvi-adapter

This thing is absolute poo poo. The worst adapter I have ever had the displeasure of using. Sleep->Resume usually results in digital snow, sometimes the display randomly cuts out while being used. It's a rampant problem with these adapters with no fix in sight from Apple. gently caress these things!

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

etalian posted:

At least the new rMBP finally come with a standard HDMI connector to help avoid all the adapter cable grief.

Except the fact that the HDMI port is single link DVI only.

Then there's the argument "get a monitor that supports DisplayPort!"... Well, Apple won't output RGB to those monitors (only RGB to Apple Cinema Displays). My DELL U3011 only receives YCbCr, which I can't calibrate and the colors are absolute poo poo. The rMBP under Windows? RGB all day long.

Then there's the fact that dual link DVI monitors can't be rotated under Displays without being forced to a lower resolution. (My Radar was closed as a Duplicate).

What the gently caress, Apple.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Mercurius posted:

I am using a Dell U2410 at work with my rMBP and it's outputting to RGB through a mini-DP to DVI cable just fine. I used to have the same problem when I was running a a poor quality mini-DP to DP cable instead, but switching the cable to use DVI instead of DP on the monitor end fixed it up immediately. From the poking around on forums I did, it's something to do with the way the mini-DP signal is encoded through Thunderbolt in OS X that the Dell monitors don't like when it's coming through the DisplayPort on the monitor. An active mini-DP->DP converter (instead of a passive cable like I used) would probably also fix this.

I've had zero issues with the actual HDMI port and it's always out RGB with normal colours regardless of whether I'm using straight HDMI or HDMI->DVI cables.

I am using a certified Mini DP -> DP cable right now with no luck. A Mini DP -> DVI cable won't work for me because I need dual link DVI (which requires an active converter that I already have). My previous DELL monitor didn't have issues because I could use a single link cable (HDMI->DVI).

I don't think it's a cable problem. I think these issues are OSX bugs with large resolution screens.

Where are you seeing the active Mini DP -> DP cables? Mini DP->DP is passive in nature due to only changing connector size. Do you have any links to more information on this? Frustrating to have an expensive useless dual monitor work machine.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Mercurius posted:

Looks like I'm getting confused about active DP converters and I'm thinking of active mini-DP to Dual-Link DVI connectors. What's on the other end of the active Dual Link DVI converter that you already have?

Also, this appears to specifically be an issue with Dell monitors (and might just be Ultrasharps) because they don't like the way that OS X sends the mini-DP signal over Thunderbolt. You'd probably find if you tested it with an older Mac that doesn't have Thunderbolt port and only has mini-DP that it'd work okay, not that it really helps.

The Apple converter I am using is connected to a DELL U3011. The converter has plenty of negative reviews. Maybe a Startech will work better? It has negative reviews as well. Is there one you are familiar with?

I don't doubt my DELL is misunderstanding the signals as you suggest. I never hear of these problems on any other systems, however. Why is Apple the company that can't correctly handle 2560x1600 screens? They used to make one!

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Mercurius posted:

It's funny, I took the miniDP->DP cable that doesn't work in the U2410 home and tried it with my U2711 and it works perfectly. Maybe the U2711 has a different input controller to the U2410 or U3011?

Also, I haven't been able to confirm this but I think what's happening is the computer is treating the monitor as a HDTV instead of a monitor which is why it isn't sending the picture as RGB.

I agree with your assumption; OSX is treating the monitor as an HDTV (which should not see RGB). Unfortunately, without the secret handshake of an Apple Cinema it looks to be how it will stay.

Apple doesn't have monitors with VESA mounts anymore so the rotation bug probably won't be fixed either. :(

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

echobucket posted:

Do they actually replace the screen or do they just give you a new rMBP?

Apple Store will replace the top part of the laptop only. This includes the screen, hinge and the metal backing with the logo.

The LCD itself is glued to the top of the laptops making replacement near impossible. :(

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

deep square leg posted:

I don't know if anyone else here has had picture quality issues with external monitors, but according to Google it seems pretty common, and I found a fix for my specific problem.

I recently bought a retina MBP, but when I hooked it up to my external monitor via HDMI I was shocked by the poor picture quality. The contrast was all wrong and text was misshapen. No amount of calibration in the monitor or software would fix it. Basically, OS X thinks my monitor is a TV, and is using the YCbCr colour space rather than RGB. I had to override an EDID setting to force the RGB colour space, and it is now working correctly.

Just in case it helps anyone else (scroll past my ranting to see the solution near the bottom): http://ireckon.net/2013/03/force-rgb-mode-in-mac-os-x-to-fix-the-picture-quality-of-an-external-monitor

I've had some feedback since and it sounds like there may be a fix in 10.8.3, which is pretty tardy on Apple's part.

Holy loving poo poo. I have a Dell U3011 running over Mini DP with the same problem. I have submitted a Radar for this problem with it closed stating "duplicate" (will it be fixed in 10.8.3?!).

Shocked to see you modify the EDID setting for this; I never thought to try that.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

deep square leg posted:

I don't know if anyone else here has had picture quality issues with external monitors, but according to Google it seems pretty common, and I found a fix for my specific problem.

I recently bought a retina MBP, but when I hooked it up to my external monitor via HDMI I was shocked by the poor picture quality. The contrast was all wrong and text was misshapen. No amount of calibration in the monitor or software would fix it. Basically, OS X thinks my monitor is a TV, and is using the YCbCr colour space rather than RGB. I had to override an EDID setting to force the RGB colour space, and it is now working correctly.

Just in case it helps anyone else (scroll past my ranting to see the solution near the bottom): http://ireckon.net/2013/03/force-rgb-mode-in-mac-os-x-to-fix-the-picture-quality-of-an-external-monitor

I've had some feedback since and it sounds like there may be a fix in 10.8.3, which is pretty tardy on Apple's part.

YEAH FUCKER.

(Thank you so much for letting me throw the Dual DVI adapter in the trash).

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Anyone with a Retina MBP should definitely install 10.8.3 as soon as possible. Combined with the SMC update that came out yesterday, it sounds like it resolves a lot of the issues with it.

Agreed, this feels like a new machine to me. The video card(s) seem to be handling pixels without much slowdown, the sleep/resume problems are resolved, external monitors are functioning correctly... :aaa:

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
Get the Air! They are incredible. A co-worker of mine bought a 2013 model and it makes me regret sticking with a MBPr. The low weight coupled with speed and battery life is very hard to beat.

Try picking up any other Apple laptop and then pick up the Air. After the shock of the low weight, realize that the Air's performance will be indistinguishable from the other bulky machines. Unless you need to drive more than one monitor or you really need more PPI on the screen... just get the Air. You won't be sorry. You will be laughing 9 hours later when your battery finally runs out. :D

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

camoseven posted:

I'm looking for hi res wallpapers that don't look like poo poo on my retina display. I have no idea where to look or where else to ask. Thoughts? I'm specifically looking for skylines and architecturally interesting buildings. I feel like there have got to be a ton of these somewhere, but all my googling has led to very few photos that don't look pixelated or blurry when I set them as my wallpaper.

InterfaceLIFT!

http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper/downloads/date/widescreen_16:10/2880x1800/ (15" retina resolution)
http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper/downloads/date/widescreen_16:10/2560x1600/ (13" retina resolution)

:)

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Zartans Lady Mask posted:

My new 13" rMBP is doing something weird. Whenever it wakes from sleep whilst using battery power, it really struggles to join a wifi network. I typically have to wait 20 secs, turn off wifi, then enable it before it'll join my network. It didn't do this when I first got the laptop about a month ago; it started about 2 weeks ago. If it's plugged into the mains, then it wakes up and joins the network perfectly. This is reproducible 100% of the time.

Has anyone else encountered an issue like this? I just want to double check that there's no easy way to resolve this before I take it to the Apple Store to be looked at.

I too have this problem with my mid 2012 15" rMBP. I have to toggle the wifi on and off a couple times and then it can connect. The weird thing is it can connect to my work wifi with zero problems but my home wifi struggles.

Binary Badger posted:

Have you tried zapping the PRAM, resetting the SMC or using something like Cocktail, Onyx, or Mavericks Cache Cleaner to clean out your system caches?

The last resort I would try would be to remove all of the preferences in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration listed below and reboot:

CaptiveNetworkSupport
com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
com.apple.network.eapolclient.configuration.plist
com.apple.wifi.message-tracer.plist
NetworkInterfaces.plist

Then go into System Preferences / Network and set everything up again. You did do the Retina MBP specific update to OS X 10.9.1, right?

For the record I also have a 13" rMBP some three weeks old and haven't had this issue.

Thanks for this advice. I've tried resetting SMC and PRAM. Hopefully the plist clearing will do the trick!

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Iucounu posted:

Are there any cooling bases you guys recommend for MacBooks? I don't like using a laptop directly in my lap.

I love my Grifiti Deck pad. It's a piece of aluminum covered in neoprene/rubber. Very thin, very light and no heat transfer.

http://www.grifiti.com/products/grifiti-deck-15-lap-desk-and-keyboard-platform-notebooks-macbook-pro-tenkeyless-keyboards-i

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Pivo posted:

Jesus guys I have zero problems talking to women and knowing where I stand with them, I'm asking about whether my purchasing advice was good, ffs.

haha, it must be that avatar and situation combination. You did fine. Good advice. :)

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Pivo posted:

Well my old MBP crashed way too many times and I was drunk so 2800 dollars after tax later I have an rMBP so you won, alright? This machine is freaking awesome. I hate that my old MagSafe adapters aren't compatible.

Blahahaha. So funny to read this after your recent declaration of this forum's advice of how awesome the rMBP is. Yes, everything is soldered but it's a fantastic machine. :D

I had a 15" MBP with high res screen and was blown away at the rMBP hardware.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Bob Morales posted:

What's the market for 15" Pros like? Are they being bought for desktop replacements or do people actually carry these things around?

I lugged mine out of the house instead of my Air, and I'm trying to think of a reason I would need 16GB of RAM and an i7, battery life is already down to 80%, plus this thing i just a monster in footprint and heft. Woof.

I went with the 15" 2012 rMBP for the extra computing power, screen resolution, and dedicated GPU. This was when the retina first came out so I figured it needed all the help it could get with the increase in pixel density.

Mine is transported from home to work every day so I needed a powerhouse I could pack in my bag. I am a .net developer so I needed a machine capable of hosting a VM at realtime speeds.

When I am home the screen size is great; the resolution is perfect for surfing in its "best for retina" setting.

Portable use? Ha. The battery life isn't great but I can accomplish work for around 3.5 hours if I need to. Surfing might hit 5.5. It's enough.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

FCKGW posted:

I also like Pupil

http://www.pupil.io

I like that fact that it lives in the menu bar and not System Preferences. It's $5 but has a 2 week trial.

Bleh. Pupil feels like they ran away with my money after their flashy website was made and blogged about. Had a few bugs/feature suggestions for them that they said would be fixed/updated in the next version.

Guess what hasn't been updated since their money grab...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Three-Phase posted:

I had one of my first experiences using Windows 8.1 today. Now I've used Windows 7 religiously, and there are interface things in Mac that I don't like but are tolerable, but this was a complete mess! I wonder how much market share that Apple got simply because people balked at Windows 8/8.1.

Yes, Windows 8.1 is a bit of a mess. Great ideas but executed poorly. Windows 10, on the other hand, looks *amazing*. They've taken the great pieces of 7 and 8.1 and meshed them into one of the most coherent Windows I've ever seen. Completely impressed.

10 is available as a Tech Preview. Parallels has it listed in the new VM wizard. Check it out!