Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Bodhi Tea posted:

Do you guys think the 11" MBA screen sufficient for coding?
Sure. The only gripe you'll probably have is the small screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Not without an adapter, which doesn't seem to currently exist.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Momonari kun posted:

Stupid question, but if I get a new Mac Mini, can I use a cloned image of my current iMac's hard drive to boot Snow Leopard? I'm kind of worried about some Power PC apps I have that i don't want to upgrade yet (some old Power PC OS X games, old Final Cut of which I need to install to use the upgrade I have). Would running Snow Leopard as a VM be possible?

Edit: I would assume the graphics card would be the biggest issue, as it's the first time a 6630m has appeared in a Mac.
It's highly unlikely the new Mac Mini can be downgraded to Snow Leopard. Various missing drivers might cause the mini to SL to run very poorly if it were possible.

SL Server can be legally virtualized on Apple hardware, but SL client can probably be hacked to be virtualized as well. The Hackentosh thread might have information on it.

It's best and easiest to hang on to your iMac and use Migration Assistant to migrate your data.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

shodanjr_gr posted:

Any hard drive recommendations for a 2011 MBP? I need to be able to run a Win7 VM and it beach-balls like crazy while the VM is on (I guess due to swapping choking the 5400rpm drive). Would a Momentus XT make a noticeable difference? Or should I upgrade to 8 gigs of ram instead?
If you can afford it, an SSD will make VMs scream.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

shodanjr_gr posted:

I'd need a huge 512GB SSD to satisfy my storage needs and I can't afford to sell my kidney yet :/.
You could buy a small SSD, place only the VM on it, and save your Windows documents outside the VM. Fusion and Parallels both offer that functionality. It's also a very good idea in case if your VM gets corrupted; your documents would be safe and could be backed up by Time Machine.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Inside Outside posted:

I have a quick question that Google isn't really helping me with. I just got the base model iMac with a numeric keyboard. The function buttons, the ones that adjust things like volume and brightness, either don't do anything or do the wrong thing. For example, Volume Up launches the dashboard, Brightness up does nothing, etc. As long as I'm asking, I was supposed to get Lion with this too, wasn't I? It's a brand new iMac from the Apple Store and it came with Snow Leopard.

God everything else is great about it though.
Call up AppleCare. They'll probably give you a code to use to download Lion from the Mac App Store. They'll probably say call back if Lion doesn't fix the keyboard function keys.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Lion will only run on Core 2 Duo and Core i-series processors.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

lol internet. posted:

Sorry, I didn't realized the link didn't state it but this is the Mac Mini OSX Server offering.
FWIW, you can just not use any of the Server software, and it will operate just like OS X Lion Client just fine. Server is just some additional apps installed on the Mac. It's no longer a separate OS.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Short answer: Now.

Long answer: The extended AppleCare can be purchased and activated before the MBP's 1 year AppleCare expires. You get the most value of the extended AppleCare if you activate it with your MBP purchase.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

SourKraut posted:

I'm sorry, you're going to need to explain a little more than that. I'm not saying that he shouldn't get the two year extension - he definitely should. However, I don't see why it must be done RIGHT NOW. He has a full 365 days from the day of purchase to get the AppleCare extension, and whether he activates the extension now or on day 365, it makes absolutely no difference.

Unless there's some Magic Awesomeness™ I'm not recognizing.
There's the human factor: you're not likely going to remember to buy extended AppleCare six, nine, or eleven months from now.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Mac Mini will work just fine.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
BF3 runs great on my now-sold iMac. Also hi movax.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Sell the iMac and buy a new one after you move.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Bitcoin Billionaire posted:

That's weird, I had a Genius directly tell me that the HDD in MacBook Pros is considered a user replaceable part. Might be different for iMacs.
They are. On a MBP, you have to unscrew the bottom plate and then a couple more screws for the HD. On an iMac, you have to lift the glass display off because the alumunium body is all one piece.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
You only got 4? Get 16 if you can! :)

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Better safe than sorry.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I really wish OWC had a native OSX way of updating the firmware on their SSD's. Their options are a Linux boot disk for a small handful of machines, or a Windows updater. I guess I'll make a bootcamp partition on my Mini after all.

I really need to see whether the latest firmware update fixes this stupid hanging that's been happening on mine, before I start taking more drastic measures.
OWC simply resells SSDs. Blame the manufacturers.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

flyboi posted:

QUESTION TIME TIME FOR QUESTION!

So I am not very happy with how my 2011 iMac performs with games, just the base one but it's hard to get 30 fps in most-anything. I was toying with the idea of building a i5-2500k w/ a radeon 9770 but then I came across http://www.dvwarehouse.com/Video-Card-AMD-Radeon-HD-6970M-2GB-for-iMac-27-Mid-2011-661-5969---NEW-p-40083.html

How is the 6970M in the iMac? It'd be half the cost of building a secondary box just to play BF3/Skyrim/Diablo 3 and I could actually use the 27" monitor rather than my 23" 1080p monitors for the games. Is the fps in the 6970M significantly better? My iMac has the 512MB 6770M and it just blows.

Edit: according to anandtech you can't get 60FPS on ultra w/ native res on SC2 and Diablo 3 is really what I'm wanting to play so I guess that answers what I need to do.
You could bump the resolution to 1920x1080 and probably gain back that desired FPS. That's what I did for BF3 on my former 2010 iMac.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Why aren't you using Boot Camp Assistant?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
I think Apple changed this in Lion to make closed clamshell mode a more seamless transition.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3131

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
4 slots. 16GB of RAM was $90 when I bought some.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Sounds right. You can format the drive as ExFAT to make it compatible with Windows without the 4GB file limitation.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
A top of the line 27" iMac will play all modern games with high/ultra detail and 60 FPS at 1080 resolution. The 6970 is the second best graphics out there today (second to the 6990, which is a dual-GPU variant). The Sandy Bridge i5 and i7 processors are both very powerful.

My recommendation for Mac gaming is to just do everything in Boot Camp. Everything but native OS X games like Blizzard titles and indie Mac games either run like rear end and/or are horrible ports. Steam for Mac and Valve games don't run nearly as well in OS X compared to their Windows equivalents, and I think near everything Valve touches is gold. I love OS X's mouse acceleration unless I'm playing a game. I want Mac gaming to succeed, but there's still a long road to go. With Boot Camp, you get all the performance of your games without any of the hassle. Install Windows, install your games, and play.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
That's going to happen with the current design no matter what. The only way to access the iMac's internals is to lift the glass. They're not going to seal the glass against the one-piece aluminum case.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

~Coxy posted:

While you're correct, the 6970 in the iMac is a mobile GPU and is not really comparable to the desktop 6970/6870/5870.
So then it's currently the best mobile GPU on the market?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
VNC over a LAN connection will be fast and probably lag free.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
I don't see why not. Does the online store accept Apple gift cards?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
21.5" iMac has 4 RAM slots just like the 27" iMac. EveryMac has a great comparison of both models.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Technically you can upgrade the HD in an Air, but the cost of a daughterboard with many flash chips is about the same price as a new MacBook Air.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

I've just gotten an Airport Express and I'm learning that I'm apparently a real dummy when it comes to nitty-gritty networking stuff. I need Ethernet for my Xbox and the Airport doesn't have any LAN ports, so I'm trying to set up modem > Belkin F5D7230-4 router > Aiirport/Xbox. I don't actually need the Belkin router to act as a wireless box, just to access the 2 LAN ports I need. Anyone that can help me understand NAT, DHCP, and bridging? Or is there perhaps a router thread that would be a better fit?

e: I should say that the closest I've gotten was with the Airport working in the above chain (I assume the Xbox would have worked too), but only allowing one connection at a time. But that was at 3am and I'm not even close to that now.
Thankfully you don't need to know that stuff to know what to do. Apple's AirPort Utility is pretty friendly when it comes to setting it up for most needs. AirPort Express switches the Ethernet port to WAN or LAN based on how you configure it.

Let me just make clear what you're trying to do. Your router and Xbox are in separate rooms. You want the AirPort Express to wirelessly connect to the router and connect by wire to the Xbox. In this case you don't need to change anything on your router. Connect the AirPort Express to a computer and run AirPort Utility. The wizard has an option to join a wireless network. Choose that and enter your wireless network details. Once you finish the wizard and let the Express reboot, connect it to the Xbox and plug it into the wall. You're done!

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
While Ivy Bridge is due out soon, I don't think the iMac will get updated until summer 2012. If you need to get an iMac, buy it now because you'll still be happy with its performance.

I can't confirm it for a refurb, but when I bought an iMac at a Apple retail store, I asked if I could have a wired keyboard (and kept the wireless one included in the iMac box) and got one for free. If you get your refurb shipped to a Apple retail store, it's likely they'll be just as nice.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

LLJKSiLk posted:

I hear SC2 lags like poo poo if you play 4x4 on the air.
Bump down the settings. Even on a 2006 MacBook Pro I can play 4x4 SC2 with minimum settings and no frame rate drop. Also you should only play 1x1 SC2 so then you can become MLG. Also get Fusion or Parallels and virtualize Windows for those Windows-only programs you need.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

LLJKSiLk posted:

I think this video might have sold me on the 13"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuajBzQ119Y&feature=related
13" MBA is faster thanks to its flash memory storage drive. Trust me.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

A Bloody Crowbar posted:

I'm planning on getting a MacBook soon, but I don't really know which model I should get. I'd mainly be using it as a replacement for my relatively dated desktop PC (Intel C2D, Geforce 250GTS, 320GB HDD). I'd like to use it for coding in Xcode, Eclipse and Unity, drawing in Photoshop and *maybe* some 3D modeling/rigging as well as some moderate gaming (Steam titles like TF2 and etc. though for the most part I only play/have time for indie games anymore). Basically everything I use my desktop for now, but in an Apple laptop.

I'd really like to spring for a 17" Pro if only for the dedicated ATI graphics and larger screen real-estate but if I can get away with a slick (and much cheaper) Air that could give me all of the above at comparable performance I'd love that. From what I've seen on YouTube the Airs look pretty capable, but I'd like to future-proof as much as possible and buy something that will last a good while before having to upgrade.
Even the people who build their own PCs will say there's no way to future-proof computers. Buy whatever is acceptable for your means at the time and accept eventually you may need to get a new computer in the future. Computer hardware and software rapidly improve every year; it's nearly impossible to get a top of the line computer now that will be able to do everything a computer five years in the future may do.

That said, your habits especially in regards to games aren't that demanding. Source engine-based games like TF2 and Portal 2 run great on Airs, and I doubt indie games require more than what the Source engine does. 3D modeling and rigging don't tend to push 3D graphics as hard as games do, so you're fine there. The only concern is storage space, but cloud solutions/external hard drives can help you there.

If you're still undecided, find an Apple store or electronics store that has Apple products and try both of them out.

wolffenstein fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 6, 2012

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

kuskus posted:

A few folks on my video/mograph team were talking today about what we should migrate to if the Mac Pro line goes away. This isn't to say that the current Westmere 12-core machines aren't an absolutely ample workstation, but a year or two down the line if the latest Xeons (8-core+ per cpu?) simply aren't available in an Apple workstation. We already have an Xsan investment on fiber and have retired one of our Apple storage arrays in favor of a Promise. We're also using a couple of Xserves (RIP) as render nodes. I argued that maaaaaybe whatever's in the future high-and iMac plus exterior ThunderBolt solutions could at least do what our current machines can do, but that could be a lot of shoehorning with external enclosures and such. One could argue that since software is more efficient you can do more with less, but with our workload we can really make use of every spare CPU core on the network.

Basically, we used to trust Windows to a lot of our load-intensive creative software and it made us cry a lot. I don't want to return to that.
You really can't beat Mac minis for the performance price point and very small profile. It was years ago now, but there was a Microsoft blog entry detailing how they compiled Office for Mac builds using a Mac mini farm and Xgrid that was cheaper than an Xserve farm.

kuskus posted:

edit: I haven't had the need, but is there any interaction with Airs and Target Disk Mode? Does Thunderbolt leverage this in any way, even with like a FW adapter? Will USB3 TDM on Macs? Here's hoping.
Thunderbolt does have Target Disk Mode, but requires Thunderbolt accessories. I'm not aware of a FireWire-to-Thunderbolt cable.

wolffenstein fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 6, 2012

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

japtor posted:

How do the old Xserve CPUs compare to the current Mac mini ones? And you can fit two in a 1U rack! :v: (I assume the limited RAM would be an issue though). There's this wacky TB rack too but it's not out yet. Whenever the Ivy Bridge models come out that could be another nice bump since the biggest gains appear to be with the mobile CPUs.
Performance is very comparable nowadays, though Minis will always have slower HDs. Still, you can't beat the performance per rack unit when you put Minis on their side.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Choadmaster posted:

I'm upgrading my 2009 Mac Pro with more ram, a couple SSDs, USB 3 & eSATA, etc... I wasn't really planning on upgrading my graphics card, but I figure I might as well ask and find out if there is any reason to, just in case. Mine has the NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 with 512 MB of memory. I don't do any gaming, just lots of Photoshop/Indesign/Fireworks/Xcode work. Is there any reason at all for me to upgrade the graphics card?
You're fine with the current graphics card.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Command arrow jumps between different elements on the page, buttons, etc :(
Function + Up/Down Arrow.

The recovery partition is hidden from Disk Utility. You should see it if you hold Option or Command + R while booting up your Mac. It doesn't contain a full copy of the OS; it will download the latest version of Lion from Apple if you need to reinstall (which is likely never).

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

pipebomb posted:

Good points I suppose. I wonder what Samsung is doing to add 8...probably a little fatter machine.
I'm guessing they're using a smaller battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
For gaming with reasonably high settings, you need at least 1GB video memory. Currently only the most expensive 27" iMac has a 1GB mobile graphics chip in it (optionally you can upgrade to 2GB for $100). In case if you didn't pick up on it in the last sentence, yes, iMacs use mobile graphic chips.

For most games this should be fine, but don't expect your iMac to run high-end graphics on games released years from now.

As for buying an iMac now, wait if you can. Intel's Ivy Bridge is right around the corner, and it's very likely almost all Macs will be refreshed at that time.