Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SmirkingJack
Nov 27, 2002
So within the next few weeks I am going to pick up a new 13" MBP. I was going to upgrade it with a 1TB 3Gb/s drive for $130, but after looking at the laptop's spec sheet on everymac.com and seeing that it supports 6Gb/s drives, I am wondering if it is really worth another $80 to get one that fast.

What do you guys think? Photography and programming are my main things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmirkingJack
Nov 27, 2002
(General thanks for all of the replies)

fleshweasel posted:

whether it's sata 3gb/s or 6gb/s won't make a difference; hard drives simply can't make use of that much bandwidth.

Excellent, thanks.

Rabid Snake posted:

What kind of developing (programming) will you be doing? I'd go SSD + External HD route if you can afford it.

This isn't much of a concern, I don't think. Mostly Obj-C and Java stuff. I was thinking that the speed of the hard drive might help with the frequent compiling.

Doc Faustus posted:

The faster drive speed *might* help if your ability to move photos on/off of cameras or storage was being slowed by the HD, but I think it's usually the opposite. And unless something has changed since I last did programming, it's not typically a HD-intensive undertaking.

For the photos, I was thinking the faster drive would help with the reading/writing during editing.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

No mechanical drive is going to saturate the bus anyway. Don't pay for 6Gb/s on a hard drive.

Also what 1TB are you getting? And what 6Gb/s drive are you seeing for $80 more? Very little about this adds up.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

No mechanical drive is going to saturate the bus anyway. Don't pay for 6Gb/s on a hard drive.

Also what 1TB are you getting? And what 6Gb/s drive are you seeing for $80 more? Very little about this adds up.

This is the 1TB drive I was originally looking at. As it turns out, the other drive is moot because, as was pointed out, it won't physically fit, but it was this one.

SmirkingJack
Nov 27, 2002
So let me get this straight. If I walk into Best Buy tomorrow and purchase a Kindle With Special Offers for $115 I then get a coupon that day for 20% off of a laptop, such as the 13" MBP and which would save me $227, and I have to use that coupon before September 8th?

SmirkingJack fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 8, 2011

SmirkingJack
Nov 27, 2002

qbert posted:

Yes. Or you can do what I did and buy a coupon off of eBay if you don't want a Kindle for around $50.

Wow, thanks. This borders on "too good to be true."

hotsauce posted:

Just keep the Kindle. I have the SO 3g version and have more than paid for it over and over from the SO deals Amazon dishes out.

I gave my 20% coupon to a member here in exchange for a Platinum upgrade...I already have a 13" 256gig i5 Air so didn't need another computer. Not to go off topic too much, but SO Kindle is a friggin gateway drug to savings if you use Amazon a lot (or am Prime like most). It's amazing.

Oh, and I read books and stuff on it daily too...

Yeah, I have no intention of returning it. At best, I'd hand it off to a family member.

SmirkingJack
Nov 27, 2002

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

The Apple store employees told me there's no way to do a dual-monitor setup on an old Macbook 2008. Anyone able to confirm this? Just want to make certain before I ship only one of two of my monitors across the country.

I use a DisplayLink USB video adapter. It works pretty well, as long as you aren't trying to do video or anything close to intensive.

SmirkingJack
Nov 27, 2002

SourKraut posted:

So I'd like to pick up a notebook-style mouse, ideally one with actual buttons (versus the touch-based nature of the Magic Mouse, the new Arc mouses, etc.). Any suggestions? Ideally I'd like to find one with a back button that would work without having to install any additional software, but it seems as if that's fairly hard to find amongst mice that work in OS X.

I don't know the model off hand and I think it only has two buttons, but Logitech makes a small mouse for about $30. My parents have two and I think they are very comfortable. They have a USB receiver though, which has stopped me from getting one in the past, but at least it's the micro adapter.

SmirkingJack
Nov 27, 2002
Is there any reason why I can't use a Jawbone ICON to listen to music (or any audio) from my 2011 13" MacBook Pro? I'm looking for something that I can use with my cell phone, iPod Touch and laptop and is affordable.

SmirkingJack
Nov 27, 2002

Sulk posted:

Short of some $150-200 device that I saw linked a couple times, is there any way for a 2011 MBP to output to two external monitors without using Thunderbolt? I'm guessing no, but may as well ask if there's even a remotely possible way.

I've used a DisplayLink USB video adapter with my 2008 15" MacBook Pro for a year or so now with pretty good success. Video/YouTube get a little choppy, but it works well for everything else. I was using two until one of the adapters died. It isn't a huge concern, but Mac drivers are pretty much at the bottom of DisplayLink's priority list, so the updates are few and far between. They cost ~$50.

SmirkingJack
Nov 27, 2002
I am considering getting a Time Capsule, but have a quick question. If I set it up to use Time Machine, will it be greedy and want the whole hard drive, or can I create a folder and set up TM on all of my Macs to store the backups in that folder, and use the rest as a network share?

SmirkingJack
Nov 27, 2002

NESguerilla posted:

I don't know for sure if I need 8. It's a $25 difference. I mostly want to upgrade so CS4 will run better and so I can actually play games on it (specifically Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3). Is getting 8 gigs going to really help me out there or does it just make more sense to get 4? I am running 2gb right now and this thing is slow as gently caress.

8GB for less than $50? Do it. Skip the McDonald's for a week or two and max it out, you'll be glad you did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmirkingJack
Nov 27, 2002
I have a hard drive plugged into an AEBS for Time Machine. It works great for the automatic backups, but when I enter Time Machine to restore a file it takes a long time to connect to the share and a long time to browse the backups when TM finally loads. Would a Time Capsule, with its internal drive, be relatively instantaneous or is it simply a function of doing this on a network? I don't think that it should matter, but I have an Airport Express as my primary router and the AEBS extending it.