Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Can anyone recommend a good quality PCI/PCIe sound card that has MacOS drivers? Bonus points if it has HD Audio/AC97 Audio headers on board.

(Yes it's going into a hackintosh before someone inevitably asks why I need one with front panel audio headers)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Question re: Air. Do you guys generally find yourself hating the 4GB limitation (2GB on lower end ones too)? I basically run more than 4GB active ram every day of the week, usually within minutes of booting my Mac. Hell, right now I have Safari + iTunes + Mail open in separate spaces and I'm at 2.95gb used. If I open a few more tabs I will hit 4GB easily. If I launch VMware Fusion then that all goes out the window and I'll be sitting at like 6-8gigs used within a short amount.

Does the speed of the SSD negate huge problems with swapping, or do you guys generally feel boxed in? I get that the Air might not be a great desktop replacement or just used as a computer on the go, but even when I'm on the go I feel like I might need to do things that require more RAM.

Sounds like I'm not the prime demographic for an Air in any event though.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 2, 2012

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, it's really an off the cuff question, but I'm thinking about getting the university to pay for a Mac for me, and while I am in love with the aesthetics of the Air I do tend to do a lot of VMware stuff, a lot of Photoshop, etc. Sounds like the MBP would be much more up my alley, even if it is a behemoth by comparison :qq:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm. I can hold off to see what Apple refreshes the line with. Though in all honesty I still think I will be aiming for an SSD equipped MBP. Thanks for the input, guys.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

I think too many people sperg out about how OS X reports used memory. I have 8GB at work in my iMac, and with a million terminal editors, 3 web browsers, Passenger running Ruby, a Ruby webrick server (or whatever it is), and a 1GB Linux VM, buncha text editors, Word and Excel, iTunes, Xcode, I almost never go much over 5GB. I usually only reboot every 30 days (starts getting 'pausey'). I think if I had an SSD in it instead of the peice of crap 320GB or whatever HD it'd be even better, and that's only an i3 CPU.

I don't disagree, but I'm talking actual memory used. I routinely run 2-3 VMs, a buttload of Safari tabs, Mail.app, iTunes, and Reeder (which loves to leak memory) and I don't hit 8GB but I run close sometimes. I just upgraded it to 8 this past month because with 4 I was constantly hitting swap and I could go read a magazine on the shitter with how slow the swapping to 7200RPM disk can be.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 3, 2012

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't think anyone is likely to be able to answer this question, but is there any chance that we'll see Mac Minis that can be configured with more than 8GB RAM? I'd love to get a Mini to use here at the office but 8GB is going to be stretching it with all the VMs I run. Is the 8gb a limitation of the chipset or more likely the physical restrictions of putting more banks of RAM in a tiny enclosure?

I mean I'd love to be able to throw two 8GB 1333 DDR3s into that box and go to town.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

According to OWC you can do that with a 2011 Mini

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_Mac_mini/DDR3_1333

Oh wow! I was bummed because the Apple Store only lets you configure it with 8 max, but I guess maybe that's just the most they'll support?

I'm definitely going to bring this up with purchasing then. Thanks!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm. It's weird, almost as if something is stealing focus away from it. Does it persist after reboot?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

poo poo, I have 6 reallocated on my 1TB, 2 reallocated on my 1.5TB, and 7 reallocated on my boot drive.

The only one I'm not disappointed by is my boot drive, that thing's probably from like 2009.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Get absolutely anything of value off that disk right this second. Use 2GB free Dropbox if you have no other means.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You can probably download a PPC build of Ubuntu or some other Linux; Those might have memtest as a standard boot option.

e: Though maybe not. Apple hardware test CD would be great, but I doubt you have access to that.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

One last thing. Looking for a PCI wifi card for the G4 running 10.5.8. Here's the kicker, it needs to support WPA2(two) and would highly prefer one that does not requite the use of some 3rd party utility. It seems that a lot of the cards out there don't support WPA2.

I don't have a screwdriver handy to tear the card out of my MDD G4, but I *think* I have a Microsoft MN-720 in there. I know it worked out-of-box, but I'm not certain whether it does WPA2. I would give you a better trip report except I am still looking for a copy of Leopard to re-install on that bad boy.

Regardless, I will try to remember to pull the card out tomorrow when I get a minute.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Hmm, the MN-720 seems to be a PCMCIA card. How does that work -inside- a G4? There's no connection for the built in antenna.

I just googled for "microsoft wireless card" so I just guessed it was the mn-720 which it probably isn't; thanks for reminding me though, I'll go pull it out of the box right now and edit my post once I know for sure what it is.

edit: Microsoft Broadband Networking Wireless PCI Adapter MN-730

edit2: For what it's worth though, my MDD G4 has a built in PCMCIA port and Antenna for the Apple AirPort card I guess.

edit3: And again, I'm not 100% sure it does WPA2 -- I can't find a lot of good info online, and I don't have an OS on this MDD to check right now.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 4, 2012

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've got a dozen screenshots on my desktop, about six or seven images I dragged from tumblr, and a whole set of videos because HandBrake just dumps videos to the desktop by default.

I go in and clean everything out once every other week or so, or whenever it starts to bother me. I really just use it as a big transit hub for files that are going to end up somewhere else, but I can't be bothered enough to actually create a specific temporary folder for.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

FlashBangBob posted:

I know this is the hardware thread, however with the updates on Monday, do we figure they may release Mountain Lion at the same time?

I don't think that's likely. We've only been issued Developer Previews at this point, no sign of release candidates that I've seen or read about.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Will a G4 MDD boot from USB? I realize it only has USB1.1, but if I add a USB2.0 card will OF recognize USB devices as a boot medium?

I don't have a firewire enclosure, and I don't have any blank DVDs handy but I need to install 10.5 on a G4 MDD and I'm not sure how to go about that without physically burning a DVD.

I guess that would probably be my only option though, huh? :(

e: If I set it to firewire target mode, can I connect it to my Intel mac and then have it install 10.5 to that volume? :ohdear:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's been a while since I ordered from Apple directly. Anyone know how long it takes between your checkout and when you get a "receipt" in your inbox? This was actually an Educational discount thing so I don't know if it's taking longer because they have to verify some Educational status. We bought it with the understanding that my dad's "faculty" stating at an accredited university will fulfill any educational requirement so I guess maybe there's some validation going on there?

Ordered approx two hours ago, either way I'd have expected an email by now.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So no "thanks for your order, here's a summary, we'll notify you when we ship" kind of thing immediately following the order?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

spoon daddy posted:

I've ordered several things this past year. I've always got an almost instant "Thanks for the order, here's the summary" email. That said, you can check your order status online and verify the info you provided. If the order doesn't show online, call them.

Yeah, it shows online so I'm not worried, just wondering where that email could have gone. Nothing in my spam. Oh well, no big deal :)

edit: Okay, email just arrived. Panic for nothing :q:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 24, 2014

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

With my new rMBP purchase, I have up to one year from date of purchase to buy the full Applecare plan, right? I think that's how it worked last time I bought my G4 laptop, not sure if that's changed now.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm. Will Apple let you pay for expedited shipping on orders? I bought my 13" rMBP on Saturday afternoon and it's obviously still sitting in the "Preparing your order" stage where it'll be ready to be shipped in "1-3" days. They also quote a delivery date of like the 4th to the 8th which is kind of bleh if it does ship in the next three days. I'd rather pay them fifty bucks or sixty or something and have it overnighted or at least second day'd.

Theoretically I could cancel my order and see if the Apple Store has them in stock, but I did kind of BTO it of sorts -- I went with the stock CPU but 256GB SSD and 16GB RAM. Unlikely they'd have that combo lying around.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

fordan posted:

If you BTO'ed it then it's probably being shipped direct from China.

Yeah, I just got the ship notification this morning and it's coming from Shanghai. I didn't jump on the express shipping so I guess I have to wait until the 3rd to drool over my material wealth. Of course the day I get the ship notification is the day I think "maybe I should have gone with the 512GB SSD" :downs:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The 13 also has 2xTB2 according to wikipedia and i ordered mine with that understanding.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Aug 29, 2014

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

In how many pieces is my rMBP shipping? :stonk:

"Some assembly required"

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

fordan posted:

I'd chalk it up to broken UPS tracking.

Oh yeah no, I was trying to be funny -- I'm sure it's just busted UPS tracking :q:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Everyone I know with the 15" wanted the i7 and 16GB for work. Lots of VMs, lots of processing on the road. I do a smaller subset of all that so I opted for the i5 13" but still 16GB for VMs, etc.

I think one of the go-to reasons is "bigger screen", but I actually don't know anyone personally that bought one for that reason.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was just about to ask what manner of software I need to achieve the high resolutions on my rMBP. I likely won't use anything other than the stock resolutions it lets me pick, but it's handy to be able to switch to XXXXTREME hi res mode if necessary.

Finally get my grubby paws on my 13" tomorrow. Long weekend hosed me, deliverywise :argh:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Would it be heresy to say that I'm kind of disappointed with Iris graphics performance on my 13" MBP? I know this is the 10.10 beta so I'm holding out hope that it gets mad optimization, but even before I installed 10.10 I noticed that some UI elements were a little laggy in 10.9.4.

I think the Iris may just not be enough to drive that high resolution screen in some respects. It hasn't really diminished my enjoyment of the rMBP that much, but I can't say I don't sigh a little when I see UI lag when I shift fullscreen spaces, or laggy UI animations on a machine I paid $1700 for :(

Again, I realize I'm complaining about a beta OS' handling of hardware and I'll galdly take it back if 10.10.0 GM is buttery smooth or something, but I'm reading a lot of similar sentiments from other rMBP users, not all of whom are running 10.10

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

Are you using the default resolution?

I'm using the "looks like ???x1050" scaling which as I understand it is the same resolution but with the UI elements scaled. I don't know whether that results in more work for the card or not since it has to push those pixels anyway, but I'm not really a pro at this.

BobHoward posted:

One of the things Intel's integrated video is good at is shifting down to extremely low clock speeds and voltages to save power while idle. Iris Pro's minimum clock frequency is really low, something like 100-200 MHz.

Unfortunately, from some things I've heard it's not great at shifting to full performance mode as quickly as one might like. That's okay for gaming since it doesn't matter if there's 1/10th of a second of low performance right when you start up the game, but for general GUI acceleration the pattern is lots of idle with short activity bursts. You end up with little animation hitches at the start of actions like shifting spaces.

This is particularly annoying because Intel got rapid wake up to full performance so very right on the CPU side of their modern chips.

I'd be fine with it if it was just sluggish on battery, maybe letting me force the card to stay a little more active when the laptop is on mains.

Again, it's not really a huge problem or anything, just something I'll probably gripe about every now and then. Especially if/when they fix it in hardware in subsequent releases.

Ninja Rope posted:

Even rmbp's with the high performance GPU only use it in certain scenarios, the majority of the time they use integrated graphics. It's unlikely Iris is slower than the prior generation iGPUs so what you're seeing is either an effect of the beta OS or is what everyone has experienced since the rmbp (or that feature) was introduced.

Judging by what I'm reading on certain forums, it seems to be the latter. But then again there are people who don't really notice it or just don't notice it enough to post about it.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 5, 2014

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, that makes sense. I may try running it in normal "best for retina" mode and scaling my fonts down or something. I'm reinstalling 10.9.4 right now so maybe that'll give me some relief until they optimize 10.10 (if that's in the cards).. If it still sucks after Yos is out then I may take it in to the Apple store but I suspect they'll just be all "welp, run it in native mode you dum dum, that's why it says *best* for retina".

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Trip report back from 10.9.4: The UI is definitely smoother than the 10.10 PB2 so part of it is definitely unoptimized code (or 10.10 is just that much heavier on graphics, what with the transparency, etc). If 10.10 works as well as 10.9.4 then I'll be happy. It's not SUPER snappy but I can definitely live with it, as opposed to what I was seeing in PB2

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Has there been ANY rumbling of a Mac Mini bump? I'm fairly sure we wouldn't see anything at this phone event so unless it's a silent bump I don't even know what the next likely event where this would be announced could be.

I'm guessing since it's been the same Mini since 2012 it wouldn't be a "silent" update.

I'm not gonna lie: Using my MBP has absolutely made me want to switch my desktop back to Mac. I don't really want to hassle with a Hackintosh again but I guess if the Mini is going to take a while to hit then I may as well take a weekend and do it after Yosemite hits.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does the Mac Mini not qualify for educational pricing? Since the edu. sale ends on the 9th I was going to take the chance that they release something new tomorrow and I'd be able to cancel my order, however it looks like the point is moot since I don't see the Mini on the academic purchase page anyway.

I didn't really expect them to fork over a $110 gift card for a $600 computer or anything, but..

edit: Oh wait okay it does qualify, just not with any gift card. Good enough for me!

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 8, 2014

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ok, phone handoff in 10.10 is awesome but chatting in a public space obviously sucks. If I were to get a new pair of iPhone headphones (mine long since disappeared), can I use those on my 13" rMBP as both in/out if jacked into the only headphone slot?

I don't really know how the headphone jack on this thing works.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

A newer GPU was really the only thing I kind of wanted in a Mac Mini refresh but after using my new Mini for a day and a half the HD4K is absolutely fine. I'm not planning on doing any gaming on it anyway. Broadwell would get a slight reduction in power usage I guess, right?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

It will also be glued shut so you can't upgrade anything.

This sounds like a challenge :clint:

Also it sounds sadly probable.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Literally the first thing I did after booting my Mini out of the box was to shut it down and throw an SSD in there. Night and day. It's ridiculous that 5400RPM spinning disk is even a thing in 2014.

... or 2012 I guess, when the Mini was updated.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

Getting the thing in there is a bit of a pain. I managed to do it without buying that giant staple for removing the logic board. You have to kind of wiggle it a bit. You have to turn the mini upside down after inserting the new drive part of the way so the pins will align with the holes on the inside wall of the case. I just put a 128GB SSD in there and it still has the 2GB of RAM it came with. It's working just fine for web browsing in the kitchen on 10.9.

The hardest part of the whole procedure for me was replacing the little fan shroud that tucks under the left side of the case. I used a credit card to line up the hard drive with its holes. It was finicky to say the least, but I think it took maybe a minute's worth of fidgeting to align properly.

I'd say it was a fairly easy job as long as you watch a few youtube videos beforehand so you know what small cables (and you'll be working with small, fragile cables) to pull and how.

I booted up my Mac Mini with the stock 5400RPM drive and literally 20 seconds in I said "NOOOPE" and mashed the power button before heading to the store to pick up an SSD. Threw a 240 in there and haven't looked back. I'd say that the upgrade is figuratively night and day in terms of usability.

Right now I'm trying to decide whether I want to put another 8GB RAM in there. I've got 10GB and that is probably more than enough for what I do with it, but at the same time it's only another $70-80 to bump it to 16GB, and if I'm going to do it I'll do it now while DDR3L is plentiful and not last-gen. Because OS X: "You can never have enough RAM"

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 18, 2014

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Speaking of the Mini, they'll finally update them when they come out with Yosemite, right? RIGHT? :ohdear:

Next update will most likely be Broadwell, at this point. So probably early 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Do you see anything interesting in /var/log/messages? How about dmesg.

About the time of the incidents, I mean.

If you take it to Apple they'll probably look at the first, at least, so it may have some diagnostic info that may prove valuable.