Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Unicorns bite, but their bites feel GOOD.
I have a late 2006 Mac Pro that I'm trying to upgrade to a total of 6GB RAM with new 2x2GB sticks and the original 4x512MB sticks, but it's only seeing 5GB. The upper board has 2x2GB in slots 1&2 and 2x512MB in slots 3&4, and the lower board has 2x512MB in slots 1&2. It's not seeing the 512MB sticks on the lower board at all.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

I have a late '06 Mac Pro that I'm trying to upgrade it from 2GB to 6GB of RAM, but it's only seeing 5GB.

I've got 2x2GB sticks on the 1st and 2nd slots of the upper board, 2x512MB on slots 3 and 4 of the upper board, and 2x512MB on the 1st and 2nd slots of the lower board. As far as I can tell, this is the correct placement, but it's not seeing the 2x512MB sticks on the lower board. Am I doing something wrong?

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Last time I ask this:

I'm trying to upgrade a late '06 Mac Pro from 2GB to 6GB of RAM, but it's only seeing 5GB. Please help!

The upper board has 2x2GB sticks on slots 1&2 and 2x512MB sticks on 3&4. Lower board has 2x512MB sticks in slots 1&2. RAM itself is all good, lower board does recognize RAM when tested, just not the last 1GB when in this configuration. Am I doing something wrong?

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

flyboi posted:

According to this: http://tesselator.gpmod.com/Images/_Equipment_n_Tutorials/Memory_Configuration_2006.jpg you should be putting the 2GB in board A and the 4x512 in board B (look at 6C)
That didn't work, but I saw a red light on Riser B's 2nd slot and was able to figure out what was going on. The riser slot on the motherboard had a little bit of dust that had gotten lodged in it and apparently was blocking a few of the contacts. Once I fished that dust out and give it a little flush with 99.9% alcohol, it worked like a charm. Thanks!