Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
I'll preface this with the fact that this post will probably sound pretty dumb...but I have to start somewhere and I'm hoping you guys (and girls?) can help me out...

I'm almost 100% new to OSX. I've used my girlfriends MacMini (which is 6 or 7 years old) sparringly since we started dating 3 years ago, but I have no real knowledge or experience with OSX to speak of.

My girlfriends brother just got a shiny new rMBP (bastard) and offered to let me borrow his MacBook Pro (1,1) to see if I like MacBooks/OSX...and he said I could "make him an offer" to just buy it off him once I decide if I like OSX or not. I have absolutely no idea what this thing might be worth. What would be a good resource to figure out what a fair price would be?

As stated, it is -

MacBookPro 1,1
Intel Core Duo 2.16 Ghz
2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SD RAM
500GB HDD

It's pretty "used" - meaning that it looks how you would expect a 6 year old laptop to look. Wear marks where your wrists sit, scratches/dents in the casing, and the battery states that it "needs servicing"

I have enjoyed using the MacBook thus far, and would like to keep it...but I don't want to offer more than it's worth or outright lowball him either. What are your opinions on its value?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Thanks for the information everyone.

Two follow up questions -

1. Mac2Sell said this was worth $490...which seems awfully high. My gut reaction was $350 tops (minus $100 for the battery that would have to be replaced...so $250, really)...Any further thoughts?

2. You mentioned that a Core2Duo was required for Lion and Mountain Lion...is there any way to hack Lion or Mountain Lion onto the older MacBook? I know even less about how a Hackintosh would work...I wasn't sure if there was a way around this and/or if it would be easier since this is an actual Mac.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

ConfusedUs posted:

Time Capsule?

Or just grab your favorite drive and attach it to your router.

Oxford Comma posted:

I thought Time Capsule only worked as a backup? Could I store movies and MP3s and whatnot, and just use it like a regular HD?

I'm also curious about this.

I've been considering getting a Time Capsule to make it easier to share things between my Win7 desktop and my girlfriends MacMini. Can it act as a direct media server?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Shmoogy posted:

AirPort Extreme + external hard drive is pretty much exactly the same. I'm sure there are other routers with USB ports that work pretty seamlessly too.

This got me thinking...can you plug an external hard drive into a TimeCapsule to make an even LARGER network drive?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Abel Wingnut posted:

What do you guys think about buying a refurbished Time Capsule? The proposition strikes me as a bit more worrisome than buying a refurbished computer.

Or am I just over-worrying?

I've been debating this as well...so you're not alone, and I can't make up my mind either.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Just got the Time Capsule I've been wanting as a Christmas/Birthday present...! I won't be home to set it up for a couple of days, so I thought I'd ask in advance:

Anything in particular I need to do to set it up?

I'll be transferring my iOS music&movies over to it so I can AirPlay on the Apple TV, but I thought I'd ask if there are any specific nuances I need to know about.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Really? I thought it could, but you had to do it through a computer (for example, iTunes running on my desktop and the library stored on the Time Capsule)

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

I got my Time Capsule all set up...and I was looking into Time Machine, but I'm not sure if I want to use it.

From what I read, it'll basically take a periodic snapshot of your machine and keep backing up the entire machine until the Time Capsule is full...is that correct?

Can I just have it back up certain folders and look for changes to those folders, or is it an all-or-nothing deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Thanks guys.

How do I partition the drive? I didn't see anything in the settings to let me do that.