Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
I'm sure I sound like someone at Macrumors who has their panties in a knot, but it appears there's a MBA-roulette going on with the SSD and the Displays. The Samsung SSDs are slightly faster than the Toshiba ones (at least in benchmarks) - though in practice it makes zero difference. The problem is that the LG displays aren't as good as the Samsung ones. This might sound like obsessing over nothing, and I originally passed it off as such, but I had a 2011 13" with an LG and a 2011 13" with a Samsung display sitting next to each other in a light-controlled room and the Samsung display is superior even after some (admittedly basic) calibration. The LG seems much more washed out and the contrast is lower. I'll probably exchange my i7 and try and get one with the more common Samsung display. I put up with the SR 8600m problems so I figure Apple "owes" me at least that /justification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Rabid Snake posted:

Is the display difference really noticeable in quality or do you have to nickpick?

Well I found it noticeable when they were side-by-side, I wouldn't otherwise say the LG is by itself bad or anything not by any stretch, but part of the problem is once I've seen the difference I can't unsee it - so in that sense I'm nitpicking.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

NoDamage posted:

Fully agreed. I just switched from a 15" Macbook Pro to a 13" Air as well, and the lighter weight is really noticeable to me, especially walking long distances with a fully packed bag.

Thirding this sentiment. My laptop exists solely to entertain me on the couch, in bed, at the park and sometimes at work. I travel infrequently enough that it's portability in that respect is a non-issue. Coming from a SR 15" MBP I was worried about the loss in physical screen size buying a 13" MBA, even though the resolution is the same. Ignoring the general performance gains, the size/weight improvements is really a treat - much easier to move it about with a couple fingers.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

illcendiary posted:

Do you guys think $150 is a fair price for a mid-2007 Macbook with a Core Duo/4 GB RAM with a broken hard drive and optical drive? The battery and top case are essentially brand new after being replaced by Apple.

It's pretty much par for the course that Apple laptops from that era have broken optical drives. I think 2007 laptops were all C2D so I would say yes, $150 is a pretty good deal.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Bought a brand new 13 inch Air yesterday and so far I'm loving it...except for one thing, it has no home or end keys. I normally make heavy use of these keys to instantly move to the top/bottom of a web page or documentd and to jump to the end of a line I'm editing so I'm kinda missing them. Whats the equivalent (if any) on a new macbook air keyboard?

Command + arrow keys

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Uuudar posted:

To be fair, aluminum laptops suffer from pitting in some cases.

My C2D pre-UniBody Macbook Pro got pretty pitted and I was told it was because I have a fake tooth (hockey accident). Now I have a 2011 MBA which is in perfect condition - still have the same fake tooth though. The new models' unibody material seems to be a lot more resistant.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
Here's a dumb question I should probably know the answer to:

I use my 13" Macbook Air to RDP into various work computers and my home desktop, which are 1920x1080/2560x1440. This is annoying because for various reasons I need to RDP in at those resolutions, which makes the window too big for my MBA's screen and I have to scroll around awkwardly. If I bought a fancy new retina MBP/MBA computer in a month, since the resolution of those screens is at least 2560x1600 - I could presumably now see the whole desktop of the machines I RDP into, since the 1920x1080 RDP window fits inside the Retina screen, correct?

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
What's the current consensus on third-party batteries for an old 15" SR MBP? I know the conventional wisdom has always been "stay away" but my parents are balking at the cost of a new battery from Apple ($160CAD). I would never consider eBaying such a thing, but are the ones from OWC worth even 1/2 as much as an official Apple battery? The current one in the laptop is totally gone and I think it's contributing to the sleep/wake problems they're having, and if the mag-safe falls out for any reason, it shuts down almost immediately.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
But does It have a headphone jack?

Serious question at this point.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
my 12" g4 was an amazing machine

also that's a giant trackpad on the new ones

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
who the gently caress claps at these events/live commercials, come on

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Dangerllama posted:

We already had an interface for straightening the photo, you goober. That's what the loving trackpad is for!

It would almost be better between the trackpad and the keyboard, not above the keyboard.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
We got rid of Function keys! If you want them back, press and hold the Function key!

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
Self-healing copper pyramids is correct.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
This is the worst apple 'event' in years.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

nerdz posted:

This is just loving bullshit. There's no reason at all to remove two ports of the function keys version. The specs reduction and lack of touch bar more than justify the $300 price difference. It's almost like it was done out of spite. Are they one on each side or two on the left side?

They appear to be both on the same (left) side.

http://www.apple.com/ca/macbook-pro/specs/

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
I have no apple stores near me, so I wonder if moving from a 2011 MBA to a 2019 16" will feel ridiculously large.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
My wife's mid-2012 13" MBP is on its last legs, with some trackpad related KPs recently, and other shenanigans, so it's time to start thinking about a replacement. She only browses and watches videos on it, so I'm hoping it will last long enough to replace it with an ARM macbook at some point. However, if it does die before then, is the base MBA trash? Would it at least be noticeable faster and snappier™ than her current MBP? Hard to quantify I realize, and it appears the MBA is nominally faster based on geekbench scores, but "1.1GHz dual-core Intel Core i3" seems like a regression.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Data Graham posted:

What is even going on in this timeline, they remove MagSafe from the laptops (ditching one of the genuinely best features ever for no apparent reason other than they don't care about the tech anymore) and then four years later they suddenly resurrect it and put it on phones

I suppose there's no point in hoping they might be planning on putting it back on the laptops, is there?

Yeah I wouldn't be annoyed if it wasn't branded MagSafe, RIP in peace.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

admiraldennis posted:

Completely true as this was about the first MBPs, I was still glad to have bought one when I did. I needed a portable desktop replacement for entering college later that year and no other Mac was even close to those Core Duo MBPs in terms of speed and capabilities while not being a behemoth G5. It served me well for many, many years and then I loaned/gave it to someone else for many more.

My 2007 15" MBP Core 2 Duo was an amazing laptop, even moreso after I pulled out the DVD drive and put in a OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD + 500GB HDD.

Amazingly, my parents still use that laptop for email/web, although the battery has been long removed, and the Vertex II is still alive.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

That's a tiny rear end phone in their schematic.

Obviously you're not going to be charging the watch or phone while using the laptop, and I tend to shut mine when I'm not using it (mostly because of flying debris from kids).

I have two problems immediately on my wife's M1 Air, and my 16" isn't much better since the trackpad is proportionally larger.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

mediaphage posted:

what a weird comment. most macbook buyers keep theirs forever. it’s part of the appeal. i still regularly use 9 and 10 year old macbooks though both have had the battery replaced.

I was just at my parents' house, who are still rocking a 2007 SR 15" MBP with an original first-gen OCZ Vertex SSD. The battery has long since been removed however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
nootttchhh