Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

I have a late 2010 Macbook Air (Pre-Thunderbolt) that I'd like to get an ethernet adapter for and I have two questions related to that:

1. I'd like to buy an adapter that doesn't require drivers on Mountain Lion. Am I stuck with the Apple option, or are there any cheaper choices? It looks like the Apple version is $20, so it's not so bad if I need to go that route.

2. My Macbook is connected to an Airport Express-provided wireless N network with very good reception strength. Am I even going to notice a boost going to 100MBps wired being pumped through USB? I have a mac mini wired to the same network at home that I transfer a lot of files to and from.

USB2 will easily do 40 MB/sec over gigE so it's definitely worth it.
Mine needs a driver though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

gigE will be faster (or at least the same speed) as either firewire and probably thunderbolt too so just use that.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Selklubber posted:

If you use google drive check activiti monitor if it's crashed. Happened to me once and the battery was empty after some hours.

The Google Play Music or whatever it's called control panel that syncs your library to iTunes has a background task that did the same thing to me once.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

They just (quietly) updated the iMac the other day.

So quietly that when I went to the fruit stand yesterday they had the old models on display (fair enough) but the iPads next to them showed the old range specs/prices.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

1997 posted:

For up to three years the whole repair is covered. After that, it's a paid repair.

Hah, I was about to ask this exact thing. My RevA CrapBook Pro just now had its battery swell up after 7 years of general shittiness.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

That got me wondering, are any computers in MoMA? The Mac Pro seems like it could end up there some day.

Only the best Macs Apple ever made.
http://www.moma.org/collection/artist.php?artist_id=10295

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

eames posted:

That depends entirely on the model of your old Macbook.
If your old one has Thunderbolt and Mavericks, the fastest way is a Thunderbolt cable for 10 Gbit/s networking.
Otherwise go with that "My PIN is 4826" said or restore from an external Time Machine backup if you have one.

Thunderbolt networking is trash.
Target Disk Mode should be fine though.

mayodreams posted:

Doing a RAID0 on your boot volume is an exceptionably bad idea. I like to call it RAID roulette where your data is what catches the bullet in the bits.

As long as you have your boot volume backed up then who cares?
Besides, a 2x 256GB RAID-0 is basically the same risk as a single 512GB SSD.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

The OWC drives have garbage collection, but it's still always better to have TRIM enabled.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

japtor posted:

I'm not sure about slam dunk necessarily, but I would guess maybe Samsung 840 Pro? (Or "evo pro" I forget). It's the more expensive one that can take more write cycles iirc, so theoretically it'd last longer than the cheaper 840. Alternatively maybe just format with more free space left over on the cheaper drive.

While we're on the topic of DIY Fusion Drives, has anyone tried doing a fully external one (like in a multibay enclosure)? Can't think of why it wouldn't work, but I can only seem to find instances of people doing TB SSD + internal HDD Fusion drives.

The other question is whether TRIM support works on a Fusion drive. I assume it would but be sure to enable it manually.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Smashing Link posted:

How long should we expect to wait for the old Mac Pro prices to drop? I really want one of those awesome aluminum cases to set up a server.

Secondhand Mac Pro prices have only been going up lately.

That said, you've always been able to buy empty cases second hand for cheap. It's a lot of work to mod into ATX though.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Ninja Rope posted:

It's almost like that's a difficult problem to solve or something...

Not terribly difficult though, just more effort than it is worth to correct what is basically a running joke at this point.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

You forgot link lights! Goddamn I certainly don't miss that lovely design quirk.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

coolskillrex remix posted:

Im actually sitting a floor above it if that makes a diff.

5ghz or 2.4ghz? its a dual band router if that makes any difference.. i know in the 192.168.1.1 it had both 5ghz and 2.4ghz and i changed both to like channel 9

Usually it's better to name your two bands different SSIDs so that you can associate to one only on certain devices.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

By jerky do you mean laggy or a bad/variable framerate?

Lag is certain, even on a fully wired network for some reason. It sucks because it's definitely not usable for anything interactive.

But even with lag the framerate should be excellent.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

There is a TechNote around somewhere that describes the exact voodooo required with Display Port to get 3 monitors working. gently caress Display Port.

Is changing the video card an option?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Second-hand Mac Pro with a PCI-E RAID card and an external drive enclosure.

If cost really is a concern and it sounds like it might be if you're willing to go Wintel, might as well do a Hackintosh and you can have as many drives as you can stuff into an ATX tower.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Malcolm XML posted:

I have never run into an issue using the TB adapter.

The usb adapter can't handle gigabit and gets really hot so it's not ideal.

Tried a USB3 gigabit ethernet adaptor? They can do ~40 MB/sec.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

kode54 posted:

What would the recommendation be for someone who wants a powerful system, but is already swimming in large flat panel screens? Certainly not to buy yet another large screen that is permanently saddled with a computer, or is it?

FAKE EDIT: I should also mention I already have a powerful system, a PC. That is sometimes a Hackintosh. I'm not so sure whether I would ever feel inclined to buy an iMac when I already have two reasonably powerful PC towers, both capable of running Mac OS X in a stable fashion. Is it also worth mentioning that I built my own towers, the latest as recently as 2012?

This seems like a very off question.

A) What should I buy if I want a powerful system?
B) But I already have a powerful system.
C) And I'm not sure whether I even want a new system, or what I want it for.

Maybe answer your own questions B) and C) first.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Pivo posted:

Yeah I guess by native res I didn't consider the retina resolution, half-res will still look fine though, just won't be "retina". But with the dedicated GPU you'd actually be able to get decent framerates with good draw distance and detail.

I've tried running WoW with the Intel HD 3000 and it was just awful. My 6750M is outdated by now too but at least it's playable without turning nearly everything to minimum.

I get that the new IGPU is somewhat faster, but dude specifically asked about playing games, and anyone who wants to play games on their laptop IMO needs one with a discrete GPU. I've never really had anyone question that wisdom before, integrated graphics aren't that good yet.

I wonder whether games will ever get some kind of option to render the 3D framebuffer at some lower res, add all the UI and text on top at full retina res, then combine the two and display at the LCD's native res.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I don't really care about the argument; it's been a thing since the first MBPs and I bet even now if your battery dies (dies as in refuses to power the laptop and won't recharge) then the CPU will forcibly downclock.

But it's definitely possible to exceed 85W power draw.
CPU: 47W
GPU: 50W

The display would be quite a lot but hard to get a figure for it obviously.
Add in a few watts for RAM and SSD.

You'd probably need a luggable-class brick to guarantee full performance with no battery drain.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

Is it possible to set up a Localtalk network without transceivers if you're only using two computers? I can't find my second PhoneNet box.

It's been a while for me but I'm pretty sure you can. Might need to use serial comms as a last resort.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

FlashBangBob posted:

No need to apologize. Goons, particularly, have an issue with the official naming of Apple products.

Stop calling it an iTouch you heathens.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Action Jackson! posted:

How usable is 4GB of memory under 10.9 for someone who is going to be just doing schoolwork and web surfing and maybe playing a game of Diablo 3?

D3 is still 32 bit (grrrr) so it should be fine.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Pryor on Fire posted:

There's nothing wrong with 32 bit, it's actually a preferable build in most situations. The whole myth that lower bit = old legacy slow bad needs to die off, this isn't a NES we're talking about.

That may be, but we should still be moving towards fewer 32 bit processes, not more.
Every new 32 bit process on OS X is a blight and a scourge.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Granite Octopus posted:

Speaking of Australia, I ordered a 256gb/16gb rMBP from JB yesterday for $150 off the rrp, no accessories or AppleCare or anything. Have they always been able to do those kinds of discounts?

Yeah, 10% is pretty standard especially for EFT.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

The Iris Pro has better memory bandwidth (obviously) but should be worse at everything else.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

The real benefit of having a micro-SD card is not in data transfer, but in cheap slow storage.
I'm not complaining about the iPhone model of having an expensive amount of very fast storage, but it would be nice to have the option of SD to put music and photos onto, that are otherwise "wasting" the nice fast space that the apps and the OS make use of.

If that happened a 16GB phone would probably be plenty rather than a constant juggle, at least to me.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 13, 2014

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

cbirdsong posted:

Yeah, they should just push out a total interface reskin as 10.9.4. :rolleyes:

Sure, but it be nice to get some of these quality of life improvements incrementally as they are finished, rather than waiting to get them all at once.

Bring back the 2D dock!, in other words.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I hate side Dock but now I think about it, if I did switch to the side Dock then I'd be able to put my IRC window on my non-Dock monitor back on the ground floor where it belongs.
So I might try to get used to side Dock after all.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Yeah if I accidentally move the Dock to the second monitor (how annoying, why can't I turn that poo poo off) it will move my IRC window out of the way.
That's not so bad by itself, but the real issue is that every time I login or restart the IRC window will also be up out of the way of the potentially reserved Dock space.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

1997 posted:

Graphics RAM doesn't double when paired.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the GPUs in the Mac Pro don't Crossfire.
So you have 2 independent GPUs with a full 6GB of RAM each.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Thanks. Seems like it would be true to say that most of them never got used especially not with a full pci-x card. I have 2x G4 MMDs and a G5 AGP fully restored and cleaned up but nothing fun to do with them. I've looked into some tethered digital medium format capture stuff but nothing else.

I'm sure very few PowerMacs were ever stuffed entirely full but RAID cards were a great use case for PCI-X and PCI-E even back in the old days of 100-350 GB hard disks. Capturing FullHD footage to disk used to be "hard".

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Unigine Heaven and/or Valley should do the trick.
Although that probably doesn't "exercise" much RAM overall compared to GPU and CPU.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

On the USB3 ethernet adaptor thing, I tried one out and got 40 MB/sec on it which isn't too bad but probably not as good as the TB one.

Pivo posted:

Whatever. At least they're cheap! I mean, microusb cables are like 2 bucks on Monoprice while Lightning is like 10 bucks, but whatever. I do wish Apple would sacrifice some style for realistic strain relief though. It's been such a goddamn pain point ever since I became a Mac user like a decade ago. Every single time, the loving cable fails before any of the proper hardware does. "Oh this is going to be plugged into a cell phone, there's no way anyone will move this cable around and twist it!"

Yeah, and not just the lightning cables but all their cables. I had to take some EarPods back to the fruit stand a few weeks ago.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I want a new Mini so badly. I sort of backed into using an i7 Hackintosh as my only computer a few years ago, and while it performs well and has been really stable (even with homebrew Fusion Drive) I'm sure all the continuity stuff won't work with it and I'm sick of having to hold my breath at every update.

The continuity/handoff stuff is meant to use wifi so in theory it will be perfectly cromulent on a Hackintosh. Or so I pray.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Yeast posted:

I wouldn't be too concerned. They've been in the wild for 3 seconds. Apple will probably push firmware updates as they need to, but if you're buying the retina iMac as a gaming machine, I don't know what to tell you really.

What other choice do you have?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

cowofwar posted:

I have a macbook pro with usb, firewire and lightning ports. I am currently using a crappy laptop hard drive in an enclosure and need a bigger/faster external drive.

What is the biggest/fastest drive at a reasonable price that I can get given the above port options? Price range would be $100-$150. It would live at home so it can be a 3.5" drive.

USB3 but I'm not sure a model of MBP that has Firewire on it has USB3?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

BobHoward posted:

everymac.com says your computer's CPU is an i5-3210m. That's a 35W mobile CPU with integrated HD4000 GPU. It's common for raytracer software to use only the CPU; with the GPU idle I wouldn't be surprised if the chip never exceeds 20-ish watts. Which isn't a whole lot.

(Did you know your computer's fan is actually on all the time? You're not gonna hear the minimum speed setting unless you get your ear real close, and even low-to-medium settings can be nearly inaudible in many cases.)

I thought the whole point of TDP was that if the GPU was completely idle the CPU would be able to Turbo higher and longer? So, it will still use ~35W when raytracing.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Toe Rag posted:

Do Macs no longer come with line-in ports? I just went to rip a record and found out neither of my two Macs have a line-in. I found this on Apple's website, but it seems to be outdated. Looking at the tech specs posted, it seems the only computer which actually does have a line-in is the Mac mini. I would have expected it to be the rMBP and Mac Pro, if not everything.

If I use the iPhone headphones, I can capture the audio with that in-line mic, so the ability to "receive" audio obviously exists. Is there some software workaround I can use to "enable" my line in?

You can buy a cheap breakout cable to turn the combined mic/headphone port into 1x mic and 1x headphone, but it won't be line-level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

There's definitely "USB soundcards" that would add a line level stereo input but they probably cost a little more.