Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

flavor posted:

[Flashback to 1990:] What, you're telling me that I can't upgrade the CPU in this laptop? I'll go back to my Osborne 1!
The thing is, from 2006 until 2012 MacBooks were PCs. User replaceable RAM and Hard Drives, (your CPU comment is disingenuous, obviously) with Intel chips and good for all of us "back then" — the MacBook debut in 2006 was the single best low-end laptop ever sold by Apple, features + performance per $. No more 40 screws into the clam shell to fish out parts and upgrade. They had "evolved" and "matured" to where everybody else had been for a long time in the notebook world. They were gaining many converts.

Then like any good simple idea, they killed that off, because we needed less ports and less connectivity (and less weight!) and oh yeah, while were at, screw that simple ability to upgrade, we want you to pay for the new candy in 2.5 to 3 years from now. No more upgrading a 6 year old laptop, you poor schmuck. We got oodles of converts over from the PC side, and now we don't give a drat what brought you to us — that was over a half decade ago! (NB: Ancient History).

Has anybody come up with a fan-boy defense as to why hard drive and memory shouldn't be replaceable? I get it in an Air, but not in the MBP line. I'm :allears: for the possible rationalization(s).

While I'm at it: is there a reason Lightning cables aren't industry standard mini-USB? I'm truly curious, as to why that is. Oh, I see it's because they're superior and have some extra functionality and they stood to make $100 million by selling the $19 propriety cables. I'm all for a good firm making a buck, but they're becoming a bit bald-faced and heinous about their Capitalism. I hope I can still want to buy the next Mac notebook when that time comes. If I'm rich enough, I suppose I won't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Mercurius posted:

Useful information.
I mainly meant the MacBook, not MBP. The MBA came in and replaced it, it was just too bad the fruitstand couldn't keep both MB, MBA and MBP around, I'm sure they would have all continued to sell well.

Mercurius posted:

The rMBP is basically a supercharged ultrabook form factor so the tradeoff for the size and weight is to have everything glued/welded together.
Also, the whole false dichotomy of rMBP and non-rMBP to shake out the features "people want" is sad from any perspective.
A whole bushel of citations needed and neutrality disputed. What did your "Yep" mean exactly?

shrughes posted:

Why is it that so many Apple complaints are thinly disguised complaints about being poor?
It wasn't a complaint about being poor, it's a complaint about where they were and where they are going. If anything I was being sarcastic. It means I was conveying contempt. I should have used some :woop: or something.

flavor posted:

Whoever calls other people "fanboy" is disqualified as a rational conversation partner.
I didn't call anybody a fanboy. Parse my words a bit closer. I used it as an adjective, not a noun. And really — using a particular word is off-limits? And you're the arbiter on that front? Got it, boss.

I suppose I'm just crazy. A stupid minority opinion....

I guess so.

Djimi fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Apr 9, 2014

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

flavor posted:

My problem is somebody making that their crusade 2.0 after the first one about Snow Leopard against Mavericks fizzled...
Wrong thread, sir. But I understand your problems, deeply. You have already made up your mind. My point about 10.9 was that it isn't that great of an upgrade if you don't have iOS products, and that it was released too early - bugs. Yes Mavericks is a good OS, but 10.6.8 is not by any means a bad OS, not at all. And keeping the OS and upgrading older Macs (2006-2009) with RAM & SSD, works quite well. I've done about a dozen just for my friends alone in the last year. Mavericks causes many headaches. But if you have a newer MBP or MBA, you don't have to "worry" about that, because you can't install < 10.7 anyway.

My railing is against Apple and really nobody else, unless you're their spokesperson and brain trust. I am airing my experience and opinions amongst a group of people who can understand them, or at least I hope so to a certain extent. If you feel persecuted or insulted, I feel for you, but it's not like you are Apple or have any obligation to speak up for their decisions or shortcomings.

I'd wager that I've been using their products longer than you've been breathing, or at least using computing devices. I'm a professional in the industry with 20 years of paid experience, and a dozen more as a hobbyist. I'm not making poo poo up to make you or anyone feel bad, I'm calling it how I see it. I have a good memory and I've used all their computer products. Yes, all of them. Apple IIs, SE/30, IIfx, Newton, every Quadra, every Performa, PowerBooks, every tower, the Bang & Olufsen 20th anniversary Mac, the PowerPC NON APPLEs (!), imagewriters, laserwriters, MacMinis, the Cube, eMacs, the iMacs, the iLamps, the Xserves, the iPods, the iPhones, the iPads, the Apple TVs.

That reminds me... you should have heard me curse at work for a few weeks when the round mouse shipped with the Bondi Blue iMac, which of course puzzled people in my IT group, because I was the Lead IT Mac guy. I'm supposed to love everything they do, right? Stupidest thing ever made in Cupertino (or was it China?)

And Apple isn't doing as well for me as a customer as it once was (2000 to 2011 it was very very good). That's all. Yes they are making new technologies available, yes they are pushing the envelope in designs — as they always have. But sometimes that comes at a price for many users who've had enough history with the company and their products to feel somewhat betrayed by a few of their choices.

If I can't speak freely about what I see happening with Mac hardware in the Mac hardware megathread on SA, then I guess somebody drank all the kool-aid without me. All I want is great Apple products, like anybody that likes their stuff. I don't want devolution. And I certainly don't want change for the sake of change. People do invest in peripherals and external gear. When 'industry standard' ports disappear or are re-invented as new form factors, sometimes it gives one pause, and hurts the check book (not mine... others).

Is that too much to ask, of a company I've been a loyal customer to since I was a kid?
It's not a black and white world. I like about 80% of what they do. It doesn't mean I should overlook the 20% that I don't. And it doesn't mean that I shouldn't be able to discuss it because it may rankle some sensibilities.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

flavor posted:

I don't have a problem with your opinions per se so much as with the way your feelings of superiority of your opinion express themselves in your assumptions It's also okay to defend something without being a spokesperson.
So it's okay for you to condescend reflexively. Basically only your replies in this thread have inclined me to outlining my background. Because of earlier responses where you have been dismissive and smug (almost continuously), where you seem to think I don't know what I'm talking about. I never called into question anyone's intelligence. You've taken the commentary personally, you've decided to defend Apple. I guess that puts you into a position that is uncomfortable.

flavor posted:

1986-1996 Apple wasn't the real Apple
Ergo: August 2011 to the present, same thing?

Mercurius posted:

So considering everything on this list, have you actually used a MacBook Air or Retina MacBook Pro?
Yes. They're quite something. I don't care for the MBA, it's not for me personally. But I've set up a lot of them for others. The rMBP is fine. When I work on something important to see, I like a much bigger display. I've got 4 laptops, (MBPs & Thinkpads), 3 of them stay in their chosen locations, one for my private office, one where I'm consulting for a year-long project, and one at home. My 15" MBP w/ 500GB SSD & 16GB RAM is my tote-around notebook. I'll probably have one a new ones in about 1.5 years.

On to new business: my peer at work just got back from 3 days at NAB in Vegas and he said that there was almost a total dearth of Mac Pros at the convention. Only people selling peripherals for Mac Pros were using them. All the 4K video / camera / screen stuff (which was the bulk of the event it sounds like) -- not really there yet. Anybody here using one daily, for work or for fun?

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Mercurius posted:

I also don't really agree with your August 2011 comment either because I quite like all the stuff that's been released from Apple recently.
That was just snarky.... sorry.

Mercurius posted:

As for the lack of Mac Pros as I understand there has been an extremely limited supply of them so far (and there are still orders that were placed in January that haven't been filled by Apple IIRC).
I wish I did some more video to justify having one. We're going to be upgrading all the wiring to 10G in one of our building's wiring to be ready for 4K video, maybe we'll get a couple of cylinders by then. Lot of the editors are Avid-centric though.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Caged posted:

For what it's worth I owned a 2009 13" MBP pretty much base-spec 2.26GHz from new, paid £760 for it with 3-years AppleCare, upgraded it to 8GB RAM, a 240GB SSD and put a new battery in and sold it last week for £500. Made the purchase of a rMBP a lot easier.
Savor that memory.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Housh posted:

I put a 120gb SSD in my 2006 Macbook 1,1 and I can't believe I didn't do this earlier. I highly recommend SSD to anyone with an aging laptop. This should tie me over nicely until the 12" MBA :D
You (and most people) didn't do it earlier because of price+storage limitations. Mostly price. I've been evangelizing for over 3.5 years now for friends and clients to go SSD with their yesteryear hardware, but it's only in the last year and a half that it's become much more reasonable and reliable.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data
I'm going to break in with something hardware related, I hope that's ok.

This looks like a pretty good start to a video production rig, yes or no? Upgrade to SSD of course. Anyone here have (or had) the 2x 6-core MacPro 5,1? I also really want to have a "classic" tower. The trash can is a bit too dear, currently. Thank you.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data
Thank you

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Binary Badger posted:

You might be thinking of EVGA who makes a GTX 680 Mac Edition that will work right out of the box.
This seems promising. I may need it. Are you saying that there wouldn't be drivers for the GTX 970 < 10.10 ?

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

8ender posted:

The older MacBook pros were amazing for repairs but the newer pros aren't terrible. A lot of people don't remember when laptops from Apple and others were a sandwich of boards and plastic held together with eleventy billion screws. Unibody laptop design has been amazing for repairing.
I remember working on these when they came out (and before iFixit existed). 37 screws to the hard drive, if memory serves. Unibody is better - but who cares if it's easy to open something up only to look and not be able to replace or upgrade parts in it? That's devolution for Capitalism. That's bad by design. It's a funny thing, if you want to instill the idea of 'appliance/commodity' [buy every three years] and yet play the duality of 'high-end/good design/lasting value', you're kicking both shins of your customers at the same time. If you are a company that isn't lying about your 'green' technology, you'd be designing devices and components that could be worked on and upgraded. The Earth's resources are finite.

Maybe there is a reason that the Mac OS (Finder) icon:

has been two-faced for a long time.
Hail Apple.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

GoldfishStew posted:

I’ve had it suggested multiple times and Apple suggests it on their site for security purposes
It could be for security, if you create a standard user (you'll be using the admin account to make any changes, install anything etc.) I would think that's a bit of a pain and not very useful since as Pivo said you need to elevate and supply credentials to any system changes in MacOS anyway.

For me, the reason to have another account is if you ever want a 'vanilla' account—if you run into an issue or somehow corrupt your user profile. That's not usually an issue, but if you are an 'under-the-hood' user, you may be changing your UID, or shell acount or messing with POSIX things. Having another account is like having another way to get into your house if the key to the front door breaks off in the lock and you can't get in. If you have an issue with your default profile, you can test it against the other profile and perhaps obviate the need to re-install the OS.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data
Anybody swap in a MBP 13" Early 2015 battery before? A friend cannot have her laptop gone for the 7-10 days that Apple quoted (it's her everything she said).

So I said yes, and I'm still waiting on the battery to arrive. But I didn't realize I would need to use adhesive remover and/or heat it up. And it's a 36-step, 45 to 120 minutes affair—according to iFixit. Nice keeping Mac hardware alive, but yeesh Apple, really? It's a battery. :argh:

It's starting to remind me of the HD upgrade/replacement for the iBook 12" — remember how fun those were kids?

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

AlternateAccount posted:

Just take your time, it's not technically difficult, just dealing with glue makes everything suck. And skip pulling the logic board, etc, if you can.
Thanks for the insight. If it warrants a story, I'll report back.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is there a go-to or recommended option as far what memory I should buy nowadays?
Buy 2 modules of 8GB (or 1 if for some reason you have an 8GB stick already) of 204-pin PC3-12800 (1600 MHz) DDR3 RAM.

Brands: Crucial, G.Skill, Kingston or Corsair. Looks to be $58 ~ $70 USD per module, from a quick search. That's my recommendation.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data
I realized I haven't bought any external drives in a while. G-Tech was my go-to when FW800 was the thing, and I believe I have one or two of them that are USB 3.0.
Any other recommended brands?

And it doesn't have to be super portable. It will be on a desk most of the time, as a first tier backup. Build quality is more important. I would go for 1TB, as it'll be backing up 500GB, if possible.
(I know that it's not directly a Mac hardware question per se, but I follow this thread). Thanks.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Bob Morales posted:

The WD MyPassports go for $69 (2TB a little more for 4TB) at Best Buy quite often. I like the 2.5” drives as I feel they last longer and are powered by USB

Thanks. :tipshat: I was hoping for a bit more discussion, but I suppose this is the wrong thread for storage.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data
Thanks everyone for the storage feedback. :)

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Howard Phillips posted:

Yeah the guy mentioned replacing logic board. As long as I get 2 years out of it I will be happy. Love the keyboard on the 2014 Macbook Pro.

The quickest way to determine your graphics is to turn your laptop over and if the EMC reads 2876, it's integrated, and if it's 2881 it's dual graphics.

Curious - what is/was your use case for it and daily use? Did you ever tax it that hard? I have one, so I am curious.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I like Rene Ritchie’s advice on new iMac buying: don’t put a spinny disk in your machine and get as much internal SSD as you think you need/can afford (at least 256gb) and then add external storage as you need it for media/etc.
I like Rene Ritchie too, but that should be anyone's advice. I guess years of the Apple's greedy markups have made people not think clearly?

To be honest, if Apple cared about making elite products, they wouldn't even have an iMac with a 5400 HDD as an option in 2019.
They care about having expensive products, Q.E.D.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

eames posted:

Apple could probably source a decent (860EVO) 250GB SSD for less than $50 and it'd be an infinitely better experience than the 5400rpm base option. I can only assume that they're sitting on a pile of old 2.5" drives.

I suppose to be generous, the use case of the lowly 5400 spinner is that it is 1TB and for grandparents who only want to have a lot of cute grandchildren photos, a slow, big-screen all-in-one that doesn't make them have to plug in an external drive (and because they are just not sure about using or paying for iCloud), is a good choice.

Maybe that is possibly the reasoning at 1 Apple Park Way. Yes they could source a 512GB EVO or the like.

I think Jobs would have had the courage to say good bye to spinners. But I digress....

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Gaz2k21 posted:

I’ve been given a 2008 MacBook by a friend, it seems like it’d be perfect for basic browsing etc so I’m planning on sticking an SSD in there and maybe bringing the ram up to 8gb (may only read 6gb )
8GB will work.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data
A friend just bought a MacBook Air, and wants to connect it to his circa 2014 27" Cinema Displays. He has two, one at his office and one at home.
What are some recommended docks (and necessary dongle/adapters) to make one connection on the MBA bring up the display along and power it, and have USB ports, ethernet etc.?

I had heard some Dell dock was a good fit for this, but I'm not certain of that for what he bought. And I'm open to whatever works, and don't care if it's too expensive (not my money). I will be buying two of them, if he likes the first one. I know a couple pages back there was some discussion of this, but it was MBP talk, and this Air has me concerned there's going to be a catch or gotcha somehow.
Thanks. :tipshat:

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Bob Morales posted:

There's not really a good way to connect both power and video to a cinema display.

You have to do two things: magsafe to USB-C, which you can do with something like this:

https://elecjet.com/collections/elecjet-products/products/anywatt-magsafe
The power part worked.

Bob Morales posted:

Then you have to convert USB-C/ThunderBolt3 to MiniDisplayPort, which you can do with something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/AllSmartLife-DisplayPort-Aluminium-resolution-ChromeBook/dp/B017TZTMBG
This didn't.

Mercurius posted:

...Cinema Displays from 2014 are probably Thunderbolt Displays so your friend will need to confirm that because if they are then normal Mini DisplayPort adapters wont work. If it is a TB Display then your friend can just get Apple’s TB3->TB2 adapter and it’ll work as a dock (but without the power since that’s a separate MagSafe connector).
It's not. So what dock (or dongle/adapter) will work with the Cinema Display and all the ports it provides (USB ports, Ethernet). What does Apple recommend? Something from OWC?
Thanks.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Mercurius posted:

If it has Ethernet on the back of it (and firewire/mini-DisplayPort) then it's a Thunderbolt display as Cinema Displays only ever had 3 USB ports on them. Cinema Displays also have an extra USB cable sticking out of the cable with the MagSafe and mini-DP connector whereas Thunderbolt displays are just MagSafe/mini-DP.

I'm currently using an original Thunderbolt display at work and that only needs a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter to make all of the integrated stuff in the monitor (webcam, speakers, USB, network, firewire) work out of the box. You'll still need to do power separately since it was provided over MagSafe.
Thanks for the reply. So Apple's cable is what I need. It's a Thunderbolt display. But I bought the recommended 3rd party to DP, and that's because I didn't follow BM's reply correctly, my bad.

Let me guess, there's some good reason for the adapter being expensive (still) - "active electronics." And yet a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B is cheaper than a single freakin' adapter. I hope people in 50 years howl with laughter about how stupid we were. Or maybe in 5. I'd watch The Robber Barons of Cupertino on Netflix. Maybe Woz can produce.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Gay Retard posted:

Ironically enough, the Raspberry Pi foundation didn’t follow the USB C spec properly for the new released RPi 4, so higher quality USB C cables won’t even work with it.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/10/20688655/raspberry-pi-4-usb-c-port-bug-e-marked-cables-audio-accessory-charging

That is interesting. Get what you pay for, right?

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data
I'm almost happily using my MBP 14" 10-core in the office, with the laptop screen open and two 27" monitors. I'm using them now, but not without using too many cables directly to the laptop.
So next up: A TB4 dock is needed.

I saw mention of Sonnet TB4. I've read about OWC one and also Anker and a "Razer" - does anyone have any more suggestions, or reviews of any of the aforementioned docks?

Thank you nerdy goons. :tipshat:
I'm very happy with this laptop. I get to retire my 2015 15" now, so far.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Mercurius posted:

...but they're over double the US price here in Australia so I don't think I'll be looking into one any time soon.
They're priced fairly here.

Mercurius posted:

TB4 is backwards compatible with TB3
Yep. I'm in the business - I just haven't bought or used TB4 as of yet.
Hence my question.

Mercurius posted:

I'm personally using a Dell WD19TB at work with dual 27" screens on the 14" 10-core M1 Pro so I can vouch that they work fine with TB3 docks.
Oh coinky-dink... same dock right now with the same computer. I can't get it to use its two DisplayPorts nor DisplayPort and HDMI port with 27" monitors without mirroring.
Only way I could do it was by plugging directly into the second USB-C TB port on the mac, bypassing the dock. Updated the firmware of the Dock this morning too.

Mercurius posted:

If you're willing to go for a TB3 dock I'll throw in a recommendation for the CalDigit TS3+ (a shitload of ports, more expensive) or the USB-C Pro dock (slightly cheaper, less ports, comes with either double DisplayPort or double HDMI).
We have one of those CalDigit docks, but it is at another campus, but I was going to try that next.

Mercurius posted:

One thing to keep in mind is the 14" M1 Pro seems to be hardware limited to the internal + 2 external screens similar to how the M1s could only do internal + one external screen. I can't get it to display on more than 2 external screens at a time regardless of whether it's via HDMI, USB-C or through a TB dock.
No problem for me. Just want two external screens, and I don't care about >=4K displays for now.
Thanks for the info! :v:

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Mercurius posted:

Dell are morons and connected the entire block of HDMI/2xDP/USB-C as one giant MST chain which MacOS doesn’t understand so it just treats it as one singular video output. Plug your second monitor into the actual Thunderbolt port (using a USB-C to whatever cable) on the left side of the dock at the back and it’ll work.
I got a hold the CalDigit TS3+ dock this afternoon and still have the same issue. I think it's because I don't have a USB-C to DisplayPort cable, and the USB-C adapter to HDMI cable is failing the handshake (?)

I can get it to work if I plug that into the MBP directly into its TB (USB-C) port, bypassing the dock(s). So two docks have the issue. I'll be buying a 15 dollar cable and see if that makes a difference.

I believe I tried that port you point out—but I'll try again at work tomorrow. Thanks for the pic.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Mercurius posted:

Dell are morons .... Plug your second monitor into the actual Thunderbolt port (using a USB-C to whatever cable) on the left side of the dock at the back and it’ll work.

e: since I'm back at my desk now, this one:

I went back to the Dell dock and it is working (also a bigger power supply connected ... not the small one for a 13" XPS, though I don't know if that makes a difference).

Now I'm curious as to why the "better" CalDigit TS3+ wasn't (isn't) working. But that will have to wait for now.

Thank you Mecurius! :dance:

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Mercurius posted:

WD19TBs normally use a 180W power supply and we've definitely seen them not provide full functionality when they have a regular laptop power brick in them.

I actually stumbled on how to get the dual screens working while I was trying to get it working for one of my team members who was trying to use 2x 4K screens on Windows when we first got the WD19TBs in. I was using an intel MBP at the time but it was the same behaviour.
I spoke a bit too soon. Everything is working except the Realtek headphone (front)/audio out (back) 3.5mm ports.
I was wearing a headset for video calls which worked fine and the 27" monitors work via HDMI (crappy sound never use those), and then I hooked up my speakers. :mad:

I ordered the Sonnet this afternoon—I'll be done with the Dell soon enough.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data
I’ve been remiss in not replying in this thread.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Wow, using a TB3 dock with a new M1 MBP is super painful. Apparently it can only do 4k30 and is super finicky in general.

In a strange twist of fate, the since the MBP has HDMI, I was able to get 4k60 no problem with the HDMI cable that came with the monitor.

Since I also need a few old rear end usb ports and wired ethernet I'll just get some other slim/easy dock. I don't think I'll travel too much so plugging a bunch of stuff in when I come and go won't be a big deal.

tuna posted:

Do these waking issues still happen with a good TB hub + hdmi/dp?

I know not all hubs are alike, I'm waiting for the CalDigit TS4 to come back into stock. But I'm hoping that solves any issue caused by the lack of TB monitors, even though it's a shite solution of throwing money + cables at a problem.

It's crazy that just telling a monitor to please just work is such a huge ask these days.
:same: 
Also I couldn’t wait for CalDigit, plus I was mad at them.

Perplx posted:

I got a WD19 from work and I found it real buggy with my mac, worked fine with windows, but I haven't tested in months though.

Thanks Ants posted:

The Dell docks had a pretty aggressive firmware update schedule, in my experience they got massively better over time. You need a Windows device to update them, though.

True. And I was hopeful there was another round of firmware updates that would resolve my issues.

I tried the WD19 and the TB16 with my M1 MBP 14” 16GB 10-core, and the CalDigit TB3+ (which I started with and was the most annoyed with as it is so well regarded and expensive), and none of them could do everything, at the same time. Many times it was sound card choice of the dock, not working correctly. Or if it went to sleep, displays didn’t come back. Very frustrating. Good news, this is working now and I didn’t have to wait long to try all of this out, docks were on hand (although now we have none: laptop Covid overdrive has gobbled them all up).

My set up is open laptop on the leftmost side with a VESA-arm laptop stand, two Dell U2717D, 27” monitors I scored during Thanksgiving in 2018 for a great deal (they still are perfect for what I do), webcam connection, Sennheiser headset USB connection, sound to speakers/sub, wired mouse/keyboard, USB 3.0 monitor / dock connection.

As recommended ITT, I bought the Sonnet Echo 11 Thunderbolt 4 Dock. I said I would report back.
Report: end of all issues. :tipshat:

Djimi fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 10, 2022

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data
My wonderful MBP 2021 M1 14" 10-Core 16GB/1TB left rear-most USB-C port (next to MagSafe port) went bad last week.
And the nearest one to that started to randomly disconnect from my TB4 Sonnet Echo 11 dock, (which I do like), and recommended last year when someone here asked about a good TB4 dock (that was cheaper than CalDigit).

Also, there was a tweak to the case that happened about 3 months ago, from my cat jumping up on a stool and knocking it off. It is cosmetic, but no demonstrable issue on performance, only the aesthetic of a dinged lid / bent bezel —that didn't bug me at the time, but the port(s) going bad ... well, I decided it was time to take in to Apple. Paying for AppleCare+ after all.

Well, work is paying for the warranty, being a work computer. So I looked up in my inventory db for a spare, to assign myself, which I thought was going to be a MBA M1, but it turned out that went out to someone about a month ago. :(

What remained on our shelf in our build room was a MBP 15" 2017 i7, Intel 630 GFX. So I started building that up last Friday (just after I returned from the  store).
Well I was building it up for myself because I couldn't use Migration Assistant because the '17 only had a 500GB SSD. And my home directory (really my ~/Library) was about 400GB itself, so just my profile was not selectable in MA. If the drive was 1TB, I would have my whole environment mostly.

That wasn't the issue though. I shutdown and disconnected and packed up the laptop and headed home for the weekend.

And then when I got home and pulled out the 15" Intel beast, it hit me: Why hadn't I bought a new laptop from Apple from 2015 to 2022...? Because they f@%#*ing suck!! :hai:

• Trackpad way too big, picking up grazed palming/edges of thumb. If I wanted a mini iPad, I would use that. I want to touch type thank you. I don't even need a mouse/trackpad about 90% of time.

• F Keys - nope - Doesn't matter if you have everything memorized. You're going to launch Siri if you stray up the 'Touchbar' -- ACKK! I never have to look at my keyboard, no I am looking at little cute pictures changing...
• Esc key isn't a key. No haptic feedback. Just a smooth, meaningless location - and I have to look at the drat thing.
• As for the actual keys: the "keyboard" is the worst. No comfort, no travel. And loud and clacky.

I cannot wait to get my M1 back. I can't believe how much my blood pressure rises using this stupid laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Binary Badger posted:

Yeah, there's a lot of reasons that machine was probably left behind.

Eliminating the physical ESC key was probably the worst decision, because making it one of the virtual keys on the Touch Bar had to have been one of the greatest user interface blunders in human history. A lot of times the virtual ESC never showed up, and some programs flat out refused to accept the virtual ESC press as being valid.
That's interesting about the ESC key in some programs. But I'm over it now...
I type this reply with my refurbed A2442. It's a good day. Happy Spring.

Thanks all for listening to my kvetching. It was cathartic.
I just remembered my first assigned laptop for my first computer job was the PowerBook 160.
We've come a long way, baby.
:slick: