Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

kuskus posted:

It is seriously like buying a new computer. I just bought my second Crucial M4 128GB and put it in a used 2007 MacBook. It sings on Lion. I think it was $189 on Amazon. Worth every penny.

I am thinking about doing the same thing, with the same ssd. How do you like the Crucial M4? I heard that the garbage collection on the M4 is terrible, and you cannot reliably enable trim in Lion on these ssd's.

Have you experienced any degradation in performance with this particular ssd?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Peacebone posted:

Yup, I got a free battery even though I was out of warranty!

This is a very 'your mileage may vary' thing.

I took mine in to two separate fruit stands in LA. Showed them my battery, which was literally bursting out of the case. Both times they told me I would need to pay for the replacement. This was for a core 2 duo blackbook, so I don't know if that made a difference.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Okay, this may or may not be a hardware question, but I think it is so I will put it out there. I lost the USB restore key for a 2010 Macbook Air (Core2 Duo, Runs Snow Leopard).

Now that I dont have the restore drive, how can I get this thing restored to factory default, short of buying Lion?

If I go the Lion route, would I have to re-buy iLife again?

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

kuskus posted:

Disclaimer: none of my computers came with Lion pre-installed. However, do you not not have a Lion recovery partition? If you reboot and hold alt, you may discover one and at that point it can possibly continue recovery over WiFi.

This is a 2010 Macbook Air, it came with Snow Leopard, and it doe snot have Lion installed. Hence no recovery partition : (

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
This may be a stupid question, but since the ssds in the new Retina MBP and MB Airs are non-replaceable (at least by anyone that isn't Apple), should one be concerned with using the drives like regular hard drives? I mean, will the SSD performance degrade over time?

I guess regular browsing / downloading would be ok, but I am assuming one shouldn't be doing anything crazy with writes (such as torrenting for example) ?

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

spaceship posted:

My Best Skins Ever for the Retina Pro came in today. Going to apply it tonight.

Let us know if the thing increases the running temperature for the machine, yeah?

I am interested in the same thing in mine (still waiting for Apple to ship the thing), but am concerned that the skin, while protecting the machine from scratches and scuffs, will act as an insulating layer and be detrimental in dissipating the heat the machine generates.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Digital_Jesus posted:

Trip Report since I said I'd come back and drop an update.

Using a USB3 enclosure and an SSD to run my VMs off VMware Fusion. 15" Retina w/ 16GB of RAM.

So far I'm running 3 Instances of Server 2k8 R2, one with SQL Server, a copy of Windows 7 x64, and Win XP Pro SP3 simultaneously and the machine suffers 0% slowdown. Definitely can't complain about performance on this laptop. VMs boot in under 10 seconds and I have no graphical lag switching between VMs or the base OSX install.

What is your ram usage for such a setup? I intend to do something similar, and debating between 8gb and 16gb, and if you can handle all the able on 8gb I am not going to spring for the extra ram to just sit there and do nothing.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Digital_Jesus posted:

It really depends on what you're going to be running. I'm using mine for testing central deployment services for updates and antivirus and a few other things, so right now the breakdown is 2GB for DC1 (Primary DC/DHCP Server), 2GB for DC2 (Which acts as a file server / print server), 8GB for the third server running SQL, and I only gave 1GB to each of the workstation instances.

Really I couldn't do what I'm doing on 8GB of ram and have leftover for OSX to operate functionally.

Arg now I am second guessing how much I will need.

Any one know if I can return the machine if I don't like it if I upgrade the ram? I know you used to be not able to return CTO for any reason but I do not know if that has changed...

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Digital_Jesus posted:

just get the 16GB option. It's $200.

Dammit, it says 'prepared for shipping' now. Guess I will wait and see how it goes for now.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Keyser S0ze posted:

$999
MacBook Air Ivy Bridge Core i5 Dual 1.8GHz 13"

http://dealmac.com/Mac-Book-Air-Ivy-Bridge-Core-i5-Dual-1.8-GHz-13-Laptop-for-999-pickup-at-Frys/593840.html

--------------------------------------------

I finally said gently caress it and went to Fry's today and grabbed one of these. $1077.43 after California sales tax. I am looking for 5+ years of service so hopefully it will last.

What was the goon-proof and preferred case for this guy right now? I don't want to snap it in half after 2 weeks in my backpack (I am a angry beast and hulk smash everything).

My Retina MBP just shipped but holy poo poo is that a good deal.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Scratches most definitely affect resale. Though I am a fan of no case myself.

If you are worried I'd look into an invisible shield for the scratches though.

I'm looking for a good case / skin for my upcoming Retina. Any suggestions?

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

spaceship posted:

I needed a sleeve for my retina pro so I ordered one of these colcasacs:

It rules. Highly recommended.

http://www.colcasac.com/

Is the fit pretty much perfect on this? Some dudes on Macrumors were complaining the fit was off.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Chim posted:

best fit i've found is the incase terra 15", it fits like a glove for the rmbp

You know what? thats actually perfect - thank you. I wonder if they have these in the local apple store so I can check them out (Apple sells them online for sure).

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

eames posted:

I ordered a CTO rMBP last week and figure it will be assembled within the next few days.
What worries me the most are the ghosting/image retention issues.
Someone on arstechnica mentioned that it only affected the very first batch of rMBPs and the QC issue is completely fixed now. It would be nice to hear from rMBP owners with this issue and how they solved it.

AFAIK Apple doesn’t do direct replacements for CTO items and that worries me (even though my machine has not arrived yet).

No direct replacements, meaning they will refuse to replace / refund the machine? Or that you need to treturn and re-order?

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

He must have meant that he can't walk into an apple store and get a replacement... Which is rather obvious. The depot return logic board replacement of my cto early 2011mbp took 3 days iirc, which is about as fast as is physically possible.

That makes sense, just wasn't sure since Apple didn't conventionally allow returns on CTO macs in the past (even though the CS peeps would if you bitched enough).

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Abel Wingnut posted:

I'm hoping to get rid of my USB external drive. Naturally I started looking at the Time Capsule. Would I be able to not only store my iTunes library on there, but stream my huge lossless files without any skips, considering an iPad and maybe another computer are connected at the same time? I don't really know how good Wireless N is, I guess.

I think you will need a real server / NAS for this. I looked into the time capsule for this, and it really is designed for backups only, not full fledged NAS duty, at least it was when I got mine.

Everything I looked into turning this into a NAS involved a unstable hack so I ended up returning mine. I'd recommend looking into the Synology NAS units to do what you are looking to do.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

ufarn posted:

Scrolling - period.

I just got one. Its seriously an over-blown issue. People are making it out to be like its unusable. Coming off my 2008 Blackbook, its buttery smooth (running Mountain Lion out of the box).

Only thing I can think of is some people are getting defective machines, or the 2011 were like OMG SUPER-SMOOTH SCROLLING, but I am just not seeing it.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

ChocNitty posted:

It is pretty badass. I just got my 13" air a few days ago. It does everything well. I just installed Batman Arkham Asylum, and its runnin' like a champ.

I'm going to be traveling a lot soon and I look forward to having this making my downtime pleasant.

How is gaming on the new airs? I heard mixed reviews.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm playing Walking Dead, Diablo 3, all the Valve games, and Bastion. Plays things like that fine though the fan goes nuts.

through OSX or windows? Just curious, since fan control is supposedly much better in OSX as opposed to Windows.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

ChocNitty posted:

GAMES ON NEW MACBOOK AIR ARE AWESOME

Holy crap, no idea one can expect decent gaming performance from one of these, at least without the computer shutting down and overheating.

Long shot I realize, but any idea on what I can expect on gaming performance from Dolphin or PCSX2?

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

hedgecore posted:

For those with the new Air, are you gaming under Windows 7? This laptop is awesome overall, but Left 4 Dead 2 runs like garbage even on low settings for me under OSX. It's choppy even at the start of a level where you pick a weapon, let alone when you have a bunch of zombies on screen.

Which version air did your roll with? I just picked up a 13in base model and am wondering if i should bother opening and using it. Valve games like Left 4 Dead aren't exactly demanding so if I can't play at least that at a playable level I may have to return it.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

hedgecore posted:

2012 13" with 8GB ram upgrade.

I'm going to dual boot Windows 7 eventually, and I'll report back (everywhere seems to think this is most effective) but it probably won't be before you can make a decision on that.

Meh, let me know what you find. Hopefully you let me know within a week, I would hate to be hit with restocking fees.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Did the Vizio iMac ever come out or does it only exist in 3D Studio

Wanna snap that stand in half so bad.

LOL, my local Costco is selling this as we speak.

Absolutely terrible in person, I almost feel sorry for it...

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

The only reason I am going to upgrade is USB 3.0. I really really wish the new mini came with discrete GPU. :smith:

Supposedly the video is 25-30% less powerfull if the internet is to be believed. If I can find the old one on sale I am just going to pick that one up instead.

Any one know if any place is still selling the old versions at a discount?

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

tragick posted:

Posting from my new 27" iMac. This thing is amazing. It seems their supply issues are clearing up -- mine is BTO and I ordered it exactly one week ago today.

Can't believe how well Borderlands 2 runs at 2560x1440.

How so you find the heat / noise when playing games?

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
So I am thinking about getting a nice protective case or protective skin for my new retina MBP.

I intend game on all the time so I would like to avoid excess heat. Do these things affect the heat of the laptop in any appreciable way? I'd rather not impact the longevity of the laptop negatively with such a case / skin but would definitely appreciate the protection.

I see incase, incipio, etc have such cases. Any thoughts on these vs going naked on my new toy?

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Go naked and keep it in a sleeve, like Bob Morales said.

IMO you stand a greater chance of scratching the body with the snap-on case itself (or with grit that gets stuck behind it) than with anything that the case would protect you from. As for drops, one of those shells is going to have a minimal effect at best on the amount of body damage you'd sustain.

Just don't do anything that you wouldn't do to the surface of a car, like slide your keys over it, and you'll be fine.

Excellent, many thanks to both you and Bob Morales. I read that those things could theoretically scratch up the computer if dust / dirt got between the case and the computer.

Any recommneded sleeves? I read Colcossacs are nice but they don't fit right apparently. I'd like some modern that looks good and offers good protection (ideally without zippers that can scratch the computer, unless there is protection for that).

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
So my new retina MBP battery charge capacity is 8389, whereas online i read it should be 8400-8600 for a new retina MBP. This is after two charge cycles, I bought it about a month and a half ago. I 've pretty much left is plugged in for about a month with little use (though i did do a full discharge cycle at the end of the month per the battery care recommendation page on apple's site).

Should I legitimately be concerned or this just me sperging about the battery? if this is the latter should I expect the charge capacity to go down as the charge cycles go up?

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Heisenberg1276 posted:

To be fair the burn in on the original LG retina screens was awful. No idea how they are now.

Mine is an LG and its perfectly fine. Time will tell I guess if it becomes an issue down the line. I should probably get apple car in case it does.

I will say I originally had a Samsung that I switched bcs of dead pixels. The LG is brighter and more crisp, whereas the Samsung was yellower and more washed out. It was really noticeable after I saw the LG, so I dunno.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

twoot posted:

Can anyone who has a 2013 Air comment on the battery life when gaming? Reviews seem to point to around 3hrs under heavy stress, which would be more than enough time for my use.

Between 2-3 hours playing Borderlands 2. Yes it plays borderlands 2 (barely).

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Fiki posted:

Dang, just a month outside of my return window for the rMBP I bought. But I was under a time constraint of needing a laptop for school. :(

If its the 15inch some would consider the old model superior, as the the Haswell version will reportedly do away with discrete graphics for the integrated-only Iris Pro.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Specfically though, what is the recommended usage scenario for the current gen batteries then to maximize lifespan? How often should the thing be charge-cycled? Apple recommends at least once per month but that was an older article and some people recommend weekly discharge, which seems excessive. So far the method I have been using is discharge at least 25% weekly even when I dont need to but I am not sure if I am doing it right.

I guess I am confused because the battery will lose capacity over time if it is plugged in all the time or run down to 0%. However it also loses capacity as charge cycles add up. Which is worse?

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

eames posted:

This is probably the smartest idea considering how many people have returned their rMBPs for the yellow screen tint issue. Many of them had the laptop swapped twice, some guy is on his 5th and still not satisfied.

This brings up a good question. If somebody returns a computer to Apple, lets say for yellow screen or dead pixels. Does apple switch out/fix the display before putting them up on the refurb section of their store? Bcs if not this seems like a great way to get a machine with screen defects that are still within spec by apple.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
I'm thinking of picking up an air at this price. Anyone have experience with the 11inch? Is it as cramped as it looks? Looking for something for a main everything computer (have an i5 tower for gaming).

Edit: is the bezels actually bigger on the 11 vs the 13? Looks like it...?

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Need help! I'm about to order the imac thanks to the new student promo, and am debating between the 256gb solid state drive vs the 3tb fusion drive.

My priority is longevity, performance, and repairability, in that order. That coupled with the fact that I would like to boot camp to play steam games ( can't use the SSD portion if I do this) makes the fusion drive pointless. Any advice for someone Ina similar debacle?

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

fleshweasel posted:

I really hope the retina iMacs don't have hard drives, period. Hard drives just fail sooner than pretty much any component that wasn't defective from the get-go, and it sucks to have to go inside the machine to deal with it. Just offer an awesome thunderbolt hard drive that's easy to service instead.

Also really hoping for retina thunderbolt displays. I guess those are likely to come later, though.

You know I really doubt that retina iMacs are coming out that soon. Are there even any panels available that are ips, and 4k? There are 4k panels that seem to be affordable even, but those mostly seem to be TN panels, and I doubt apple would replace the current ips panels with TN panels.

Also I think if such panels come out they will be super expensive.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Many people are speculating that Dell's recently released 5k displays are the likely candidate for new retina iMacs. They're still pretty pricey but I could see a $3k retina iMac using one of these

http://www.maximumpc.com/dells_5k_monitor_pre_reviewed_2014

Wow, I admit that looks quite sexy. Seems it will cost 2500 though; with iMacs priced currently where they are one could speculate them to cost closer to $4k. I am wondering kind of gpu could smoothly drive such a monster display, much less now a laptop gpu.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Anyone with the new retina iMac runnning bootcamp? just wondering how the new retina screen is working with windows.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

flavor posted:

To the people who said it's no good for games: GlQuake runs real nicely at 5k, but it makes the fans come on. I'll try some more games when I get a chance.

Jesus. How does it look?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
So have an of you with shiny Retina iMacs done any gaming? Supposedly a lot of macrumors dudes are complaining about the GPU throttling down / cooking itself due to heat:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1815601

I was kind of interested in one, now in having doubts. Anyone gaming on the new iMacs have any insight?