Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Sometimes my core2duo Macbook Pro doesn't acknowledge that the charger is plugged in and thus doesn't charge. The light on the magsafe plug doesn't light, and the battery icon on the menubar doesn't show a plug.

Plugging and unplugging the magsafe a few times seems to band-aid the issue, but sometimes the computer is dead in the morning anyway.

Is this more likely a problem with the power supply or the computer's charging circuitry? It's long out of warranty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Bob Morales posted:

SMC reset fixes that on my Air (hasn't happened in a while, though). But it could be your charger or logic board. Do you got a bunch of cheeto dust in the magsafe and those pins in there don't spring out?

Thanks. I reset the PRAM because, well, I have no idea what it does, but I forgot the about the SMC. Maybe it'll behave for a while.

I wish I had another adapter to try, but the other computer in the house has the incompatible silver magsafe for some annoying reason.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Okay, I won't cook my MBP in an attempt to look snazzy :negative:

The Incase See Thru cases are pretty nice. I like the satin black.

Sorry it doesn't make your your computer look like an ironic tree.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 29, 2012

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Did those flush-mount SD cards that you could use as expansion on MBA's ever go into production? Or did anyone ever produce something similar? I just ordered a new 13" MBA with 8GB and 128G SSD and I'm sure I'll be looking for extra storage soon.

http://theminidrive.com/TheMiniDrive.com/Specs.html

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

SeaborneClink posted:

That's my new plan, hence why I said one of those flush mount SDXC thingies, alternatively, see below.

Yeah, if only they hadn't A) Already missed their target ship date twice B) Would let me buy one already!

There's really not much inside an SD to microSD adapter. Someone could probably make a cheaper knock off pretty easy... like the one I pasted here yesterday.

http://theminidrive.com/TheMiniDrive.com/Specs.html

They're doing a kickerstarter-like thing trying to get manufacturing to $6, but you can buy it now for $20.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I love my Airport Express for the airtunes feature, but I tried using it as my primary wifi access point and it covered my medium-sized first floor miserably. I didn't have any brick walls to contend with either. Like, it got slow enough in the bedroom maybe 40 feet and a few walls away that my wife even noticed while browsing on her phone.

You can get a better deal going non-Apple with your router if you don't need some of the "special features" like airtunes or time machine. I've been really happy with newer Asus wireless products. I'm getting awesome performance out of the AC-N66U, but that's overkill I'm sure.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 29, 2013

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

PRADA SLUT posted:

Am I the only one that thinks an 11" air is just too small? 13 is fine, but 11" might as well be an iPad.

People said that about the 12" iBook G4 too. Those people were wrong.

I traded my 13" MBP for an 11" air as my only computer. I flew literally every other day in January, and loved being able to do actual work with almost-iPad portability.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 3, 2013

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Bedurndurn posted:

Does anyone have any experience running something like Ableton Live on an Air / MBP? I'm not sure if I need an MBP to get the job done or if I'd be fine with an Air.

Ableton ran fine on my C2D MB with 2GB and a 5400rpm HD. It'll be great on an Air. I imagine an SSD would be a huge advantage.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

echobucket posted:

I'm about to sell my 27" iMac and buy a standalone IPS monitor for my MacMini to do photo editing on. I also have a 15" MBP.

I'd love some way to keep the mini and USB keyboard hooked up most of the time, but easily be able to "dock" my MBP into the setup and switch to it occasionally without having to deal with unplugging a bunch of wires.

Anyone know how I could accomplish this?

You could perhaps do it in software with Synergy

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Logikv9 posted:

I've asked friends who own macbooks and they all yell at me and say it's more intuitive. :smith: How quickly can someone pick up the basic gist of the whole OS and see an improvement in productivity?

A lot of its in what you're used to. After only owning Macs for a few years, when I try to use a PC I nearly shove it off the table in frustration.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Can anyone recommend a well-built but cheap USB ethernet adapter? Gigabit (USB3) is a plus, but not required and I'd like it to work on USB2 --Is that possible? I'm avoiding the Thunderbolt one for maximum flexibility between machines.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

niss posted:

http://www.tombihn.com/laptop_bags/TB0300.html

Its not exactly a hard case, but it is really stiff and sturdy. It has handle straps and hooks that support a shoulder strap. Ive had it for a while and am really happy with it for my rMBP 15. I have also yet to be asked to remove it from the case when going through TSA at the airport, so that is a big plus in my book.

If only they'd make the clamshell iBook again.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Haha. I'm not sure if this is a serious answer but it made me chuckle, either way.

People do that. http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/tl7pn/iama_24yo_electrical_engineer_with_magnets/

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

flavor posted:

Which MBP that's in any way recent does just 150 Mbit? At least if the router is above door stop quality, it'll bundle at least two connections, so it's at least 300 MBit.

Even with multiple streams, 80mbit of actual real IP bandwidth is on the high end for N, once you subtract the half duplex stuff, and encryption overhead.

802.11ac is only inching toward equivalence to a wired 100mbit ethernet line in ideal conditions.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 19, 2013

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

zegadeth posted:

Bit out of the blue with this question,but are any of the newer MBP's or MBA's cooler temperature wise?

Ive a 2010 MBP and it gets so hot sometimes its a real annoyance.

How hot do the new MBA's get?

Every current product line runs cooler than your old C2Duo.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Polymerized Cum posted:

Yeah it would definitely be a 21.5" iMac. The 27" is just too big and expensive for my needs. I have a plasma with Fruit TV in the living room for movie watching stuff. The desktop basically just serves at the mothership for all my other fruit devices.

Apple has no refurbs right now, is there any student discount? I think I still have my old one somewhere.

Buying from Amazon without sales tax is often cheaper than student discount if you don't want any BTO options. Well, there's the back to school promo now, though.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
You buy one of these adapters or an appropriately terminated cable. Plug it in.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042301&p_id=2671&seq=1&format=2

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Apple laptops don't play well with very sensitive, low-impedance headphones. Etymotics (and probably others) make an inline impedance adapter for this very problem, or you can make your own by soldering some resistors in between an 1/8" connector and jack. A headphone amp like one of the tiny Shuffle-sized Fiios will also fix it.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
It's not a digital/coreaudio problem. It's the analog hardware not meshing with whatever headphones you're using. The hiss with low impedance headphones from the jack on macs is well documented, and some other non-apple outputs do the same.

I have no problem getting under a -75dB noise floor from a core audio device, but I'm typically going into a higher-Z input.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
You've got a mismatch between the amp and the laptop, then. That click in from silence to hiss is the analog portion of the sound card turning on.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Amazon is pretty popular for buying non-BTO macs in states where they don't collect sales tax. Amazon's price usually beats edu pricing too.

I suspect that skews things a little

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Bob Morales posted:

4.5GB is pretty big when you have a T1 at work and lovely DSL at home.

You could probably save money with a USB flash drive.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Shaocaholica posted:

I'm not sure if this is a 10.9 thing or if it goes back further or if its just an isolated issue.

My newly acquired MBP 3.1 (2007) sorta kinda runs hot but I'm pretty sure its not the machine. I've already fully disassembled it, cleared out all the dust in the airflow pathways and reapplied new TIM to the heatsinks. It idles cooler for sure.

Here's whats wierd. I've only ever tested this machine with 10.9 so I don't know what things were like with an older OS. When I fully load the CPU with prime95, the fans keep running super quiet. They are running but their speed/noise doesn't change when I load the CPUs. This is fine for me. I figured OS X is trying to be smart and not let the fans thrash in case its just a spike in load. Well the fans stay quiet and slow all the while the CPUs go north of 100C, then they kick in. The temp drops but it takes forever(10+ minutes) to settle and usually only around 88-90C which is still hot. Ambient temp is ~75C.

My MBP of that era always ran hot. Yours might be a little high, but here's a database of the temps other people report: http://www.intelmactemp.com/

I used SMCFanControl to run a little more aggressive fan speed.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

dzarc posted:

Will do.

On another topic, am I losing anything by buying an external hd and use it with my existing router to do backups or should I splurge on a time capsule?

It will be fine if your router explicitly supports time machine. Most don't. Some do, but have been broken after OSX updates in the past.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Flash always sucks on a Mac, and it seems to be even bigger hog in Chrome. Is there an HTML5 version of what you're streaming? I've had flash banners I didn't even notice on a page kick my fans into overdrive so I try to keep flash on click-to-play.

Also, if battery estimates are based on casual browsing, that's a lot less than the constant traffic of streaming.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Selklubber posted:

If you're paranoid about losing your stuff the Air is bad. It's so light, everytime I put it in my backpack and leave I have to double check if it's really there. :tinfoil:

You could get a really heavy keyboard case.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
How long should my battery be lasting on my 2012 MB Air sitting closed and unplugged? It's getting a lot less attention now that I've got a new iPad. It seems like it's draining 15-25% per day, which seems extreme, since Power Nap shouldn't happen unplugged.

edit: Could it be the little Sandisk Fit thumb drive I keep plugged in all the time? I've had it in for a year, but this is the first time I've been leaving the computer in standby for a long time.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 13, 2013

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
They do, but I don't remember them ever being better deals than everyday prices elsewhere online. You can check past years BF ads on places like slickdeals.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Argali posted:

Are people generally happy with their new Mac Minis? And hidden problems I should be aware of? I'm eyeing one as a replacement for my dead iMac. Seems like a more cost effective bang-for-my-buck than a new iMac.

It's long overdue for an update.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Argali posted:

Is it? The latest model is only a year old and the specs are pretty good.

EDit: Nevermind, you're right.

"Days Since Update 401 (Avg = 381)"

It's just even more likely than normal that something new will drop right after you buy.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Animal posted:

What is the consensus on the new 802.11ac Time Machine? I ordered the 2TB model, but I was pointed out that its better to buy a more powerful router that has USB 3.0 storage, and an external hard disk. Any opinions?

Most non-Apple routers don't do Time Machine backups. Even with significant hacking it won't work reliably. You'd need a very powerful router to make USB3 worthwhile. My 600mhz Broadcom router maxes the CPU writing to a usb2 disk and I manage maybe 10mB/s to the disk.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

keevo posted:

Can anyone recommend a Mini-DisplayPort to HDMI cable on Amazon? I was going to get this one but I wouldn't receive it until after Christmas and I'd like to have it sooner without paying $30 for shipping. My dad gave me one a generic 10 ft. long cable but it only worked once or twice.

Monoprice's work fine and ship domestically. They list on Amazon but it usually ends up slightly cheaper to order from their site directly.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Does anyone even make mice with balls anymore? The LED is hidden on the bottom. What's the deal? It's not actually a laser.

The MS Intellimouse is solid and mom-friendly, but has an optical sensor.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 15, 2013

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Magic Trackpad? Maybe she wouldn't pick that up.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
My wife put one on her MBP and it cuts my typing speed dramatically, but maybe it's the adjustment period.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

empty baggie posted:

Thats probably just a case of OSX's time estimates being garbage.

"One minute remaining" is always especially bullshit.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
A closed lid is a better sleep indicator because who shuts down ever?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Binary Badger posted:

I also like the fact it's still got an eject hole you can poke a paper clip into to force eject the disc, whereas you have to literally disassemble the SuperDrive if the disk gets stuck.

Back when I worked in a lab full of iMacs with slot loading drives, when a disc got stuck we'd jam a second disc halfway in so it got jammed on top of the first then yank both out.

Standard procedure.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

~Coxy posted:

Usually it's better to name your two bands different SSIDs so that you can associate to one only on certain devices.

That's kind of a pain. 2.4 has better penetration into the basement and out on the back deck. If I had two different SSIDs I'd have to manually switch as I roamed to the edges of coverage. As is, the devices that can do both bands seem to switch back and forth pretty well on their own, preferring 5ghz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Hold on. AppleCare on your Mac covers accessories besides the ones that came in the box with the computer?