Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

flyboi posted:

I'm sorry but a 15" 1080p display would be horrible unless you use magnifying glasses when you compute and like straining to read regular-sized text. Then again bigger numbers = better right? right? :awesome:

Presumably you can change the DPI settings so on-screen items appear the same size they used to be, just sharper.

Edit: By 'you' I mean if/when Apple make this an option I presume they would also update the OS. They obviously aren't allergic to small screens looking good (see iPhone 4).

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They could have at least taken a real photo. The perspectives on that are all sorts of hosed.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

As far as I know if you order the iMac without the SSD card thing then Apple don't even solder the connector onto the board.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I wouldn't be massively concerned about the SSD size as 256GB is still a lot, and networks / cloud storage is only going to get faster.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah it's a tough one, if there was a 16GB option I'd take it. Naive me thinks that them only coming with 4GB stock means that Apple are fairly confident that 8GB is more than enough for a while.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bob Morales posted:

Even with an SSD and 8GB upgrade, I wouldn't want to be stuck using a 2009 MBP (C2D, NVIDIA 9400) for 'real' work. I mean, it'd be okay but a newer machine would be a lot nicer to live with.

I'm still using a 2009 13" MBP with an SSD and 8GB RAM, and the SSD is the single upgrade which saved it for me really. Granted if by real work you meant tons of Photoshop, video etc then yeah the CPU would be a huge pain in the rear end. But I've been trying to justify replacing it for a while and can't come up with a reason that it's not doing everything I need it to at the moment. I could never go back to something without an SSD in.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you get an app to monitor fan RPM and then do some intensive stuff on it to speed the fans up, does the noise change? The only thing there is the fan:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Replacing+MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2012+Left+Fan/10763/1

If there's a loose part then simply removing the back will let you take it out. It will also let you stop the fan with your finger quickly to see if the noise goes away.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

Yeah. Whenever I play Candy Crush the RPM's go up and that's typically when I hear the loose sound? Right now the fan isn't on and when I move my computer around (like tip it in each direction and stuff) it doesn't sound like anything is loose. So I don't know? Is it possible that the fan could be coming loose while it's at a high RPM? :shrug:

Either something stuck it in or a dodgy bearing or something. Even if you don't want to swap the fan yourself, selling it knowing 100% what work needs to be done will give your buyers more confidence in the product. Take the back off and have a look.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm putting bets on something in Chrome loving up. Or Spotlight indexing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's old as gently caress and painfully slow. Mac2Sell reckons it's worth $270 though, I think that's high.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's not the same laptop but I've had a 13" MBP for 4 years now and the screen is pretty much perfect still.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How is it connected? If it's a Mini DisplayPort to something adapter then that could be keeping the signal 'alive' so to speak.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Serious question, what do people burn discs for now? 4.5GB seems like such a limited size that you could either send it over the internet or put it on a flash drive.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have the same laptop as you, and changed my battery in February. The last one was giving me warnings about it needing replacement and the runtime was down to about 1hr 30. With the new battery it's back at 6-7 hours.

The battery change is easy, just make sure you buy a genuine one.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't think you lost capacity, I think it just calibrated properly.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Spacedad posted:

If they're able to couple ethical US electronics with greater reliability and support, then they'll do loving amazing.
I'm struggling to understand this - are you saying that this greater reliability would come with the manufacturing being in the US? I'm not saying it won't, but it's already possible to make high quality devices in China if you are prepared to put the effort in (see Apple's current lineup), and the US doesn't really have a history of producing electronics on a huge scale. It's not an industry that went away and is now coming back.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

8GB / 256GB is looking like the sweet spot at the moment

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I guess I am just taking a queue back from the olden days of compression, where it was slow and cumbersome. Now it's all fast and efficient :science:

Lots of storage vendors are offering on-the-fly compression of data now, the idea being that reading x amount of data off a spinning disk and then decompressing it is quicker than reading more data off the same disk.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

etalian posted:

It's mainly because Mavericks is able to make more aggressive use of CPU power saving especially for the new Haswell CPUs.

The only thing specific to Safari is that it blocks flash by default, but there's no doubt a Chrome extension which will do this. The system keeps track of what apps eat the battery anyway so you'll be able to see if Chrome is behaving. In my experience Chrome eats RAM more than it eats CPU so I wouldn't expect the battery figures to be that different between them once power hungry plugins have been disabled.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Ordered the mid-range 13 inch non-BTO rMBP this morning, and it's apparently getting delivered tomorrow (mainland UK). :monocle:

It's certainly a step up from when I got my late 2008 unibody, which I'm pretty sure only existed as a slab of aluminium for an entire week after I had made the order.

Speaking of which: any UK goons managed to milk the Sales of Goods Act? How did it go?

My soon to be ebayed machine suffers from the following:

- Randomly disconnecting USB external hard drives
- One RAM slot is broken
- Battery capacity under 50% ("service battery")

Apple stores won't deal with you as soon as you mention the act, you need to pursue it through Apple legal. You'd struggle I think, the battery is a non-starter since it's a 5 year old machine. The other issues you'd need to prove were caused by defects that existed when the laptop was made, either due to poor quality parts of bad design.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

http://www.groths.org/software/trimenabler/

The free version works fine.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you mean the right-angle MagSafe I believe they only came in a version 1 flavour, MagSafe 2 is thinner. There's adaptors available, you might get one in the box.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Don't buy anything older than an iPad 2.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

1280x800 on a 2560x1600 display will look exactly the same as a 1280x800 display at the same size, it's just using 4 pixels instead of 1. There will be no blur because everything falls nicely on pixel boundaries.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's not normal at all. Book yourself in for an appointment. If you can reproduce it semi-reliably that's even better.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

goon_in_a_well.txt

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do you need the storage space that a hard drive gives you? I put an SSD in my 2009 MBP and it turned it into a completely different beast.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have you considered putting the HDD in your optical bay? Or do you need that?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What he said. I can't see what the new Mac Pro would be good for that an iMac wouldn't be equally good at. What are people doing that uses ATI GPU rendering on a Mac?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It just looks like a really expensive way to run Final Cut once you've bought an appropriate disk array for it. Can you get Thunderbolt 10GbE adapters?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

And about $1000. Can only find Thunderbolt FC HBAs that top out at 4gig as well.

Maybe the release day will see all these accessories suddenly become available....

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm eyeing up that Dell 24" 4K

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have you tried explaining that to the store? A week sounds weird unless it's something they are trying to squeeze in around other stuff. If you tell them you can bring it in with a days notice and are happy to wait around for an hour or so while they do it then I'm sure they will be able to help.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

awesome-express posted:

Nope, they told me battery replacements take at least a week. Got the same reply at the Covent Garden and Oxford Circus stores. I seriously don't know wtf. Don't battery replacements take like 30 minutes to complete? My Applecare runs out in November, and I'd love to get battery fixed before that happens. :(

There's tons of AASPs in London who can probably be more flexible than a store in terms of not wanting to take your laptop off you for a week.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If it's in warranty then they can do the work and bill back to Apple - it's how it worked before there were stores everywhere. I got my MacBook top case replacement done back in 2007 by an AASP, they turned it around within a day and there was no charge.

These guys are in Islington, not a recommendation as I haven't used them.

http://www.mrsystems.co.uk/repair_centre.asp

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can you change the audio output device? (hold Alt and click the speaker icon in the menu bar). You won't see a slider for digital audio normally.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Some of them are DisplayPort, newer iMacs need Thunderbolt. So you either need to use a Mac or in the case of your PC laptop I think you can get some adaptors that cost as much as a monitor.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If only there was a way of charging devices while you drove around.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

One of those Sonnet brackets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Or if you don't want to drill it then get a metal or plastic plate (anything with a smooth surface) and 3M VHB tape it to the bottom of the Mac.