Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

With student discount:

MBP: 15" with 7200 rpm HDD and Hi-res screen-between $2,100-2,500 depending on whether I get the 2.2 or 2.3 ghz quad-core i7 CPU, or 8gb of RAM from Apple (I won't, but I'm not opening Newegg atm). This doesn't count stuff like AppleCare or external crap, which would be extra.

iMac: (*in retrospect, I should've been a lot nicer to it. For whatever reason, I was sort of thinking about some of the specs from last year-ie. no quad core except on the top tier, which was obviously wrong). Looks like I can get a 27" similar to the MBP for about $1700 (or a top 21.5" for less, but the screen seems a bit small for what I want). Alternatively, I can go balls-out on the 27" and come out at a similar price to the MBP. I'd still need to tack on between $700-$1200 for an iPad/MBA though, but then that's not sooo bad if it's 2 computers instead of just 1.......

But I lose portability with CS/film editing apps- though at $100-$300 a pop, I could probably stick some essentials on the MBA if it'll have them....

Also, thanks for the note on the display. Slipped my mind as well.

I guess it comes down to work portability vs. performance at the same price point (barring the need for personal portable computing stuff) or similar performance at different price points. When you include the cost of either a monitor and cables or an extra portable computer, it really just ends up being about portability of my projects I guess (like being able to edit something on the road).

On this topic of comparisons, and I hate to bring it up and I'm sure I'll get the canned answer, but is there any indication to believe the MBP line will get a sizable revision any time soon? I know macrumors and people are guessing October based on averages, but everything I've seen indicates there isn't much to be done until Intel releases their Ivy chips, which could be mid next year.

I hate getting caught in the middle of a product revision cycle but I'm trying to figure out if it really is the middle or if it is the end. I can hold out (if I really try) until October. I can't hold out until Feb or later.

Also what's the thought on 15" hi-res MBP for class and primary home use? That seems really big for using in a classroom, is it common?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

It was at my school, though not nearly as common as the 13", which virtually wiped out the plastic macbook. The 15" is a much better computer, though- especially with the hi-res screen.

yeah, that's my dilemma. 15 inches is big, but I don't think I could use a laptop for hours upon hours of research and writing without that hi-res screen. I'm also guessing the higher-end one is recommended if I want to do any sort of light gaming on it. of course buying a MBP for gaming is sort of sickening, but I don't think I can justify/afford building a new PC any time soon, and I need a laptop.

also what's the verdict on SSD or no SSD? I have an external drive so I could get away with the small size, but is it worth it?

topheryan fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 5, 2011

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

japtor posted:

I used my first mini like that :v:, basically cause it was my only Intel Mac at the time. I had a setup at work so I could just plug a few cables in to get going, and the same thing at home.

All the indications are rumors which may or may not be true...as always. Not sure they can do much spec wise at this point so it'd be for a redesign if there is anything new this year, probably killing the optical and all that stuff. If performance is your main concern just buy now. If no new rumors pop up after the iPhone comes out there's probably nothing coming, or the rumor mongerers are just busy camping out for new iPhones.

Depending on what "light gaming" is, the HD3000 in the MBA/MBP 13" might be fine, and if you need more space you could use a big external screen at home. And SSDs are worth it, depending on how much you're spending I guess. Like the config where it's ~$200 for the 128GB drive is a decent deal, but something like $600 for 256 would be overpriced compared to an aftermarket one.

Yeah "light gaming" was sort of a lie; I want to play Skyrim and BF3 with what little free time I'll have (that's the light part about it). I don't know if any MBP graphics card could handle those. It might just be time to learn to enjoy an FPS on the 360..

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Currently have the following sitting in my Amazon cart ready to take advantage of the 20% off laptop deal...

15" MacBook Pro
Intel 320 Series 120GB SATA SSD
Western Digital 1TB Scorpio HD
8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Memory

If I pick up a HD optical bay caddy from Mac Sales or eBay or wherever, I should be good to go, yea? Anyone know of any issues with either the SSD or memory?

I really want to take advantage of this deal but what's the verdict on the hi-res display for the 15"? It seems so silly to me to buy the 15" without the higher resolution. Also, what's the matte v. anti-glare consensus? I compared them and anti-glare seemed nice. Glossy looks cheap to me, but is there any empirical data comparing the quality when viewing videos and reading a lot of documents of such? Eye strain is going to be a major concern.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004
The Apple store employees told me there's no way to do a dual-monitor setup on an old Macbook 2008. Anyone able to confirm this? Just want to make certain before I ship only one of two of my monitors across the country.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

flyboi posted:

You can if you get one of those DualHead2Go things by Matrox but they're pretty lovely.

They "make" your two monitors one huge monitor so maximizing will band across both and if you have a lovely gpu it probably can't drive the resolution anyways.

Yeah that seems expensive and unwieldy. I'm bleeding into the software thread now but how do I change my second display (external monitor's) background wallpaper? The default Lion one is bugging me.

Edit: Nevermind it finally decided to apply itself to both displays.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004
Okay more terrible MBP questions

Let's assume I pimp out an 15" with an SSD and hi-res and that stuff. Shooting myself in the foot if I want to try to resell it before the inevitable MBP revision? Does the Ebay market realize SSD and hi-res add a few hundred dollars, and do they even want those bells and whistles? I always imagine Ebay macbooks are bargain hunted by parents for their college kids

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

You'd probably be better off selling the SSD separately.

Well I'd be using the Apple SSD. Which means that would leave the MBP without a harddrive.

Or is the common trend to buy the SSD separately?

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004
Are the new Macbook Airs glossy or matte? They almost looked matte to me, compared to how glossy the MBPs I saw were. Maybe it was the lighting, I thought I read they were glossy.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

Chemmy posted:

I know there's a site that does benchmarks but I can't seem to scare it up. I read the OP but I'm probably going blind in my old age.

Here's my dilemma. I currently have a 2.2ghz Core 2 Duo pre-unibody MacBook Pro. I'd like to upgrade it but can't decide between:

• 13" MacBook Air with the 256gb SSD (1.7ghz dual core i5, 4gb ram), $1,549
  • Refurb 15" low-res glossy MacBook Pro (2.0ghz quad core i7, 4gb ram, 500gb 5400rpm HDD) $1,529
  • New 15" high-res glossy MacBook Pro (2.0ghz quad core i7, 4gb ram, 500gb 5400rpm HDD) $1,789
  • Waiting for the rumored 15" "Air" because my current computer is decent-ish

I mostly just browse the internet and wouldn't mind the Air because it's the same res as my current 15" despite being smaller. I don't play games much, but would the MacBook Pros handle Battlefield 3? If so that might sway me.

I guess in closing, how many times faster is that 13" Air than my current 2.2ghz C2D? So hard to decide. :(

The 2.0 MBPs have the inferior graphics card, right? Running BF3 on that might be tough.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

SourKraut posted:

I know everyone has kinda already touted the "Air" horn since, well, it's the new sparkling thing to want, but out of curiosity: how long would you likely keep it, and does portability come into effect at all?

If you do plan on keeping it awhile, and portability isn't a concern, I would almost say go with the refurb 15" Sandy Bridge MBP. The quad-core i7 will likely last a decent-bit longer performance wise into the future than the i5 or i7 available for the 13" Air, and while it's not the greatest, the performance of the discrete GPU (Radeon 6490M) in the entry-level 15" MBP is still quite a bit ahead of the HD3000.

Plus, you can always either swap out the existing HDD for an SSD, or even remove the optical drive and put an SSD in for a SSD+ HDD combo. Also throw in the ability to double the RAM to 8 GB (versus being fixed at 4 GB with the Air), and if you do plan on having it for any lengthy period of time, personally that's what I'd go with.

If however it's mostly just for a year or two, yeah, go with the Air.

Yeah I can't imagine using the Air as a desktop replacement either, so if that's a consideration, I'd go with the MBP.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004
Question: Can the new MBPs/Airs "upscale" their resolutions to the default of a monitor it is connected to and mirroring? My Macbook 2008 can't and this resolution is killing my eyes. I know the monitor is extended it can be any resolution, but for some reason having the resolution with the dock and everything so small is killing me.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

movax posted:

Sup semiconductor :buddy:

I have the high-res 15" matte, I think it's criminal to get the 15" at its stock resolution. If you have a fruit stand nearby, ask them to show you the high-res side-by-side with the regular screen so you can make the best decision.

Yeah the stock resolution was unbearable for me. As for glossy or matte, I still can't decide. It's literally holding up my entire purchase, more or less.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004
How hard is it to replace a MBP optical with an SSD? Does it void the warranty? Is there a downside compared to using the Apple packaged SSD?

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

I am in no way picking on you, but I think we need this in the OP. It gets asked every page.

I'm on my iPhone so I can't check 100 pages or whatever, sorry. Does someone mind answering?

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004
Maybe this is a redundant question too, but isn't upgrading the MBP to an SSD actually a good deal, compared to some of the other upgrades? It seems like getting an aftermarket SSD of the same size is $250 and Apple charges $100. Is there something about this I'm misunderstanding before I pull the trigger on an order tomorrow?

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

You'll still save some cash if you buy the MBP from Amazon (no tax) and get the SSD from elsewhere. You can get the Crucial M4 128gig SSD for $230. As a bonus you get that extra hard disk that you can throw in an enclosure. When I think about it though I'd probably just get it from Apple, it's nice having Applecare covering everything.

I'd get the Apple education discount and I want some other upgrades like the hi-res anti-glare so I think I need to get it from Apple, unless I'm mistaken and can get a model with the specifications I want on Amazon. Is the Crucial M4 better than what Apple would give me? Because for less than $230 I could get the a normal laptop harddrive on Newegg and an enclosure. And can you not buy Applecare if you buy through Amazon?

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

japtor posted:

I'd probably go iMac and Air for the flexibility (like leaving the iMac on as a server) and portability of the Air...but there's arguments for either route really. If you do a lot of computing on the road and need the extra power/features, or simply need everything with you, then go with the MBP I guess.

It varies depending on the cost of the upgrade. I'm guessing you're looking into a 128GB one, so yeah it's definitely a good deal at $100. Meanwhile on the Mac mini and iMac I think the only option is a 256GB one at $600 or so.

M4 is better and worse. It'd likely be faster at most stuff, but supposedly it kind of sucks without TRIM. You can buy AppleCare from wherever (assuming it's legit :v:), but he's saying that it won't cover a third party SSD.

For upgraded systems, look into B&H. I don't know if they have the MBP config you want, but when I was shopping for Mac minis a few days ago I noticed that they had the dual i7 and various drive configurations which are all BTO options.

Yeah, no luck with B&H, thanks though. And hopefully a final pedantic question: does anyone know if going anti-glare lowers resell value/interest significantly? I'd probably resell this at some point, and while I want anti-glare, I don't want it so much as to be stuck with a machine I couldn't easily resell just because it isn't all Apple pretty as glossy sort of is.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004
As much as I like the glossy vibrancy seeing myself in the reflection gives me a migraine. The new MBAs don't reflect so much, nor does my 2007 Macbook. Am I just catching them at an area of odd lighting in the Apple store or are the 2011 MBPs really just -that- glossy when compared to basically everything else?

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004
Okay, I guess I'm not out of questions.

I've tried to google this extensively and it sounds like it isn't doable, but can Windows be boot camped onto an external drive? Most results on this question seem dated, and some claim reFit would detect and boot a Windows install on an external drive. I just don't want to take up 30GB of a 128SSD with Windows.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004
So if I get the SSD with the MBP are there any potential issues to look out for when buying an old school hard drive to put in the optibay? Windows will boot from it? It doesnt look like a huge ripoff to get the drive and optibay package from mce. Although MCE doesn't give a brand for the drives they're selling.

topheryan fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004
I thought Superdrive removal didn't void the warranty? Is Apple not good about that?