Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Binary Badger posted:

Most non-Apple replacement batteries are poo poo, same for chargers.
In other words, there's no difference between Apple and non-Apple chargers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
If I want to replace the disc drive of my late-2006 MacBook with a hard drive, can I just use a cheap caddy from eBay? The original OptiBay seems insanely overpriced.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Going to be honest, I'm starting to hate how loving lovely this magsafe power cord is. Is this really going to set me back 80 dollars? I think it hasn't even been five months since I last replaced this horrible thing.
Yes, the drat MagSafe is pretty much a disposable item, I'm on my sixth one by now, I think. Five months sounds about right. Just get the cheapest one you can find on eBay, it should be like 30 dollars. No point spending money on getting it from Apple, they all break the same anyway.

Aardark fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 28, 2011

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
I suppose those of you who haven't had problems are much more careful with it, don't move your computer around a lot, or are simply lucky, but the MagSafe being a crappy product is not exactly a minority opinion. Check out some reviews: http://store.apple.com/us/reviews/MC461LL/A

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

flyboi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x5szE3XHb8

Not that hard to not break them. I've never had an issue and I travel frequently.
I don't really have to coil it often, I mostly just move the computer around within my room. The same as above, it's the part closest to the MacBook that usually breaks.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
I don't think the concept is lovely; as long as it works, it's great. The screen of my previous laptop was smashed by a friend tripping on the cable, so I do appreciate it. They just really need to do something about the cord fraying so easily.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Good catch. I really hope that's fake. I badly need a new laptop to replace my 2006 MacBook, but hell if I'm going to spend over a thousand on something that underwhelming.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Fuuuuck yeah, thank you for not disappointing me, Apple. There's a laptop that will last me another five years.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Splash Attack posted:

Hey, so I want to get a MBP for college. I'm a multimedia student and I pretty much need to work with Final Cut Pro, Photoshop, and all that jazz, and I'm expecting to graduate in about a year to a year and a half, and I'd been holding off on getting a Macbook to see what comes out this year. Of course, now my dilemma is if I go with the RMBP or just go with the updated MCP. Any suggestions?
Why is that a dilemma? Get the RMBP.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Here's a review of Retina MBP: http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/13/apple-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-review/

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

ufarn posted:

Besides, the rMBP has some choppy performance in a lot of instances, so a 1st-generation rMBA might not be worth it regardless.
What instances are those? All I've heard is Facebook scrolling, what else makes it not worth buying?

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
My experience after switching from a 2006 MacBook on its last legs to a 15" Retina MBP: :getin: :asoiaf: :rice: :pcgaming:

The screen totally is as gorgeous as you'd expect, and it feels great to be able to just click a button and make anything happen with no delay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Stick100 posted:

I'd love to play Black Mesa, but without a lot of rearranging I can't find the 12GB of space on my Windows partition it requires. I could fit it on the Mac partition but I haven't tried reaching across the partitions yet.
Actually I was also wondering, is this doable? Installing a game in Windows on the OS X partition through Parallels? (edit: to answer my own question, apparently it works)

I also have a RMBP, and the hard drive does feel a bit smaller than I'd like; 512 GB would be great, but not really worth the big increase in price. I made my Windows partition 55 GB, but even that's only enough for Windows 7 64 bit, all my software, and one large or two medium-sized games.

Aardark fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 24, 2012