Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Speaking of the ram, I'm running 8gb on my iMac, but in the last day or so it's been on it's swapped out like 3gbs of stuff.

I'm thinking of spending the $110 to go to 16gb, and then selling the 2x2gb sets for $20-25 on SA-Mart. Should only be ~$80 upgrade at worst...

Edit: I so need to SSD this thing as well (it's a Sandy Bridge iMac), my wife's 2010 C2D MacBook Pro with a vertex 2 opens things way faster than my computer...I upgraded her to lion and she was like WOAH SAFARI OPENS SO FAST!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Swapping isn't necessarily a bad thing. Swapping doesn't immediately equal "buy more RAM!" especially with how Lion now handles applications without associated processes and processes without associated applications. Are you actually running out of free memory or is it just swapping idle stuff?

Yeah I know, Safari being the little greedy thing it is. It still sits at a few hundred mb free, which means if I launch anything...stuff has to swap out (or reallocate?)

Edit: Actually strike that it would probably just use the inactive...

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Mine is using a WD Scorpio Black, so no free replacement here...

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
The G. Skill 2x4gb Laptop DDR3 1333 ram is available again.
$39.99 + 4gb flash drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231342

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

shodanjr_gr posted:

I assume that this memory:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139481

will work fine with a 2011 MBP?

It will, just won't run as fast as it could (the sandy bridge chips can run at 1066 or 1333) -- In actual usage this isn't going to matter.

Also, I posted this last page, but it's faster and chapter:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231342

Also, I saw the page said I was supposed to get the flash drive, but it wasn't added to my order. In talking to the live chat person, she said I can contact them when the flash drives come back in stock, and I'll get them.

MrEnigma fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 4, 2011

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
So my kindle with special offers just gave me a 20% off laptops code at amazon, was planning on selling it but the terms of it forbid it, so does this mean I should buy a low end macbook air?

Unfortunately they are all the previous models:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=amb_lin...&rnid=562215011

Low end Macbook Air for 834 - 20% - 3% back on Amazon visa, we're down in the low $600's...

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

SourKraut posted:

Can you try it on one of the newer systems? I read that some were able to with success.

I'm holding off on entering the code for now, but I may try it out later.

Edit: I guess technically I guy buy the laptop and then sell that to someone, wouldn't violate this.

MrEnigma fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 6, 2011

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
I really hope things starting coming out for thunderbolt, at least as common as firewire. External video card enclosures seem promising, although i would just like an external hdd box. Still not crazy about cracking open the iMac, suppose that might change in 3-5 months when I'm wanting more speed...

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

It's a bit daunting at first, but the drive swap was actually pretty easy if you have the right tools, a nice clean workspace, and the iFixIt guide printed out ahead of time.

I am wanting to add a second drive, which I think means pulling the mobo out if I remember correctly? Then there are all kinds of random cables people are using, and doesn't seem to be a unified guide last time I checked (although that was right after the TB iMac's came out)

Also not all that thrilled about having a somewhat high failing type of drive in, or having the firmware updated after it's installed.

But I'll still probably end up doing it...

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
If anyone is looking for 2 x 2gb sticks of ram, I have two sets for sale, one from a 2011 iMac, and the other from a 2010 MacBook Pro. Either set will work in an iMac to take it up to 8gb.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3430530

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

If anyone wants an SSD, today's Newegg shellshocker (96GB Kingston V+100) is a great deal for Macs. Why? Because it's basically the same drive that Apple used in its SSDs last year due to its excellent TRIM-independent garbage collection.

Is it worth it to go sata III/6gbs? I think I might take the dive and get this drive, and rip apart the iMac.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
SSD Bought, slimline 13 to 22 pin sata cable bought.

Now to find some suction cups. Any other tool I might need to rip this thing apart?

(Thanks for all the advice/help in here so far)

Edit: I somehow lost my torn screwdriver as well...weak

MrEnigma fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 13, 2011

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
So ripped apart the iMac to put the Kingston SSD in it. Came apart really easy, threw it under the ODD.

Screen even went back on right.

Although there is a hitch. CPU and ODD fans are running at full tilt....but not sure why. HDD which is the one I was worried about, is idling...

Edit: Already tried resetting the SMC, but maybe I'm doing it wrong?

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

flyboi posted:

Did you check your sensors to make sure they're reporting properly?

Edit: your post made me double-check my sensors in istatsmenu and the 0C HDD sensor is gone now. Must've been a bug in the software :toot:

I guess I didn't know where to check them. Will check istatmenu now...

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

MrEnigma posted:

I guess I didn't know where to check them. Will check istatmenu now...

Edit: hmm, everything appears to be reporting a temp. Would it just show N/A if it couldn't?

Edit2: Weird ones are CPU A, and Power Supply 2, but no Power Supply 1

MrEnigma fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 21, 2011

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

flyboi posted:

On my MBP at least when the discreet gpu is disabled the ambient sensor reads -256C. I would imagine if you had sensor issues it would do something similar. If you go into sys information and click Diagnostics does it say Passed?

It does say passed there. So maybe it is SMC? When I first plugged it in it fired right up, which they say can cause the SMC stuff...

Edit: Here is the iStat Sensors:

MrEnigma fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 21, 2011

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

flyboi posted:

Perhaps, but the SMC should've reset when you were doing the upgrade since it was unplugged for so long. You could try resetting it by unplugging the machine and holding the power button for 10 seconds.

Edit: also http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1433

Yeah I saw that already, and tried it. Just tried it again (turned it off, unplugged everything, let it sit, then plugged the power cord in and let it sit that way for awhile before turning it on).

Nothing. Kind of annoyed, the physical part of adding the SSD was way easier than I thought it would be, but now this part is the frustrating part.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

flyboi posted:

Were you using Celsius or Fahrenheit to display your temperatures? Because if that's Celsius something's wrong with your sensors.

Fahrenheit.

Interestingly enough, this time when I booted up, HDD sensors show '-'. Didn't even appear in the previous screenshot.

Edit: I used the cable that wasn't supposed to have any issues either, not sure what happened. Also weird that everything but the HDD fan is spun up.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

flyboi posted:

I talked with my friend who repairs Apples for a living. He said to check all your sensors and make sure they're actually plugged in properly and seated. More than likely the ODD sensor isn't plugged in or seated properly which is causing the problem. He said that even though it's one sensor it can cause all the fans to go out of control.

Also comparing to my menu it looks like you might want to check your LCD cables as I don't see a proximity sensor listed on yours.

Yeah I pulled it apart again, checked all the cables, nothing seemed to be out of order, but I reseated most of the sensors.

Put it back together, turned it on, monitor didn't come on, and when I waited fans still cranked it.

So I cracked it open again. Bent a couple of microscopic pins on the video cable, but somehow got it attached again, turned it on, and fans aren't running. I also now see the proximity sensors on the lcd, so maybe that was it, very odd.

Anyways, I'm now scared to death of touching that monitor cable (can the entire thing be replaced, or does the lcd have to be replaced then?), but everything is working, so woo hoo.

Thanks a bunch for your help, it's why I love these forums.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

flyboi posted:

Are you talking about the cable with the swing arm? I *think* you can swap that out but I accidentally deleted the official manual my friend let me get. If it's working I say just never open it again personally HEH

Yeah that's the one. I just want to make sure if the SSD dies or something, or if it gets bumped or something i have other options than spending $800 on a new lcd panel...

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
All the Images for the Kingston SSDNOW V+100 are all completely the wrong view...

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Good thing I went to 16gbs. Not sure what all is using it, but, it's being used.

Edit: And to think a few months ago I was using a Core Duo iMac w/ 2gb of ram and a slow 250gb drive. Now quad i5, SSD, and 16gb ram...mmm

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

~Coxy posted:

Apparently if you order your iMac from Apple without SSD, then you have neither the mounts nor the cables to add one at a later date.

You can order in those items for an overpriced sum of money of course, or assuming you want to add in an SSD then you can use double sided tape and any old short SATA cable.

http://blog.chargedpc.com/2011/05/2011-imac-ssd-install-guide.html

I used this cable, as recommended by someone else in the thread.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056OB8GK

Only need the one cable, it's like $14 bucks. As far as putting the SSD in, a bit of tape to keep it in place. The optical drive is sitting over it, it's not really going anywhere.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
I have a question about Thunderbolt display compatibility.

Right now I have a 2011 (thunderbolt) iMac, and I'll soon have a 2011 (thunderbolt) Macbook Pro. I want to purchase a thunderbolt display as well.

I know I can hook the thunderbolt display to my iMac. And I know it can work with the macbook pro. I also know the iMac can be a target display for the Macbook Pro. However can I do both? As in can I hook the iMac to the thunderbolt display, and that to the macbook pro, and use both as a monitor? Then if I would disconnect the Macbook Pro, could I then go back to using it as a secondary display on the iMac (without changing cables)?

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
My new employer just picked me up this: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC723LL/A

Which is pretty awesome (although would have rather had 500gb and 7200rpm instead of 750gb and 5400).

I think I may throw 8gb in it, and an SSD, think they'll care? :)

Edit: Didn't get high res either, but in the refurb store, it's like 400-500 more to get a model with it.
Edit2: Apparently only about $130 now, was only on the ~$2200 one yesterday...

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
I am looking to get another smaller (96gb+) ssd. Really like the Kingston SSDNow V+100 I got (for about $90 AR), but nothing seems to be popping up.

Almost tempted to do a Vertex 2, (120gb for $119 AR), but the horror stories are stopping me...

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

BlackMK4 posted:

Newegg has a shellshocker right now.
http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=ShellShocker-_-20-233-191-_-10202011_2
ForceGT 120gb for $155AR.

Ps. Thank god newegg has a shellshocker on 8gb of 1066 in about an hour here.

Well I bought the Force GT, let's hope it works well.

I also got some 1333 mushkin ram 2x4gb, $34.99 after rebate, cheaper than the shell shocker...

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

japtor posted:

Isn't the Force GT another SandForce drive waiting to blow up? :tinfoil:

(there should be a recent firmware update for it though)

Yeah this is true, but probably still better than ocz.

As far as firmware, I'd have to boot camp windows 7, and not even sure that will work. Let's hope it comes with new firmware.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Got a thunderbolt cable, hooked up MBP to iMac, works great.

Only issue, is logitech keyboard won't do Command - F2 to switch iMac to target display mode. Regular Apple keyboard will.

Can I write an applescript or something that will send that key press? I guess even if I do that, how do I undo it then (unless I make a macro -> applescript thing and bind it to a key?)

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

I guess this just came out, since it just showed up on my Air but can't find a news story about it anywhere.

It came out 2-3 days ago I think, I saw a small blurb about it. I think it only fixes 2010 MBP issues, got it on my 2011 MBP though...so who knows.

Also, Installed the Corsair Force GT 3 today, w/ a 'fake' optibay and 8gb of 1333 ram.

Flip out the stock hard drive for the ssd, pull out the optical drive, put the bay and new drive in. Then I go rummaging through the macbook pro box to find my lion disc, and then realize I don't have it. So I start the download again on another computer...then I realize I can just boot into recovery (since it's on the original hard drive which is still in the optibay). Recover from internet, boot up, and then restore settings from the other hard drive automatically.

Boot it up and the web pages I left it on when I shut it down greeted me. Incredible. I had no idea it would just work that well.

The one question I have, and slightly software related. But when you use super duper, can I just clone my entire drive onto a bootable portion of the other drive, yet still keep another portion available for whatever?

Edit: I just portioned the second drive, made a partition for backup the same size as my main drive.

MrEnigma fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 27, 2011

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
From hitting restart, to having the computer back up and running....about 20 seconds. It's incredible.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Going to be honest, I'm starting to hate how loving lovely this magsafe power cord is. Is this really going to set me back 80 dollars? I think it hasn't even been five months since I last replaced this horrible thing.

My wife's is all split open now. Still works, but need to tape it up. Was used though, and looks like it had some heavy abuse. I've never had issues with mine...

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

kuskus posted:

It is seriously like buying a new computer. I just bought my second Crucial M4 128GB and put it in a used 2007 MacBook. It sings on Lion. I think it was $189 on Amazon. Worth every penny.

Yeah, and even the cheap 60-96gb ones are well worth it. Another $20 for an optibay clone, and you've done the best $100 upgrade ever.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
So my new (refurbished) MacBook Pro has been messing up with the headphone jack. My iPhone headphones were working good, but then moving them around I got shocked from them. Hooked up some other speakers and all kinds of feedback and noise unless the cable was positioned exactly right.

I'm under applecare, and I know I need to take it in. So I have a couple of questions. I put an SSD/RAM/optibay in it, do I need to pull that stuff out? Also, will they do a swap out, or try to repair it?

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Binary Badger posted:

Some Fruit Stands are cool with mods you make, others will try to blame your problem on the stuff you put in. If I were you, I'd swap everything that was originally there before your mods back in so the Fruit Stand guys don't have any cause to blame anything but their own parts.

What model of MacBook Pro is it? Could you go read the OP and get back to us? We have no loving clue at this point because you didn't tell us. But it's kind of a moot point, audio connections are usually not in a separate module, they're usually part of the logic board so they'd likely just swap the logic board.

It's a early 2011 thunderbolt. This one: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC723LL/A

I have a certified apple repair place here (no apple stores around here), I'd assume I'd lose it for a few days? Otherwise I will be by an apple store next week, but again, the repairs I've done before are usually 2-3 day affairs.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

It shouldn't take an active converter, since TB is just an enhancement of the DP spec. I'll be curious to see what happens when we have some TB sources other than Macs, because I have a feeling this is Apple not wanting you to plug in non-Apple sources to their poo poo.

I use it with target display mode, and it lets you use the iMac's speakers (no camera sharing yet), so more than just the display is going on.

My guess is any input has to handshake with the thunderbolt bridge now, which means you need a thunderbolt chip on the other end, which I believe means an active converter.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

The DisplayPort spec includes audio. You don't need ThunderBolt for that. I already use my 2010 iMac as a monitor and audio system for my gaming PC.

I didn't know that, then it may be an arbitrary (but very real restriction).

In other news, I've decided my home theater needs mac mini. The refurbs are on the store right now.

This one for $519 w/ 2gb of ram dual core:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC815LL/A

or this one for $699 w/ 4gb of ram quad core (plus video card):
http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC816LL/A

Will I be disappointed by the dual core and spend the $180 for the quad?

Edit: Although amazon has the second one for $763, with no tax, and 3% back from Amazon CC it's about the same price ($3 difference).

Edit2: I guess they are all dual core except for the server versions. So $180 more for a dedicated video card...meh

MrEnigma fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 12, 2012

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

FCKGW posted:

Looks like it's just an announcement of a demo at Macworld

BOOURNS!

The demo looks pretty sweet, drives can be linked together via thunderbolt, aggregate performance and one logic disk drive....I assume it's running some sort of software raid. Although at $50 a pop, those cables are going to set you back almost what the drives will :p

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/26/macworld-2012-wdc-shows-off-mybook-thunderbolt-duo/

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
I have thunderbolt display on order. I also have a MacBook pro and an iMac.

I'm hoping I can use the MBP with the TB display AND the iMac. And when the MBP is off use it as a second display for the iMac without changing cables.

We shall see...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

japtor posted:

TB Display <> iMac <> MBP?

I don't think the iMac will pass through like that, so I'm thinking.

MBP <> TBD <> iMac

And then part of the time it will be:

TBD <> iMac

I'm hoping #1 works, and that when I switch to #2 it's seamless.