Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Sulk posted:

Edit: I'm also kind of missing the Air I had months ago just for weight, form factor, and lack of heat output compared to this MBP I've been using through work, but at the same time I kind of want a Mac Pro whenever they refresh that line, if I could swing one. I've been learning some Xcode/Objective-C programming which I'd like to stick with, so having power is nice, though I also wouldn't be doing any 3D work, so it'd be more processor than graphics reliant. Stupid expensive Apple products: :arghfist::smith:

So would the 13" MBA be a poor choice if I was primarily going to be using the machine primarily for X-Code?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Just got my first mac, a 13" MBA. I'm loving it, the only thing I can't find is a sleeve that I like.

I went to the local apple store but they didn't have a great selection so I'm looking to buy one off the internet. Anyone have a personal favorite they could point me towards? I just want the lightest weight, sleekest sleeve possible, all I'll have in it besides the MBA will be the power chord, some earbuds and the usb cable for my iPhone.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I'm surprised to hear the magsafes are considered so lovely, its one of my favorite things about the MBA (that and sweet, sweet SSD). I'm in the camp of people that rarely take their laptop out of the house though, so I'm sure that works in my favor.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

awesome-express posted:

I've got a little dilemma.

I'm thinking of upgrading from my 15" 3.1 Rosetta Macbook Pro. Problem is, I can't decide between the 13" Air and the 13" Macbook Pro (can't afford a 15" yet).

They cost the same, the Air is lighter and has a better screen (same resolution as my old Macbook Pro), yet isn't really upgradeable when it comes to ram. The MBP is uh, heavier, has the same internals, a crappier screen and a superdrive that will probably poo poo itself after 2 months of use.

Also, there's rumors that a new MB Air is coming out. I need a laptop for web design, and I really can't decide. Please help dudes.

I love my 13" MBA and haven't had any issues with the amount of RAM, usually keeping XCode, iPhoneSimulator and a few browser windows going at once. The SSD makes a huge difference.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
13" MBA is just under $1200 on MacMall (that's where I got mine) after applying this here code: APPINSDRMWB29068

http://www.appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide/

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Mewcenary posted:

Anyone with a 13" Air of the current iteration with pros / cons to share?
I've had mine for about two months now and nothing bad to say about it at all. (and I've never been a fan of laptops at all and this is the only one I've ever had where I didn't feel compelled to attach a keyboard and a mouse) Its my first foray into Macs and I use it mostly for Xcode and posting hilarious internet comedy. The display is very nice, the SSD is fast fast fast, its completely silent. Gets my highest recommendation.

I guess the only downsides would be no optical drive and relatively small amount of disk space but neither has been an issue for me as of yet.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

illcendiary posted:

How big of a deal is it that my new MacBook Air has one of the slower Toshiba SSDs? Benchmarks I've seen make it seem like there's a massive difference. Not cool :mad:

A slow SSD is like a slow world-class sprinter from my anecdotal experience.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

awesome-express posted:

Just got my 13" Air. Photoshop CS5 loads in 1.5 seconds. :pcgaming:

Doing design work on this thing is a dream. A DREAM I TELL YOU EVERYONE BUY A MACBOOK AIR LIKE NOW NOW NOW.

Welcome to paradise.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

dexter6 posted:

Any case recommendations for the 11" MBA?
Good luck, they just gave me pictures of manilla envelopes. Goons. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

japtor posted:

Any clue if that's a normal thing with upgraded dual drive ones?

Maybe they were being serious :colbert:
The quote that I remember was "Use an actual manila envelope" with pictures of the same, and you're linking to pictures of leather sleeves, so I don't think so.

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Nov 21, 2011