Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
I'm going to have to get rid of my old Logitech solar keyboards and get these new made for mac ones:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Logitech are on a roll:

quote:

A large, built-in touchpad with multi-touch navigation lets you point and scroll your way around the Web.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

I've just got a new 2nd hand widescreen CRT TV with an RGBHV input.

I'm curious to know whether I'd be able to connect an iPhone 4 to the TV using these two devices:

http://store.apple.com/au/product/MC552ZM/B

http://www.digitalconnection.com/products/cables/scvm5r.asp

KingEup fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Aug 26, 2011

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

japtor posted:

In theory that should work. Keep in mind you'd be limited to videos and stuff that works with external displays, i.e. no mirroring like on the iPad 2. What resolutions can the CRT display, 480p and 1080i or just an older 480i one? I have the VGA and HDMI adapters, but I've never tried it on anything other than 720/768p and 1080/1200p displays.

I have no idea what the actual resolution of the tube is but apparently it accepts:

Total scanning line___Effective scanning line___fV(Hz)

1125i_____________1080i________________50/60

720p______________720p________________50/60

625p ______________576p________________50

625i_______________576i_________________50

525p______________480p_________________60

525i_______________480i_________________60

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

I'm in the process of getting rid of as many wires/cables as I can from my iMac.

The only peripheral that remains tethered to my iMac now is a FW800 HDD dock. I was hoping to get rid of this cable and replace the dock with something like the Time Capsule (but it's a loving rip off) and I don't think has a user replaceable drive.

Is anyone making a mac compatible wireless HDD docking station?

KingEup fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Sep 15, 2011

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

blah_blah posted:

It's a shame that there are no reasonably priced 3TB FW800 externals

I use the FW800 version of this:

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

The My Passport Studio boasts an all aluminium enclosure and two FireWire 800 ports. Use the second FireWire port to daisy chain an additional drive.

I'll take 10. But seriously, how many can I daisy chain before bus power is insufficient?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

mediaphage posted:

If you do find that the glare is a problem for you, both HP and Dell make 27-inch displays with the same panels, and I believe both are finished with a matte surface.

I don't actually understand this. I have a glossy and matte screen side by side. At certain times of day the reflection on the matte display renders it completely unusable - you cannot see anything on the screen at all. The glossy display, whilst it has some reflections, at least remains readable. I posted a photo in the last thread as evidence.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

coldplay chiptunes posted:

The whole glossy/matte debate really doesn't deserve to get posted about as much as it does. There's nothing anyone on the internet can tell you to sway you one way or the other. It's simply a personal preference thing and you'll just have to try it out yourself and see if you're okay with it. Most people transition to the glossy display just fine, while others seem to really freak out at the slightest reflection. Either it will bug you or it won't. Try it yourself and find out.

I totally agree, but as someone with a glossy and matte screen, the claim that glossy screens are bad because in some lighting circumstances the screen is hard to read totally ignores the fact that, in some lighting circumstances, a matte screen is harder to read.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

blah_blah posted:

Unsurprisingly, cheap matte TN displays don't perform as well (as your picture shows).

This is an IPS panel. Try again.

LG uses IPS LCDs in a lot of their products: http://www.lg.com/in/tv-audio-video/images/3D_Catalogue_S.pdf

KingEup fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Oct 3, 2011

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The first of probably 6 glossy/matte debates in the month of October. I can't wait.

It was never my intention to descend into a glossy vs matte debate. I only wished to highlight that both are unreadable in different lighting conditions.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

fleshweasel posted:

even with AA cranked?

Even with.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

So I've a got a PC and Mac and am about to buy the new iPad.

I would like to be able to control all devices from one keyboard and mouse.

I've sorted the PC to Mac thing with this inexpensive cable: http://www.j5create.com/juc400.htm

What's the best way to get a cursor on the iPad?

KingEup fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Mar 9, 2012

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

kuskus posted:

The other computers' cursors? VNC Viewer.

I want to control the iPad with a cursor from the computer, not control the computer from the iPad. May still be useful though (with resolution of new iPad), thanks.

Juriko posted:

Jokes aside it is impossible, the iPad has no mouse support.

Suddenly not so impossible: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MU9lGH3qQc

KingEup fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 9, 2012

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Not to derail here, but I could never get the keyboard to work right on my PC. The keyboard/mouse are connected to the Mac, and the when I type on the PC, most of the buttons like the alt and ctrl keys don't work. The documentation and support for synergy is totally lacking and I eventually just gave up.

I plain couldn't get it to work.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Lexicon posted:

Does anyone here have a home NAS that works seamlessly with OS X for media, etc?

I'm itching to get a MBPTNG, but I can't justify upgrading the SSD. I've always liked having massive hard drives so I can carry all my media around with me, but perhaps the time has come to push that off the laptop and onto a NAS.

I use the WDTV live hub. Worksflawlessly.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Digital Jesus posted:

A very short extra cable.

Yeah I don't see why they can't just make a longer dongle.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

flavor posted:

The Migration Assistant has just adjusted the estimate from "3 Minutes remaining" to "24 Minutes remaining", so while there's time: What image hosting site should I post it on? It'd be too big to just put up on SA itself. Sorry for the silly question, I just never had to worry about that here before.

imgur.com

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Are things actually readable?

There are pictures here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1387363

Someone is even running it at

3840x2400

tuna posted:

What slows it down are the HiDPI scaling modes, especially the 1920x1200 option.

That certainly appears to be the case. I just checked one out in store and the UI was choppy as hell. Scrolling webpages was abysmal. I would not buy what I saw but if things run smoothly at 2880x1800 I will (the panel itself is sensational).

Why don't they include a 1440x900 non HiDPI mode?

KingEup fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 16, 2012

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

quote:

free menu bar program to set any non-scaled resolution your retina Macbook Pro supports, including the famed 1:1, 2880x1800 resolution.

http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/v7flz/set_your_retina_macbook_pros_resolution_to_its/

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Can someone with a RMBP test this resolution chaning app?

http://wineskin.doh123.com/tiki-view_blog_post.php?postId=51

Will it do 1440x900 without HiDPI?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Bryne posted:

Do Thunderbolt hubs even exist yet?

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/11/belkin-thunderbolt-express-dock-hands-on-video/

KingEup fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jun 22, 2012

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

What's the status of external GPUs via Thunderbolt? I am one of many who would like to use an MBA as a portable machine, then crank out some Skyrims or Battlefields, etc. at home.

I would love to know the answer to this. Sony had a crack but everyone seemed to have just ignored it (presumably because it was a low end GPU):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0u39Fs1GI0

I'd be prepared to throw down a grand on an a high end TB GPU for RMBP.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

shrughes posted:

Sony's port was how Intel Light Peak was going to turn out until Intel changed its tune and went with copper instead of optical (since it turned out copper could support the bandwidth) and went with the mini-DisplayPort profile.

You got a source for this? Would like to read.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

wheez the roux posted:

So I finally made the plunge and ordered a 2.3 rMBP with 16gb RAM to replace my 2007 2.2 C2D MBP. I was pretty excited since I'd read all kinds of positive reviews, but then I got to this part in Anandtech's review. loving seriously? The latest greatest computer from Apple can't scroll down webpages without pegging the CPU and sputtering? How in the hell is it getting such a positive review when it can't even do something my phone, cheap netbook, and even the Retina iPad can do just fine? Is the rMBP even worth it if the hardware isn't where it needs to be to drive the display? It sounds incredibly halfassed and is making me seriously reconsider my purchase.

Makes the 16GB of ram a tad redundant.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

ZShakespeare posted:

If you had the retina MBP and you are OUTRAGED by the scrolling performance, is there not a way to say "i'm not an idiot, let me configure the resolution myself" and run the entire device in 1440x900 hidpi to get those sweet, sweet fips back?

I thought is was running in 1440x900 hidpi.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

So I marched into the Apple store today and used SetRes.app to change the resolution on the RMBP to 1440x900.

Defintely fixes the FPS issue but looks godawful.

I hope ML is Apple's version of Project Butter.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

I'm probably going to buy a new base level mac mini to replace my early 2008 iMac (which died). I want to add an SSD myself. Can anyone tell me whether the base mini has room enough for a second HDD? Are the internals layed out exactly like the server model? Do they have caddies or will I have to buy these seperately? I heard somewhere that adding a second HDD requires a complete teardown but if you just want to replace the HDD with a SSD it does not. Is this true?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

japtor posted:

Or get a fancy VESA mount (and iMac VESA option) and use the iMac as a ghetto Cintiq :v: http://www.cregle.com/collections/ipen2/products/imac-model
(hell if I know how well it actually works considering it's not out yet)

What the hell is this!? Is that even possible?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

They really need to fix this scrolling issue. I checked out the retina pros today and god drat, it's an embarrassment. The 15 inch is not as bad as the 13 inch but, there's no way I could cope with what I saw at the Apple store. I want butter smooth web browsing and I don't think that's too much to expect.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Gnomedolf posted:

Anand says it's fixed with Mavericks.

Did he post a review somewhere?

Edit: Nevermind, I found a few other sources that confirmed this.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jul 12, 2013

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Are there any other differences between the July 2011 mac mini with i5 and AMD Radeon HD 6630M and the current model other than the integrated graphics and lack of USB3?

Which mini is likely to perform better with Mavericks? Will the older one even be compatible?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Laserface posted:

So what I am gathering is that it is less of using my iMac as an external display, and more just doing a hot-plug Target disk mode sort of thing?

LIke, I cant feed my Xbox HDMI into a HDMI-MDP adapter and plug that in to the thunderbolt port, right?

You'll need something like this: http://www.kanexlive.com/xd

Edit: japtor is right, the kanex will only work with the older mdp iMacs, not thunderbolt.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Aug 14, 2013

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Part of me thinks that the Thunderbolt-hub design of the new Mac Pro is for cost cutting. It'll likely cost more to outfit with the same amount of storage as the old internal bays, but I bet the standalone machine's cheaper.

This is part of the reason I love this thing. It just does compute. I don't store anything on my computer anymore, everything is in the cloud (music) or on my NAS (wdtvlive hub).

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

flyboi posted:

Edit: and to be honest after my experience with this iMac I have 0 care to buy into Apple desktop hardware ever again. The superdrive failed within the first year of owning it and it's already starting to fail completely less than 2 years after getting it. In hindsight I wish I had opted for AppleCare but this is below even most PC manufacturers in terms of quality. I'd be perfectly content if I could use the iMac as an external display but from everything I'm reading it pretty much will only work with Thunderbolt macs in OSX which is pretty disheartening.

What country do you live in? Some countries have statutory warranty legislation. In Australia you would get this replaced by Apple even though it falls outside their own manufacturers warranty.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Splinter posted:

Anyone have experience with this Logitech wireless solar keyboard? Any issues? I'm looking for a wireless keyboard for use when my MBP is 'docked', and am leaning toward this one since it has the number pad unlike the Apple wireless and I like the idea of not having to worry about batteries.

I use this with my mac and I love it.

As someone else mentioned, it would be even better if you could pair it with more than one device like some of their newer models.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

eames posted:

I found a site with a decent list of game benchmarks and narrowed it down to the current rMBP GPUs while we wait for benchmarks.
Take the results with a grain of salt because some of them are all over the place, but it’s better than nothing!

http://bit.ly/1acAWwX

I sure hope the Intel Iris Pro Graphics 5200 runs DoTA2 10 FPS higher than the NVIDIA 750m.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Wow, I cehcked out the retina imac in store today and mission control is basically a joke. The choppyness is obscene. There was either something really wrong with the imac or it's a product nowhere near ready for market.

The actual lcd panel is a sight to behold. It shits all over the NEC 4k display that was set up next to it.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Oct 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

wdarkk posted:

I wonder how well the Mac Pro thermal core scales down. Could you make a coffee mug mini?

...with dual mobile GPUs. I would be all over it.