Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Are the 15" rMBPs the only ones that have Thunderbolt 2 ports?

I'm looking to upgrade my ancient C2D MBP to something with Thunderbolt since I've got a few drives and a RAID, and while Thunderbolt 2 isn't a must have I'd like to maybe one day add a PCI extender and do something crazy like add an extra GPU for Davinci Resolve.

Meanwhile, I really love the 13" form factor and wish there were more GPU options available for it, but if I had the option of an external GPU that could work. But basically I want the current top end 15" in a 13" form factor.

Are the MBPs due for a refresh any time soon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I meant Thunderbolt 2, eg the 20gbps one. As far as I can tell it's only the 15" rMBPs and new Mac Pros. But I'm also slightly :downs:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Martytoof posted:

The 13 also has 2xTB2 according to wikipedia and i ordered mine with that understanding.

Welp, done deal.

Does anyone know if the Apple Store carries any of the 16gb models in store or is that BTO-only? I guess waiting for the middle of next week is all right, but it'd be cool if I had it for the long weekend.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Zartans Lady Mask posted:

Is the Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock any good? I'm seeing mixed reviews online, with people initially slating it for being flakey when it was first released, but apparently it's better after a firmware revision?

I like the concept, and the price is ok, but i can't be bothered with it if it's going to be at all flakey.

I've had one since it was released, it was indispensable for me because my first-gen Thunderbolt iMac doesn't have USB3 and this provides 3 ports (I don't think it gives you the full bandwidth, but I only use 1 USB3 drive at a time). Audio output was a bit flakey in 10.7 but it's been fine ever since 10.8.

I'm only a bit miffed that it's $150-ish these days, because I paid $300 for it.

Also, got my Macbook Pro. Opted to just get the 256gb in-store 13" model, since most of my serious work still happens on my iMac anyways, I'm pretty happy with just how snappy and light it is compared to my dinosaur C2D version. Also, has anyone messed with any of the Thunderbolt GPU expanders? I wouldn't be using it for gaming at all, just something that I could toss for extra CUDA computation in some video editing apps.

One thing; this thing boasts a pretty high resolution, but the UI in some apps like Davinci Resolve doesn't seem to scale at all. Is there a way to force apps to display in full resolution instead of cutting off some UI elements? Resolve in particular wants a 2560x1600 resolution, but when I launch the program it looks just like it did on my old Macbook.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

What's the market for 15" Pros like? Are they being bought for desktop replacements or do people actually carry these things around?

I lugged mine out of the house instead of my Air, and I'm trying to think of a reason I would need 16GB of RAM and an i7, battery life is already down to 80%, plus this thing i just a monster in footprint and heft. Woof.

16gb of RAM and an i7 in a mobile form factor is how lots of video guys get work done, especially if they're young/one-man-band kind of guys. Even for just a mobile DIT it's a lot smaller and lighter than having to lug around an iMac or Mac Pro.

I kind of wish they still kept the old Unibody form factor around but put in a Retina screen, because you could probably stuff in a couple more SSD's in the 15" body when the optical drive is removed.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The best for Retina setting seems to have a super low resolution and while fine for browsing or light Photoshopping, it seems woefully inadequate for programs that really utilize huge resolutions for the UI.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

It's dumb that you need to buy an app for this but I'm pretty happy with Switchresx so far

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I work on a Windows 7 machine at work with 2gb of ram and a 5400rpm hard drive.

Somehow I have edited video on this.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

It depends on usage. I only use my Macs for production work - so just a litany of Adobe and Apple programs, and with just applications and data it's about 160gb used. I keep my iPhoto on an external and all my music is ~in the cloud~ so this mitigates space issues.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

You never hear the fan on an iMac unless you're rendering video and every CPU core is engaged (I have the first Sandy Bridge/Thunderbolt i7 and it does get loud at that point).

Honestly I don't think the iMac line needs a refresh except maybe more SSD options - one reason I like the older Aluminum form factor because you can have an SSD, then pull out the SuperDrive and spinning hard drive and replace them with SSDs. This is probably not possible with the current design.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

If you work with RED 5k or 6k video, you need this.

The maxed out 27" iMac is fine for anything else.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Gothmog1065 posted:

Well, that's some justifcation. He said he was doing 4k videos in 3-5 minute clips or something for youtube. I just left him alone after that.

It took my Sandy Bridge i7 iMac about 35 minutes to render a 5k r3d timeline from FCPX. The timeline was like...2 minutes long.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Well now with Thunderbolt, you can use your iMacs as displays for that Mac Pro that is never gonna be practical to buy :v:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Do you have any Logitech drivers installed?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Pryor on Fire posted:

The Retina display has to be the most overrated feature of all time. Had one for like a year for a gig, lost it and went back to non retina for eight months, now am back on Retina and never really noticed the change. Sure if you lean in really closely and squint yourself cross-eyed some things look slightly better but it's really not going to matter to 95% of users.

I don't think 95% of users need a MacBook Pro either.

I needed a retina screen because Davinci Resolve needs a stupid huge resolution for the GUI to work properly.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

We're living in a weird time where I think the base Mac Pro might be a better value for certain users than the spec'd out iMac.

I'm looking at replacing my Sandy Bridge iMac and the current model doesn't really appeal to me, but in 2011 the iMac was easily a better value than the aging Mac Pro.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Type your serial number into the web page here:

https://www.apple.com/support/imac-harddrive/

IF it's says its eligible, you pay squat, just bring it in after making an appointment with the Fruit Stand. If it isn't, most likely somewhere north of $200.

If you put in anything other than one of Apple's specially modified drives with the custom firmware on this model, you'll get the jet engine noise from the fans that won't ever quit, but this can be mitigated by using any of the half a dozen or so fan control apps out there. Probably better to get that 2.5/3.5 adapter unless you want the SSD to be swinging around in there (you don't.)

That's not entirely true, the jet engine sound comes from a misplaced hard drive sensor I think.

A long time ago I did my own replacement on the original aluminum iMac and got a bored Genius on a weekday to properly seat it at no cost.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I always thought 100% was really just like 90% + trickle charging.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Aren't all the 15" models carrying i7's? Depending on your application, hyperthreading easily makes up for whatever small bump in speed the i5's on the 13" get you. However, if you are not editing video this does not matter at all.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

4 cores vs 2, lower clock speed (marginally) but more processing power overall if you use applications that can utilize this.

Since you're asking, I'm going assume you don't need i7.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I wonder how Thunderbolt ended up with the same connector shape as Mini Display port?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

You can put a Thunderbolt monitor anywhere in a daisy chain of Thunderbolt devices, but if you plan to use a mini DP monitor it will terminate the chain at the monitor.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yeah I haven't noticed any lag, though I guess the only thing I have to compare it to is a 2011 kitted out iMac. Still if there's some kind of dealbreaking performance issues, I'm just not seeing it.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The current model retinas came out like 2 months ago, I doubt a refresh is coming soon.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The biggest pain in the iMacs is proper placing of the thermal sensor that sits on the hard drive, because if you place it incorrectly the machine will spin up the fans to 100% unless you install some kind of utility to control that. The actual disassembly itself isn't difficult at all.

But sheesh, these things have Thunderbolt and USB3 now, why even bother? Just get a 500gb SSD and a dock and don't even sweat it.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

horse mans posted:

What's to report? I bought the most retarded maxed out retinal iMac and I can't loving wait.

Gratuitous action shot:

Should've gotten internal flash memory instead of wasting cash on a fusion drive :colbert:

I don't get Apple's pricing anymore. Aside from better GPU options and processor upgrades, the Retina iMac seems like a ridiculously good deal over a similarly-specced Mac Pro and you get a decently-sized 5k display to go with. Why haven't Mac Pro prices gone down? Like the only thing I can think of that would be a problem here is the single GPU trying to drive a 5k display and anything else that uses the GPU.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

horse mans posted:

Yeah, kind of regretting it now. Problem is my current space usage is 927 gigs. That's just too close to the maximum SSD size I could get to be comfortable with.

:psyduck: jesus how???

flavor posted:

Yeah, I waffled for a bit and then went for the SSD. It's easy to add on external disks using USB 3 or TB 2.

yeah now this is the poo poo.

Is the RAM still user serviceable on these things? I haven't kept up with the iMac design changes other than the obvious smaller body size due to the removal of the optical drive.

Choadmaster posted:

The CPUs in the Mac Pro are way better (and pricier) than the iMac's, and the dual GPUs in the Pro are insanely expensive (someone correct me but last I looked I think they were around $1300 each, though maybe they're cheaper). It's nothing like the iMac, hardware-wise.

Yeah the GPU's are expensive, but if I'm not mistaken the 4gb configuration offers similar performance to the base D300 configuration on the Mac Pro. Depends on whether or not Davinci, Red, etc. have optimized software for the R9's yet.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yeah realistically most people are gonna need something like 256gb on a SSD - the rest can go external, and if you REALLY need the speed you can throw the rest of your crap on some extra SSD's via USB3 or Thunderbolt.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Nobody who edits seriously puts their OS and edit media on the same drive, SSD or not. And 1tb is not a lot of space for media anyways - editing is one of those use cases where having a Thunderbolt or USB3 raid array makes sense.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Some applications prefer a single non-SLI/Crossfire GPU to drive the display and the other(s) to do computation, so yeah the Mac Pro would have an advantage there but it looks like the iMac still has a ridiculous price/performance edge unless you need more than 4 physical cores.

I still feel like the Mac Pro has been in a weird place ever since i7 iMacs with beefy GPUs have been available, like for the vast majority of users the iMac will be the most cost effective option unless you're looking to build something that can do realtime 5k color grading sessions.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

beergod posted:

X-posting from the software thread (which was the wrong place to put it):

Hey all,

I'm loving my 2014 iMac but really regret not getting it with an SSD. I think I'm going to run the OS and all of my applications from an external Thunderbolt drive. I think I can figure out the partitioning/software part of it, but can you guys recommend a solid drive for that sort of setup? Amazon Prime preferable; I can't imagine it needs to be bigger than 1 TB because I can still access the internal HDD on my Mac.

Thanks!

You're looking for an SSD right? 1tb Thunderbolt ain't cheap, your best bet I think is to get a 1TB Samsung Evo and pair it with a Thunderbolt interface like the Seagate Thunderbolt adapter.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The Mac Pro is a great choice for a tiny subset of working creatives. But generally if you're not working with Red 5k/6k footage, the Retina iMac is going to be the best bang for your buck.

And even if you do work in those formats, the maxed out Retina iMac may still be worth it over the same price Mac Pro because of the display. In my eyes the only thing the Pro has going for it right now is the ability to throw 2x6gb GPU's and a 12-core CPU in it.

That configuration will set you back $8k.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Never deploy upgrades on any kind of production machine if you're in the middle of any projects, and especially not before you've tested them in another system or VM or something.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I really wish there was a 13" rMBP that had one of the nVidia GPU's, because that would be the perfect laptop for me - small, light, can do things.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yeah my use case is very similar (video) and all my drives are either SSD or a Thunderbolt RAID. There's really no reason for me to have single spinning drives except for 2nd backups.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

lelandjs posted:

I have a 1,1 White MacBook that I keep around because back in high school I made some lovely GarageBand tracks that heavily relied on loops and built in instruments and they won't import into current versions of Garageband because those things are missing. I don't want to lose them forever, therefore my MacBook has a valued place in my closet for those occasions once every couple of years when I want to tool around with old poo poo I did.

(I tried adding the loops and instruments to the current version of GarageBand and while the loops added okay the instruments did not (it would load every single sample one at a time for an instrument every time I launched the project and then ran really really slowly))

Why don't you just export the rendered audio into a new project, while retaining a track with the notes/velocity preserved (but with a different instrument)?

And how often do you work on 8 year old compositions anyways?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I didn't realize so many people bought iMacs for gaming instead of something more practical like a PS4

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

8% can mean different things to different people and the new MBPs are a good buy, the refurb 2013's are also a good buy if you're looking to save a few bucks, now please shut the gently caress up?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Pivo posted:

Jerk. I don't know, man, maybe there's a better way to sell busted Macbooks for parts than doing all the legwork of the eBay process. I'm just *hoping* someone either has a better way, or can tell me "nope don't know a better way".

I usually have the answers but you'd be an idiot not to ask for a second opinion.

Craigslist
An electronics recycling place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yosemite looks fine on a non Retina screen.