Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
You might also mention that a lot of the GENUINE APPLE MAGSAFE BLAH BLAH adapaters on Amazon and such for half of normal retail are lovely rebuilds of failed ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

FCKGW posted:

It might just be hair or a bit of particulate under the glass. If you're feeling adventurous you can get a suction cup, tilt the glass out a bit and blow it with a hair drier and see if it comes flying out.

Really, you can just get a fingernail under each of the top corners and pull it forward with no fingerprints. Just blow it out, it's probably cat hair or something.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Mu Zeta posted:

So my 3 day old Macbook Pro started doing this. I tried restarting and it would work fine for a couple minutes and completely freeze. Rebooted again and the lightshow happened again. I'm guessing it's the video card? I also tried swapping the hard drive and RAM, no change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmbwYGoINy4

The sound is coming from my TV, not the laptop by the way.

LUDICROUS SPEED

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

frogbs posted:

I have a 2007 Intel iMac that is randomly shutting off. It doesn't necessarily seem to happen under load or anything, it's mostly random. Once it shuts off if often continues to shut off quickly after startup for the next few hours. I brought it to the Genius Bar and they couldn't get it to shut off randomly at all. They thought it might eb the power supply, but they weren't sure. Does anyone have any advice? Should I just spend the $150 and replace the power supply in the hope that its the problem? Should I be looking for anything specific in the console?

Heat will cause the machine to shut completely off in a blink once it gets past a certain threshold, I think, but it's gotta be HOT, as in putting your hand on the back should make this pretty obvious. I had a Mac Mini that did this.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Oneiros posted:

Your MBP will only do 1066MHz. That RAM should be able to operate at the lower clock speed, but you could probably save a few bucks and just get a slower set.

Not always. A lot of Macs poo poo themselves with wrong speed RAM. Learned this the hard way, buy the right speed.

Shaocaholica posted:

Does the Mac Mini 3.1 support 2x8GB dimms? I ask because it seems that there was no availability of said dimms when the 3.1 came out so someone would have had to test much more recently.

No. 8GB max.

Question: There's really NO reason to spend $200 more to get the current 13" MBP 2.4GHz over a brand new 2.3GHz model is there?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Shaocaholica posted:

Chipset limitation? I can't seem to find what the chipset even is on the 3.1.

Likely. It will do 2x4 which is double the stated limit, but I guess that's it.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Ugh, my goddamn 27" iMac now has two dark... smudges on the display. Removed the glass, they are actually in the panel, so now I gotta take the drat thing in. So unhappy. :\

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Just a quick cheer for Apple warranty service....

Took my 27" 2009 iMac in last night at about 730, the screen had some odd dark spots on it. They did some of the standard stuff, even though it made no sense, like resetting the PRAM, but eventually it got checked in for service to have the panel replaced.

They left me a voicemail this morning at 9AM saying it was done. They had the machine about 14 hours. $604 repair, covered under Applecare.

Completely amazing.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

FCKGW posted:

Was it in the upper right side of the screen by chance?

My 2009 iMac has a bad dvd drive and dust under the screen. I missed the Applecare purchase window too :(

It might be kind of hard to see, I took an iPhone pic just for documentation. The big dark splotch in the middle is just the camera vs. the LCD. It was like a bizarre stripe. It actually carried a bit further in both directions, but too faint to pick up on the camera.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It shouldn't take an active converter, since TB is just an enhancement of the DP spec. I'll be curious to see what happens when we have some TB sources other than Macs, because I have a feeling this is Apple not wanting you to plug in non-Apple sources to their poo poo.

This is the only thing that keeps me from selling and upgrading, gotta have a straight MDP in, no bullshit.

Here's a pic of the splotches, kind of hard to see:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Oh, goddammit. Got my machine back. Splotches are gone but now I have this in the top center of the screen.

That's not even a dead pixel, that's some kind of poo poo in the screen. I pulled the front bezel but whatever it is, it's INSIDE the thing.

gently caress :\

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
double post, not sure how

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Just a heads-up, from what I have heard, Micro Centers are going to start selling the current low-end 13" Macbook Pro(normally $1199) for $899 tomorrow. In-store only.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

FCKGW posted:

Not quite. They have a 13" Macbook Pro for $999 now.

They also have a special buy on the 13" Macbook Air previous gen (C2D, 256GB) for $899 now. New, non-refub models.

Also, all the iPads are $50 off.

Sorry about this. There was an internal notification e-mail that went out that said $899. I checked it about a dozen times. Must have been in error. Really sorry :\

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

cbirdsong posted:

The version of Civ V on the Mac is pretty poorly optimized. It runs orders of magnitude better in boot camp.

Isn't Civ 5 another lovely Cider wrapped game on the Mac? It's not really a fair test.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So is there a way to use the Thunderbolt port as a Display Port input from an external source on the current iMacs? It's the only thing keeping me from upgrading :\

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Sent from my iPad posted:

Hi SHSC —

Quick question, I have a 2011 27" iMac with the stock 1TB HDD. I would like to upgrade it to an SSD and, ideally, preserve my warranty. The chap at the Apple Store told me that while they cannot upgrade computers which have already been sold, places like MicroCenter can since they're authorized Apple service centers. When I called MicroCenter, they said that they could, but the guy I talked to on the phone didn't understand the first thing about iMacs and didn't seem to realize that the installation of a second HDD involves a special bracket and such.

So, if anyone knows, is there a good option for a third party installation service? And if so, is there a particular 200GB+ SSD model I should be looking at? The 240GB Intel 520 seems to make a lot of sense, particularly considering the warranty.

Have you considered doing it yourself? This does not void your warranty.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Ugh, so I got my iMac back. They fixed the screen and the dying hard drive but they loaded the wrong OS, 10.6.6 was on it instead of the 10.7.3 I dropped it off with, so I couldn't restore from an encrypted TM volume.
So then I redownload Lion, which took ages, and it won't install because the retards partitioned the disk as APT instead of GUID. WTF?
So I extract the DMG for Lion to burn it and they've completely hosed up my optical drive. It makes a horrible buzzing/scraping noise with a disc in it now and burns coasters.
Ended up cloning the DMG over to a USB drive and got everything, but UGH.

Motherfuckers, I am so, so mad at Apple right now.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

chimz posted:

Call up and complain at the store manager. Loading 10.6 on something seems very strange nowadays.

And then what? Drag it back up there AGAIN? I mean I don't really have a resolution in mind that doesn't involve me trucking the drat thing back up there, and I've got no desire to do that. I think at this point I am just going to cut my losses. I wanted to put an SSD in here anyway, so I guess I will just order a new optical drive while I am at it and just swap them both myself.

Binary Badger posted:

If you told them you had upgraded to Lion then they're the dicks. Most of the time when they replace hard drives the techs get a choice of ordering preloaded drives with SL or Lion on them. So for them to not even try to look to see what you have already (they can do it with a net boot) is just inexcusable.

I specifically told the genius that checked it in that it had Lion on it when she asked. She was probably too busy cracking the lamest jokes to note it properly. What's weird is that when I picked it up, the guy had a grey snow leopard disc and was like "uhhh is this yours?" I knew for a fact it wasn't because the last thing I did before I took it in was boot it with the mouse button down to eject a disc I knew was in the drive. The he was sort of confused and was like HURR I AM SURE I PUT LION ON IT.

No matter what happens, I am done with that particular Apple store, at least I have another one to pick from. I would complain, and I did outline this situation in the survey, but like I said, I have no idea what I want them to do about it. I am sick of lugging this thing around.

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 8, 2012

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

1997 posted:

Why didn't you review the paper / iPad you signed? Your OS is logged in that paperwork and it's customer facing so I'm not sure why you didn't have them correct it if it was wrong.

I don't remember seeing anything incorrect on the iPad. I'll probably break down and lug it up to the other Apple store eventually after this all wears off.

Cmdr Will Riker posted:

gently caress. What happened to target display mode?

Yeah, this is the worst thing and it's gonna keep me from upgrading for a while.

I've asked here, and I've asked Apple and there's just no way to do it :[

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

mattfl posted:

I'm seriously consider doing this. The air doesn't have any problem driving the monitor? I know you need that $100 adapter too.

Did you see the awful backlight bleed on the pictures the guy posted about the Korean ones?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

~Coxy posted:

I wonder if they will keep the Mac Pro as it is until Thunderbolt either sinks or swims.
Then either revive or kill it based on that.

It's a shame Psystar lost. We could have had a budding xMac cottage industry.

It's not like Apple doesn't have a history of abandoning a proven technology for something they are super hot for that's not quite adopted or completely baked yet.

I guess I am glad I never bothered to finish up my ACSA certifications, since OSX Server is not exactly going to be a huge market force anytime soon :[

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah an updated iMac is a day one purchase for me.

Me too, IF they let me have a video input on it again :[

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Anmitzcuaca posted:

Does anyone know if Apple will replace a Macbook Pro keyboard with a different language one? I bought mine in Australia but I live in Germany now and I use a German keyboard layout and keep forgetting where all the symbol keys are since itīs completely different.

AFAIK the KB is part of the topcase and not replaceable separately.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bob Morales posted:

I think I've had more Hitachi drives poo poo the bed than anything else but I dunno.

FWIW, at my company we've probably bought and put online over five hundred Hitachi hard drives in the last year. I can't remember the last time one failed.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Mercurius posted:

I'm kind of hoping that 2560x1600 resolution isn't correct for the 15" MBP, because that's only effectively 1280x800 in HiDPI mode.

HiDPI needs to really have a 50% or 75% mode which is smoother, but doesn't outright double. Would probably increase the size of apps way too much to have 3-4 different sets of their graphic assets, but it would be nice. You could even run the different apps in different HiDPI modes. That would be superkeen.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I think getting it replaced out of warranty is under $300, based on what was on my applecare statement when mine died. That said, having just replaced mine again with an SSD last week, it's laughably easy if you take your time and read the ifixit guide.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bob Morales posted:

Buy whatever brand 7200RPM drive you like and replace it. You can pop the glass off with a credit card and you'll need a T10 torx driver to get the screen off ($5). Or get an SSD....

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/3.5-SerialATA/

I believe you also need a T8 to get the studs out of the drive to put htem on the new one.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So lately, and I am not sure when it started, my iMac refuses to take displayport input from my PC. I have used it this way for years and years, but now when I plug the PC, I just get a black screen for a few seconds and then it kicks back over into its own native video.
I thought maybe my video card had shat, but I just replaced it, exact same result.

Is this a thing that happens? And what is the fix?

edit: I did just upgrade to ML, apparently that's breaking it for some people??

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 28, 2012

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Sonic Dude posted:

Yes, please transfer those screws. It won't hurt things (probably) if you don't, but the rattle will drive you nuts.

A Torx 6 screwdriver will run you a buck or two on the Internet, so it's not like its a huge savings to skip it.

You can also gently just use some pliers to move them, just don't crush or ruin them. I did this once when I had forgotten my tools.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Binary Badger posted:

But if you want to give an AASP or Apple Store tech a good laugh, go right ahead, the burrs and toolmarks are dead giveaways for those who try too hard.

I don't disagree with any of that, but it was like 1AM, no one was open. And I put masking tape around the screws so I wouldn't chew them up. :colbert:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I am fairly sure if it's a unibody, it is integrated permanently into the topcase and will require gutting the machine and rebuilding it into the new one for this to work. Could be wrong.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

kuskus posted:

Although if replace the 3.5" drive in my Late 2009, I'm also hoping this $1.25 Apple 922-9158 will spare me software fan control.

On my late 2009, I just used a jumper wire out of an arduino kit and bridged across the connectors on the temp sensor, it's never made a peep. I can't imagine that the SSD gets hot enough for anything to care.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Binary Badger posted:

It's been mentioned before, but just putting a clean install of Lion / Mountain Lion on the new, blank disk/SSD and then using Migration Assistant to move everything over works wonders.

IMHO it's more reliable than doing a straight clone, and even with straight clones sometimes something fucks up. Never had any problems doing the MA route, have had some even using the pay version of CCC.

I'll second this, I haven't done a diskdupe since like 10.4. Migration Assitant works exactly as advertised. I've dragged the same user account through about a dozen installs now.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

kuskus posted:

Well, fiddlesticks. This might explain why it's out of stock and/or $30-50 everywhere.

Can you point me to what you used? You joined the two pins in the 4-pin block connector that normally attaches to the "jumper" pins on your drive?

Thanks to both of you.

It's been a little while and I was half asleep when I did it, but iirc, the cable looked like:

The part in the background plugs into the board and the front part plugs into the hard drive.
I had a bunch of these lying around, http://www.dfrobot.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=130#.UK1Ct2dvKiw, so I just put one end in each hole and then taped the whole thing up nice and neat with electrical tape and stuck it somewhere.

edit: a little further reading shows me that there are actually different variants of that cable(http://files.macbidouille.com/mbv2/news/news_05_11/cables1.jpg) depending on what drive you have in your system. I just bridged the two holes that actually had wires going into them. ALSO, I know that someone out there was selling an external temperature sensor that would go into these blocks and that you could stick onto the casing of the drive like the older iMacs had, but if you're using an SSD, this is probably wasted money.

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 21, 2012

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
That's weird, I've had a 27" 2009 iMac for ages and have never noticed any sort of burn in issues. At least.... well, now when I get home and check I hope you guys haven't ruined my computer for me...

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Is there any possibility they are bringing back the ability to use the iMac as a display from an external source?? Or am I stuck in an old 27 forever :[

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

japtor posted:

Pretty sure he's talking about the newer ones being Thunderbolt input only now, so the old HDMI adapters and stuff don't work on them.

Yeah, sorry I wasn't very clear. After Thunderbolt dropped, iMacs stopped accepting standard DisplayPort input and required Thunderbolt instead. This is a sucky thing.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

jink posted:

Except the fact that the HDMI port is single link DVI only.

Then there's the argument "get a monitor that supports DisplayPort!"... Well, Apple won't output RGB to those monitors (only RGB to Apple Cinema Displays). My DELL U3011 only receives YCbCr, which I can't calibrate and the colors are absolute poo poo. The rMBP under Windows? RGB all day long.

Then there's the fact that dual link DVI monitors can't be rotated under Displays without being forced to a lower resolution. (My Radar was closed as a Duplicate).

What the gently caress, Apple.

So wait. I need a PC around and I've been using my 2009 iMac for a monitor for a while now. Works great.
Come upgrade time, the new iMacs do not allow video in via DisplayPort and I don't see Thunderbolt video becoming a big thing in the PC world anytime soon.
My plan was to switch to a high-spec Mac Mini and a big ole Ultrasharp from Dell. Your statement is making me anxious, so what's the right thing to do at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Wait, couldn't you put a windows partition on that (or on a new- if you want to do that) iMac and be done with it? The base 27" will run circles around the mini just on the GPU alone- and it'll come with a less glossy, (supposedly) pre-calibrated Cinema Display built in for roughly the price of a top mini+ Ultrasharp.

No, I have a much higher powered PC for gaming and such that the iMac can't even approach. Basically the PC is for gaming and the Mac is for everything else, but I don't want to go through the hassle of having two different expensive displays.

edit: If I could get an iMac that could perform as well as my PC, I'd just do that, but *Apple*