Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Still having a hard time deciding between the 11 & 13 MBA.

Battery life doesn't seem to be that big an issue (+- 30 minutes according to Anandtech) but my main concern is the screen size.

What do people who have them think? I'd mainly use it for casual web-browsing & emailing. I already have a desktop and an ipad but want something usable on a couch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Shmoogy posted:

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=3178897

Only way to get it in time is to pick up a kindle from a store (or buy a code off of ebay/a friend who won't use the code)

There is a 1+ month shipping delay on the airs from Amazon due to how many people are taking advantage of the deal.

Thanks dude. Just pulled the trigger on a 13" MBa bse model for ~$1000.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

The Apple tax - :smugdog:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Is it likely that Apple will release refreshed macbooks on the 21st?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

so is there not a new macbook coming out?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Is Chrome still a battery hog on OS X?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

My existing music player that I used for running conked out and I'm looking at the nano or touch. Any thoughts on either product? Or are there decent non-Apple alternatives?

I'd prefer something with Bluetooth and Spotify but I could also just go wired with mp3s...

My 6S+ is way too big to run with.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

What's the best desktop docking solution for an MBP?

I have a Ubuntu desktop hooked up to a 27" monitor through DP with a spare HDMI connection.

The obvious solution is to get a USB C dock with HDMI out and then a USB KVM for switching keyboard/mouse.

Anyone have a more elegant solution?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

The airpods being glued together unrecyclable trash with batteries that die out after a year seems more emblematic of Apple and humanity

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

It’s a neat piece of kit to expense for work but going with an Intel CPU and AMD GPU kinda sucks given where the market is

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

new silicon on the same frames as the existing laptops is pretty unappealing

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

we have perfectly viable high battery life ipad pros so slimming down the MBP/MBA doesn't necessitate a sacrifice in battery life.
i'm still bitter they killed the macbook 12". that was a good form factor.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

A convertible laptop/tablet would work well especially if you get both iOS and Mac OS apps.

There’s definitely desire from iPad Pro users for a laptop experience - just look at the weird-rear end keyboards people bolt on.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

The one that weighs a lot to act as a counterbalance to the tablet’s weight? And can’t fold backwards to allow for tablet use?

Like I said, weirdass keyboards.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

No <=12" MBA? Disappointing if Apple's decided demand for small screen computing is fulfilled by iPads

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I don’t know how you fix the iPad multitasking paradigm without breaking usability for casual tablet users. The current approach even with keyboard/trackpad is clumsier than a laptop once you have multiple apps running in the foreground and background.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

People don’t (can’t) use Apple laptops for gaming so I dunno how meaningful the M1’s graphics performance is

Even with Apple Arcade, it’s been disappointing how little Apple cares about gaming given they could have a mobile platform that plays better than a Switch

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I'd wait for reviews especially for anyone using their laptop for more than web-browsing, light data entry stuff.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

No one's going to be running inference on Apple laptops or desktops. If you're interested in custom silicon for ML inferencing, Amazon's shifting away from Nvidia cards to using their own ASICs for Alexa AI queries on the cloud.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

oddly enough the examples you mentioned are being done on the cloud including Apple's implementations

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

what kind of heavy lifting do goons do on their macs?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

given how ubiquitous VMs and containers are, there's a big chunk of users who can't migrate right now even if they wanted to

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

no one knows but who's going to go to the trouble of setting up an arm docker workflow locally then pushing out to x86 in production/remotely.

ultimately, it might push more people to treat the laptop as a thin client and running everything on the cloud.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol that this will trash microsoft's multiple attempts at a Windows ARM laptop

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

what's the status of running iOS apps on macs?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

The new chips are dropping support for a variety of CPU intensive tasks (Windows gaming, compute that leverages eGPU support, scientific computing in VMs etc) so talking about their raw performance is fairly uninteresting.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

even if performance and compatibility meet your needs, most people would be better off waiting for gen2 laptops where they actually redesign the shells.
picture the fomo when you see the sexy new laptops next year and your gen1 laptops look indistinguishable from the Intel SKUs

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

can't wait to play the plethora of arm native games with my M1 laptop

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

Didn't the initial announcement of Apple Silicon show Rise of the Tomb Raider running better in Rosetta 2 with their A14 devkit than it did with the 10th gen MBP?
I seem to recall that.

lol no, they had a prerecorded video of the game running on low settings/1080P to show that it ran at all. and this is a 5-year old game

ouch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybXPYjh0FKU&t=490s

shrike82 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 17, 2020

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

I wonder if Apple could one day apply their Deep Fusion image processing for a DLSS-style system... :pray:

lol

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol can the chip engineer calculate how fast the M1 handles workloads not supported natively or even with Rosetta

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Only works if you have control over the compute task - Amazon’s using it internally for their services.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

BobHoward posted:

The model that's going to be most interesting to watch is the Air, since it has no fan.

The 13" Pro and Mini don't seem likely to be thermally limited at all. Based on Nuvia's test data, Apple seems to be designing its big cores to reach full performance at ~4.25W. That means all four big cores in a M1 running at max would use ~17W. The 13" Pro chassis has a cooling system originally designed for Intel's 28W TDP chips, so 17W should be a walk in the park.

I'm sure that in practice there will be loads where the GPU and other accelerators will outcompete the CPUs for power budget, but a pure CPU load shouldn't need to ever scale back.

Contrast with Intel, whose 28W TDP chips can only run one CPU core at peak performance and must downclock as soon as you want two or more cores active.

fake e:f,b: Beaten but I thought I'd mention the numbers

lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i'm reading up about iOS app support and apparently it uses a separate storefront from the mobile devices where developers can opt-out of being listed.
most major apps have opted out so you're not going to see them (e.g. Google apps, Facebook apps, most major games)

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Fame Douglas posted:

I'd rather be able to put in the latest Nvidia GPU, to be honest. I can't imagine Apple would be able to compete in the dGPU market, and even the past Mac Pros have all been hampered by terrible GPU options.

they're not even willing to support Nvidia cards as eGPUs so you're going to be waiting a while

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

tbf, gpu tech are a competitive advantage these days for both consumer/enterprise tech so it might be less a relationship issue and more these companies deciding they need their own proprietary tech.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

they've tweaked their mobile solutions for PCs. that's a very far cry from building out dGPUs that don't have mobile applications.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

there's no question that Apple will have a solution that beats other iGPUs but are they even interested in competing at the dGPU level?
they're not interested in games. and i'm skeptical they're interested in competing in the GPU compute space - they'd be offering a desktop solution without a cloud solution which seems backwards.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Presumably when you want the convenience of a tablet and don’t want to deal with a PC-centric windows manager

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

From a business standpoint sure but I’d love to switch out my MBP and IPP with a single device