Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Residency Evil posted:

My friend is buying me a MBA 13" and giving me his F&F discount. How much is applecare through the F&F program? Is it also 15% off? Am I better off getting it via the edu discount?

If it's 15% off, you're better off getting it through the edu discount. AppleCare for regular is 249, 15% is 211 (calculated, no idea of actual), and edu is 183.

I imagine you'd also be missing out on the $100 edu gift card, and possibly the $100 printer thing, so ask him about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah I'm missing out on the edu gift card and the printer. I'm against printing at home however and I'd rather not be locked into spending $100 at the app store (even though I will).

The gift card also works on iTunes and the iBookstore, but if you're anti-iStore then you should go for the 15%.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

lemmiwinks posted:

I can't see anything relating to HiDPI in the preferences?

You need to install Xcode from the App Store, then launch the 'Quartz Debug' app from /Developer/Applications/Performance Tools, and select 'Enable HiDPI display modes' before they will show up in the Displays prefpane. HiDPI doesn't work properly with all apps yet, but it's significantly better than Snow Leopard, so presumably they're still working on it.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

pipebomb posted:

FFS. I can't catch a break lately. Everything new is loving with me.

How did you get Lion onto on that disk? You need the recovery partition that Lion puts down when it's being installed, because the login screen program is stored on the recovery partition.

Do a 'diskutil list' from Terminal and show us what it says.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Unless the battery is bulging and on the verge of exploding, then no you won't get a free battery.

Not necessarily, I got an explanation from a Genius when my battery did the same thing, there is basically a cycle count/current capacity standard that they are supposed to perform to, and if they're lower than that you might get a free replacement, bulging or not. I don't remember what the numbers were, so you'll have to ask and find out.

Take it to the Apple Store or call AppleCare and find out if they'll replace it before going off to buy your own.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

computer parts posted:

I just tried it; apparently the desktop suite doesn't have my driver, and trying to download the mobility driver application results in a similar error ("your computer does not contain a proper graphics adapter"). I tried uninstalling my current driver, but no luck so far.

Yeah, even the latest 11.9 Catalysts don't support the 2011 MacBook Pros. I have had success with installing the 11.8 preview drivers and the 11.6 preview drivers, because apparently they have the right hardware identifiers in them, but not the 11.9s. I use Apple computers specifically so I don't have to deal with Windows driver crap anymore so this is pretty frustrating.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/Catalyst118DriverPreview.aspx

Edit: also maybe the 11.10 preview drivers will work?
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU122AMDCat1110PreDriverV2.aspx

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

When's the last time you tried? AMD lifted the OEM driver restriction on their Catalyst suite not too long ago. I remember trying around April and it gave me the error you described, but I've has no problems since August.

Which one exactly did you download? The full desktop installer will pretend to install, but won't actually install new graphics drivers. Do a custom install and you'll see graphics drivers are not selected for install.

Aside: I'm currently experiencing graphics corruption in ME2 and in AC:B, but it doesn't occur in Mac AC:B, so I don't know what to make of that. I don't think I messed with drivers or anything before it cropped up.

chimz fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 9, 2011

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Why does it take a few minutes for my WD external 160GB USB HD to be recognized by my iMac with Snow Leopard? It shows up in Disk Utility, but it's grayed out and says 'not mounted'

I'm assuming it's doing some sort of consistency check?

Some of those externals with the special CD partition for the extra crapware they foist on you makes it take forever to mount the disk. See if WD provides a tool to reformat the disk to blank. I had this issue a while back and it solved the problem, but I'm not sure if it was a WD disk.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

You can install your bootcamp partition anywhere you like.

You can't run Windows from a USB disk, only from an internal disk. (If you know how to do USB Win7 I'd sure love to know!) It also has to be the last partition, unless you have more than three partitions (for Boot Camp).

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

fleshweasel posted:

What about a firewire drive, though?

Not as far as I know. If you get it working, tell me.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

cheese eats mouse posted:

I upgraded to Lion and now I'm getting weird black "spots" when scrolling. They go away when a new page is loaded. Is it a sign my video card is on its last legs?

Have you updated Firefox recently?

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

canada jezus posted:

Also, does anyone know how/if apple checks education discounts online? I'm registered at uni but its a kind of registration where i don't have a card or anything just a paper that said i registered etc etc.

As long as you're registered for university, you're good. Apple Stores will even take an acceptance letter and give you the discount.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

canada jezus posted:

Oh so i send them like a fax or something? I can't imagine they'd have to do that for everyone who wants the discount, seems like so much work.

No, you don't have to do anything for the online education store. They don't seem to check. Presumably if you started immediately selling the products you bought they'd track you down.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Malay posted:

Has anyone ever been able to partition their Time Capsule HD with an exFAT partition? I don't need 2TB for backups and I was hoping to use some of the HD space essentially as a shared iTunes or iPhoto library.

I'm having a hard time parsing the internet's opinion on this - but the consensus seems to lean towards it not being possible without actually taking the drive out. Any ideas?

The Time Capsule HD is shared over a network, the disk format doesn't matter. It should automatically share over SMB so that Windows can see it, no need for reformatting.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Choadmaster posted:

I'm upgrading my 2009 Mac Pro with more ram, a couple SSDs, USB 3 & eSATA, etc... I wasn't really planning on upgrading my graphics card, but I figure I might as well ask and find out if there is any reason to, just in case. Mine has the NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 with 512 MB of memory. I don't do any gaming, just lots of Photoshop/Indesign/Fireworks/Xcode work. Is there any reason at all for me to upgrade the graphics card?

If you want multiple monitors, the upgraded cards have 2 display port and 1 DVI, as opposed to the GT120's 1 display port and 1 DVI. There isn't really any other difference unless you're gaming or doing 3D modeling work.

FYI: DVI to Displayport converters exist and work with (non-Thunderbolt) Cinema Displays, but they're like $80.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

chupacabraTERROR posted:

microphone headset
It's not USB, it has the 2 3.5mm jacks.

AFAIK, Macs have a different type of sound input port than most Windows machines which gives better sound quality but requires you to have a powered microphone. Getting a USB headset is probably your best bet.

Edit: Macs have 'line in', PCs have 'mic in':
http://www.timescapemedia.com/forums/topic.php?id=4
http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9571

chimz fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 5, 2012

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

AlternateAccount posted:

Motherfuckers, I am so, so mad at Apple right now.

Call up and complain at the store manager. Loading 10.6 on something seems very strange nowadays.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Abel Wingnut posted:

If I bought a Time Capsule and moved my media to it, could I then point my iTunes library over the network to my media's new location? Really hate all of these drat USB cables.

You can, but it gets slower, especially at things like adding new music to your library. If your library isn't that big, it will work fine.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Abel Wingnut posted:

My library's pretty big...drat.

What exactly gets slower? iTunes? Network speed? Streaming problems?

Maybe it's just easier to describe what I'm trying to do. I have a lot of songs and videos that I want to access from my Air, iPad, and TV. My Air isn't always here so I can't just share from the computer via iTunes.

Is there another solution?

Buy a Mac Mini?

The TV and the iPad won't be able to stream stuff from the TC directly. You still need to run iTunes to access the content. (unless you want to fiddle with jailbreak stuff)

iTunes gets a bit laggier because AFP to the TC is higher latency and less well cached than local disk access. I also noticed that adding songs to my library took absolutely forever and it got way faster when I hooked up the drive directly. I think that iTunes pokes every single file in your library to make sure it's not a dupe before adding new songs, and the poking process is way faster on a local disk. Not really sure why it needs to do that, but it did.

It is livable but annoying, however you do get the benefit of having no USB cable.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

krooj posted:

Basic stuff like cut/paste really should be there though. Also, it would be nice to have a real address textfield, such that I could punch in something like '~' (I know about CMD-SHIFT-G).

You can jump to the home folder (~) quickly by hitting command-shift-H.
Check out 'Show Path Bar' in the View menu, which lets you double click on parts of your current path to jump up to them.
You can cut and paste files with command-C and command-option-V.

Not sure what the difference is between cmd-shift-G and what you want. You can use ~ in cmd-shift-G... Is it just that you want it integrated into the finder window?

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Galg posted:

Mine is pretty much the same except the link speed says 300Mbit. But both speed tests and downloads from usenet have me pegged at 55-57Mb/s. Looks like I'll have to be returning this.

Megabits != Megabytes:

300 megabits = 37.5 megabytes
57 megabytes = 456 megabits

Ethernet/Wifi links and Internet connections are usually measured in megabits, but file transfers are usually measured in megabytes. Are you sure you're comparing apples to apples?

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

I've been getting a bunch of kernel panics lately seemingly randomly..
AppleAHCI
com.parallels.kext.prl_hypervisor 7.0 15054.722853
org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetAdp 4.1.8
Serial ATA Device: Corsair CSSD-F115GB2-A, 115.03 GB

This could indicate that your third-party SSD is giving OS X fits. Is there an updated firmware available for your SSD? Are you using the TRIM enabler hack?

Also, I'd uninstall one or both of Parallels or Virtualbox. Different virtual machine products tend to not play well together, and sometimes contribute to an unstable system.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

nwin posted:

What's the consensus on the time capsule?

Works pretty great for internet and TM backup for me, the new Airport Utility for configuration and setup is a little dumbed down compared to the old version, but it does all I need. Network storage works well, but it's going to be a bit slower than a proper Firewire/USB external drive.

If your linksys doesn't have 802.11N hardware, you'll be in for a speed upgrade if you have any other hardware which supports N as well.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

canned_fruit posted:

Is it possible to make a partition that both operating systems can read? I'd prefer to only have a single copy of my media but want to be able to access it from both both OSX and Boot Camp.

When you install Boot Camp, it installs an HFS driver so that Windows can read Mac partitions. Also, OS X can read Windows partitions.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

pipebomb posted:

Any thoughts?

The 2012 Mini ships with a custom build of OS X (10.8.2 plus new drivers for the new hardware). My 2012 Mini is running build 12C2034 according to About This Mac, whereas my 10.8.2 Macbook Pro is running 12C60. Presumably the different number indicates the new driver support.

In general, a new Mac only boots with new OSes and updates to new OSes that are released after the hardware comes out.

To get the special version of OS X installed on a new drive, you may be able to boot the 2012 Mini into recovery mode with that disk attached and install to that drive. In theory it would be able to install overtop your old OS without erasing it first, but you should back up just in case.

Usually what happens is once a new OS update (10.8.3, as it's the next number) comes out for both 2011 and 2012 Minis, you'll be able to drive swap after installing the update.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS_X_Mountain_Lion#Release_history

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

TheMadMilkman posted:

I can't even get that far. Its the light grey screen before the dark grey one, if that makes sense.

Do you get to the spinny doodad? Hold down Command-V and see what it says, or hold down Option and choose your boot drive.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I am seeing a LOT of lines like this:

code:
6/27/13 10:51:46.670 PM com.apple.launchd[1]: (com.apple.sleepservicesd[38993]) Exited: Killed: 9
6/27/13 10:51:46.000 PM kernel[0]: memorystatus_thread: idle exiting pid 38993 [SleepServicesD]

This indicates you're running very low on RAM, check Activity Monitor, enable All Processes, and sort by Real Mem, see if anything in there is using way more than is expected, and check the System Memory tab and see if your Page Outs rate is nonzero.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Oceanlife posted:

I haven't messed with the videos yet. Is there an App to determine what the sources of the battery drain are? I would be going to Task Manager if this were windows but I don't know if there is an equivalent.

Steam is not good at being idle when you're not using it - try quitting it to see if your battery life gets better. Also, the syncing and indexing and setting up activity that you're likely doing right after getting a new computer will drain the battery more than a 'normal day' worth of usage.

The Activity Monitor app in /Applications/Utilities is the OS X equivalent to Windows' Task Manager.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

BobHoward posted:

This is true in some operating systems but not OS X. VM files are dynamically created as needed. After boot you'll typically have at most one 64MB swap file no matter how much RAM you have. (Unless you have so little RAM the OS is forced to swap a lot during boot. )

The hibernation file /var/vm/sleepimage still has to be created - however, it's for hibernation, not for paging.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

NOTinuyasha posted:

So I noticed this real fast, my new retina hates my last-gen Time Capsule. The connection suffers from constant second-long dropouts and total disconnection after a few hours. But Tim's scheme to continue loving me was foiled when I dug up my old E2000 with TomatoUSB, which has no such problems.

Did you try updating the firmware? There was an update recently that helped out with dropouts.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

Is there a tool I can run on a 2007 MBP (C2D 2.4) that will give me the instantaneous cpu freq? I want to check if its throttling as running prime95 can get both cores to over 99C.

The 'powermetrics' tool in Mavericks can tell you on recent machines, I'm not sure if it works on older machines as well.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

TheWevel posted:

I have a late 2011 15" MacBook Pro that is starting to be ridiculously slow. Basically ever since I installed Mavericks on it, it takes about 90 seconds (or more) for it to go to sleep whenever I close the lid. Launching Chrome takes about a minute or more to launch, and I can't do anything else with it if I have Photoshop open.

All that being said, I have the default 4GB of RAM installed in it and an aging WD 5400RPM 500GB hard drive from 2010 that I had installed in my previous 13" Macbook Pro. I am going to add more RAM but was wondering if this is one of the ones that could use up to 16GB? I am also wondering if I should replace the hard drive or just reinstall the OS? The drive doesn't seem to have any errors. Also I installed Mavericks through the App store, not a clean install.

You should upgrade the disk, preferably to an SSD - most of what it's doing when going to sleep is writing state out to disk. RAM will also be a help for performance, but ironically it will hurt your sleep times because there's more state to write to disk.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Thauros posted:

Oh, I've checked that, it's showing clear. I made sure to basically strip away everything but the essentials to rule out something draining it at an abnormal rate.

I use the current version of 10.9, so it's not a weird beta issue either.

That only shows you the apps you have - not everything on your system shows up there.
Select View->All Processes to see everything.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

xgalaxy posted:

So I'm currently using a Mid-2012 13" Air with 256gigs hd. I'm thinking of upgrading to one of the new 2014 MBPr 13" models. I use a MBP 2012 model at work and one thing that frustrates me is how slow and sluggish running a Windows VM feels. Will this be an issue with the new models I'm looking at? I really just need a VM to run Visual Studio and nothing else. The rest of my time will be spent in OSX doing other stuff.

More RAM will help a ton here. A better SSD will also help.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Cyrezar posted:

Just to clarify, the current rMBP is capable of driving 2 separate monitors (1 via HDMI, 1 via Mini DP to DVI-D) without any kind of switch needed, correct?

My understanding is that this is the case and that mini-DP works through the TB port without issue, but that for driving a third monitor additional steps are needed.

It should be able to drive 3 external displays plus the internal:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/20/3104640/macbook-pro-retina-display-three-external-monitors

though the tech specs only say 2:
https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs-retina/

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

flosofl posted:

Plus the quad core is nice if you use VMs at all. And max memory as well.

I just bought the high-end 15" rMBP right before holiday break as a present to myself with 16MB and I love it. I also use it for work and it pretty much runs my home lab. It definitely fits my use case.

Speaking of VMs (and I know this really belongs in the OS X thread), does anyone know if I can convert a bootcamp install to a VMdsk. I'm always launching it in VMWare anyway and I'd like to make it a dynamic VM so I can claw back some disk space.

You can, there's a few ways to do it - use vmware-vdiskmanager command line tool to copy the vmdk, or create a new VM and have it create a copy of the boot camp VM.

http://superuser.com/questions/280539/how-can-i-transform-my-boot-camp-partition-into-a-vmdk-file

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1015088

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Ninja Rope posted:

People say that and I've always wondered if that's just because of how the CPU and GPU go idle and clock down to like 100 mhz when not being used. Then suddenly you go to switch spaces or show all windows and there's actual work to do and it takes a few milliseconds for the CPU/GPU to get back up to speed. I don't think it's representative of the maximum performance of a system or effects of workload, it's a result of the computer trying to save power when not in use.

The power management hardware can generally clock up the CPU and GPU in less than a millisecond. The issue that most likely causes this is the effects of saving memory and VRAM when it's not in use - the OS doesn't keep all the graphics for all those windows hot in the GPU when you're not actually looking at them, and it sometimes takes a bit of time to clean out cached data from the RAM and GPU, fill it with rendered app window, and move that onto the screen.

Abel Wingnut posted:

what imac 5k configuration would you buy for audio production? i use both os x and windows. i run ableton in both, and logic in os x. each session runs 15-20 tracks, and each track requires 1-5 plugins. i'd like to spend < $2500, but i could splurge for a worthwhile upgrade. i have both a NAS and a external sound card. i am willing to buy a refurb.

CPU is pretty valuable here if you need lots of tracks - the better of a CPU you have, the more tracks you can fit more comfortably.
The i7's support for hyperthreading helps a ton here.

You can see the difference between the i5 and the i7 here - it can run almost 2X the number of tracks in Logic:
http://barefeats.com/imac5k6.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Mercurius posted:

I really hope they do change it. /tmp on UNIX systems is great as a temporary storage area (shocking, I know) and we dump installers there if we have to cache them because they don't play nice with Casper (old Adobe installers and SPSS, I'm looking at you) since /tmp automatically empties itself on system reboot. It's a nice and easy way to clean up leftover files.

mkstemp/mkdtemp/NSTemporaryDirectory/etc should still give you something you're allowed to dump stuff in.