Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Thank goodness someone else will tend to the OP, gives me more free time to find out what doesn't work in Lion :)

Edit: I see the expired in-joke about timb's creaky Macs is intact :smug:

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Astro7x posted:

Carrying over discussion from the other thread about the new Cinema Display.

So if I wanted to hook up my 2008 Mac Pro to it, I would just need to get a Thunderbolt to DVI connector, correct?

Any MiniDisplayPort to DVI adapter should work.

Or buy this card and just use a regular MiniDisplayPort cable.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

fishmech posted:

I'm not sure but doesn't the graphics used for the new airs also use some system ram for graphics? That's something to consider if you're thinking of getting your air with 2gb of ram.

Since some unknown crippling condition prevents you from visiting the specs page, it's 256-384 MB on the low end model MBA and 384 MB shared memory on the high-end.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

El Jackalope posted:

Would the low end mini serve fine as an HTPC as long as I upgrade the RAM? I'm not interested in gaming so I don't know if I want to spend the extra money on a graphics card unless it would help play high def content via XBMC any better.

According to the benchmarks at Notebookcheck.net, the Intel HD 3000 graphics chip is slower than the nVidia GeForce 320M it replaces from the previous model, but not by much, like 85% of the speed. Associates using the Mini 2010 models as media centers say it's just fine, soooo...

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

beefnoodle posted:

Holy crap Apple likes making people happy. I just exchanged my 3-week-old 13" Air (4GB/256GB/C2D) for the new one (4GB/256GB/i7) and got the $100 price difference back!

Faster processor? Thunderbolt? Backlit keyboard? Let us pay you for those. The only downside was a minor drop in graphics.

Glad that the "2 weeks" window was a little flexible.

Welp, it's only ancedotal evidence, but this should be remembered the next time there's a 'Apple gee-nee-yus told me i had to pay 500 bucks to replace the return key and they said i was a stupid head too' report..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Are there any takeaparts out there of the new base model Mini? I'm curious whether it has the necessary bits for adding the second hard drive after the fact, or if it needs an additional sled or something.

I don't even think the official tech docs for the new Minis/Airs are out yet.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Safari messes with my USB drives as well, but so does a bunch of stuff inside OSX that really shouldn't.

I've only seen this happen when using super el-cheapo $5 enclosures from a Chinatown computer store or a sale at MicroCenter. Some do and some don't. Enclosures with Oxford chipsets never give me a problem on any modern Firewire Mac except for some early G3 towers and the Yikes! G4.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 22, 2011

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

fishmech posted:

The 13 inch Air also lasts like 7 or so hours on battery while the 11 inch does 5 or so.

I can get almost 6 hours on my 11.6" MBA 2010 on lowered brightness and no wifi.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

fishmech posted:

Yeah but who really goes with no wifi?

People writing papers, doing non-web design work, reading predownloaded books.. :sigh:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Dual channel performance only matters to media / content apps that need every last bit of memory throughput and to spergy Mac owners who can't get up in the morning knowing their machine is running 3-6% slower that it is optimally capable of.

Rob Art finally got around to testing 2011 MBAs vs the 2011 MBA. Result: 2011's totally rock over 2010's, especially the quad-core (what a surprise.)

http://www.barefeats.com/mba11_02.html

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 24, 2011

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Doctor Zero posted:

As a person who has to support Macs in an environment with lots of projectors, I seriously want to give a huge hug to whomever finally decided to standardize the drat video ports on the Mac laptops. I gave it even odds that the new Airs would have yet another specific adapter.

Apple probably listened to the screams of people bitching that every time they upgrade their cool new Air, they have to get a new video cable too. Leave the wrong one in your case and you're up poo poo's creek at your next presentation.

BTW, anyone who wants to calibrate their monitor and doesn't want to pay big bucks for a colorimeter, or use Apple's semi-ham-fisted manual calibration routines should download SuperCal. It's $19 trialware but it has a pretty good 'eyeballs only' calibration routine that's free to use.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 25, 2011

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yes, it's no good for actually creating a decent ColorSync profile. I also never said it would be perfect for doing color proofing, it's just a better way to manually calibrate your display.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

BTW, the cheapest monitor calibrator you can get for Mac / PC at this moment is this Spyder 3 Express for $66 before shipping.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 25, 2011

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Not trying to defend them, but the Spyder 3 Express software works with OS X 10.4, 10.5, and 10.6 and was last updated 9/10, and it shows up as a Universal application in the Finder. Haven't tried it with Lion but it works fine on a Mac Pro with a crummy Samsung monitor and an old white iMac C2D.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Oh yeah, the 15-17 inch Air Pro rumors..

Sign me up for a 15 inch, but the options better be 4, 8, and 16 GB RAM..

Edit: Want to get a webcam that looks like the old Apple iSight, but works on USB and has a macro mode?

http://www.jr.com/ipevo/pe/IPV_P2V/

Only $70..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 27, 2011

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

serebralassazin posted:

I have the newer and older monoprice adapter and they both pass audio from 2011 13 in macbook pro perfectly.

Yep, in this case it's not the cable but the revision of the machine that's got to do with it. Pretty much any Mac model made in 2010 will pass audio out over the mini-displayport to proper HDMI adapters.

Oh yeah, now there's one more reason to install nVidia's CUDA software (other than waiting for BOINC project support):

http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL...S=set-locale=en

Toast Titanium 11 will use the GPU to speed up video conversions, they're calling it VideoBoost technology. It supports select nVidia chips, even the integrated 320M in the 2010 MacBook Airs! Dunno if it's a bigger boost than you'd get upping to a 2011 MBA's i5..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 27, 2011

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

You'd have to make sure there's a driver for that chipset for PowerPC Mac OS. I'm not sure if the cards have a Mac-specific ROM like video cards do.

Not needed. I've got an old Buffalo PCI card in one of my graphite G4's that is recognized as Apple hardware and works just fine with no flashing or any poo poo required with 10.4.6 and higher.

You basically have to get an older Broadcom based PCI card, Apple's drivers will recognize certain chips.

Edit: if you can find an Asus WL-138G v2 PCI card, that will also work with no special drivers required.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 27, 2011

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

japtor posted:

Is this the first GPU accelerated encoder on the Mac side of things? If it's using the same CUDA path as the one in this comparison, quality may not be too hot if that's a concern.

Don't really give a poo poo as it (Toast Titanium 11) produces excellent results for transcoding down to my iPod Touch, and the latest CUDA drivers (4.0.21, as updated by the CUDA prefpane) have had zero issues while transcoding.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 28, 2011

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

bassguitarhero posted:

:words:

Maybe it's a bad PRAM battery? Disconnect the network cable and reboot, if the time resets to Wed 7:00 you might want to get a new PRAM battery.

Also what video card is it using? Did you take it out and clean it if it has a fan?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

bassguitarhero posted:

There's also a 7300GT in here but I don't think that has a fan. There's no network cable connected, I'm using airport for internet.

Unless it's connected to a monitor try running without the 7300. That is like one of the worst cards ever made for the MP.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

flyboi posted:

FW800 is much faster than USB and I'd suggest it. While the test is dated my tests on my 2011 iMac were very similar in terms of speed http://www.barefeats.com/usb2.html

Another thing to remember is that Firewire utilizes a dedicated controller that mediates the transfer; USB still makes your CPU do most of the work.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Only if they still have it in stock, I'd call them first to check.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Just check out the 13" MBA at the apple store today and ordered it when I got home. It's going to be quite a jump going from my revb macbook :).

Being a 11.6 inch 2010 owner who sold off his rev A MBP I can safely say you will love the difference..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I am at an Apple Store and some chick is using her 3GS to take photos of MBA specs being displayed on iPads.

:ughh:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Now that I'm back from my 10 day vacation: someone give me a reason not to stop at an Apple Store on the way into work and buy a new 13" Air. :ohdear:

Because the nVidia 320M on the 2010 is much better. Of course totally forgetting about the i5/i7 part of the equation.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Has anyone picked up Apple's USB to Ethernet adapter with a 2011 Air? I'm seeing some reports of the adapter not working with Lion, and I'm wondering if I should pick it up.

There are actually two models of Apple's USB to Ethernet adapter. One was packaged with MacBook Airs from the original to the 2009 models. The current one, which is based on the Pegasus AX88772 chip, has been shipping with the 2010 MBA's and later.

I'm betting those reports were in regards to the older adapter.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Hey, different levels of service at different stores.

My friend took her iMac to the Fruit Stand at the Palisades Mall with a bad power supply, they met her at the Cheesecake Factory entrance and helped carry the machine up to the store. About 90 minutes later she got it back with a nice clean screen too. YMMV..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

In my opinion / experience using any underpowered adapter will eventually ruin the battery. The battery's programming expects to see the proper adapter and manages / regulates power based on the proper voltage.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

FlashBangBob posted:

Get the higher 11", the one that comes with 4GB and 128GB. For couch surfing it is fantastic. Have you ever used an iPad on a couch, though? -- they were made just for this.

Hey, he's holding it wrong. :)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

On Unicornback posted:

Welp, egg on my face. I just assumed they could handle 4x3.5" discs. Nullifies that answer.

Mac Pros have four SATA bays, G5s only have two. They look nearly the same on the outside but are quite different on the inside.

Try going to everymac.com to check things out before posting stuff that any seasoned Mac goon can and will nail you on.

Gunjin posted:

Don't buy a G5 unless you specifically need to run software that will only run on a PPC based mac. They are slow, extra noisy, give off a poo poo load of heat, and suck down electricity like crazy.

And don't forget the liquid cooled G5s whose coolant seals are all past their expiration date, some are leaking green fluid..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 7, 2011

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

japtor posted:

I just realized I might be wrong on the fast/gigabit thing I wrote earlier. That might've been between PPC and Intel, so double check that if it's a deal breaker. (I would but I'm posting from the iPhone app :shobon:)

All PPC minis have 100 Mbit Ethernet, all Intel minis have gigabit.

I guess all the bitching they got during the PPC era made them cave in.. Think I've got a pic of a rack of Mini servers here someplace..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

brc64 posted:

So I got my Air, brought it home, started playing with it. Not even an hour after setting it up, my wife is looking up Mac Minis online. Long story short, we go back to the Apple store and she gets an entry level Mac Mini, wireless keyboard and trackpad. :psyduck:

:psyduck: is right when your wife watches you engaged in geek love with the Air and decides SHE wants a Mini. Hope you had an extra display lying around.

quote:

We decided not to spend the extra $300 for more RAM since crucial.com says we can max the sucker out for like $60 or $70, so we'll probably do that. The new Minis make RAM upgrades crazy simple compared to the old ones, apparently.

NewEgg has some good RAM prices too. Mmmmm, yeah, undoing a few screws is a lot simpler than jamming two putty knives into the bottom of your machine, levering out the main housing with brute force, and hearing a lot of plastic snap before you even get the drat thing open.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

brc64 posted:

Right now it's hooked up to the TV, but we're going to use her PC monitor (she's abandoning her desktop). The new minis come with an HDMI to DVI adapter cable, so that won't be a problem.

Newegg's got 8 GB of compatible Corsair RAM for $50 with free shipping..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Couple of people reported on xlr8yourmac.com that it's possible to upgrade your older card to an Airdrop compatible card by getting the 'new' card on eBay and installing it.

xlr8yourmac.com posted:

The cards that support AirDrop by default:
Broadcom BCM94322MC, BCM94322HM8L
Atheros AR5BXB112, AR5BXB92, AR5BHB92, AR5B93
(And sounds like Atheros AR5B95 would work if AirPortAtheros40.kext edited to add DevID = 0x002b. Ditto for AR5BXB72 if edited for DevID = 0x0024.)

Cards that do not support AirDrop:
Broadcom BCM94321MC, BCM94312MCG, BCM94312MCAG, BCM94311MCG

Some people over there have already reported success with the PCIe mini cards.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

There's a very cool writeup on the new 5th Generation Airport Extreme at Anandtech.

Lots is discussed, including performance and transmit power going up across the board on the 5th as opposed to the 4th gen. Apple moving to only Broadcom on both the access point and client hardware implies a double-edged sword. Cool stuff like AirDrop is only possible when using all Apple hardware. You may lose performance if you decide to go with an Atheros-based access point (though out in the wild you likely have no choice.)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Leonard Leroy posted:

Any recommendations for a place to order a replacement Macbook Pro battery and charger?

Most non-Apple replacement batteries are poo poo, same for chargers.

The best deal is to see if you can get an AASP to take a crap MBP battery to exchange for a new Apple one for about $93-95. Same with the MagSafe chargers.

Apple has not licensed MagSafe adapters to anyone so any third party replacements are usually refurbished, used, or reconditioned, not new.

Maybe this should be mentioned in the OP as it doesn't look like this situation is likely to change soon..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 10, 2011

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Aardark posted:

In other words, there's no difference between Apple and non-Apple chargers.

Literally, since most third party MagSafe chargers are just used / returned defectives that might've been rescued from the landfill.

On the other hand, I've now been able to rescue three of the old rectangular 85W Apple MagSafes by using Sugru.. it's really great stuff. For some reason Apple just hasn't gotten the hang of plug boot design..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

^^^ wall of text glazedeyes territory

VPN is fine, Cisco and F5 work perfectly with the AEBS (and the TC) without any fine tuning bullshit for me and countless clients.

As for the TM horror stories, a lot of it centered around lovely wireless backup. Apple got their poo poo together and fixed up the backup routines both in the OS and in the AE/TC firmware, so it's mostly a thing of the past. Just do your first backup over Ethernet and unless you edit 8 GB Photoshop files every day (which is definitely NOT what the wireless part was intended for) you'll be fine.

Myself, on my Mac Pro, I do TM to a portable Verbatim 500 GB over FireWire and never had any problems.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 13, 2011

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Scarf posted:

I have a 2008 dual quad Mac Pro, and my GPU just died on me. Looking at replacements and I was going to grab a Radeon HD 5750 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129146).

Any reason this would NOT work in my machine?

What flyboi said, and this card should work:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC742ZM/A

Just make sure you use the miniDisplayport to DVI adapters and remember to hook in the PCI power cords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Scarf posted:

So even though that says "mid 2010" and mine is an early 2008, it'll work just fine?

Yup. I've installed other Apple-sold 4850's in early 2008 machines, replacing lovely nVidia GT7300s.
I'm sure other goons will chime in on this; also you can check the 'questions asked' section of that link I posted earlier and you'll see it verified there. For whatever reason, Apple chooses not to officially support these cards on older machines, presumably in an attempt to get you to throw more money at them in new tower sales.