Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
My early 2008 macbook is having weirdo problems. Sometimes when it comes out of sleep the hard drive makes the scratch scratch of death. So I reboot and it gives the folder with a question mark. Taking out the battery and jostling the poo poo around it with a screwdriver makes it work again, however. SMART shows that the drive is ok, so I don't get why it would be a problem. Could my logic board be failing, or should I just replace my drive?

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

1997 posted:

SMART status isn't the best indicator of whether or not a drive is failing. If you're hearing those noises and get the folder with question mark then your drive is very likely failing. Backup if you can, then get a new drive.

That was my first impression, but the problem has been going on for a month now. And every time I take the battery out put it back in it seems to "reseat" itself or whatever it ends up working again with no complaints.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Neurophonic posted:

A slow death is still a death.

Good point. I will order a new drive soon.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I have a new and hilarious problem with my early 2008 Macbook's wifi. I got home from a trip today and it won't connect to the home router. It doesn't automatically connect, and when I manually try to connect it asks me for my password. When I put it in it gives me a connection failed error. I suspected a wifi hardware problem but it connects to my phone's hotspot fine. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it? Thanks.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

willie_dee posted:

How much slower would a iMac be vs an apple laptop both purchased new at around £2k when it comes to video editing?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I was always under the impression that both iMacs and macbook pros use the mobile version if intel's chips, so while the iMac might be faster it wouldn't be that much.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Have an issue with charging on an early 2008 MacBook. It no longer recognizes my charger (which is a new L model) without 30 of jostling it around. The guy at school IT says it's because my battery is consumed but when I take it out of MacBook it still doesn't recognize the charger. He did say the charger was working properly and everything when they did the hardware diagnostic, which makes no sense. Does it sound like I need a new battery?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

~Coxy posted:

Nah that sounds like a bad magsafe.
Hardware diagnostic won't show a bad magsafe so not sure why he's escaping the blame.

Interesting. School IT is notorious for being shitheads (sameguy told me months ago I had an impending failing HD; said drive still works like a champ). I got this charger I think less than a year ago. Would apple cover a replacement?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Apr 20, 2012

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So it was the power adapter after all. Just bought a new 85W one (since I am upgrading to MBP 15" as soon as I have graduation money to squander) and it charges like a champ. Coxy: 1, IT: 0

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Just graduated today. All this graduation money is burning a hole in my pocket-- Apple needs to get those Ivy Bridge MBPs out ASAP.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress, ordered back when it was 5-7 days. Showing up now as 2-3 weeks!!

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Bah MBPR isn't planned on being delivered until July 2-9. Ordered on the first day too :(

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Did anyone who ordered their MBP:R the evening of the announcement get an update on shipping before July 2-9? I've hit that point where dropping 2k on a machine that might arrive a month later is really hurting :smith:

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
:siren: MBP:R shipped :siren:

If you ordered on the first day but missed out on the first week's shipments there might be some good news.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

lol internet. posted:

Also used the educational pricing online, when are they going to request information?

For me, never :ssh:. I wouldn't abuse their educational pricing lest they take it away but they did not ask me for my student ID or transcripts or anything like that.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone running Win8 on their MBP:R know how to crank the brightness up? I turned off adaptive brightness in the settings but it's still limiting my brightness to around 50%. When I run that windows benchmark thing it kicks it up to max brightness just to drop it down again after it ends.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Dunno, I upgraded from a 2008 whitebook so the retina macbook pro runs like a scalded cat compared to that machine.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Currently regretting not ponying up for a bigger SSD in my MBPr. The biggest I could make my boot camp partition according to the wizard was 60 GB :(

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

duck monster posted:

Are there MBPs available with retina that dont feature loving soldered in ram or glued in batteries?

I really would like a retina display but after being hosed by apple before on warranty, I refuse to buy something I cant pull apart and repair myself (or take to my father who's an electrical engineer freak of nature who in his 60s is still unwiring surface mount poo poo like its no thing)

Nope :(

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

kuskus posted:

I finally replaced the CPU (i5 2.66 -> i7 2.93) and GPU (Radeon 4850 -> 6970) in my 2009 iMac, and it now plays Diablo III on max settings at max res. I believe the MXM board I bought to be an official OEM part. It came with its own heat sink, which is more hardcore via one extra copper pipe. :chord:

I am beyond happy I didn't somehow shock myself or the components when I was wrangling them. The power supply is totally unshielded and replacing the CPU heatsink requires two types of opposing screwdrivers at 180 degrees while leveraging the entire floppy weight of the logic board between them.

I absolutely recommend this upgrade if you want to squeeze life out of a similar vintage iMac.

My mind is blown that MXM is still around.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Hardflip posted:

Retina MacBook Pro Top Tip:

If you've got folders in your dock, right click and change them to display as 'Folder' instead of 'Stack'.

Apparently displaying all those icons stacked on top of each other causes low frame rate when swiping between screens/using Mission Control.
:eyepop:

Wow, that made things buttery smooth!

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

lionlegs posted:

Can anyone with a retina MacBook Pro tell me if they've had any issues with the new T-shaped MagSafe? There's a huge amount of reviews on Apple's online store saying the the magnet is far too weak and it often falls out of the laptop. Then again, that's hardly a representative sample...

It's designed in such a way as to not perturb the cord with stress ever.
This also means the connection is a little weak to my liking. Sometimes I feel like sneezing near it will cause it to fall off.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Don Lapre posted:

If you have an apple store nearby take it to them. We had a customers 17" macbook pro with a bulging battery, well out of warranty. The bulge had damaged the motherboard. Apple repaired the machine and replaced the battery at no charge.

YMMV, the Apple stores around here refused replace a bulging battery for me, and I had to buy a new one.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone upgraded their rMBP with the 480GB OWC Aura Pro SSD? I'm thinking about picking that one up or going with ebay and getting a OEM 512 GB SSD.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Just installed the OWC Aura Pro 480 for my rMBP. Is there any benefit to enabling TRIM for this non-apple device?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Used the trackpad after washing my hands (but not drying) and now the trackpad seems to be damaged from moisture. Even after a two day rice treatment it's still broken and I had to turn off all the multitouch stuff to get it to work otherwise it was clicking around and gesturing like wild. I called Apple and they said it would cost $610 flat rate which is pretty extortionate. Is there a service that does trackpad replacement for less? Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

1997 posted:

Can you take it to a store? Trackpad replacements are like $90 (in the US). Unless there is something else damaged from liquid you should be fine.

That sounds much better than the $610 that they wanted me to pay good god.