Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
I'm looking to replace my late 2007 core 2 duo macbook pro and the new macbook pros are just not price competitive at all. I can get a comparable W520 for literally half the cost. Am I missing something here? Maybe the MBP video card is better? It has 250 gigs more HD space but that's not a concern for me.

I guess I should just be patient and wait for the next refresh. Between the rumours of the upcoming higher resolution displays and the inevitable ivy bridge release and mountain lion too... I find macs are much more price competitive right after a hardware refresh.

Or maybe I could get a refurb air to tide me over for a few years. How hot do the i7 1.8 ghz run? My wife has a core i5 1.7 ghz and it runs very cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

ZShakespeare posted:

For Time Machine backups is there any advantage to getting an AEBS+NAS vs. a Time Capsule?

Replacing a time capsule disk is a pain. But you can't really use a NAS you need to use a USB external drive. I tried a WD NAS that claimed to be Time Machine compatible and it didn't work very well via WiFi (fully patched for Lion too).

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Binary Badger posted:

Most of the poo poo in the OP is still correct EXCEPT for two things:

- You could probably put in Adorama and Amazon after B&H for third party vendors

- Apple now requires you to buy AppleCare within 90 days of purchase, not a year

It depends on what country you are in, to be more specific - it's still up to a year in some regions iirc.

AppleCare is also available as a monthly option in some regions, which is worth it if you flip your stuff yearly or want more than two years of coverage.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
Even optimized charging should still charge the first 80% quickly iirc. Sounds like that Mac may have a physical defect.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
Yeah my homepod mini works great with my iPhone but not too great w/ my mac. If I stream directly from Safari on my mac it's generally ok but streaming all audio to it there results in a lot of lag despite my network being very good. I wish I could force it into a bluetooth mode instead of Airplay because I have zero issues with my airpods or my bluetooth speakers.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
To be fair to Airplay, Bluetooth used to be complete and utter garbage. It's improved immensely over the years to the point where it never gives me issues and I never really see IT at my company having to deal with Bluetooth issues anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

mediaphage posted:

you can buy a new laptop straight from apple for that budget.

an m1 13-inch air is $1299. a refurb is $1099 (from apple). if you are willing to buy on the educational store subsite (they never check ime) a new m1 air is $1169 and an m2 air is $1299 (otherwise $1449). plus if you buy from the education store you'll get a $200 apple gift card.

you'll want to add some cash for ram, but it still hits your budget.

Yeah even the lowest end Apple stuff is great these days unless you absolutely need more ram. M1/M2 chips are insanely good.