Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Can someone tell me where to get low profile USB keys relatively cheap? Looking for something that will mesh with my unibody MBP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
My wife's 2007 Blackbook has just started displaying signs of a warped battery. The case is starting to bulge so I told her to remove it immediately and we'll hit the fruitstand this weekend. Her macbook is out of applecare so I'm not sure apple could cover the cost of a new battery or case. Also, would they even be able to replace a black battery? I've gotten a replacement battery off ebay for an old powerbook which seemed to hold up ok. Any advice?

Edit: crap, she says it's leaking. Anything special I should do to the battery when I bring it to the store tonight? Putting it in a plastic bag ok? Don't want those chemicals all over the house.

SnatchRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 22, 2011

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Just wanted to post a trip report. My wife took her 2006 Blackbook in for service due to a bulging, leaky battery. The laptop was waaaay out of warranty, but Apple still replaced the battery and the entire lower case/touchpad since it fell within the parameters for the cracking risk guards. All for the low, low price of $0 and no cents. She was pretty stoked. Great experience.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
If I wanted to install an SSD on my wife's 2006 Blackbook would I need to find an IDE drive? Or can I use SATA? She's still on leopard as well. I assume I would have to upgrade her to Lion?

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Are there any other HDD diagnostic utilities built int OSX besides Disk Utility? My wife's blackbook keeps getting disk permission errors and the first aid tool in DU fails with Invalid file count and Invalid volume directory count. I think her HDD may be failing so it may be time for a shiny new SSD.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Kind of a oddball question, but I bought 2 blue snowball mics to podcast with a friend. For some reason when I plug in both over USB only one of the mics shows up as an audio input. I've tried everything in Sound pref pane and MIDI audio settings but I can't get them to both show up in OSX or Windows. Anyone know what's going on?

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
So according to that link it sounds like they will refresh the Pro line at WWDC. I really hope they update the Airs as well since I've had my eye on one for a year. Just haven't pulled the trigger since I still have my 2008 Unibody kicking around.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Assuming the New Air packs intel's HD 4000 Ivy Bridge graphics, how would that stack up to the NVidia 9600M GT in my 2008 unibody?

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I noticed last night that the glass trackpad on my 2008 Unibody MBP has been sticking. It seems like the touchpanel stays depressed so whenever I tap on text or try to two-finger scroll it highlights instead of scrolling. I'm just out of applecare, so would it be worth a trip to the fruitand or just deal with it?

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I noticed that my glass trackpad was sticking on my 2008 unibody MBP, so on the recommendation of folks here I took out the battery to see what was up. The trackpad seems to click no problem with the battery out, but I did notice a bit of snugness when I tried to get the battery back in, so I'm thinking the battery might be bloating and in need of a replacement. The problem is I'm just out of 3 year Applecare so if I go into the Apple store they may charge me for a new battery. Would I be covered if the battery is indeed bloating and causing the trackpad to stick? Otherwise I'm thinking of just getting a new MBAir after the refresh.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Pretty sure this has come up before, but can anyone comment on portability between the 13" MBPr and the 13" air? I'm getting ready to replace my 15" 2008 MBP which is something like 5.5lbs. I'd like something more portable but with some power since this will be my main work machine and will be taken on trips/commutes. The MBPr weighs in at 3.5lbs or so compared to a hair under 3lbs for the air. Does that extra half a pound make a difference? I should also mention I'll be running VMs so 8GB is a must.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Bob Morales posted:

The Air is thinner but the rMBP is smaller in every other direction. Do you need multiple monitor outputs or the much better (and higher res) screen?

I typically just use one external monitor, the retina screen doesn't really make a difference to me.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I just ordered a new Macbook Air 13". The order confirmation says it comes with a 1 year warranty but 90 days of Apple care. My last macbook pro from 2008 came with 1 year of applecare as I recall. Is this a change or am I just misremembering? Does the 1 year warranty cover most defects? I was under the impression that Applecare is a must on the airs considering the closed nature of the device.

edit: actually, it looks like it's just phone support is 90 days.

SnatchRabbit fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 9, 2013

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I grabbed a cheap 120GB SSD for my wife's Blackbook. The only OSX disk I have is 10.5.5 Leopard which should do the trick for install, but which if any updates will I be able to install moving forward? Did apply make all the old updates free or no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

kuskus posted:

I feel like most modern software requires at least 10.6.8 without complaining. Try to wrangle an SL image from somewhere?

I might have one on an old thumb drive. Is it possible to make a bootable USB and just install from that? Not sure if that was easy a few years ago or if there were hoops to jump through.