Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Fanatic posted:

My early 2011 17" Macbook Pro started crashing and getting stuck on a grey screen with pink vertical stripes on bootup. So I took it to the Genius bar yesterday and they're going to replace the logic board for free, waiving the $720 fee! :woop:

Was kind of surprised they honoured the known issue thing considering it's now over four years old and has 3rd party RAM and battery. The iFixit way to replace the logic board looks like a pain in the rear end so I'm so glad I don't have to do it now. Thanks Apple. :)

There is a recall on that particular model. I don't know if I'm more upset that they made it seem like they are saving you money, or that they failed to let you know that your PC has a recall-extended warranty until mid February.

FTR, you wouldn't have to pay full price for a logic board, even if your system was out of warranty completely. Depot repairs fix any issue you say is wrong w/ your computer and its a flat rate of something like ~300 dollars.

I'm on my fourth logic board, fwiw. If it happens to you again write an email to "tcook@apple.com" and make it a real sob story, you'll get an Actual Person to call you back from executive support whose number and email you should hold on to.

edit to clarify: in case you care, those models get so hot that they melt the solder under the GPU (the same as the xbox360 red ring of death) causing the issues that you saw. Most people do the official support thing(myself included) but there are also 3rd party reballing services (dont really recommend these b/c you have no clue what kind of condition the replacement GPU they are using is in) combined with using proper brand and amount of thermal paste on the heat spreader (from the factory apple puts on incredible amounts of thermal paste which actually end up raising temperatures. Between 10-20 deg cooler temperatures are expected from redoing the paste yourself on these laptops)

Incomplete Fish fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU