Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

qbert posted:

Has anyone ever used macconnection.com and know how reputable they are? They're selling the new Airs for $50 off, charge no tax in California, and offer free shipping.

It seems like the best deal around at the moment, but I've never shopped there before.

They're a division of PC Connection. They seem legit, but they only have a 3.5/10 review on reseller ratings

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/PC_Connection

EDIT: Google Product Search gives them 4.6/5 though
http://www.google.com/products/seller?zmi=pcconnection.com&sa=X&ei=RYUoTqLCGYT0tgPt9uyBCQ&ved=0CAUQwQY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SERIOUS posted:

Anyone have a new 27 inch iMac? Because I just got this email:

Please tell me this is some type of email phishing scam because I'd so not be amused if it wasn't. :(

Yeah, really sucks about you getting a free harddrive.

http://www.apple.com/support/imac-harddrive/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

JHVH-1 posted:

Has this been discussed yet:
http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=STORHDOPTIBAY

I don't think I ever use DVDs anymore and its comes complete with a USB enclosure for $99.
I already have a firewire DVD drive anyway, and having room for a second hard drive is tempting. I could do two 1TB drives or 1TB and SSD for OS.

Many, many times before (although in the old thread).

There's quite a few people here who run that setup. From what I remember it's best to run the secondary drive in the Optibay because there are sleep issues.

If you don't need the enclosure, you can find generic versions on eBay for 70% less.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Small White Dragon posted:

So regarding the HD problems in some iMacs, how do we tell if a given iMac is affected?

By serial number. It's right on Apple's support page.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

bassguitarhero posted:

So I figured out that it was the RAM that was causing my Mac Pro 1,1 problems. Or seems to be, although Tech Tool Deluxe didn't seem to have a problem with it. When I checked my computer yesterday AM it said I had 2GB RAM, then I shut down the machine and re-seated the RAM. Restarted it to see 6GB, worked fine for a few hours, then a kernel panic. I restarted, and it said I had 2GB again.

Tech Tool Deluxe keeps saying everything is fine, but I went ahead and ordered 4GB to replace this stuff with. Hopefully the existing stuff has a lifetime warranty so I can get that replaced and have 10GB, but is there a chance something else could be wrong? I'm in the middle of trying to turn over 2 film trailers and I can't even edit HD video anymore.

I've used Tech Tool Deluxe when I was a computer technician, and sometimes it just didn't catch bad ram. Most programs have a had time picking it up unless it's really hosed up.

I can a copy of memtest that runs on OSX I could send you. Send me a PM.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

It's only $50 dude, what do you expect?

edit: Also, it looks like it's just a temporary issue with their server that popped up yesterday, so it'll probably we resolving itself soon.

edit2: Also, you're in the wrong thread. You want the Mac Software thread.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 28, 2011

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Since your MacPro has ECC ram, I'm starting to think it may be your mobo slots instead of the memory.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

japtor posted:

By old do you mean the 2010s? Cause I've seen them on there a lot for a while now, including the 27” with SSD...even better, they may have been 2011s. Just keep the iMac 27" refurb page open and check daily I guess.

http://refurb-tracker.com/

They have RSS and email alerts for stuff in the refurb store.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

It might just be hair or a bit of particulate under the glass. If you're feeling adventurous you can get a suction cup, tilt the glass out a bit and blow it with a hair drier and see if it comes flying out.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Go ghetto, use a bubble mailer.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Auriak posted:

I would much rather have the Launchpad key instead of a Dashboard one. Should I try to see if they will swap mine out for the new design?

Holy poo poo, we've hit a new low here.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SERIOUS posted:

Stupid question, but: what can they do? I mean, they can't exactly force the Genius Bar to work on my computer IMMEDIATELY, can they?

Of course they can.

If someone from corporate comes calling the store, you think they're going to tell them "but it's back-to-school season"?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

illcendiary posted:

What's the difference between this:

http://amzn.to/qXYOTb

and this:

http://amzn.to/n7eaa5

One's available immediately, and one doesn't ship for 2 to 5 weeks. I'm guessing the only difference is the new icons for Launchpad and Mission Control?

The first link you posted tells you why. The first one is the older keyboard model, the second one is the newer keyboard released last year I believe. The keycaps are the same, neither of them have Launchpad or Mission Control buttons yet.

As for the main difference between the two?

Apple posted:

One less battery. All the difference: The Apple Wireless Keyboard now requires just two AA batteries, one less than the previous model.

That's really the only difference between the two.

n/m, looks like they're both the 2 AA models. The new one has to have the Launchpad/Mission Control buttons even though the image is the older stock image.

KidDynamite posted:

Is there any reason this thing is using swap at all? I have 8gigs of ram.

It's 12 whole megs.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 8, 2011

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jeratain posted:

I have a 2011 iMac 27 with the SSD + HDD combo, and it's got a clean OSX Lion install on it (it does not have one of the known HDD issues that needs replacing). Sometimes it will start making a very subtle clicking noise (not the hard drive) that sounds like a metronome or something similar. It will sporadically start and stop. This does not sound normal for a computer.

Any ideas what this might be?

Make sure this isn't your system.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MrEnigma posted:

SSD Bought, slimline 13 to 22 pin sata cable bought.

Now to find some suction cups. Any other tool I might need to rip this thing apart?

(Thanks for all the advice/help in here so far)

Edit: I somehow lost my torn screwdriver as well...weak

I used the GPS mount for my car to pop open the glass.

Residency Evil posted:

I just went to put an MRI read into my MBA and lol.

I don't understand any of this gibberish.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SourKraut posted:

Also, I wasn't sure whether to ask this in this thread or the SSD thread, but going to ask it here: anyone using one of the Western Digital SiliconEdge Blue 256GB SSDs in their Macs? If/when Newegg or another site ever brings it back for $199, I was wondering whether it'd be a good general-use drive.

I've had the 64gb version in both a 2007 Macbook and 2010 Macbook Pro and its been nothing but a great drive. I don't know particulars on speed, and but i've had zero stuttering or other issues that seem to plague other drives.

It's definitely a solid recommendation.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

snoozeallday posted:

gah, $350, for some reason i thought it was 2xxsomething.

Do they have student discounts for this stuff? lol.

Looks like $110 off with Education discount.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SourKraut posted:

You know you want to... (especially since black MacBooks in that condition will only become more and more rare).

It's an investment! :v:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

This is a longshot but does anyone want to trade a 2011 iMac for a 2011 13" MBP? It's like mint and stuff.

Then I'll sell my base model 2010 11" Air and buy a 2011 11" Air.

Wait, do you have the iMac or the MBP?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Putting it on top of rice also helps absorb any liquids.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Oh yeah, California is about to be added to that list so my love affair with Amazon will be over :(

Amazon reached an agreement with CA to not charge tax for at least a year.

Also, since they killed off their affiliates in the state they aren't required to collect tax at all.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

yoyomama posted:

I'm looking for a little advice on buying a used Mac laptop. I plan on replacing/retiring my 2006 Blackbook, but I don't have much money to do so--not enough for a new or refurbished 2011 MBP or an Air (which would be ideal). My plan is to buy an older used 13 MBP and put in a SSD for the speedboost. What would be the best model to try to buy that would last at least the next 2-3 years or so? I don't mind using a Core 2 Duo machine if it means I can get it fairly inexpensively. I don't want to spend more than $700-800, pref $500-600. Also, is ebay the best place to look, or are there other options I'm unaware of? Tia.

Why not SA-Mart? There's always some cheap, good looking laptops for sale in there.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Right before reading his post I ran across this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XCX7WA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A1TP2RCKS1Y35B

:10bux: more gets you the real thing
http://amzn.com/9948444183

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

flyboi posted:

Anywhere I can get a replacement switch-blade end for the charger? I seem to have lost that connector :(

They're called "duck heads", there's a bunch of 3rd party ones on Amazon.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Apple phone support is actually pretty good. Call them up, explain the situation you are in and tell them you will accept no less than a replacement at this point.

Also, Tim Cook is actually answering emails, give him a shot. tcook@apple.com

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Choadmaster posted:

There might be another problem now; I just talked to him again and he told me that when they refused to replace it, he told them that California's Lemon Law (which covers any product sold with a warranty, not just vehicles) requires that they replace it at this point (near as I can tell, this is probably correct... if he were willing to sue them over it).

Apparently as soon as he mentioned the law, the store manager told him they were unable to continue attempting to repair his computer, and that he needed to leave the store and contact their legal department.

That would have been nice to know earlier. I don't know if this is now documented in their records for his case or not, but it might prove a stumbling block if we attempt to contact AppleCare by phone. I guess we'll take a shot at it anyway... And Tim Cook is worth a try, too.

That's ... very odd. I used to work in a PC repair shop for an electronics retailer, and replaced computers under the 3-and-done California Lemon law every other week or so. Basically, you get 3 repairs for the same failure, and upon the fourth failure, if verified, the machine is considered a lemon and no further repairs should be attempted. It was either replaced or cashed out for equivalent value of a replacement at the store's desecration. It was not a "legal" matter, it was an issue of about 30 minutes of paperwork and a manager's signature.

It's obviously not the same situation, but for them to refer you to legal over something that should be a pretty simple matter is disturbing. Legal would only be necessary if you are taking them to small claims for not honoring California's electronics replacement law.

Don't be afraid to contact Apple, they should be willing to help you. And if the manager has admitted that it needs a replacement but brushed you off to corporate legal then you should have more evidence in your favor for replacement.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

How to properly wrap the MagSafe adapter was one of the first things I showed my girlfriend when I gave her a MacBook Pro yesterday.

It's amazing how many Apple customers I helped that had no idea that the adapter even had those hooks.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Personally I would never buy a plastic piece of poo poo computer ever again.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

We may have lost a charger for our 2009 MBPs—where'd be a smart/safe place to get one for less than eighty bucks at the Apple Store? I don't especially care if it's toothbrush-style or w/e.

I also need just the three-prong extension for my AirPort Express, but I found some on Amazon that seem legit (and cheap).

You're not really gonna find anything cheaper. The magsafe connector it a patented connector and Apple's not allowing anyone else to make it, meaning you're either get a shoddy chinese knock-off or get one that someone has cut the cord and re-spliced into a new connector.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

Just a quick cheer for Apple warranty service....

Took my 27" 2009 iMac in last night at about 730, the screen had some odd dark spots on it. They did some of the standard stuff, even though it made no sense, like resetting the PRAM, but eventually it got checked in for service to have the panel replaced.

They left me a voicemail this morning at 9AM saying it was done. They had the machine about 14 hours. $604 repair, covered under Applecare.

Completely amazing.

Was it in the upper right side of the screen by chance?

My 2009 iMac has a bad dvd drive and dust under the screen. I missed the Applecare purchase window too :(

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 11, 2012

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

Just a heads-up, from what I have heard, Micro Centers are going to start selling the current low-end 13" Macbook Pro(normally $1199) for $899 tomorrow. In-store only.

Not quite. They have a 13" Macbook Pro for $999 now.

They also have a special buy on the 13" Macbook Air previous gen (C2D, 256GB) for $899 now. New, non-refub models.

Also, all the iPads are $50 off.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

WD just announced their Thunderbolt MyBook Duo... with no pricing or release information.

In what way is that an announcement?! :argh:

Looks like it's just an announcement of a demo at Macworld

BOOURNS!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Why does AppleCare cost different amounts at different places? Is the retailer eating the difference?

Here it's $122

and

Here it's $244

They're cutting a special deal on Applecare if you buy the computer there as well.

Sold seperately, it's also $244. The rest of the Mac line has discounted Applecare with purchase as well.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Dbeatles34 posted:

$95 for Applecare on a new MBA is too good to pass up and I'd be all about it if it would let me place an order with a Florida billing address :(

Anybody know why certain states are restricted from this deal? Are any other retailers offering heavily discounted Applecare? Also, if I were to purchase a MBA today from Amazon, could I just go to an Apple store anytime up to a year from now and get the student discounted Applecare ($183) on it?

Actually Apple doesn't sell Applecare to Florida at all, due to their heavy regulations on extended warranties. Apple has to pay a fee and disclose certain business aspects to be able to sell and they don't want to do it. I believe you can buy it in a boxed version in Florida though.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Dbeatles34 posted:

$95 for Applecare on a new MBA is too good to pass up and I'd be all about it if it would let me place an order with a Florida billing address :(

Anybody know why certain states are restricted from this deal? Are any other retailers offering heavily discounted Applecare? Also, if I were to purchase a MBA today from Amazon, could I just go to an Apple store anytime up to a year from now and get the student discounted Applecare ($183) on it?

Actually Apple doesn't sell Applecare to Florida at all, due to their heavy regulations on extended warranties. From their T&Cs:

Apple posted:

This Plan is offered and valid only in the 50 United States, the District of Columbia, Canada, Brazil, and Mexico. This Plan is not valid in any other country or U.S. territory.

This Plan is not available for Florida consumers or where prohibited by law.

Apple has to pay a fee and disclose certain business aspects to be able to sell and they don't want to do it. I believe you can buy it in a boxed version in Florida though.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Why would they force everyone in a compromised machine? You either get very thin and very light (8GB, dual-core, SSD) or you get powerful (16GB, HDD+SSD, quad-core) but still reletively thin and light.

I think he means in name only.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Okay, at least when HP copied the MacBook Pro they put ugly red lines on it. But what the gently caress is this poo poo with their new all-in-one. Look at the keyboard and mouse!

Sweet jesus this thing is terrible.

It's obviously not a ripoff because the guts are in the stand, not in the monitor! Plus it has an external power brick! :v:

Also, that means it's not wall-mountable :buddy:

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 10, 2012

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

echobucket posted:

my 2009 iMac has a core i5. :colbert:

Edit: And actually I had been thinking of selling it. Although I imagine shipping it across the country to another goon would make me nervous for it. :ohdear:

It's me, I'm the sucker that bought the c2d iMac. To be fair, I went into the store with full intentions of just buying the 21" but I fell in love.

Is there any way to update the CPU in that one?

Edit: ugh, it's a lovely 775, n/m

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 13, 2013

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I just replaced the stock drive in a Late 2009 27" iMac with a 240gb SanDisk Extreme and WD Red 3tb in a DIY Fusion array and this thing is screaming. It's quiet as a mouse and everything opens up on once bounce now.

Makes getting the C2D model sting a little less :(

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Having the motherboard headers for USB and FireWire pinned the same on PC boards was the stupidest idea ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Oh, maybe it's changed since my late 2008 unibody then :ohdear:

He's got an iMac, not a mbp.