Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Upping your Air to 4 gb is just something you should do. You can't upgrade it later unless you're really skilled with soldering and desoldering and don't mind a completely ruined warranty, and it does help, especially if you plan to keep it for a few years.

I'm not sure but doesn't the graphics used for the new airs also use some system ram for graphics? That's something to consider if you're thinking of getting your air with 2gb of ram.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Binary Badger posted:

Since some unknown crippling condition prevents you from visiting the specs page, it's 256-384 MB on the low end model MBA and 384 MB shared memory on the high-end.

I'm on my phone and Apple's site was loading extremely slow. That's more RAM than I expected it to use though, so sticking with 2 gb looks like an even worse idea.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bob Morales posted:

2GB is fine, there are millions of C2D Macbooks out there. Are you programming or running VM's or other stuff that needs 4GB? If so, you probably didn't buy an 11" Air.

There are millions of those out there but would you buy one now? Not to mention that with a regular Macbook or Macbook Pro, if low ram becomes a problem you just put more in. It's nearly impossible to upgrade the RAM in an Air.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

El Jackalope posted:

Would the low end mini serve fine as an HTPC as long as I upgrade the RAM? I'm not interested in gaming so I don't know if I want to spend the extra money on a graphics card unless it would help play high def content via XBMC any better.

Atom systems with Nividia ION gpus that don't perform better than what's in the new Mini handle almost all HTPC tasks just fine, the Mini should fly for HTPC tasks as long as you have enough RAM in.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
A 2 GB RAM Macbook Air actually has between 1.62 and 1.75 GB of RAM for your use after the onboard graphics takes shared memory. Do you really want to buy a new computer and have less than 2 GB of RAM actually available for the system?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

amf5 posted:

I'm kinda in the same boat, after getting an iPad I barely use my 15" mid-2008 MBP anymore. I'm thinking about doing the opposite of what everyone else seems to be doing though and selling the MBP and iPad and getting a maxed out 11" MBA to replace the combo, although I have a feeling I'm going to be disappointed with the screen res on the 11". With the 13" similarly maxed out being only $50 more I can't make up my goddamn mind :stare:

An 11 inch air takes up less space and weight than an iPad + a keyboard and stand thing. And the 13 inch is barely bigger overall. Just something to consider.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

amf5 posted:

Yeah I know, that was my original reasoning behind possibly selling both since a MBA at either size would probably be more capable and have better battery life than both at this point since the iPad has like 65% of the original capacity and at best lasts maybe 6 hours, and the MBP never really got better than 4 hours even though it has a retardedly low cycle count for how old it is. You're not making this any easier fishmech :ughh:

The Air is AWESOME. The 13 inch Air is like double awesome and barely bigger all around, tho the bigger screen definitely is nice.

The 13 inch Air also lasts like 7 or so hours on battery while the 11 inch does 5 or so.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Binary Badger posted:

I can get almost 6 hours on my 11.6" MBA 2010 on lowered brightness and no wifi.

Yeah but who really goes with no wifi? You get 5 hours easily with the wifi on, it's great.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ganon posted:

The Amazon Cloud gives you 20GB for $20/yr.

Actually once you have the 20 gb, you have unlimited storage for MP3 and AAC/M4A files on the service!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

lemmiwinks posted:

I can't see anything relating to HiDPI in the preferences?

According to ars technica, you have to do it in the same place you change resolution.

720x450 is of course quarter-1440x900 so is the HIDPI to match, etc.

For 1080p it would be 960x540, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mu Zeta posted:

I know that on the Macbook Air that Apple advertises a 30-day standby time in sleep mode and instant wake. Will this also happen if I put in my own SSD in a Macbook Pro?

The 30 day standby time is because it will do hybrid sleep with the RAM dumped to disk after a certain time. If I leave my Macbook Air "asleep" for a few days at a time, which often happens since I don't need it every day, it will take a minute or so to actually wake up versus seconds if it's sleeping for a few hours. Happens both in OS X and Bootcamped Windows 7.