Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.gaki-no-tsukai.com/index.php

Really good website where you can find info on every thing Gaki. Gaki Files is always a great website and I'm pretty sure the guy who runs Gaki Files posts on the website I linked above.

Million Kazoku is another great show that is actually hosted by Endo and Tanaka from Gaki no Tsukai. They have a ton of comedians and well known figures from Japanese culture hide in the location of choice that week and other comedians attempt to find them. If they get caught they get put through a punishment. If they win they get prize money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Now that we are well into November we should start hearing some information about the new Gaki game for this year. I believe them normally film in November or December so there should be some information released about the theme for this year.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
For those of you who don't read the Gaki forums or frequently visit the Gakifiles blog there is finally some news on the Batsu game for this year. There will indeed by a batsu game this year and it will be:

No Laughing Airport

quote:

Daily Sport Nov 18 Fri 7:32AM
Nihon TV・Yomiuri’s popular variety show “Downtown No Gaki No Tsukai Ya Arahende!!” special project “Waratte Wa Ikenai” series will be broadcasted
on new year’s eve for 6 years in a row, it’s been known on the 17th. Situation for this year is “Zettai Ni Waratte Wa Ikenai Airport 24 hours!”. Members will be in roles of newbie cabin attendants. From 6:30 PM to 12:30AM, their 6 hours long new year’s eve broadcast will give the whole nation laughter.
“Waratte Wa Ikenai” series will have been coloring new year’s eve for 6 years in a row. Having experienced to be police, journalists, spies and so on in the past, the five members of Downtown, Yamasaki Hosei(43) and Cocorico will transform themselves into cabin attendants on the stage of “Airport”.this time.
The setting is that the 5 will be newbie cabin attendants at “Gasu Kurobikari Airline System (GAS)” , challenging “Owarai traps” scattered around the check-in counter, security check or training center.
The shooting was held under full cooperation with Ibaraki Airport (Ibaraki Prefecture, Omitama city). The airport opened on Mar 11th last year, which is the very same day that the Great East Japan Earthquake hit this year. The staff related to the project started shooting with their wish for owarai to provide psychological support to victims. Over 400 staffs were called out and approx 200 CCD cameras were used.
Conducted with the phrase “○○ out ~” , the painful punishment to a member who laughed is still alive. Matsumoto Hitoshi(48), who has gotten the most punishments for 4 years in a row until last year, recalls the tremendous 24 hours, saying “It was hard enough again this year.”

Above is an English translation of the original Yahoo JP article that broke the news.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Taratang posted:

Here's hoping someone translates it not long after it airs. Didn't Shibatabread say he wasn't going to do it this time?

Well he isn't the only one who subs him. The Gaki American fan forum puts a team together. Shibata was normally the one to put finishing touches on them and release them on a weekly basis. The Spy one came out a lot quicker than the other ones, only took them a few months to get the entire thing out in HD with subs. Shibata will probably still help out with the batsu game, if not it still shouldn't be that big of a deal. From what I've read on the forums they have a handful of new subbers this year plus the mainstays of that forum.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

WonderfulWino posted:

I been expecting the announcement of this years batsu. Can't wait.

Yeah, they filmed it earlier than previous years. I'm guessing because they had to base the schedule around when the airport said they could. The announcement came a lot earlier than it did last year. I believe we didn't hear anything till December last year. Either way this should be really good, it always is but this setting is going to lend its self to a lot more things than the Spy setting.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The best thing to do is contact him on Twitter and let him know that you would like him to come back to sub. He announced that he was leaving, in my opinion, mostly do to the overwhelming demand that he start subbing episodes from the regular Gaki show. He said that he would never sub another Gaki video because he wanted to branch out and show other parts of Japanese comedy/culture but yet he just recently subbed a Gaki segment. I honestly do believe that he will end up subbing in some capacity because if it wasn't for his work on the Gaki stuff I doubt he would have such a following.

Anyone who follows that board/the foreign Gaki fan base in general knows that the people are impatient and get quite up in arms if subs aren't being given in a timely matter. Somethings tells me that he is going to start getting poo poo from his "followers" if he doesn't help with the subs so I suspect he will be back. I've tried contacting him on Twitter to ask if he was going to help with the subs this year but he has never replied back to me. His wife also helps out with the subs and does a lot if not half of the work so contacting her on Twitter may get a response as well.

I do think Shibata does the most high quality work but people like Zurui of Gaki Files and some of the other mainstays should make sure that the quality is up to par. Zurui does really good work in my opinion and I know there are a few others who are responsible for some of the other Batsu subs that aren't to bad.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The Spy subs came out a lot quicker than any other have so far. I remember the Hotel man subs took what seemed like six months or more. The fan base has grown larger since then though so there are a lot more people working on subs. I know that one person on the forums, at one point in time, said that if it comes down to it he will take donations in order to pay a professional translator to sub the entire thing. Honestly, I'm not to worried about it. There are a lot of people on there who are absolutely insane about Gaki and will go to extreme lengths to get it subbed.

There is another Japanese fan site that hosts torrents that subs quite a bit as well. Don't worry about having trouble with the site, it's confusing as gently caress and disorganized. They have a sub forum for each thing. Honestly, Gaki Files posts the best stuff anyway so you won't be missing much by not reading all of the forums.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shlapintogan posted:

I kind of wish that our Game Center CX group would also work on Gaki, but they already do such a great job on GCCX that I wouldn't want to overextend them.

Also, subtitling a six hour long special has got to be some serious work, what with timing and localization and all. As long as we eventually get to see it, I suppose, and it isn't a trainwreck like that Iron Chef video Dog Toggle Switch posted earlier (seriously, those subtitles, what the gently caress) then I'll be fine with that.

I would imagine that it does indeed take quite a lot of work. The older batsu games didn't even get subbed until recently. We went for the longest time without complete subs for the two onsen games. It wasn't until around Newspaper man that they put a team together to sub the thing in a couple of months. Before it was mostly Shibata subbing them at his own speed. The police station one took like six months to come out.

toomanyninjas posted:

The thing I liked best about Shibata's subs, aside from the color distinctions, was the blog posts that accompanied each new installment. They always clarified the cultural background of the jokes -- like the 80s singers that appeared in Hotel. It's a shame everyone pestered the hell out of him for taking a while on Spy. Doesn't he live in Japan and had to contend with the earthquake aftermath?

Yeah, Shibata and his wife have always emphasized to the viewers that while Gaki is a big part of Japanese pop culture it certainly doesn't represent Japan as a whole and in fact is quite opposite of what traditional Japanese culture is. Shibata loves to put in little notes about certain characters to make sure people get the references because not all of Japanese humor is going to translate to America. Honestly you don't even really get into Gaki and the batsu games until you've watch quite a bit of their work, the Japanese comedy style is so different from the sarcasm you mostly see in America that it takes a bit to get used to.

Overall it might just be wishful thinking when I say that I think he will come back. I hope he does but in all honesty he probably won't be. I know that after doing the Hotel and Spy batsu two years in a row, he is probably pretty burnt out and I also think he wants to take that time and dedicate it towards his podcast and blog. Hopefully we will still be in good hands with the rest of the team.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
For those of you who don't follow the Gakifiles blog, Zurui has announced the entire subbing team for this years Batsu game and it looks like he is going to be heading it up this year. Here is the post:

quote:

Airport Batsu Game Subbing Team
I would like to introduce the subbing team for the up and coming Airport batsu game.

Most of you already know eChie. She has contributed tons of translations since she started subbing Gaki material. Since she is a native Japanese speaker, she will be focusing on helping me with the bulk of the translations. (check out her blog for interesting stuff about Japan)

SSSI has been subbing Gaki for awhile now and you can see his work on this blog, just check out the Kiki category. While he is a very capable translator, he will be focusing on timing and typesetting.

Chidegi has been helping us with our larger projects such as the Ashita ga Arusa drama and the Matsumoto Professional documentary. He will be our main timer.

A new addition to our team is Vanilla, she helped me on the Saya Zamurai movie, although she doesn't have a lot of experience subbing, she is a native Japanese speaker and will be helping us with spot translations.

Although I believe that we have enough people working on this project for it to run smoothly, we may need additional help. If so, I know Dith will gladly volunteer his services. You can see his work on our contributors page.

I hope that this year will be as funny as last year and would like to thank everyone for the continued support of this blog and our work.

I have created a progress page for posting updates and information. Please post your questions and comments on this new page.

http://gakifiles.blogspot.com/p/2012-airport-batsu-game-subtitle.html

The above page is going to be updated with the progress on the subbing of the series. They are planning to release it an hour at a time and at the end they will release the full subs. Zurui is also always looking for help with the batsu game and it takes a lot of time and work to get this thing going so if any of you are able to help with subs or know someone who would be willing to help please contact Zurui on the blog.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gackt posted:

They're actually releasing the Hamada figure from last year. Awfully expensive though.

Holy gently caress would I buy this if I could warrant spending $200 on something like that.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Did anyone watch the batsu live? I believe it is still going on but I always like to avoid watching it until I can get the entire thing subbed.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Now the worst part of the year comes where we have to wait for the batsu to be subbed :( They work incredibly fast but drat if it still isn't quick enough for me :colbert:

I really do feel for the subbers, I used to keep up with the forums more and every other post is "Hey I'm new here and I don't want to sound pushy but are the subs out yet?" That has to get old after awhile.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Crotch Bat posted:

I think most people think subbing is just a program where 1 guy listens to it then just types it in and it magically appears perfectly timed. I've done a little work with subbing and it can take just forever. For 30-60 minute show, sure, you can set aside a day or two and really plow through it if you get in the groove but a 6 hour show in your spare time with all that goes on during a typical batsu game? That's a loving ton of super tedious work, especially when you need to make things match up with what's going on visually.

Yep, take all that and then on top of it all color everything to make it visually pleasing and you have a lot of work ahead of your self. Most of the people who bug the hell out of them are just people who heard about the show and aren't actually members of the community. There is always a surge of new people showing up on the boards around this time of year.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shlapintogan posted:

I'm just waiting to see if they got Masahiro Chono to slap Yamasaki again. He always gets so over-the-top upset about it (then again, getting slapped by a professional wrestler would be something to get over-the-top upset about). I think it was in No Laughing Hotel where they had Chono performing magic tricks and through some convoluted chain of events, Yamasaki has to take the fall because Chono's cards went missing and I ended up nearly choking to death on my drink.

Y'know what bugs me, though? When they find buttons or DVDs in their desks and they don't go through all of them. I'm still wondering what the other two or three buttons they found in No Laughing Hotel did.

There is a lot of stuff that gets cut out in the broadcasting of the games. You gotta remember, they have 24 hours and probably more of footage so if a prank doesn't get a really funny reaction they will probably cut it out considering they have to get the show down to about 6 hours or so. I would imagine that some of the button stuff doesn't quite get them so they leave it out.

Also yeah he does ham it up. While the games are 100% real to my knowledge and they don't know whats happening going in they still are also comedians and know when a certain situation needs to be exaggerated to get that extra effect. I think that is why so many people love the bits of them just sitting around and talking because it seems so real compared to some of the more over the top stunts they work into the program.

My favorite part from any batsu though has to be in hospital where the guy kept coming back with cups of pee. Watching him spill it all over the place while trying to hand it to them was loving hilarious.

Gordong Dongbay fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 3, 2012

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

abraxas posted:

There's loads of great stuff in every Batsu but I have to say my favorite part, by far, are always the desk drawers. They never fail to make me laugh, even if they have absolutely nothing in them. Apart from the obvious stuff like Matsumotos drawer blowing up in the Newspaper Batsu and the Hamada doll, I love it when they pull one open, fully expecting something awful to happen and all that happens is a single pen rolls out like it's nothing. Cracks me up like crazy!

This always gets me to. Knowing that they constantly expect the worst and then open the desk to see it filled with woman's underwear is hilarious.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The first 30 minutes of Airport is already subbed. They really are working at an amazing pace so far. I'm refraining from watching them because I want to wait for the whole thing, is the quality on par with Shibata?

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Crotch Bat posted:

Just got done with the first 30 and I'm in stitches. Basically once they set foot on the bus it's amazing(and some before due to Fujiwara's usual problems). If the next 5.5 hours are anything like the start it might be the best one they've done since Newspaper.

That is good to hear. A lot of people were on the Gaki English fan site saying this one was one of the worst they had done. Of course it's hard to take their opinion as anything worth while because the majority of them want nothing but obscure Japanese stuff so they feel like they are special.

Really glad to hear that the subbing is up to par. I had faith that the new team would pick up the slack but if it's Shibata quality then that's even better.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

abraxas posted:

The ending to Big Man Japan made no sense to me whatsoever and the ending of Symbol is kind of open to interpretation I'd say, so don't expect cinematic masterpieces or anything. Still, definitely a recommended watch for all Matsumoto fans!

The ending to that movie was a call back to Ultraman, which I believe Matsumoto is a big fan of, he mentions Ultraman a lot in the batsu games.

Penn and Teller have admitted to having a very similar relationship. Penn said that off stage they have nothing to do with each other. They see so much of each other in work situations that they just don't want to spend their personal time together which would make a lot of sense. At that point they aren't just a friend, they are family and when you are living with someone or around someone that much you normally need a break from them at some point.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
How close are they to having the entire thing subbed?

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone have any idea how many parts we have left to go before the entire Airport batsu is subbed?

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SYFY HYPHY posted:

It's loving ridiculous and childish. It's let go with so many other people/shows with a simple apology. It kills any international appeal when they have their meltdowns about it.

I wish I could find the interview but all of them have pretty much stated that they have no interest in it getting international appeal. Someone told them about the large following their clips have in America and they said it was cool but they aren't going to change the dynamic or skits they do just to fit another countries idea of comedy.

For me, the things that most people don't get about Japanese comedy is what makes it so funny for me. I like that it's almost 100% different from what comedy is in America and that's what makes it fun to watch.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's almost that time of year for the annual batsu game. News for it normally comes out in November/December so we are probably a month or so away from hearing what the theme is going to be for this year. Anyone have any predictions or hopes for this years game?

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FireCar posted:

Any ideas on what the 24 hour no-laughing endurance game is that Gaki's doing this year?

It's going to be No Laughing Monastery. Here is the preview picture they released:

If you do some digging you can find an interview or press release about it I'm sure. Hopefully the sub team that worked on Spy is going to be working on this year's game because they got it fully subbed fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Crotch Bat posted:

It is not a monastery theme, actually. The theme will be teachers, more specifically "passionate/enthusiastic" teachers. The confusion came from the picture of the bus but apparently he's being portrayed as merely the founder of the school.

That's a much better theme, honestly.

Yeah, this should be better overall. Although I was hoping for a monastery theme so we could once again get a Priest Parakeet joke.