Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExplodingSquidx2
Oct 20, 2010

That's a DAMN fine cup of coffee.

The Amazing Spider-Man is an upcoming American superhero film based on the comic book of the same name that is currently in post production. It is the fourth Columbia Pictures film based on the Marvel Comics character Spider-Man and the first film in a rebooted Spider-Man film franchise. Originally, Spider-Man 4 was planned for release in 2011; however, in 2010 the film was cancelled due to Sam Raimi's withdrawal from the project, as he felt he could not meet the planned release date without sacrificing artistic integrity.[2] Sony announced that the franchise will in turn be rebooted with new director Marc Webb and a new cast that includes Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker, Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy and Rhys Ifans as Dr. Curt Connors. The reboot's intention is to portray Peter Parker developing his super powers in high school. It is scheduled to be released in 3D on July 3, 2012.

The trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XayxMPrUP4

Looks much better, here's hope they don't gently caress it up like the last lot.

Cast
Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker / Spider-Man
Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy
Rhys Ifans as Dr. Curt Connors / The Lizard
Martin Sheen as Ben Parker
Sally Field as May Parker
Denis Leary as Captain George Stacy
Chris Zylka as Eugene "Flash" Thompson
Irrfan Khan as Van Adder

Spider-Man should have mechanical webshooters. Yes/no?

YES
-he has them in the comics
-organics are gross
-it should come out of his butt if organic
-easier to make him run out of webbing
-demonstrates his intelligence
-makes Peter Parker the one true Spider-Man
-how does he produce all that webbing in his body?
-he can tweak the formula
-organic webs would be all over the city --his formula biodegrades after about an hour
-why would he need to do the familiar devil horns gesture if not to press a trigger?
-most, if not all, spiders don't "shoot" their webbing, only creating drag-lines
-none of the other powers manifest themselves realistically, why start with this one?
-can't sell webbing because it would compromise his identity, make him less effective if others counteract it, or the formula is "broken" enough that nobody wants it

NO
-creates/strengthens puberty metaphor
-he should have all the powers of a spider
-"does he seriously carry these things around all the time and have to put them on?"
-allows anyone to imagine themselves as Spider-Man
-inventing and continually producing this stuff would be insanely expensive
-streamlines the origin: "how many montages are we gonna have in this movie?
-he's this much of a super-genius?
-related to above: he's this much of a genius but he can't figure out a way to make more money
-why doesn't he sell it?
--who wouldn't want a biodegradeable superadhesive. Hello police/fire departments? Medics, etc.
-he's not going to be tweaking his formula like this is a weekly series and "sand webbing" or some poo poo will be the crux of a $200-million movie final battle
-he creates all those different types of webbing and patterns by pressing a single button?
-more believable that he doesn't get stuck to his own webs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wemtXS4Zx9o
Spider-Man at Comicon.

Update: New poster.

Latest Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7nWNkAIT34

The costume for ASM2 was just leaked via facebook. (Thank you ThermoPhysical)

ExplodingSquidx2 fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

I'm not all that excited about another rehash of the origin story, if that's what this is. I mean I'll go watch it and all but I'm hoping the whole origin thing will be minimal.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
I'm seconding the feeling toward another origin story.

I'm also not enjoying the dark/angst filled tone in the trailer. I'd prefer this not just be, "Batman Begins, but with Spider-man!", but I wouldn't be shocked if that's what it is.

Useless Rabbit
Jan 27, 2009

I think everything comic book related is going into this thread.

ExplodingSquidx2
Oct 20, 2010

I refused to see the first Spider-Man movie because I hated what they did with Green Goblin. The second one was okish and the 3rd was loving bad. So now that it's been rebooted im hoping they cut out the lovely dance scenes, stop making everyone cry every 2 seconds and concentrate on Spidey doing his thing.

Comic book thread... Should I close this one down?

ExplodingSquidx2 fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 21, 2011

Bozz
Jan 26, 2002

ExplodingSquidx2 posted:

I refused to see the first Spider-Man movie because I hated what they did with Green Goblin. The second one was okish and the 3rd was loving bad. So now that it's been rebooted im hoping they cut out the lovely dance scenes, stop making every cry every 2 seconds and concentrate on Spidey doing his thing.

Haha. You mean because they took him out of the Halloween costume and made it the weapon suit? Actually I agree it would have been cool, and freakier, having him wear the costume. Still, the suit worked fine. Kind of a nitpicky thing not to see a movie about, no?

Harry's Green Goblin costume was arguably worse than the Green Goblin in part 1. At least you found the second one okish.

"stop making every cry every 2 seconds"

What does this mean?

Bozz fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jul 21, 2011

ExplodingSquidx2
Oct 20, 2010

Bozz posted:

Haha. You mean because they took him out of the Halloween costume and made it the weapon suit? Actually I agree it would have been cool, and freakier, having him wear the costume. Still, the suit worked fine. Kind of a nitpicky thing not to see a movie about, no?

Harry's Green Goblin costume was arguably worse than the Green Goblin in part 1. At least you found the second one okish.

"stop making every cry every 2 seconds"

What does this mean?

Spider-Man 3. Everyone cried.
Peter cried.
Jonah cried.
Sandman cried.
Venom cried for god sake.

It was too much for me, haha.

The old halloween costume had it's charms for me, gave the character more life then a robot suit.

Judging from the trailer how he gets bitten was much cooler, I like how he made the web slinger himself instead of it being a "side effect" of the spider bite.

I'm it's just a lot more brutal in the way of enemies/fights.

Edit:

VS

ExplodingSquidx2 fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jul 21, 2011

Bozz
Jan 26, 2002

What sold me on the suit was the scene (you can probably find it on youtube) where Green Goblin flies up, taunting "can Spider-Man come out to play?" A very detailed, masterfully illustrated panel like that of course is going to look better than a still from the movie.

Bruce Wayne had Lucius Fox and his companies' military prototypes as the basis for his suit and tech. Raimi did a similar thing to ground the Green Goblin's tech. I think the organic shooters were a change that worked, too. I'm interested to see how they explain Spidey's elaborate costume, and the amazing tech of the webshooters, in this grittier (than Raimi's films) take.

Spider-Man 3 is tough to defend. I said it in the other thread, but the trailer for AMS made it look like an anti-depressant commercial. I don't think they're getting away from those type of emotions, like crying, in AMS.

ExplodingSquidx2
Oct 20, 2010

Bozz posted:

What sold me on the suit was the scene (you can probably find it on youtube) where Green Goblin flies up, taunting "can Spider-Man come out to play?" A very detailed, masterfully illustrated panel like that of course is going to look better than a still from the movie.

Bruce Wayne had Lucius Fox and his companies' military prototypes as the basis for his suit and tech. Raimi did a similar thing to ground the Green Goblin's tech. I think the organic shooters were a change that worked, too. I'm interested to see how they explain Spidey's elaborate costume, and the amazing tech of the webshooters, in this grittier (than Raimi's films) take.

Spider-Man 3 is tough to defend. I said it in the other thread, but the trailer for AMS made it look like an anti-depressant commercial. I don't think they're getting away from those type of emotions, like crying, in AMS.

I didn't mean no crying at all, just how over board SM3 was.

I should probably give a go to SM1 but it just seems like a waste of time. I'm stubborn. I'm hoping if they get that far into it that they make Venom brutal and Carnage even worse. Maximum Carnage would be a hell of a movie too.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ExplodingSquidx2 posted:

I refused to see the first Spider-Man movie because I hated what they did with Green Goblin. The second one was okish and the 3rd was loving bad. So now that it's been rebooted im hoping they cut out the lovely dance scenes, stop making everyone cry every 2 seconds and concentrate on Spidey doing his thing.

You should close it down, but mostly because you have really terrible opinions and are far from qualified enough to post threads on movies this big.

ExplodingSquidx2
Oct 20, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

You should close it down, but mostly because you have really terrible opinions and are far from qualified enough to post threads on movies this big.

This thread is about the new movie not the previous. My opinions are very much Comic vs Movie related. If I didn't know too much about Spidey I probably would of enjoyed the movies more.

In the original movies defense, The Doc Oct fight on the train was brilliant.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Just close the thread. There is better discussion happening in the other one anyways.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Bozz posted:

Spider-Man 3 is tough to defend.

No it's easy see: Spider-man 3 is hilarious and awesome.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Spider-Man 3 is easily better than Thor, Iron Man 2, Green Lantern, the list goes on.

ExplodingSquidx2
Oct 20, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

Spider-Man 3 is easily better than Thor, Iron Man 2, Green Lantern, the list goes on.

Spider-Man 3 better then Iron Man 2? Now you're just trolling.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ExplodingSquidx2 posted:

Spider-Man 3 better then Iron Man 2? Now you're just trolling.

They both suffer from having too many villians and characters and plotlines, none of which are very well handled, but Spider-Man 3 is far more entertaining than Iron Man 2.

ExplodingSquidx2
Oct 20, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

They both suffer from having too many villians and characters and plotlines, none of which are very well handled, but Spider-Man 3 is far more entertaining than Iron Man 2.

I enjoyed Iron Man 2 and didn't find it too cluttered. The Avengers movie will be interesting with the amount of characters in it.

Rocket Ace
Aug 11, 2006

R.I.P. Dave Stevens
I love the casting (Rhys Ifans is awesome, and Sally Fields? When was the last time SHE did a movie? Cool).

I'm gonna give this one a chance. Spiderman was my favorite super hero as a kid (that was, until I discovered the Rocketeer), but anyways...

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

I completely hate his hair, otherwise I'm OK. But did they really have to go back to mechanical web shooters? I think the organic worked so much better. Stan Lee even said it was a great idea and was jealous he didn't think of it originally.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I agree about the organic web shooters. They were mechanical in the sixties because all kinds of new polymers and materials were just coming into existence at the time, so genius kid inventing some advanced new fabric wasn't as outlandish as organic webbing. It helped ground the character's abilities somewhat. If they want that to work now though they'd have to have a few stages of it, like the first web shooters he makes could look like the toy web shooters that are basically silly string cartridges on a wrist-band you can buy at Toys 'R Us.

I like his hair just because it looks so much like his goofy hair in the early comics. I'm kind of surprised they went with it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I feel like no body watched the trailer and saw him pulling organic web out of the spider bite.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

PriorMarcus posted:

I feel like no body watched the trailer and saw him pulling organic web out of the spider bite.
In the picture in the OP you can clearly see the shooters on his wrist and the pad in his hand he presses to fire them.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Orgophlax posted:

In the picture in the OP you can clearly see the shooters on his wrist and the pad in his hand he presses to fire them.

He has web shooters, that doesn't mean he invents the webbing material, just what fires it.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
Organic shooters was a huge complaint when the first movie was out. Comic fans felt the mechanical shooters are a direct representation of Parker's intelligence. Raimi ended up barely touching on the school related stuff in his series so I don't think it mattered much. His Parker was just a very average joe...and so was his Mary Jane.

Now that I think about it, the only time I liked Raimi's Spider-Man was when he was suited up and doing things. His Peter Parker was terrible. I'm happy to see a reboot.

EDIT:

VVV - DrVenkMan, I really think the first fight between Harry and Parker in SM3 was fantastic. It was visceral and breakneck paced. I actually cringed when Harry got clotheslined off his glider, bashed his head on a pipe and crashed to the street below. It wasn't that Raimi wasn't into it..I think he just lost it when he had to bring so many characters and elements together.

ZombieParts fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 21, 2011

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The web shooters argument is such bullshit anyway, who gives a gently caress. Parker is smart, not a super scientist. Raimi's films clearly show Parker as being a smart kid. Doc Ock even calls him brilliant, he doesn't need to invent anything to prove it. Comic fans should never be allowed to dictate what a film does, because invariably all their decisions are horrible. The mess that was Spider-Man 3? Venom was shoehorned in because of "the fans", Gwen Stacy makes an appearance because of "the fans". Sony (And Avi Arad) kept putting demands on Raimi and his writers because it was "what the fans wanted".

I don't think Spidey 3 is better than Iron Man 2, but they do suffer from the same flaws. Even the action scenes are largely flat in S3. Raimi clearly wasn't into it at all, which is why it was surprising when he was willing to come back (With the provision that Sony didn't interfere...then they insisted the film be made in 3D and he walked).

Even the much hated dance scene proves a point, which is that going Emo is goofy. It's also a geek's idea of cool, not the film's. Parker struts around with his fancy hair wowing the ladies with his 'dance' moves. It's ridiculous fantasy, and there's s surprising number of people who miss the point of it.

The other thing of note is that it shows Bryce Dallas Howard would've been great. Her and Maguire only share a few scenes but they're chemistry is fantastic. Even Dunst is good in the first two, she just has the usual thankless task of the love interest.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 21, 2011

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
For the record, here's what Alex Ross had come up with for the original Green Goblin designs for the first Raimi flick:

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

ExplodingSquidx2 posted:

No, this is fine. It's only Batman threads you're not allowed.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Something about Spidey's suit seems off to me, also for whatever reason I thought they had cast Spider-Man as a black guy in this movie? At any rate, I'll probably see this eventually (my GF was actually looking for info about it the other day, I'll have to send her that trailer) but I'll miss ham-tastic Willem Dafoe and James "So Good" Franco.

E the Shaggy posted:

For the record, here's what Alex Ross had come up with for the original Green Goblin designs for the first Raimi flick:

That's actually pretty boss but I liked the mid-90s Power Rangers vibe of the actual suit too.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

scary ghost dog posted:

And who is qualified? You? Shut the gently caress up.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

E the Shaggy posted:

Yeah cool and all, but they wouldn't have been able to do all the stuff with Norman Osborne struggling to control his dual personalities, which were some of my favourite scenes in the first film.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

E the Shaggy posted:

Haha this would look so terrible in a film, I don't even know where to begin.

I really wish everyone would stop making GBS threads on the Raimi films. They were insanely popular when they were coming out, and it seems like there's this misplaced backlash against them for not being exactly the same as Nolan's Batman or something, I don't know. I read the Spidey comics when I was a kid too, and Raimi and Maguire totally nailed the tone and the essential aspects of the character (though, like others, I could've done with a bit more wisecracking). I am not the only one who felt this way when the films came out.

I think this new movie looks terrible. There is nothing in the trailer that looks fun or enjoyable or pleasing to watch. This looks like a retarded, unnecessary dark mirror version of Raimi's films. Of course, this is only a teaser trailer, so they get the benefit of the doubt for now, but the trailer leaves me quite skeptical.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Hahaha, holy poo poo. They're totally going to go with some kind of heroic/villainous angle for his parents.

fake edit: Actually, upon some brief wiki skimming, his parents are apparently agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Of course they are. Ugh.

Spider-Man, as a story, has existed for almost sixty years without ever really needing for him to get weepy about his parents. Is there any reason to make them part of this movie, other than to tie in with the Avengers and an upcoming Nick Fury movie? This is getting obnoxious.

Dauher
Jul 22, 2007
The man from not near.
well since Sony is making this, it will have nothing to do with SHIELD or Nick Fury or the Avengers..

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

Spider-Man, as a story, has existed for almost sixty years without ever really needing for him to get weepy about his parents. Is there any reason to make them part of this movie, other than to tie in with the Avengers and an upcoming Nick Fury movie? This is getting obnoxious.

It wont tie with the Avengers because its not a Marvel Studios movie. Peter's parents have been spies in the past, but the movie is probably going to connect their death to Peter's father science research, like in the Ultimate Spider-Man stuff.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Colonel Whitey posted:

I really wish everyone would stop making GBS threads on the Raimi films. They were insanely popular when they were coming out, and it seems like there's this misplaced backlash against them for not being exactly the same as Nolan's Batman or something, I don't know. I read the Spidey comics when I was a kid too, and Raimi and Maguire totally nailed the tone and the essential aspects of the character (though, like others, I could've done with a bit more wisecracking). I am not the only one who felt this way when the films came out.

I remember specifically not seeing the first one till it came out on DVD because everyone I spoke to in school said it was either just Ok or an outright dissapointment.

I dunno, maybe my school was just weird. My point is though while I'm sure plenty of people liked them its not as thought the people who didn't are part of some retroactive backlash brought about by Christopher Nolan.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 21, 2011

LinkShady
Oct 4, 2010
I just wanted to post that when I hear about the reboot and that we were having a high school musical protagonist or something I was really bitter about it.

After researching and seeing that Andrew Garfield is the guy from The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus I'm no longer bitter.

As for rebooting, I wonder if this going to be a fad and we are going to be a new origin story every 10 years.

SageSepth
May 10, 2004
Luck is probability given way to superstition

Colonel Whitey posted:

I really wish everyone would stop making GBS threads on the Raimi films. They were insanely popular when they were coming out, and it seems like there's this misplaced backlash against them for not being exactly the same as Nolan's Batman or something, I don't know.

Personally, it has nothing to do with Batman and everything to do with the amount of angsty BS and other nonsense. The first 2 films are fine, organic web shooters aside, but that third one is a train wreck in the worst way. For starters it's not even really about Spiderman, it seemed more about everyone else. Kirstin Dunst has 2 singing sequences, neither are any good, Toby Mcguire has 2 dancing sequences neither are any good. They gave Venom to that horrible hack of an actor, he's in no way capable of pulling off Eddie Brock, let alone using his size as a template for Venom. The whole point to Venom is he's bigger stronger and more brutal then Spiderman, not an insane clone of him. James Franco. The suit they were using for Green Goblin 2 looked like something from a Power Rangers episode, also for some reason he had a lightsaber. Some how, the guy who was cheating off of Pete in the first movie managed to improve on his insane dads formula's to make better Goblin gear, cause that makes sense. Dancing.

The only thing the movie did right, and I put this more Thomas Haden Church, is the Sandman, you could argue that in general the villains were good in all 3 movies and I would agree, save for Venom and Green Goblin 2099 or whatever that was. It's such a bad film, that a Billion dollar franchise got scrapped and rebooted with an entirely different everything, that's how bad Spiderman 3 is. It has nothing to do with gritty action stars or comic movies and everything to do with being a completely terrible movie. I am not one of those people who watches something "so bad it's good" that doesn't exist, there's good movies and there's bad movies and there's Spiderman 3.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Dauher posted:

well since Sony is making this, it will have nothing to do with SHIELD or Nick Fury or the Avengers..

Yannick_B posted:

It wont tie with the Avengers because its not a Marvel Studios movie. Peter's parents have been spies in the past, but the movie is probably going to connect their death to Peter's father science research, like in the Ultimate Spider-Man stuff.
Fair enough. In that case it's just more of the same old destiny/small world bullshit that plagues so much poo poo these days. To me, that's the "Anakin built C3PO guys!!!" of the Spider-Man universe. Why can't he just be a kid whose parents died.

NadaTooma
Aug 24, 2004

The good thing is that everyone around you has more critical failures in combat, the bad thing is - so do you!
Ever since Spiderman 3, I've wondered how it would have turned out had Raimi never been convinced to include Venom, especially since he never liked the character to begin with. A Sandman-only movie would have been fine at least without the retcon of him being Uncle Ben's killer, and maybe it wouldn't have been such a trainwreck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

Fair enough. In that case it's just more of the same old destiny/small world bullshit that plagues so much poo poo these days. To me, that's the "Anakin built C3PO guys!!!" of the Spider-Man universe. Why can't he just be a kid whose parents died.

Well, they still are. Its not "Anakin built C3P0" unless it becomes a good story choice. In Ultimate Spider-Man, Peter's father was a genius and one of his patents was the webfluid. He hadnt finished it but Peter was also pretty smart so he did.
When he does that, he feels this kinship to the memory of his dad and its sort of touching.

• Locked thread