Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Hooray, I made it well in time it seems :) Maugrem is ready and willing to crush you all with her superior hiding/jumping/stabbing skills!

Thanks again for doing this, Vox/Jazz/Munki. Can't wait for the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tag Plastic
Jun 10, 2006

Not organic.
I'm sending another ant to the slaughter. Now to spend her cash on looking flash I have no idea what build I am going to make...

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Shiniest fish in the sea!
Awesome, actually made it in this one! Though I have to think I wont get as lucky as I did with Drub in ZeeToo's tournament. By the way you don't get any points to spend on your fighter until the tournament has actually started right? Or did I just royally screw myself by registering before buying anything? It says I have 0 points to spend if that matters.

Never mind, actually read the Tech Support FAQ dealy.

Silverminnow fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jul 22, 2011

Klokwurk
Sep 18, 2010

I'm completely bloody shit at this!
Awesome! Time for my fighter to die horribly again.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!

Krysmphoenix posted:

The making of a Kobold...
Damnit, Krysm! What do you have against these little guys? Why must they struggle so, just to provethemselves worthy of getting killed even more brutally?

I have a hard time immagining the force behind these trials. Is it some aged and revered Kobold King, sending his best fighters out endlessly in a vain attempt to prove Kobolds worthy to the bearded ones, or is it some mad human endlessly breeding Kobolds to kill in cruel and unusual ways?

Whichever it is, may Armock grant a better fate to this one than he did the last three.

Bene Elim fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jul 22, 2011

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010
Goblins hadn't been represented yet, so I entered the noble Pinball Wizard to fill the gap. He will fight for goblin glory. Goblory.

Of course, given that I don't plan on doing any arena mode test runs, he probably won't live too long.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Whew, made it in, #37. Stranglers for the win!

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Bene Elim posted:

Damnit, Krysm! What do you have against these little guys? Why must they struggle so, just to provethemselves worthy of getting killed even more brutally?

I have a hard time immagining the force behind these trials. Is it some aged and revered Kobold King, sending his best fighters out endlessly in a vain attempt to prove Kobolds worthy to the bearded ones, or is it some mad human endlessly breeding Kobolds to kill in cruel and unusual ways?

Whichever it is, may Armock grant a better fate to this one than he did the last three.

I have nothing against them, I think the kobolds are cute!

When it comes to describing video game events, sometimes I take the role of the player a little too literally, whom the characters within the game can see nothing but the omnipresent force that controls their every action. Since the kobolds are being made out of nothing, I guess you could consider the force a very malevolent and greedy god who is wasting away these kobold lives for a little profit.

Thanks, I'm hoping this one will do much better. I would return the favor and wish that you'll do better than last time...but I don't think that's possible.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
Fear me, for Panty Thief the Yeti is on the prowl. His hunger for undergarments knows no bounds, neither gender nor species.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I've entered Mr Buckles, a female Kobold. This makes perfect sense.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
Registered, really hope I can get into this one.

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.

Fredrik1 posted:

Registered, really hope I can get into this one.

You need to post your activation code here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3349284

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

VladTheEater posted:

You need to post your activation code here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3349284

Welp, turns out that reading apparently is not one of my favorite past times, thank you for clearing that up for me.

My code is in that thread now.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Time to try my hand a a werewolf again. Ekvagir will hopefully do better than my humans have.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Krysmphoenix posted:

Oh, for arena testing, if people dislike having the other creatures in there, you can use this creature_arena.txt which just copied and pasted all of the gladiator races and put them into one .txt file for easy modification, and more importantly so you can safely delete all other creature files to remove clutter in the arena mode. Find your favorite race faster!
(Not advised for world generation.)

How do I use this? I don't have a creature_arena.txt. Do I just make one?

Edit: woops, double post.

PureRok fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 22, 2011

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Where Mutt failed in the last tournament, Mutt Junior will surely triumph!

Or fail again.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

PureRok posted:

How do I use this? I don't have a creature_arena.txt. Do I just make one?
Correct. Vox's raws already have all the arena creatures in there, but they are just scattered across the various creature files. All this did was put the arena creatures and put them into one file so you can delete the rest and make it a bit easier on yourself when it comes testing gladiators.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
As Jazzimus said earlier, if we get 128+ applicants then we will expand the tournament to accommodate them all. If we get less than 128, we'll be doing the usual 64-man event with up to four preliminary battle royale events.

Hairybudda
Jan 29, 2004

HEY LADIES ;-*
I guess I'm representing team Gremlin then!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Sup gremlin buddy.

I've been doing a little bit of testing and I have a terrible feeling we're both gonna be hosed from round one. But maybe I just haven't found the right build yet! MORE TESTING! :black101:

Clanrat
Jan 24, 2010
Registered to join. Aeiou the mighty human fighter will destroy everyone!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Two questions:

1) Do leftover points just sit there unused, or do they disappear, or do they get the % increase like last time? I can't remember what the decision was and I didn't see anything about it in the OP.

2) Am I not supposed to have any points available with which to customize my fighter at this time? I can't remember if that's normal or not. :)

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Bad Munki posted:

Two questions:

1) Do leftover points just sit there unused, or do they disappear, or do they get the % increase like last time? I can't remember what the decision was and I didn't see anything about it in the OP.

2) Am I not supposed to have any points available with which to customize my fighter at this time? I can't remember if that's normal or not. :)

1. They get the percentage increase.

2. You will receive your points when the tournament starts. I probably should have gone ahead and set it to grant the points as soon as you join the tournament, but it's too late to change that now.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Yeah, I entered a Kobold, but here's how every single test against a larger opponent goes:

The Minotaur 1 charges at Kobold 22!
Minotaur 1 collides with Kobold 22!
Kobold 22 is knocked over and tumbles backward!
[Several lines of kobold dismemberment]
Kobold 22 has been struck down.

Spending a huge number of points on dodging just adds several dozen lines of block/dodge spam to the top. I know supposedly dodge helps you avoid stuff when prone, but it seems like an unskilled guy attacking a prone Kobold with Dodge 10 and a buckler still hits nearly all the time. Oh well.

megane fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 22, 2011

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Maugrim posted:

Sup gremlin buddy.

I've been doing a little bit of testing and I have a terrible feeling we're both gonna be hosed from round one. But maybe I just haven't found the right build yet! MORE TESTING! :black101:

Yeah, working with my dark gnome, I can't seem to get above around a 50% winrate against typical builds. The little guys have always been challenge classes, though, and the rewards of surviving even one round are great. You can max out weapon skill, for example, or pump up dodging skill to take advantage of the 25% cost reduction.

For the first round, though, stick to one strategy and don't spread your points too thinly. The big guys can get away with it because their charging attack can substitute for an effective offense. We little guys do not have that luxury, and must still secure a kill as quickly as possible to have any real chance.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 22, 2011

IDOLA
Sep 17, 2005

:-)
Sweet, I'm in! Warewolves are the best wolves.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

megane posted:

Yeah, I entered a Kobold, but here's how every single test against a larger opponent goes:

The Minotaur 1 charges at Kobold 22!
Minotaur 1 collides with Kobold 22!
Kobold 22 is knocked over and tumbles backward!
[Several lines of kobold dismemberment]
Kobold 22 has been struck down.

Spending a huge number of points on dodging just adds several dozen lines of block/dodge spam to the top. I know supposedly dodge helps you avoid stuff when prone, but it seems like an unskilled guy attacking a prone Kobold with Dodge 10 and a buckler still hits nearly all the time. Oh well.
Yeah, that's about as well as my testing goes. My current build has a 40% success rate against a build I specifically made to be a fair counter against it. And I probably could do more testing, I think I'm going to stick to my skill ratio for now...
Although you said points gain interest if they are not used going into the next round? How much interest? An adamantine bow costs 1800 and would be badass to have early on.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Krysmphoenix posted:

Yeah, that's about as well as my testing goes. My current build has a 40% success rate against a build I specifically made to be a fair counter against it. And I probably could do more testing, I think I'm going to stick to my skill ratio for now...
Although you said points gain interest if they are not used going into the next round? How much interest? An adamantine bow costs 1800 and would be badass to have early on.

This is now in the OP. I believe the current value is 20% interest between each round.

As to the underpowered tiny creatures, yeah, that's part of life when managing one of the little guys. I considered giving gremlins or both dark gnomes and gremlins the [nostun] tag, which would make charging far less lethal against them, but decided to get the thread out rather than do more testing. If they fare extremely poorly this time around, we will certainly see more buffs for the next tournament.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

As always, my goal is to die the most spectacularly pathetic death possible, see gently caress Rogers et. al.

With that in mind, I AM READY LET'S DO THIS GIVE ME MY POINTS GO GO GO

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I've always preferred being an underdog anyway :)

Think I've decided on my build for the first round. Can't wait for the start. Hope we get 128 players as well, that will be epic!

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
57 of the available slots have been taken.

If the tournament is not increased to 128 participants, I believe that this means that only the next three participants are guaranteed to have a spot in the tournament, as up to four spots may be decided by Battle Royale contests.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Personally, I'd be happy with a smaller(!) 64-man tourney. :)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Pre-testing your build is tantamount to cheating.

Jeans
Jan 8, 2011

goatface posted:

Only to the extent that you know yours will work against certain things, unless you test against every possible combination. Its not illegal, yet, anyways, so its not cheating.

Blind luck and a belief in all things dwarfy shall be my guide, in any case! :hist101:

Jeans fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 22, 2011

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

goatface posted:

Pretesting your build is the coward's way! I haven't even downloaded the modified game and I am going to win something!

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm new to the tournament, and I will be RANDOMLY ASSIGNING MY SKILLS (to a degree), and I LIKE MY ODDS.

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.

Bad Munki posted:

Pretesting your build is the coward's way! I haven't even downloaded the modified game and I am going to win something!

I have never even installed dorf fortress, but I love the tourney. Hugh Mann will certainly win this tourney.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Only one final guaranteed slot left!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Burginator posted:

I have never even installed dorf fortress, but I love the tourney. Hugh Mann will certainly win this tourney.

I've never even heard of dwarf fortress, much less used a computer! I will destroy all competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Boing posted:

Why isn't this Dr Stranglelove. Someone change it

I thought it was, I'd appreciate it if it could be changed to this.

Edit, also I followed the last thread for a bit but then lost track, I don't know if their were any tournaments since the adventure update which changed combat (especially combat AI) a bit, but if there was could clue me in as to whether it has changed the viability of any builds massively?

Shorter Than Some fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 22, 2011

• Locked thread