Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren:Round 2, Fight 6:siren:

Get Yeti to rumble is a female Yeti fighter managed by Bene Elim. Her hands hold a gigantic bronze sword.
The Axe is a male Molemarian fighter managed by Silverminnow. His hands/flippers hold a steel axe. His body is covered in iron and steel. Can Yeti's sword find a chink in the armor? It looks doubtful on paper.

The huge fighters meet in the center and trade blows, both connecting solidly. The Axe has his tail slashed wide open, blood spurts everywhere. Get Yeti to rumble takes a blow to the right forearm that only manages to tear the arm fat. Haha Bene has fat arms, Bene has fat arms!

Get Yeti to rumble stabs The Axe twice or three more times, only managing to bruise guts, feet, and chest-muscle. The Axe responds by chopping off the yeti's right foot, causing her to fall to the floor.

The Axe takes a blow on his armor, then chops deep into Get Yeti to Rumble's neck which shatters the spine, cuts tendons, and opens arteries. This is too much for the Yeti who promptly passes out.

The Axe chops down, severing Get Yeti to rumble's head.

Winner: The Axe

Combat log

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
Well poo poo. Thought you might have gone max skills, minnow. Even then ot would have been a toss up at best.

Good luck in the rest of the tourney. Make sure you open up the Tin Can next round.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Yeah, hammerfighter vs. molemarian doesn't tend to end very well for the hammerfighter, does it? Maybe the poison will make the difference...

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren:Round 2, Fight 7:siren:

Carver is a female Soldier Ant Woman fighter managed by pun pundit. A steel longsword and two shields grace her hands.
Sir Scissor is a male Troll fighter managed by Haystack. An iron pike, buckler, and some snazzy leather pants are all he wears.

Carver dodges backwards while Sir Scissor growls "C'mere, i wanna do stuff to you."

That doesn't go exactly as Sir Scissor planned. The gigantic troll's guts tumble to the floor, ruining his Ricky-Martin-esque leather pants.

Another strike from Carver lances deep into the trolls foot. Sir Scissor passes out from pain.

A casual jab to the head ends Sir Scissors chances. There goes the last big guy in the tournament.

Winner: Carver

Combat Log

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Hoping I get to test my shield ant against pun pundit's in the next round. Three shields vs two.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Darn, shouldn't've bet on the big guys.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren:Round 2, Fight 8:siren:

Paranoid Ant-droid is a female Soldier Ant Woman fighter managed by Maarak. A bronze spear, a bunch of shields, and steel armor grace the magnificent ant.
Really Witty Name is a male Serpent Man fighter managed by Doobeedoo. An iron spear, a shield, and a little leather armor are the serpents equipment. We saw how well a bad weapon worked against good armor just a little while ago. Will this time be different?

These gladiators are defensively-minded and it shows. We have to go 33 lines into the combat log before someone makes contact with something other than a shield and isn't turned aside by armor. Really Witty Name, the serpentman, gets a blow through the leather armor of the ants weapon hand and forces Paranoid Ant-droid to drop her bronze spear. This is incredible! All Really Witty Name has to do is dance around and find more chinks like that, sooner or later he'll land a lucky strike while the weaponless Ant struggles to do anything.

:siren:
30 more loving blocked and deflected attacks

Really Witty Name is doing much better than I thought he'd do. He finds another soft spot and forces Paranoid Ant-droid to drop one of her shields.
Paranoid Ant-droid: I've been wounded. It's annoying.
Paranoid Ant-droid: I've been injured badly. There is no hope!

Really Witty Name blocks attack after attack, then charges and stabs his spear into the antwomans left foot. The foot is destroyed. The serpentman continues his charge and smashes into Paranoid Ant-droid! That was dumb. Now Really Witty Name is stunned!

How'd that work for you, Really Witty Name? Idiot. Paranoid Ant-droid kicks the stunned serpent in the ribs, jamming a false rib into his right lung. Another blow with her shield breaks Really Witty Name's right hand, and he drops his weapon. The antwoman strikes again and bruises the serpentman's right forearm's bone. Wow, what a punch! Really Witty Name shakes off the cobwebs and begins fighting the way he started the match... except he has no weapon.
Really Witty Name: I've been injured badly. I can't take it!

Dodging and blocking is really tiring isn't it? Especially with an antwoman that continuously punches so hard she bruises bones.

The fighters dip, dodge, duck, dive, and... dodge around the arena. This fight covers more ground than the last 3 combined.

Paranoid Ant-droid manages to kick and smash with her shields, bruising the hell out of the serpentmans head. He manages to get a decent shot in with his shield and bruises the antwoman's thorax and heart.

Paranoid Ant-droid collapses and falls to the ground from over-exertion. It's too bad Really Witty Name lost his weapon, because all he is doing is bruising his knuckles by punching steel armor.
Really Witty Name collapses and falls to the ground from over-exertion. More kicks to the gut slow the serpentman down even further.

Paranoid Ant-droid finally gets a solid blow on Really Witty Name's only working hand. It fractures the bone and causes immense pain. Down goes the serpentman.

And that is the end of round 2.

Winner: Paranoid Ant-droid

Combat Log

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I can't help but notice that I'm on top of the betting list again. :smuggo:

Also, I'm really glad the big guys are dead. I was genuinely worried about facing them. :v:

I have a number of proposed changes for the system, but my big point from before still stands: Big guys have potential, but they're crippled by their point count at the moment. Hell, even that minor reduction in size from God knows how many iterations ago is actually really harmful to their ability to exploit the size difference.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
That was a really good round- could have easily gone either way.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Everyone go bet all your money against the winning guy.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
:siren: Before we can start the next round, we need for the following fighters to be updated: :siren:

Full Communism Now (managed by Jack the Lad)

Floss Thrice Daily (managed by Tunicate)

Fan Favourite Joss Whedon (managed by Coward)

The Axe (managed by Silverminnow)

Carver (managed by pun pundit)

There's no great hurry, because we want to allow time for everyone to bet, and Spermy is unavailable to run fights for a few days anyway. I just wanted to let the managers know.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Spermy Smurf posted:

These gladiators are defensively-minded and it shows. We have to go 33 lines into the combat log before someone makes contact with something other than a shield and isn't turned aside by armor. Really Witty Name, the serpentman, gets a blow through the leather armor of the ants weapon hand and forces Paranoid Ant-droid to drop her bronze spear. This is incredible! All Really Witty Name has to do is dance around and find more chinks like that, sooner or later he'll land a lucky strike while the weaponless Ant struggles to do anything.

:ohdear:

quote:

Winner: Paranoid Ant-droid

Combat Log

:smug:

Very tense match, looking forward to the ant warrior superbowl.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Yeah this is the first round I'm not feeling confident about what build to go for for the next round. I'll have to sleep on it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It seems like material advantage is a really big factor once you can get full coverage.

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

I'm excited for the ants. I have a soft spot for them and their crunchy chitinous bodies.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Mlle posted:

I'm excited for the ants. I have a soft spot for them and their crunchy chitinous bodies.

Ant chitin got +1 to thickness this tournament for a little extra protection. But I think their recent success has to do more with the fact that tiny fighters still get so many more points.

I had dialed back their point advantage for this tournament, and I'll probably dial it back further for the next.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Jazzimus Prime posted:

I had dialed back their point advantage for this tournament, and I'll probably dial it back further for the next.

While the tiny fighters really do need a nerf (gremlins and such, mind you, ant women are pretty well balanced) it would be even better to give the big guys a boost. Like, cutting the point difference between them and the 1200 point baseline humans in half. So, 900 points for yetis instead of 600, and so on.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

my dad posted:

While the tiny fighters really do need a nerf (gremlins and such, mind you, ant women are pretty well balanced) it would be even better to give the big guys a boost. Like, cutting the point difference between them and the 1200 point baseline humans in half. So, 900 points for yetis instead of 600, and so on.

Yes, I meant that it would go both ways like that. Everyone will be closer to the 1200 baseline.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Yes, I meant that it would go both ways like that. Everyone will be closer to the 1200 baseline.

I'd also suggest slightly diversifying similar sized fighters. For example I like the idea of gremlins being the equivalent of a 1 hp creature - cut down their toughness, endurance, and willpower hard. Rather than dropping their point count all the way, give them a bit of leeway in that regard while making it balanced in that they can't take a hit and keep fighting, nor can they fight for long without getting tired. Gnomes would be closer to baseline stats and without that gimmick, while still being a fairly high point count fighters.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I put it all on the Skewer, don't let me down!

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

my dad posted:

I'd also suggest slightly diversifying similar sized fighters. For example I like the idea of gremlins being the equivalent of a 1 hp creature - cut down their toughness, endurance, and willpower hard. Rather than dropping their point count all the way, give them a bit of leeway in that regard while making it balanced in that they can't take a hit and keep fighting, nor can they fight for long without getting tired. Gnomes would be closer to baseline stats and without that gimmick, while still being a fairly high point count fighters.
Definitely agree that we need more diversity. Warewolves and Tigermen are functionally identical at present. One having higher strength and one better agility would be a good change. Similarly with Yetis and Trolls, their lack of points could be overcome if they had overwhelming strength or endurance.

This does open up a whole new problem of keeping balance. Making Gremlins 'one shot' fighters risks making them worthless, tweaking trolls or Yetis risks making them all-powerful again. Major flavour tweaks may well require another test tournament. A points rebalance would let us move on to an 'official' tourney and a new thread.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

So this might tip my enemy off to what I am doing with my fighter, but is it possible to see the point costs for items you can't currently afford on the arena site?

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.
No.... So close...

Would you believe I was actually considering getting a Steel Spear?
I made all the point purchases... then went "Nah. She wouldn't get enough armor to need it. She's gonna be putting points into blocking, so I need weapon skill"
Then I refreshed. If only I hadn't overthought that, I probably would've won.
...Well, I won one fight. More than I expected at the start of this.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

pun pundit posted:

So this might tip my enemy off to what I am doing with my fighter, but is it possible to see the point costs for items you can't currently afford on the arena site?

click on 'View Rules' on the left hand side. In there are all the points for the races, and costs for items and skills. Remember with equipment that you need to apply the materials modifier (multiplier) to get the actual cost. We're using the Individual Test League rules.

EDIT:
So I've been doing some testing to see what else I could have done with Rumble and sweet mercy Yetis are terrible!

I tried out a hammer/maul build and the giant ultra strong yeti was struggling to break bones reliably (9 hammer skill). For reference, this is above Tin Can's hammer skill level (as far as I can tell), and that snake (roughly a third of the size) was reliably breaking bones on a dwarf.

Either there's something up with Mauls that reduces their damage, or yetis really are completely worthless.

Bene Elim fucked around with this message at 11:59 on May 30, 2015

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Splode posted:

I put it all on the Skewer, don't let me down!

One way or another it should be an interesting fight. I cautiously like my chances.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

Bene Elim posted:

So I've been doing some testing to see what else I could have done with Rumble and sweet mercy Yetis are terrible!

I tried out a hammer/maul build and the giant ultra strong yeti was struggling to break bones reliably (9 hammer skill). For reference, this is above Tin Can's hammer skill level (as far as I can tell), and that snake (roughly a third of the size) was reliably breaking bones on a dwarf.

Either there's something up with Mauls that reduces their damage, or yetis really are completely worthless.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Mauls are terrible. Compared to Tin Can's warhammer, it would give you 20x the contact area and 2x the weight. Large body bruise vs a pinpoint break.

Try some warhammer testing on your yeti.

Captaindirtnap fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 30, 2015

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

In the team tourney Afriscipio's dude used a maul for most of the tourney to (mostly) unimpressive results. When he cashed it in for a warhammer in the last round he did some real damage.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Eh, I can't really say that I'm surprised that Sir Scissor bought the farm. He actually did better than I expected, given the point difference! Here were his skills/equipment, for reference.

pre:
He has the following equipment.
    Iron Pike
    Oak Wood Buckler
    Leather Leggings

He has the following skills.
    Level 3 Fighting (Competent)
    Level 7 Pike (Adept)
    Level 1 Biting (Novice)
    Level 2 Dodging (Adequate)
    Level 3 Shield (Competent)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Bene Elim posted:

This does open up a whole new problem of keeping balance. Making Gremlins 'one shot' fighters risks making them worthless, tweaking trolls or Yetis risks making them all-powerful again. Major flavour tweaks may well require another test tournament. A points rebalance would let us move on to an 'official' tourney and a new thread.

Mind you, I'm specifically trying to prevent what Fed After Midnight did to that poor tigerman in the team tournament. Shot in the knee, skewered through the shoulder, and still managed to slice a tigerman to ribbons before bleeding out. Also, in most cases, the "1hp" thing isn't really important since the first fighter to get injured usually loses anyway. It's just meant to give the enemy an edge in otherwise even fights. Also, the problem with Yetis (and other big guys) is that their old advantages don't really work in the current build. The boosts I suggested won't make them overpowered. It'd just keep them competitive.

Bene Elim posted:

Mauls are good if you're really strong, use a platinum maul, and have A SHITTON of skill, just because it can pulp limbs through extremely heavy armor instead of just breaking them, causing MASSIVE pain and bleeding. Otherwise, pick warhammers.

Which reminds me, blunt weapons or going to need some sort of non-material based progression, because for most purposes, copper is a perfectly fine endgame material. Maybe make maces use the same skill as warhammers, and double the price of warhammers, since maces are noticeably weaker than them?

Haystack posted:

Eh, I can't really say that I'm surprised that Sir Scissor bought the farm. He actually did better than I expected, given the point difference! Here were his skills/equipment, for reference.

pre:
    Iron Pike
    Oak Wood Buckler
    Leather Leggings

Level 3 Fighting (Competent)
    Level 7 Pike (Adept)
    Level 1 Biting (Novice)
    Level 3 Shield (Competent)

Sir Scissor was on of the better builds of the tournament. You were so close to a really, really, really good fighter with the build and victory points given in the previous round. Fortunately for Tin Can's odds of long-term survival, you diverged from that path. :v:

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Anything you have to say about Urist McMuntcuffin's build, my dad?

pre:
She has the following equipment.
     Copper War Hammer
     Leather Cap

She has the following skills.
     Level 6 Fighting (Talented)
     Level 11 Hammer (Great)
     Level 8 Dodging (Expert)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Zwingley posted:

Anything you have to say about Urist McMuntcuffin's build, my dad?

pre:
She has the following equipment.
     Copper War Hammer
     Leather Cap

She has the following skills.
     Level 6 Fighting (Talented)
     Level 11 Hammer (Great)
     Level 8 Dodging (Expert)

Pretty good build. I probably would have dropped a few points of fighting and dodging for another level of hammer skill, or to get a second hammer, but your build is just as valid. It's just that the dice favored the other guy.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

my dad posted:

Sir Scissor was on of the better builds of the tournament. You were so close to a really, really, really good fighter with the build and victory points given in the previous round. Fortunately for Tin Can's odds of long-term survival, you diverged from that path. :v:

I had no real strategy, what would you have done?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Haystack posted:

I had no real strategy, what would you have done?

You'll find out in the next tournament. :agesilaus:

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Oh, are we posting builds now?

GBS has a career record of 1 victory and 1 loss..

Oak Wood Shield
Copper Helm
Copper Mail Shirt
Copper Mail Shirt
Copper Greaves
Copper Gauntlets
Copper High Boots

Level 4 Fighting (Skilled)
Level 6 Wrestling (Talented)
Level 6 Striking (Talented)
Level 5 Biting (Proficient)
Level 7 Shield (Adept)
Level 6 Kicking (Talented)

My original plan was to forego armor in favor of more dodge/shield skill, but facing a snake man made me change my plans.

How viable do you guys think this build actually was? I was hoping that the points saved on not using a weapon would allow me to skill him up to usefulness.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Problem: Shield + empty hand doesn't mean he'll punch and block, it means he'll just keep shield bashing unless he gets an attack of opportunity.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

my dad posted:

Problem: Shield + empty hand doesn't mean he'll punch and block, it means he'll just keep shield bashing unless he gets an attack of opportunity.

Presumably, two empty hands means a fighter will actually punch?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

unwantedplatypus posted:

Presumably, two empty hands means a fighter will actually punch?

Yup. And kick and stuff. Unless they are specified to be a biter like the Snake Men in which case they'll bite and bite and bite and bite...

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Yeah, generally speaking fighters will rely on what they have in their hands first, and only rely on unarmed if they have nothing at all.

I've tested weird gimmick builds that involve, like, a soldier antwoman with two wooden maces and a longsword, or the like. She will preferentially use the sword, most of the time, if it's got the higher skill. It turned out to not be as effective as I hoped, and this was before the current cost increase. Maybe it's more viable now that we've got less charging linebacker steamrolls, though!

Come to think of it, I wonder if a misc obj master with a shield and a low-skill dagger would prefer to use the shield bash over the weapon...

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Disappointed we haven't seen any arrow-in-the-hand fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

People keep acting like I'm some hot poo poo in this game. I'm not. Pro-tip: Watch my dad. He's got more and better ideas on this than anyone at the moment.

For proof of this, he guided All Slade Gauntlets to a crushing victory in the last team tourney, can figure a build and correct it/tweak it almost no matter that starting point and has demonstrated a better understanding of the combat mechanics than even Jazz has at this point.

If you have 20 minutes to spare, it's well worth figuring out Tin Can's build through round one and two. It's insane! (For the record I've no idea where he's going to go in round three. Tin Can could turn up with a crossbow and I wouldn't be surprised)

• Locked thread