Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Jack the Lad posted:

There are two main problems with custom arenas.

1. It's really hard to edit arena.txt and have it come out as you want.
2. The AI is really, really bad at moving/pathing/dodging. Especially dodging. It will happily dodge off ledges or into lava.

As cool as the idea is, I don't think it's practical.

I'm with this one. A skill point for home teams is... eh?... but a home arena design I can't see as anything between pointless or insurmountable. Throw up a few pillars, and the end result is... nothing much, unless it forces an archer to walk forward to shoot one arrow before melee combat instead of having time for two/three arrows. It doesn't otherwise play much in melee combat.

And the other end is something like "a single long winding way over lava, while the melee foes are peppered with arrows and better hope they don't ever dodge".

Or, to take the same question from another angle, what's an arena.txt design that makes for an interesting but non-dominant home field advantage? Open question, even for those who don't endorse the idea.

In short, B or C, and I'd be good with C.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The only noncheap advantage I can think of is a symmetrical setup, but the home team gets to decide where the combatants are placed for better matchups. Put the enemy molemarian against your swordsmaster or whateevr.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Oh, that would work. Symmetrical, set arena, with codes like,
pre:
AB          12 
CD          34
EF          56
Away team gets "letter" side, and places first, publically. Like:
Molemonster B
Antipathy F
Slashmaster A
Shootyelf C

Home team places second, on "number" side.

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

I'm afraid to offend somebody, but I think that asking to develop maps that give advantage to a team through structure alone while leaving a competitive chance to the other team is kind of a tall order
It requires some high-tier level designer knowledge that allows to make maps ballanced without making them symmetrical (best example is Counter-Strike maps), to allow to give some-but-not-a-lot advantage

So I guess I'd vote B

Maybe other ideas for giving handicap might include giving the home team an NPC that's leveled/equipped according to how bad the home team jobbed (if that's even possible, I don't know what I'm talking about here in general, mind you), or having match be like "home team must defend a thing, other team must break/steal it" or something like that

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

dasmause posted:

"home team must defend a thing, other team must break/steal it" or something like that

Is it possible to create furniture in the arena? Because giving one team FURNITURE_DESTROYER or whatever it's called and then cutting them loose vs. the opposition might be an interesting mechanic, although not really germane to the discussion at hand.

I mean, just picture it:

but with dwarves and kobolds and yetis.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Well, apparently it is a thing to spice up arena fights with the addition of wild savage animals. Perhaps adding a Lion (on its own team) would be an interesting way to add a little spice to the fights. Of course, we are then left with the problem of an all-Lion final.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Voting C because :effort:

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
B if we are going for such a huge tournament we should make it as accessible as possible.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
B

Better to start sooner and not enter an entirely new balancing issue into the mix.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Don't care, lets have dudes kill each other in teams.

How many fights am I allowed to run in one day? You said it would take months, but I think you are underestimating my ability to neglect my wife and kids in order to run more fights.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
Speaking of, we might need new commissioners. Spermy's still going, but I'm off the books, as are ZeeToo, Silverminow and Maugrim for the time being (as far as I am aware). Spermy may be good, but he can't manage four divisions and all the rest of this mess himself.

If you've ever been interested in running fights and doing all the fancy writing/screenshot editing/.gif-making (pick one for any given fight) now would be the time to put yourself forward. There is even a secret hideout!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
B. Too fiddly otherwise. Maybe have a few preset arenas to choose from to make it easier for commishes.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
If someone goes over the setup crap (like how to run macros and stuff) with me, I'd be willing to give it a go.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007

Galick posted:

If someone goes over the setup crap (like how to run macros and stuff) with me, I'd be willing to give it a go.

Same for me.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
You guys sound like me 3 tournaments ago! Got emails addys? Jazz can probably get them for me if you want, i can show you boys what i do. Not saying its brilliant or whatever, but its pretty simple. I use mspaint to edit and combine screenshots.

And no peeking at any builds other than the ones you run! Except Bad Munki and My Dad for obvious reasons. Laughter and terror respectively.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Bene Elim posted:

Speaking of, we might need new commissioners. Spermy's still going, but I'm off the books, as are ZeeToo, Silverminow and Maugrim for the time being (as far as I am aware). Spermy may be good, but he can't manage four divisions and all the rest of this mess himself.

If you've ever been interested in running fights and doing all the fancy writing/screenshot editing/.gif-making (pick one for any given fight) now would be the time to put yourself forward. There is even a secret hideout!

I can't manage it daily or anything, but I can run fights again at this point. Keep me on the books.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I will happily run any fight against Spermy Smurf.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Pickled Tink posted:

Well, apparently it is a thing to spice up arena fights with the addition of wild savage animals. Perhaps adding a Lion (on its own team) would be an interesting way to add a little spice to the fights. Of course, we are then left with the problem of an all-Lion final.

I don't see how that's a problem.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Pickled Tink posted:

This is essentially the "Mystery Box" thing we had joked about. People could buy a mystery box for their team with their dwarfbucks that they won with betting. It could be one of 10 different things, maybe an oak shield, steel dagger for one of your teammates, plus or minus a skill level, or a loving yeti on its own team that starts dead center of the arena.

Get on it Jazz!

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

Poor piņata yeti.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Just letting folks know that this is still alive! Ish! Just haven't heard from Jazz in a while.

E: Actually I'm an idiot and talked to him earlier today.

Galick fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Sep 21, 2015

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
The new epic Arena Challenge season is coming Real Soon Now. I just had to take a brief break to make sure I could continue to feed my family and pay my mortgage. So sorry about that, my good internet friends :sadwave:

It won't be long now before the new season starts. No, really, it won't.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Good news everyone!

Jazz just said everything is all set to go, he coded mystery boxes and tied them into the betting portion of the site, and even made special coding that checks these forums and if my dad ever says 'holy poo poo' or 'hahaha look what I found' or 'exploit' then his fighter is automatically replaced with 0 point yeti.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Did he fix the bug that keeps making me lose?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Spermy Smurf posted:

Good news everyone!

Jazz just said everything is all set to go, he coded mystery boxes and tied them into the betting portion of the site, and even made special coding that checks these forums and if my dad ever says 'holy poo poo' or 'hahaha look what I found' or 'exploit' then his fighter is automatically replaced with 0 point yeti.

Little do you know that a 0-point yeti is the optimal build this time arond

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Bad Munki posted:

Did he fix the bug that keeps making me lose?

Feature. :colbert:

same as me :negative:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
In more serious news, goondorfs.net expired, alongside the Gemclod LP archived there.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

my dad posted:

In more serious news, goondorfs.net expired, alongside the Gemclod LP archived there.

Ahh, sorry, that's my fault. I forgot Gemclod was hosted there, I was thinking it was just the other random junk. The whole thing is still fully available (and will be indefinitely) at http://gregshort.net/goondorfs/gemclod/

If we want to arrange some other hosting for it, that's fine.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Spermy Smurf posted:

Good news everyone!

In all seriousness, the site is almost ready to go with regards to opening a new season for registration. I might take a few days after everyone is registered in order to run a few more tests before we start the fights, though. I'll also need to put together an OP for the new thread which is hopefully a little bit more than just complete rip-off of what Vox had put together for the current one.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

I'm ready to commission horribly!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

What a coincidence, I'm ready to lose horribly!

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
And I'm still here, too. :toot:

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
A new Arena Challenge tournament thread has appeared!

:siren: :siren: :siren: EVERYBODY GET IN HERE :siren: :siren: :siren:

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 13, 2015

Fuubi
Jan 18, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Urist McLee has entered the fray!

Edit: Oops! Going to the new thread now!

Fuubi fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 13, 2015

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Edit wrong thread. Go to the new one, stop posting here like I did because I'm a big dumb animal.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I, too, wish to make one final post in the wrong thread. :shobon:

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Jazzimus Prime posted:

A new Arena Challenge tournament thread has appeared!

:siren: :siren: :siren: EVERYBODY GET IN HERE :siren: :siren: :siren:

Bumping the old thread because we are still 9 fighters short. If anyone is reading this and doesn't know the new season is starting in a new thread: go to the new thread linked above.

• Locked thread