Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Shorter Than Some posted:

I thought it was, I'd appreciate it if it could be changed to this.

Jazzimus can change it for you. He'll probably see it here, but you might as well drop by the tech support thread to make sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

I thought it was, I'd appreciate it if it could be changed to this.

I've changed it for you.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
We're going to go ahead and bump the maximum number of participants up to 128. Anyone who registers after this point will be in as a regular competitor if the full 128 people sign up, and they will at least be picked up for the battle royale matches if we don't get enough people. So keep signing up! Either way, your participation is very welcome, and you WILL get to compete!

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
...can we make multiple gladiators if it almost reaches 128?

Jeans
Jan 8, 2011
What, one poor little kobold ready to lay down their life in the arena for your glory not enough?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Krysmphoenix posted:

...can we make multiple gladiators if it almost reaches 128?

I'd like to keep it at one fighter each if at all possible. If we get to 120 or something, I might introduce some house fighters.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Jeans posted:

What, one poor little kobold ready to lay down their life in the arena for your glory not enough?

I have other builds that I experimented with, but I stuck with the Bowbold because they are unpopular. Oh well, it doesn't matter now anyway, since Vox said no. No harm in asking though.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
Jonathan Sebastian Smith has taken his quilt pen and signed up to the tournament, there he will compete to win the hand of the fair lady and to become the rightful heir to the throne.

(I will have absolutely no idea what I am doing)

Edited because I can't spell worth a drat.

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 23, 2011

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Edit, also I followed the last thread for a bit but then lost track, I don't know if their were any tournaments since the adventure update which changed combat (especially combat AI) a bit, but if there was could clue me in as to whether it has changed the viability of any builds massively?

If you have any specific questions I'd be glad to pontificate on something approaching their point, but it'd be hard to just give general pointers. Whips and scourges are less murdermonsters now, and picks are more competitive, though.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
The rigid armor pieces are more effective against bashing weapons now, especially the ones that I nerfed somewhat. Creatures can dodge even when they're already on the ground. Fighting skill is more useful in that it gives your gladiator better odds at scoring more "solid" hits on a target, which can massively improve damage output.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Fredrik1 posted:

Jonathan Sebastian Smith has taken his quilt pen and signed up to the tournament, there he will compete to win the hand of the fair lady and to become the rightful air to the throne.

(I will have absolutely no idea what I am doing)

Funny you should say that, my fighter was very nearly a werewolf called Johann Sebastian Bark

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
This looks awesome, heading to the site right now to make a guy.

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.

Vox Nihili posted:

The rigid armor pieces

And which items are considered 'rigid'?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
That would be greaves/breastplate as opposed to mail shirt/mail leggings.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Fredrik1 posted:

become the rightful air to the throne.

I wonder how people will manage to breathe him.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Maugrim posted:

That would be greaves/breastplate as opposed to mail shirt/mail leggings.

Yep. Boots, gauntlets, and helms are also all rigid. I believe leather gloves are actually not rigid, but leather body armor is.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

Yep. Boots, gauntlets, and helms are also all rigid. I believe leather gloves are actually not rigid, but leather body armor is.

This is in line with reality. Protective leather, for riding a motorbike or armour, is tanned in a different fashion so that it will be quite rigid. It is usually very thick, and uses multiple layers.

Can't wait for this to build up some steam, I caught it near the beginning and nabbed a spot, and I can't say I'm not excited about it!

TheWhaler
Nov 6, 2009
Wait...I was looking at the effectiveness of armour and it seems that iron and bronze are just as effective as each other now...is that true? Now it seems the only difference between the two is weight.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Alright! I'm in! Gonna wreck some poo poo up!

JoeCool
Aug 15, 2009
Uhh, for some reason my fighter Gary "Hanzo" Busey came out as Gary \\\"Hanzo\\\" Busey, can you fix that?

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

JoeCool posted:

Uhh, for some reason my fighter Gary "Hanzo" Busey came out as Gary \\\"Hanzo\\\" Busey, can you fix that?

Sometimes proxy servers put backslashes in front of form-input quotation marks for some strange reason. I'll fix it for you as soon as my broadband internet comes back online I'm having to post this from my Android for the moment

edit: My broadband is back up and I've fixed it for you.

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 23, 2011

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Wow, we're over 70 entered fighters, and almost 200 registered/activated users. This is getting pretty big!

Disco_Bandit
Sep 8, 2006
Hardly any gremlins! This is sad. Gremlins are the best and need better representation.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Hey I have nothing else to do, I guess I'll test some builds, let me give this human a knife and

:stare:

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Some statistics as of now, through #73 Robo-Prancer MK.II:

Gremlin: 4
Gnome: 3
Kobold: 4
Stranger: 4
Serpent: 6
Soldier Ant: 2
Dwarf: 5
Elf: 3
Goblin: 3
Human: 11
Molemarian: 2
Werewolf: 6
Tigerman: 6
Minotaur: 6
Troll: 4
Yeti: 4

Median Size: 70
Mode Size: 70
Mean Size: 71.4

Female: 15
Male: 58

It seems it's the tournament of the humans this time. Of special note I'm gonna say that antwomen are definitely higher-tier than they're represented so far. If you're looking for a unique niche that isn't a joke, try an ant. Gremlins, on the other hand, have actually been buffed but are still a risky proposition like you wouldn't believe.

Also invite some friends for a nice, big tournament.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you're bumping this up to 128 AND still doing the losers bracket, I'm going to have to call you a crazy person.

Should be interesting to see how the ants fare this time. The baby-ant bug made things a little one-sided.
vvvv

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

ZeeToo posted:

It seems it's the tournament of the humans this time. Of special note I'm gonna say that antwomen are definitely higher-tier than they're represented so far. If you're looking for a unique niche that isn't a joke, try an ant. Gremlins, on the other hand, have actually been buffed but are still a risky proposition like you wouldn't believe.

I'm representing, the ant-woman seemed like a good build for what I planed, so I went with her. Can't wait for this tournament to start so I can start equipping her.

Valigarmanda
May 15, 2007

The frozen creature began emitting an eerie light...

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I'm representing, the ant-woman seemed like a good build for what I planed, so I went with her. Can't wait for this tournament to start so I can start equipping her.

Same here, she seemed super unique in the list! I'm excited to see how mine does in the free-for-all...

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

SynthOrange posted:

If you're bumping this up to 128 AND still doing the losers bracket, I'm going to have to call you a crazy person.

Vox decided not to do the loser's bracket this time around.

If my math is correct, 128-fighter single elimination should generate the same number of matches as 64-fighter double elimination.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

ZeeToo posted:

Also invite some friends for a nice, big tournament.

I'd like to run an ant, but I did that in the last tourny and drat near killed poor Vox. This time I'm running a different, but no less ridiculous build that will almost certainly fail spectacularly to work as planned.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I've registered for this tournament, and I'm looking forward to finally getting to play in this season!

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
:cry: An antwoman killed my first Krying Phoenix.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Krysmphoenix posted:

:cry: An antwoman killed my first Krying Phoenix.

That's why you should never pre-test your builds!

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I'm putting in a Kobold in case it turns out to be 128. Kobolds have yet to win any tourneys, but I can still hope! My theory is to try sword and board... well, dagger and board anyway. It MIGHT let me win... the first round... perhaps?

Picked a name from the Kobold language by pulling up a Kobold adventurer and hitting random a couple times.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Iunnrais posted:

I'm putting in a Kobold in case it turns out to be 128. Kobolds have yet to win any tourneys, but I can still hope! My theory is to try sword and board... well, dagger and board anyway. It MIGHT let me win... the first round... perhaps?

Picked a name from the Kobold language by pulling up a Kobold adventurer and hitting random a couple times.

Smatru Udasnu? Not a bad name for a kobold, all things considered.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hmm, I'm noticing more and more kobolds rising up. And I have no idea what their builds are like. Ha, you all are screwed!

Bad Munki posted:

That's why you should never pre-test your builds!

Err...uh...we're all screwed.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

George is going to make some new friends, and hug them and pet them and aww they broke. :saddowns:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Krysmphoenix posted:

Err...uh...we're all screwed.

You see, by pre-testing the build, you've set the viability of the fighter in stone. By not pre-testing my build, my fighter still has a chance to be viable, or even hugely successful! There's just no way to know.

Now I sort of wish I'd made a weretiger named Schrödinger.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

You see, by pre-testing the build, you've set the viability of the fighter in stone. By not pre-testing my build, my fighter still has a chance to be viable, or even hugely successful! There's just no way to know.

Now I sort of wish I'd made a weretiger named Schrödinger.

It truly is a scary thought that the fate of my gladiator lies heavily within the grasp of the Random Number God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I take comfort in that fact--nay, I am relying on it! :black101:

• Locked thread