Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

ZeeToo posted:

For things that aren't 34.01, though... Vox's original download was on megaupload; can someone who didn't start thoroughly loving with the raws without saving a fresh copy (which I did) upload a copy of the arena version?

I believe this should have all of the changes made by Vox, plus the Ironhand graphics pack, and no other changes.

http://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/df_31_25_arena.zip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Damnation, everytime I see new posts I think vox might have ran my fight.
Also seconding the idea to bet on tue tike between updates

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Lesson learned, next round I'll bet a small amount on every fight rather than larger amounts on a few fights.

More consistently exciting that way.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Jazzimus Prime posted:

I believe this should have all of the changes made by Vox, plus the Ironhand graphics pack, and no other changes.

http://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/df_31_25_arena.zip

Thanks for covering me on this.

Sorry about the wait. Yeah, my free time has been going into the new version.

Tomorrow I'll run a marathon of matches to make it up to everyone!

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.

Vox Nihili posted:

Tomorrow I'll run a marathon of matches to make it up to everyone!

This is fantastic news :black101:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
:siren:Round Two, Match Ten:siren:

Match Ten, Goobert (Greedish) vs. Hans (fluppet)

Goobert, dwarf, recently got his hands on some pricy gear. He wields a massive, exquisitely-inlaid steel great axe, wears an adamantine helm, and favors expensive platinum for his breast plate. He also sports some very fashionable leather high boots. The flashy dwarf comes up against Hans the molemarian. Hans has four bronze high boots which fully protect each of his stubby legs, an iron helm, and some leather armor. His weapon of choice is a steel spear. Both warriors look fully-capable of tearing their counterpart to bits! Let's see how they fare.

The match begins! Hans gets the first strike in, perhaps due to his opponent's extremely heavy platinum breast plate. The dwarf dodges easily, and soon the two are rapidly striking, parrying, and dodging to and fro.

As Hans steps forward to attack once more, Goobert lays into the molemarian with his steel axe! He slices a deep gash into the molemarian's flank, but the beast shows no sign of even noticing the wound. Hans fights back, but the dwarf deftly avoids the strike and hacks at the molemarian's foot, inflicting a shallow wound through the bronze boot.

Hans moves to skewer the annoying dwarf, but Goobert performs an expert parry and cleaves off one of Hans' arms, wholesale! The limb flops to the ground, and as Hans momentarily pauses to reflect on his misfortune, Goobert brings down his hefty blade in a massive executioner's chop, cleaving through the flesh of the molemarian's humanoid upper back! The steel slices through leather, flesh, and spine, and Hans collapses to the ground in a heap, paralyzed and defenseless. Goobert approaches the situation as a dwarven butcher would approach a carcass, hacking deeply into the slabs of flesh before him. Moments later, Hans bleeds out entirely, and Goobert claims victory.

The blood spatter on Goobert clashes markedly with his polished, almost vain appearance.

Combat Log

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

All hail Goobert the Butcher!

Also a picture of him, blood soaked, in his finery would be sweet.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

Vox Nihili posted:

...Moments later, Hans bleeds out entirely, and Goobert claims victory.

Aw, man. 25 dorfbucks down the tubes. Way to go, Hans.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
:siren:Round Two, Match Eleven:siren:

Match Eleven, Shootey McShootalot (Useless Shotgun) vs. Aeiou (clanrat)

Shootey McShootalot, elf, is armed with an iron bow and arrow set and fully-clad in copper mail armor. Aeiou, a human, has a platinum battleaxe, oak shield, silver helm and leggings, steel breast plate, and leather gauntlets and high boots. Why the platinum and silver, you ask? Who knows, as they certainly aren't effective metals for what Aeious is using them as! Even if the human makes it to close range, he may have trouble harming the copper armored elf.

The match begins! Shootey looses his first arrow, grazing Aeious across the leg! The human axeman continues to advance.

Shootey's next arrow flies just wide, giving Aeiou the chance he needs to get in close! Soon the gladiator is upon Shootey, but the elf dodges nimbly and manages to fire another arrow at close range- only to see Seiou leap cleanly out of its path!

Now Aeiou pins down his opponent with a relentless flurry of blows, but sadly, each strike simply deflects off of the elf's cheap armor! The platinum axe is neither sharp enough nor heavy enough to inflict significant harm. Shootey weathers dozens of blows with only a few bruises to show for it, though he is even more inept at dealing close-quarters harm than his opponent! He has trouble loading his arrows in the melee, and only gets off a couple shots- one of which is blocked, and the other only causes a tiny wound through Aeiou's sturdy steel breast plate.

The battle, as it is, drags on. Aeiou blocks the next arrow launched his way and continues to chip away at his opponent, but Shootey calmly accepts the fruitless onslaught. Finally, after much effort, Aeiou succeeds in smashing one of the elf's hands after knocking him to the ground, but only after pounding at it with his own fists rather than using his axe. Shootey loses his hold on his bow, leaving him with arrows alone to fight with. The elf finally gets back to his feet, but is now harried by terrible pain emanating from his shattered hand. He attempts a final, desperate charge, hoping to impale Aeiou upon one of his arrows, but succeeds only in tumbling to the ground with his human foe. Shootey gets up, staggers, and collapses, unconscious, only to recover a mere moment later.

The bizarre struggle rolls northward, and for minutes on end Aeiou charges, kicks, slaps, and generally harries the now-helpless elf. But though Aeiou has no real way to defend himself, his copper armor turns his opponent's blade time after time. Finally, in a bizarre turnabout, Shootey manages to stab his opponent through the hand with one of his arrows, and Aeiou drops his almost-useless platinum axe! I'm not sure who will actually benefit from this development, because now Aeiou will be forced to use somewhat less-useless attacks. The slap-fight continues, now with much biting and scratching, each competitor forced to use their off-hand in battle. Aeiou is in pain and rapidly tiring, but Shootey is even less effective in close quarters generally, though he seems to have recovered from his earlier, painful wound.

Eventually, pitifully, Aeiou is arrow-stabbed in his wounded hand again, then passes out as the elf gouges his other hand. Shootey finishes the job by jabbing an arrow through his disabled opponent's skull, claiming victory, though certainly no honor. This is a fight that will probably be excluded from the annals of Arena history.

Combat Log

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Feb 22, 2012

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ha! Another student of the gently caress Rogers School of Armor Selection.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
:siren:Round Two, Match Twelve:siren:

Match Twelve, Betty (A good poster) vs. Theseus Cheetahman (Roonespism)

Betty the yeti is equipped with a silver war hammer, iron breast plate, iron gauntlets, and iron high boots. Theseus Cheetahman, tigerman, has an iron two-handed sword, oak shield, copper helm, copper mail, and steel greaves. Apparently Theseus is very afraid of being hit in the leg. Betty's armor is of the perfect level to defeat her opponent's weapon, but the coverage leaves something to be desired.

The match begins! Both gladiators rush forward, Theseus noticeably quicker than his opponent. He strikes first, but the yeti escapes the attack without difficulty.

Theseus steps forward to strike once more, but Betty immediately seizes the opportunity to barrel into her opponent, knocking Theseus to the ground and leaving him badly stunned, though otherwise unharmed. Betty bashes the tigerman's shield hand, crippling it in one stroke, then obliterates his unarmored ankle with another. Theseus is beset by excruciating pain, unable to stand, and unable to hold his shield.

The wounded tigerman waves his sword at Betty, causing her to momentarily step back. But now Theseus's tank is empty, and he surrenders to unconsciousness. Betty steps forward and pops the tigerman's skull like a ripe melon, and the fight is over!

Combat Log

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Congrats to A good poster for some efficient hammering.

That's all for now, if I get off work at a reasonable hour I may run a few more tonight.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Man, that's a hell of a difference from lazily bonking that kobold in round 1.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Aeiou, goddammit. :argh:

I needed to win that one for my funds.

Useless Shotgun
Nov 5, 2010

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk, I'm a woman's man: no time to talk.
Wow...that was some win. All according to plan?

Anyway nice job Vox doing quite a few, but I did notice a few errors in yours. In pargraphs 3 and 4 you use the wrong names.

I really wasn't expecting that win.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Whats with all the platinum weapons? :psyduck:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Useless Shotgun posted:

Wow...that was some win. All according to plan?

Anyway nice job Vox doing quite a few, but I did notice a few errors in yours. In pargraphs 3 and 4 you use the wrong names.

I really wasn't expecting that win.

Thanks, and if you see any more mistakes in the future, go ahead and quote that part of the passage so I can't easily correct them.

Needless to say, I did not get off work at a reasonable hour. Not at all.

I'll run a couple in the morning instead, though!

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Match Eight, Barrelbum (FebrezeNinja) vs. Army of Four (Bad Munki)

Barrelbum the tigerman is clad in full-length iron armor. He wields a copper halberd in one hand and carries an oak shield in the other. Army of Four, strangler, has no equipment whatsoever. There is no reason to expect that Army of Four can even harm the tigerman, much less win. At least this will be a short fight.

I guess I shouldn't have been that worried about this one. I wasn't expecting the copper weapon to still be useful. In any case, :woop:

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Do bets pay out post fight or post tournament round?

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Pladdicus posted:

Do bets pay out post fight or post tournament round?

Bets pay out post tournament round.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

FebrezeNinja posted:

I guess I shouldn't have been that worried about this one. I wasn't expecting the copper weapon to still be useful. In any case, :woop:

Ehhhhhhhh, I hope you choke on it!

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Sweet. I bet 300 each on Shootey and Betty, making a cool 525 dorfbucks.

I'm not really sure if I should be proud of my winnings from Shootey's victory, though :dawkins101:

A win's a win, I suppose. At least it was entertaining.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
In a slightly belated fete for the loss of all this tournament's kobolds, and with Vox's permission, it's time for Kobold Krusher!

Kobold Krusher is a brief side arena dedicated to everyone's favorite losingest race: the kobold. If you've ever wanted to give them a whirl, but were too worried about your chances, now's your time to shine! We're looking for probably sixteen entrants.

You must make a Kobold. Standard tournament rules apply: two kobolds enter, only one advances to the next round, and the other is eliminated. However, the one to advance is the one who loses. To prevent this from being a match of unskilled wrestlers, we're going to have some tighter controls on what you create to make sure we still get some interesting fights, and hopefully make the game more about (un)optimizing.

So, here's the rules:
- You're making a kobold, with second-round point totals: 3000. You must spend at least 90% of them, or 2700.
- Your kobold must be armed, and with more than a buckler.
- You must spend at least 1000 points on your equipment.
- You cannot take skills you aren't using--no dropping all your points into crossbows or something.
- One of your highest-leveled skills must be a weapon skill, so no weaseling your way into incompetence by not knowing how to fight. That is, if you have a skill (say, Dodging) at 6, you must be at rank 6 with a weapon you're holding.
- :siren: Important note for bowmen: your ammo count is equal to your bow skill, to a minimum of 3. So if you have bow rank 1, you only bring three arrows. Rank 10 and you'll bring ten.
- No wooden weaponry, but only wooden shields
- No adamantine bashing weapons
- No platinum armor.

We're not working this through the Arena site; either PM me or shoot an E-mail to my gmail account, SAZeeToo.
So how bad a kobold can you field?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

In!

Klokwurk
Sep 18, 2010

I'm completely bloody shit at this!
Excellent! Sent you an email.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I look forward to the terrible crossbow beatings fiesta. Totally in for this.

E: Sent via email.

Orv fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 26, 2012

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sent my chap via PM, whoop whoop!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Kobold PMed.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You guys better look out, I spent all of my points, none of this stopping-at-2700 business!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Bad Munki posted:

You guys better look out, I spent all of my points, none of this stopping-at-2700 business!

As did I. Don't want it to be too easy, do we?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I wonder how many of us will share the same build.

But basically, this:

Orv posted:

terrible crossbow beatings fiesta

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Bad Munki posted:

I wonder how many of us will share the same build.

But basically, this:

That, or using edged weapons made of silver.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Alright. Let's do this. Time for another Bowbold!

EDIT: And sent. Alright, The Formerly Deceased Reborn Undead Krying Phoenix Zombie, the Victim of the Random Number God, don't fail me now.

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 26, 2012

Orv
May 4, 2011
I hit in at 2805 points. I've probably still hosed myself into a win. V:v:V Oh well.

E: V - Theories like triple-layered copper mail, I assume.

Orv fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 26, 2012

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I consulted with gently caress Rogers' armorologist and he has some very exciting new theories he's been working on, we'll see how they pan out here.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
Another one spending 3000 points here. I really hope this ends up being as hilarious as it sounds.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

My dude is in. With my luck at these things I will actually win this time in some sort of reverse slade-mace Yeti-Brawl tomfoolerly where we find out that an edged silver weapon is actually the most deadly kind of all.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ramc posted:

My dude is in. With my luck at these things I will actually win this time in some sort of reverse slade-mace Yeti-Brawl tomfoolerly where we find out that an edged silver weapon is actually the most deadly kind of all.

Were-kobolds!

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
My Kobold is descended from a long line of Kobold nobility and as such is blinged out in a full suit of platinum. He will be an indestructible rock. I'm shooting for death by stavation.

edit:

quote:

- No platinum armor.

Well, I'm super dumb, back to the drawing board.

Edit2: Due to hard economic times, Sir Wally the Walleyed has had to sell off his platinum armor for a more practical set of bronze.

Anchors fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Kobold sent!

• Locked thread