Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

You can always hit the "?" in the corner of my post to quickly scroll through all my posts in the thread.

Good idea, here's just the winners (so far) load out:

Vox Nihili posted:

Midas' Touch the minotaur doesn't mess around when it comes to gear. Bronze pike, oak shield, done.

Huaso, human gladiator, carries a steel spear and wears a simple copper helm.

Picnic Raider is a balanced if unarmored soldier ant woman, wielding a copper flail and oaken buckler.

Ted the Hurty, human warrior,is armed with a heavy silver flail and oaken shield. His armor is extensive. He wears an iron helm, iron breast plate, iron gauntlets, iron greaves, and iron high boots, in addition to a copper mail shirt and leather under-cap.

Pinball Wizard the goblin is armed with a powerful steel crossbow and 40 matching bolts. He does not bother with armor.

That One Snake Guy, a serpent man, has what appears to be a cobbled-together collection of gear. An iron sword and oak buckler. Copper cap under steel helm. Copper mail under steel breast plate. And, last but not least, a leather "boot" for his large tail.

Aspen, an elf-like human, is equipped with a steel long sword and a complete set of iron armor.

Barrelbum the tigerman is clad in full-length iron armor. He wields a copper halberd in one hand and carries an oak shield in the other.

Junai, a werewolf, wears a partial set of bronze armor over a simple copper mail shirt. Her weapon of choice is a bronze great axe.

Goobert, dwarf, recently got his hands on some pricy gear. He wields a massive, exquisitely-inlaid steel great axe, wears an adamantine helm, and favors expensive platinum for his breast plate. He also sports some very fashionable leather high boots.

Shootey McShootalot, elf, is armed with an iron bow and arrow set and fully-clad in copper mail armor.

Betty the yeti is equipped with a silver war hammer, iron breast plate, iron gauntlets, and iron high boots.

Dr Stranglelove, strangler, has a pair of steel picks held between his four hands.

Pip the tigerman, on the other hand, wears an iron breastplate and iron helm. He wields a steel two-handed sword and iron short sword in the rapier and dagger style.

Yum, goblin, is kitted out with a copper war hammer, oaken shield, leather cap, leather body armor, iron gauntlets, and iron high boots.

MLK, on the other hand, goes for simplicity: his gear list begins and ends with an iron war hammer.

Moustache Billy, tigerman, is fairly well-armored with an iron helm, iron mail shirt, and iron gauntlets. He effortlessly wields a matching iron halberd.

McGruff the Crime Hound, werewolf, prefers a steel dagger and has a bizarre set of armor. Silver mail, bronze mail, bronze boots, leather leggings, hardened leather chest armor, and a silver helmet.

Ook. Ook? OOOOOOKK!, strangler, wields an iron battleaxe, apparently with great skill. He dons no armor.

Clown Baby has an iron halberd, oak shield, copper helm, and leather armor.

Lin the soldier ant woman wears iron mail, iron leggings, a leather cap, and a copper full helm. She wields a pair of iron spears.

Belbez Evon, is his opponent. He wears an iron helm, iron high boots, copper mail, and some other miscellaneous armor. In his hand he carries a hefty iron war hammer.

Horza, a troll, straps into his extensive armor. Copper high boots, copper greaves, copper helm, iron gauntlets, iron mail shirt, and a leather tunic. His fists are his weapon.

Mrs. Vox the troll favors a massive steel great axe.

Elizabeth Bennet, a goblin, wields a steel battle axe and wears steel mail, helm, and gauntlets.

Hugh Mann, is a human warrior with a steel longsword and some classy leather high boots.

Brometheus, werewolf, wields an iron two-handed sword in one hand and and oak shield in the other. He wears a steel helm, iron mail shirt, iron high boots, copper leggings, and copper gauntlets.

Jonathan Sebastian Smith, the opponent, is a human swordsman. He carries a steel sword and oak shield. His armor consists of an iron helm, copper mail shirt, and hardened leather doublet.

The Badgerconda, a serpent man, comes armed with both a copper whip and an iron scourge. He wears a steel helm, steel mail, and steel breast plate, but only leather armor on his extremities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

drat you Diablo III, especially because I can't play it...

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug
Went and placed some bets on the fights remaining in this round, but no idea when those will come paid. I guess I'll check back on this thread every week or so! I picked the wrong time to find it :)

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

By the way, that last fight was the most interesting I have ever seen. I'm still not sure if Scott Howard healed his foot immediately after it was broken or what.

I went on quite an emotional journey reading that. Almost losing a hand was bad enough, but something deep inside me almost broke when he stood back up.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

gbuchold posted:

Went and placed some bets on the fights remaining in this round, but no idea when those will come paid. I guess I'll check back on this thread every week or so! I picked the wrong time to find it :)

Hey everyone, updates are forthcoming. Wasn't just diablo 3 holding me back, also had a car die on me, which was pretty serious and is still eating up some of my free time. But I have a new (used) car now, so I should have plenty of time again.

Also, pretty burned out on Diablo III.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
:siren:Round Two, Match Thirty:siren:

Match Thirty, Lord Fusslepot (Ionnracht) vs. Sir Smellsalot (onetwentysix)

Lord Fusslepot, human, wields a steel long sword and is completely unarmored. Sir Smelsalot, tigerman, has a copper scourge and oaken buckler, but also chooses to fight without any armor. Both warriors have impressive titles. Both are fully capable of destroying the other. Let's see if either of them get that far!

The match begins! Both warriors advance. Lord Fusslepot leads with a thrust, but Smellsalot knocks the blow away with the long hilt of his scourge, then continues the motion forward to lash at the swordsman! Fusslepot is just able to get his weapon back up in time for a last-second parry of his own. But before he can even prepare for his next move, the tigerman charges at him!

Fusslepot evades, dodging away with mere millimeters to spare, and Smellsalot stumbles forward awkwardly, not expecting to find no resistance to is headlong rush. The two warriors soon close to fencing range again. Lord Fusslepot has an opportunity to strike, but, crucially, decides to circle around for a better angle instead. Sir Smellsalot has no such reservations, and immediately attacks the swordsman. Lord Fusslepot parries the first strike, but this time fails to see the charge coming! The tigerman lowers his shoulder and sends the human tumbling. But Fusslepot retains his composure, using his sword to fend off three successive whirls of the tigerman's scourge.

Now Fusslepot is back on his feet, and he evades another of the tigerman's increasingly rapid strikes. Even before Fusslepot can make a move, though, Smellsalot is upon him yet again. This time, the tigerman's scourge bites into his leg even as Fusselpot is sent to the ground. Fusselpot parries one blow, but the next rips into the fatty flesh of his upper arm, embedding itself painfully. Lord Fusslepot desperately pulls himself to his feet even as his opponent wrenches his bladed whip free. But Sir Smellsalot is far from done. The very next strike targets Fusslepot's weakened arm, shredding the flesh horribly and knocking him back to the ground once more.

Lord Fusslepot's strength is broken. Blow after blow rains down upon him with no response, until one particular lash manages to sheer off an entire hand, and Fusslepot's sword clatters to the hard, blood-stained arena tile. Lord Fusslepot's end is brutal, painful, and long in coming, but the swordsman eventually bleeds out, fully conscious.

Combat Log

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

Vox Nihili posted:

Lord Fusslepot's strength is broken. Blow after blow rains down upon him with no response, until one particular lash manages to sheer off an entire hand, and Fusslepot's sword clatters to the hard, blood-stained arena tile.

:allears: I've missed you, Arena Challenge.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

It's back! What a brutal death.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
:siren:Round Two, Match Thirty-one:siren:

Match Thirty-one, Socrates (PublicOpinion) vs. roctavian (Clockwork Gadget)

Socrates is a well-equipped serpent man. He carries a steel pick and oak shield, wears a steel helm padded with a leather cap, steel mail shirt, iron gauntlets, and rigid leather armor. Roctavian's weapon of choice is a silver war hammer. He also carries an oak buckler and wears a bronze helm and two layers of bronze mail. Ironically, despite spending heavily on armor, neither gladiator can expect their cladding to provide a significant edge, given their weapons. Now, let's see which serpent man will reign supreme!

The battle begins, and the armored snakemen slither forward. They strike at almost precisely the same moment, though roctavian's hammerblow bruises Socrates' hand just before the latter's bite deflects off of roctavian's armor. Ultimately, neither are seriously hurt at this point, and feints and evasive maneuvers.

Eventully, roctavian begins to take the initiative, which comes to fruition as he knocks his opponent to the ground with a bold offensive push. Socrates is left stunned and nearly helpless under a rain of blows, but thanks to roctavian's poor choice of strikes and a bit of luck, Socrates escapes the pinch relatively unscathed. Far from being useless, Socrates' iron gauntlets are pivotal in protecting his hands from being destroyed by roctavian's hammer!

Now, the defensive dance begins anew. Pick and hammer are swung in turn, but neither comes close to landing a meaningful blow as the two nimble warriors slither this way and that. Eventually, they end up exactly where the fight began, in the center of the ring with their backs to their respective starting positions!

The melee rolls toward roctavian's corner, and Socrates seizes the moment with what could be a decisive charge! However, he only succeeds in tumbling to the ground alongside his opponent, both too dazed to gain much from the encounter. Socrates does manage to rise first, but roctavian escapes with four successive blocks and an impressive double-roll, then springs to a vertical pose and strikes his opponent's vulnerable tail! The hammerblow, however, fails to inflict anything more than moderate bruising. A moment later, though, roctavian regains his advantage by strong-arming his opponent to the ground. Before Socrates can so much as raise his shield, roctavian performs what we can only assume is the ultimate finishing move in serpent man martial arts:

Socrates, transfixed by roctavian's mastery, sustains three rapid, devastating strikes to the eye, tail, and left arm. Bone finally gives way before hammer. As the beatdown grows to a crescendo, roctavian manages to rip through his opponent's iron gauntlet with his bare nails, gouging deep into Socrates' wrist. Socrates feebly attempts to fight back- or is he waving his arms in a desperate plea for quarter? Regardless, none is given, and the moment that Socratess finally blacks out, roctavian puts him down for good by caving in his head, skull, steel helm, leather cap and all in one strike.

Combat Log

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Curses! Probably another death due to too many points into equipment vs. a higher skilled opponent.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Only one match to go until the end of the 2nd round, meaning that the tournament is 3/4 finished!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
:siren:Round Two, Match Thirty-two:siren:

Match Thirty-two, (POP)erthe(pop)eny (resistentialism) vs. Dies Horribly (rickvoid)

The bizarrely-titled (POP)erthe(pop)eny, known henceforth as POP, is a soldier ant woman. She wields an iron crossbow with 40 bolts and two oak bucklers. Her armor consists of a copper cap and some incidental leathers. Dies Horribly, goblin, is a crowd favorite. He has his work cut out or him today, though. Though his steel pick is more than capable of dismember the poorly-armored ant woman, his ill-advised silver breast plate and copper helm are unlikely to do him much good against iron bolts. His heavy copper shield, however, could prove decisive! Will he die in a hail of bolts, or advance to the rapidly-approaching round three?

The final match of round two begins! Dies Horribly bounds from his corner, his opponent's first shot just wide!

Dies runs forward, screaming either in terror or bloodlust. He holds his shield before him, blocking his line of sight but providing some semblance of protection. POP quickly reloads and fires just a Dies reaches the center of the ring, but the bolt strikes the upraised shield! Dies might just make it across!

POP works to reload, but simply isn't ready to fire before the goblin is upon her! Dies brings down his pick for the decisive strike- but the ant woman is long gone, having evaded the strike well ahead of time!

Wearing what we can only assume is a grin upon her chitinous face, POP raises her now-loaded crossbow to Dies' head. Just as she pulls at the trigger, though, Dies Horribly strikes with a side-armed swing of his heavy pick, connecting at the narrow point where POP's abdomen and thorax are linked. Were linked. The ant woman is unceremoniously split in two, and her loaded bolt remains in the crossbow, forever unfired. Dies Horribly advances to the next round!

Combat Log

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
As soon as we get updates on the surviving gladiators, we can move on to the long-awaited round 3!

Currently waiting on updates for about 1/4 of those remaining. Emails and reminders will go out. I'll give the managers a good amount of time to attend to things, as many probably assumed the thread was dead after a month passed without an update. However, we may need to find some stand-ins if a few days pass without word from the winners.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Congratulations to the 32 surviving gladiators! All of them have a chance at being named the tournament's Grand Champion when all is said and done!

On the betting front, meanwhile, some are in better shape than others, as RickVoid takes the lead by almost 10,000 dorfbux over the next nearest competitor!

There will be a few days for the remaining players to update their fighters before the 3rd round matches will be set, and betting opened for the third round.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Thread is back! And in style!I'm picturing that as a "Dodge THIS" moment gone horribly awry and grinning like an idiot.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
Oh no, roctavian won! Now I have to reread the OP to figure out what I should put points in again. :effort:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Goblin-

Actually, the hell with it. Every-time Die's survives another match I sit here shocked.

I actually had to re-read part of that, because at first I thought Die's had cut her in half with his Shield, and I now I can't see him as anything other than a green Captain America.

Now to try and remember my plans for building him... how long has it been since this season started?

Edit: *Sees his nearly 14k in dwarfbucks* Bwahahaha! I will be continuing my tradition of betting half my funds on myself, so Die's next round will have at least seven grand up for grabs! I'll split the remainder between my surviving goblin buds.

Combat Log posted:

Dies Horribly blocks The flying {iron bolt}!
Dies Horribly attacks (POP)erthe(pop)eny but It jumps away!
Dies Horribly strikes (POP)erthe(pop)eny in the abdomen with his steel pick and the severed part sails off in an arc!
(POP)erthe(pop)eny has been struck down.

:fuckoff:

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 22, 2012

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Awesome fights. This thread is the best.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
IMPORTANT NOTE:

The seedings will once again be randomized at the start of the new round, so if your fighter is still alive, he/she will PROBABLY NOT be facing the opponent currently indicated in the bracket. (there's a 1/31 chance of facing any specific remaining opponent)

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
:negative:

Can we go back to the last season? I was doing good there.

Ah, well; I'll just hope to snipe some amazing fighter.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow. Never would have figured a tail lash for a decisive blow.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
After all the hiatuses, I'm expecting some unclaimed gladiators. Watching like a hawk vulture.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Still waiting on five managers! Emails will be going out shortly to:

Goodchild, managing Horza the troll.
Gomegoth, managing Mrs. Vox the troll.
onetwentysix, managing Sir Smellsalot the tigerman.
Goatie, managing Belbez Evon the dwarf.
dr solway garr, managing That One Snake Guy the serpent man.

Edit: Emails have been sent out. Tentative cutoff date of Monday the 25th for some sort of communication at this point, at which time I will start the process of looking for new managers.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 24, 2012

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

Vox Nihili posted:

Edit: Emails have been sent out. Tentative cutoff date of Monday the 18th for some sort of communication at this point, at which time I will start the process of looking for new managers.

Er... The next Monday the 18th isn't until Feb., 2013... :(

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

FiddlersThree posted:

Voxtime strikes again! :haw:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

FiddlersThree posted:

Right, the 18th was last week. Corrected to the 25th.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Waiting on three managers, now.

Goodchild, managing Horza the troll.
Gomegoth, managing Mrs. Vox the troll.
onetwentysix, managing Sir Smellsalot the tigerman.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
I always had a soft spot for abandoned kitties, I'll totally claim the tigerman if onetwentysix is a no-show.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I'll take over whoever, if it's possible (already lost my match) and needs doing.

Will give ownership back in the event the owner comes back of course.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

For the record I misspelled my kreen-talk. Oh well.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

I am also available to take someone over if needs be.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Still waiting on the same three managers. I'll be putting them up for reclaiming on a first-come, first-serve basis sometime tomorrow, assuming none of the managers return by then.

To clarify, whoever posts first asking for a character after I announce its availability will receive temporary ownership. The ownership becomes permanent if the original manager does not return within three days. You are not eligible to adopt a fighter if you still have a surviving gladiator in the current tournament.

If you want to claim one of these fighters, be ready to make a snap reply around twelve hours from now.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
:siren:Post now if you would like to adopt Horza the troll.:siren:

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Yes!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

And so it begins...

:f5:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
:siren:Post now to adopt Mrs. Vox the troll!:siren:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

POW!

That's how we do!

e: Can I rename her to The Hon. Dr. Mrs. gently caress Rogers? :ohdear:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

drat your trigger finger boy!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
:siren:Post now to adopt the last free agent, Sir Smellsalot the tigerman!:siren:

• Locked thread