Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
It looks like a small change in the arena interface that was introduced in DF2014 might make it much easier to run these tournaments.

One of the problems with the old arena interface was that in DF2010 and DF2012, there was no way to reliably reset a creature's race/gender selection in the "Create Creature" menu of the arena interface, which meant that selecting those would always have to be done manually. The "Filter" command in the Create Creature interface in the DF2014 arena seems to provide a way around this.

This means that I could conceivably have the site generate a single macro that could create an entire team at once, which was impossible with the older versions. This would require the site to make some assumptions regarding team's starting formation, so it would know whom to place where.

For example, if, say, fighter 1 is a minotaur axeman, fighter 2 is a troll swordsman, and fighters 3, 4, and 5 are all kobold archers, and they start in the left corner like so (where W represents the wall at the arena's edge), you'd probably arrange them all something like this at the start of a fight:

pre:
 W
 W
WW
W41
W3
W52
WW
 W
 W
I think that generating each of these fighters in their respective starting locations, and assigning them all to the same team, can probably be done with a single macro. I'll need to do a bit more testing to be sure. If I'm right about all this, then maybe teams could be allowed to rearrange their starting formations within certain predefined limits -- but I don't want to make things too complicated.

Another thing I've found while testing in the arena is that armor layering seems to have changed in DF2014. At the very least, it looks like there's no more wearing a cap underneath a helm anymore, but you can still wear a mail shirt under a breastplate. I'll need to do more testing to figure out how this is going to impact things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Double post:

Fighter macros for DF2014 appear to be working now! I was able to use macros to simulate another fight between Horza and Stranglelove on DF2014. Stranglelove won it fairly easily, in no small part because of Horza leaving his adamantine helm on the ground when he couldn't layer it over his steel cap. Stranglelove was being generated as a "Legendary Climber", which appears to be due to the line [NATURAL_SKILL:CLIMBING:15] for stranglers in the DF2014 raws. I'm not sure if I want to keep natural skills in the version to be used for the next tournament.

The site-generated macros will now select a fighter's race and gender, which couldn't be done with older versions of DF.

I noticed that werewolves are gone entirely from the arena options in DF2014, and it looks like they were already gone in DF2012 as well (the last tournament was running DF2010). That's probably due to the way that lycanthropy and were-creatures were reworked back in DF2012. I think I'll just mod them back in as a non-lycanthropic race with their old stats, or whatever is as close to their old stats as I can come up with on the new version. Or maybe we should just retire them from the arena, but I'd kind of like to keep them since they were always fairly popular.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So how long until the fights are run completely automatically and a bot posts the fight log along with a recorded video? Also some auto-generated commentary would be great.

I mean seriously, get your poo poo together, you slackard.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
^^^This brings up a good point.

Any way to set me up as a testing commissioner or whatever it is called?

Don't even know if you guys want me to run fights, I am not particularly funny and barely understand dwarf fortress mechanics.

But I have lots of time, so I could run them almost any weekday, or do like 50 in a single day if no one bugs me at work.

gently caress, I could run my own mini-tournament (week start to finish or something) with the standard df2014 raws (or whatever the files you edit are called) to see if there are any hilarious bugs. If you wanted me to of course.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Bad Munki posted:

So how long until the fights are run completely automatically and a bot posts the fight log along with a recorded video? Also some auto-generated commentary would be great.

I mean seriously, get your poo poo together, you slackard.

I've given some thought to that. When I get to it, I'd ideally like for it to be done server-side, so the commissioner just tells the site to run the next fight and it happens.

As far as auto-generated commentary, I've only gotten as far as parsing the gamelog to generate a basic summary. Any generated commentary seems to get repetitive really fast, like the Oblivion background conversations or that Skyrim "arrow-in-the-knee" nonsense.

Spermy Smurf posted:

Any way to set me up as a testing commissioner or whatever it is called?

gently caress, I could run my own mini-tournament (week start to finish or something) with the standard df2014 raws (or whatever the files you edit are called) to see if there are any hilarious bugs. If you wanted me to of course.

Once I have the site set up to have multiple leagues, I'll set up a second, "unofficial" league for testing, and we could probably do something like that using the second league. Until then, I thought about giving out access to the development server, but for now I'm constantly wiping and reloading the database on that thing so there probably woudn't be any point.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jazzimus Prime posted:

As far as auto-generated commentary, I've only gotten as far as parsing the gamelog to generate a basic summary. Any generated commentary seems to get repetitive really fast, like the Oblivion background conversations or that Skyrim "arrow-in-the-knee" nonsense.

Just run it through one of those automatic scientific paper generators, wham bam.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Jazzimus Prime posted:

I've given some thought to that. When I get to it, I'd ideally like for it to be done server-side, so the commissioner just tells the site to run the next fight and it happens.

Is this even possible? This is some kind of wizardry.

God drat.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well, realistically speaking, there is that terminal-based DF, if that ever got updated, it'd be a (relative) cinch to make the basics happen.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
As I recall, Voxmod tournament removed all innate skills from our playable races by design

I can't recall what the logic was and there's no telling if four years of Dwarf Fortress design may have changed how things work.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!

ZeeToo posted:

As I recall, Voxmod tournament removed all innate skills from our playable races by design

I can't recall what the logic was and there's no telling if four years of Dwarf Fortress design may have changed how things work.
The logic was that minotaurs and the like were starting with a few points in combat stats, which was a horrendously unfair advantage.

Some of the weapon stuff voxmod did (like stopping whips and flails from being tiny supersonic hammers and butchering everything) might have been fixed by now, but this is what testing is for. As was mentioned, the main DF thread would be your go to with tweaking this stuff.

On the topic of comissioners, I'd be willing to help run and write up fights, assuming my workload doesn't become ridiculous in september.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Sorry for the lack of updates recently, real-life has been pretty busy lately. Good news is, DF2014 is approaching something playable in the arena, instead of having axe- and sword-wielders try to punch each other to death.

Maybe in two or three weeks we can run a mini-tournament to start to test things out. This wouldn't be the official tournament, and winning wouldn't count for anything, but anyone who's up for it would be welcome to participate.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
I don't want to get ahead of myself here... but the code for multiple leagues is almost finished, and I'll need to do a little testing of a few things after that...

... but maybe we could do that mini-tournament in about a week? I don't know if 32 people are still following this thread, but that would be enough to test some of the team stuff. Even 24 participants might be enough to make it work.

There wouldn't be effortpost writeups for this one; this would just be you all helping me test some things with the new version and the website updates.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I'll bet 32 people will come out of the woodwork before next week.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

ZeeToo posted:

I'll bet 32 people will come out of the woodwork before next week.

If not, I'll try crossposting in the Games thread.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What'll be involved?

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

SynthOrange posted:

What'll be involved?

Just create a new fighter and have him or her join the tournament for the new Test League. Once the tournament is full, you'll be randomly assigned teammates. I'll change how this works for the official tournament (for that you'll be able to create your fighter after you've joined, so that you can collaborate with your teammates), but this should be sufficient for the "test" tournament.

Once underway, it will use a shorter World Cup style schedule rather than the longer NFL style schedule. The commissioners will able to run fights if they wish. At the end of each round we'll write up a summary of what happened that round in this thread, before moving on to the next round.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh hey I still have a password that works. Let us know when the test tourney is up.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

SynthOrange posted:

Oh hey I still have a password that works. Let us know when the test tourney is up.

I'll announce it in this thread; probably this coming weekend if everything works out like I think it should.

EDIT: AND IF YOU'VE REGISTERED AT THE ARENA CHALLENGE SITE BUT DON'T HAVE A PASSWORD THAT WORKS... just let me know in the Tech Support Thread and we'll take care of that for you.

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 4, 2014

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
I'm of the belief that it is a sin to delete any and all bookmarks, so I'll be around for the test-tourney. After all, got to keep my "skills" sharp.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah me too, my skills.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I'm always happy to help.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I'm in.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I even remember my password this time.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Shiniest fish in the sea!
I am happy to help. This new tournament format sounds really fun!

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I will be around to help however you want. Running fights, being a punching bag, whatever.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I'm up for both testing and running the occasional fight.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I'd love to participate in this.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I shall have my man engage enemy men in glorious combat

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I can help provide prospects for the arena grinder.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I look forward to sending a fresh fighter.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

It's been far too long since I got to send someone to their death in the arena.

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

More like Prince Alarming
Been following and enjoying this for months hoping to jump on during the next tournament. I'm in.

EDIT: Or test tournament, I'll take what I can get!

Fumbles
Mar 22, 2013

Can I get a reroll?

I know absolutely NOTHING about Dwarf Fortress but I have read all these tournament threads. Count me in! I'll sign up on the thing right away.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

I am down with this!

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
In order to get the test tournament started as quickly as possible, Werewolf fighters will not be allowed to participate in the test tournament.

The reason for this is because of how lycanthropy was revamped in the previous major release of Dwarf Fortress, meaning that werewolves were no longer a race as such in the DF raw files (instead, they're humans or dwarves or whatever which happen to have wolf-type lycanthropy). Old-style werewolves could be modded back in, which is what I intend to do, but that will take more time.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

I'm not sure we need warewolves except for Tradition purposes. Tigermen had the same basic stats and size, so could still serve as a stand-in.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I am hella down for chopping up some dwarves.

Jazzimus you are a saint for working on this so long and diligently.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Holy poo poo I finally caught up and it's in time for all this. I'm in, even though I have no god drat clue what the new release is like beyond terrifying.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It is terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
The test tournament is very close to being ready. I have some real-life stuff coming up the next couple of days, but we should be able to kick it off this coming Friday.

Since there seems to be a lot of interest in the test tournament, I'll expand the number of participants to 48. There will be 16 teams of three fighters each, and your teammates will be randomly assigned.

All the code and data model changes are in place to support multiple leagues and multiple commissioners. There's still a little bit more testing on my end that I want to finish before we get started.

:siren:Some rule changes for the test tournament::siren:

Werewolves aren't allowed to participate since we can't currently create them in the DF2014 arena.

Slade is back on the materials list! It's stupidly heavy and expensive as poo poo and probably not worth it, but if you really want a slade hammer and can afford it, go for it.

Item Cost Modifiers by Race are now a thing. Larger races now pay significantly more for armor, on top of the fact that the larger races start off with fewer points to spend to begin with!

Misc Object Skill (picks, etc.) is more expensive now. It's now the most expensive skill of all, at a cost of 35*(skill_level) per incremental point.

• Locked thread