Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Shhhhhhhhhh!

(Edit) Oh er content for new page... I should be able to run a fight tomorrow if there are any left. Failing that, Sunday if the new round has started by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Shiniest fish in the sea!
:siren: Test Tournament 2, Week 1, Match 7 :siren:

On the left, Menacing Lack of Spikes, featuring from top to bottom: EmbodiedPrincipleOfPerfection the Ant Woman managed by ZeeToo, Tomoe Gozen the Human managed by Tarezax, Atom the Gremlin managed by Supradog and Caffeinequaffer the Dwarf managed by Podima.

On the right, Oscar Pistorius's gun club, featuring from top to bottom: It Ain't Ogre 'til it's Snogre the Yeti managed by Locomotive breath, Just a Prick the Kobold managed by Duckaerobics, Karl the Human managed by Maarak and hambeaten the Dwarf managed by matthew beet.

Let the second to the last arena match of the round commence!

The match opens with a mechanical *chunk* noise as a bolt from Caffeinequaffer's crossbow catapults across the arena. The bolt finds its home in It Ain't Ogre 'til it's Snogre's guts! The Yeti does not look well!

The remaining uninjured fighters meet in the center of the arena and square off. After a few failed attacks Tomoe Gozen solidly connects with Just a Prick's left leg! The halberd cuts deep and the Kobold falls to the ground. *Chunk* and another bolt shoots into the arena. The bolt makes it a couple yards before Tomoe Gozen stabs Just a Prick in the spleen, causing him to lose consciousness. A few more yards and EmbodiedPrincipleOfPerfection stabs Just a Prick in the head. One more yard and Tomoe Gozen finishes off Just a Prick by severing his head from his body. First kill goes to Tomoe Gozen!

The bolt snaps against the wall. Karl starts to charge towards Atom but hambeaten attacks the Gremlin first, causing it to jump away. In a stunning display of incompetence Karl continues charging and neither tries to stop nor veer to one side! Karl and hambeaten collide and fall to the ground together in a clump. Tomoe Gozen takes advantage of the mishap by removing Karl's right arm from his body.

hambeaten is shaken at what just happened but stands up and rejoins the fray. Meanwhile EmbodiedPrincipleOfPerfection has stabbed It Ain't Ogre 'til it's Snogre's right leg, causing the great beast to fall over unconscious! Tomoe Gozen steals any chance of glory from the Ant Woman by quickly decapitating It Ain't Ogre 'til it's Snogre.

Tomoe Gozen scratches out one of Karl's teeth and, while distracted, EmbodiedPrincipleOfPerfection stabs off the Human's left hand! A dagger clangs to the floor. Tomoe Gozen slashes one of Karl's toes and Atom jumps up to meet the Human's head and kicks a tooth out of his mouth! hambeaten gets back in the mix by slicing off one of EmbodiedPrincipleOfPerfection's left hands! A spear clatters to the floor. Another *chunk* is heard and a half-second later a bolt hits Karl, only causing bruises. hambeaten makes his second move by slashing Tomoe Gozen in the left leg, bringing her to the ground. Atom lashes Karl in the chest, bruising a lung! hambeaten makes yet another successful connection by spilling EmbodiedPrincipleOfPerfection's guts with a stab to the Ant Woman's abdomen. The Ant Woman responds by stabbing the Dwarf in the left foot, causing him to fall. Another *chunk*, another bolt in Karl. This one bruises Karl's ribs. The wounds are beginning to stack up on Karl and he isn't looking too good.

Indeed after a few more rounds of exertion, including a punch to the kidney that EmbodiedPrincipleOfPerfection delivered to hambeaten, Karl bleeds too much blood and his body shuts down. As this kill was caused by bleeding I will award the kill to whoever caused the largest amount of it, in this case it was Tomoe Gozen for chopping off Karl's right arm earlier.

Atom attempts an attack on hambeaten, and while he does miss, he succeeds in getting the Dwarf to roll into attack range of Tomoe Gozen. EmbodiedPrincipleOfPerfection stabs hambeaten in the neck, bruising the upper spine. Tomoe Gozen slashes hambeaten's lungs while EmbodiedPrincipleOfPerfection stabs off his right hand. The Dwarf falls unconscious. Tomoe Gozen, ever the efficient gladiator, decapitates hambeaten immediately.

Score: Menacing Lack of Spikes - 4, Oscar Pistorius's gun club - 0

Kills: Tomoe Gozen - 4

Combat Log

Lessons learned: Crossbows are fairly effective, watch out for women with Halberds.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Special mention should go to "It Ain't Ogre 'til it's Snogre" for the most ridiculous name that made me giggle.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Well, Tomoe Gozen certainly lives up to her name.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:toot: That's a relief - I was worried after the earlier match! Go team!

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

Good lord, Tomoe wasn't even enraged, she was just awesome.

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010
Well, that sure was a fight alright. And I made Spermy laugh too! Talk about insult to injury.

Real talk though I think yetis might be kinda bad. :v:

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Well, that was beautifully one-sided. :toot: My thanks go out to my teammates who all helped contribute to our victory scheme.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Locomotive breath posted:

Real talk though I think yetis might be kinda bad. :v:

I disagree.

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010

my dad posted:

I disagree.

BUT MY YETI WAS BAD THEREFORE YETIS BAD.

YETI BAD.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

my dad posted:

I disagree.

:eyepop: Holy poo poo.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008

my dad posted:

I disagree.

Considering every team with a Yeti so far has lost the first round, I'm not so sure it matters how much punch they have. Don't worry though, this last match guarantees a Yeti will win at least one round.

BUT MY YETI WAS BAD THEREFORE YETIS BAD.

YETI BAD.

Well I mean your Yeti got gut shot immediately, so it's kind of hard to tell if he would have been effective or not.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

my dad posted:

I disagree.

Yeah, yetis are not bad. They just aren't particularly effective after they've been gut-shot.

A yeti just needs to start his assault before he gets chewed up. Kinda like the little guys, except on the small end you're relying on massive numbers of points while a giant needs to use his bulk and strength.

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010
Yeaaah, true. Probably should have invested in armor that's better than copper, in retrospect. But I needed points for killing things too! Also I thought I read something years ago about armor in big guys being somewhat more durable due to their size or something like that? I could definitely be remembering that incorrectly though.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Well that's no way to get ahead.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Yeaaah, true. Probably should have invested in armor that's better than copper, in retrospect. But I needed points for killing things too! Also I thought I read something years ago about armor in big guys being somewhat more durable due to their size or something like that? I could definitely be remembering that incorrectly though.

Copper mail is an OK-ish investment for minotaurs, trolls and yetis, since at the very least it's thick enough to protect them from guys trying to slash their body with non-adamantine daggers, sharp scourge damage, and the like. You just got unlucky, like my gremlin did in our round.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Copper armor can be pretty good. A bronze bolt is not going to be stopped by it, but it can be fairly effective against melee weapons.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008

my dad posted:

You just got unlucky, like my gremlin did in our round.

You did not get unlucky. You got shot, got half your body chopped off and still killed a Tiger Man before you bled out. I think Gremlins might actually be very good, at least in team matches.

That's what I've taken from these two tournaments so far at least.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
A tournament where every fighter gets exactly the same number of points, but some get multiple copies.

So you have X points to buy skills and items, but if you're a gremlin you get four, where there's three dwarfs, a pair of tigermen, or only a single yeti.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Silverminnow posted:

I think Gremlins might actually be very good, at least in team matches.

Hehehe, I've been saying that since the first test tournament started.

my dad posted:

Well, there's one experiment result I'm willing to share with everyone. It looks like the rules of this tournament provide a massive nerf to big guys. Big guys rely on knocking down smaller opponents and stomping them into the curb while they're defenseless. With 3 people on each side, unless the big guys can kill the guy on the ground really fast, there will always be someone capable of striking back with something choppy/stabby/smashy.

Which is why I chose a gremlin this time.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008

goatface posted:

A tournament where every fighter gets exactly the same number of points, but some get multiple copies.

Good god, a team of 16 Gremlins.

my dad posted:

Hehehe, I've been saying that since the first test tournament started.

Which is why I chose a gremlin this time.

I must have missed this, but yes it looks like you are completely correct. What could we do to help out the big guys without making them too powerful though?

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Yeesh, that went even worse than Karl's namesake:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KhygzMwmt4

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Silverminnow posted:

I must have missed this, but yes it looks like you are completely correct. What could we do to help out the big guys without making them too powerful though?

Remove the striking skill penalty, for starters. It's not a viable build in the long-term anyway, but big buys certainly don't need to be nerfed further.

I don't think big guys actually need a lot of balancing to stay competitive. They have a role, they just need support and some thought given to their build. Size gives a direct bonus to all attack related rolls, so they can reliably keep up with smaller guys, even with less points. Their main issue is that just getting a non-lovely weapon takes away almost a third of their points. Maybe give them an initial boost to their point count? Like, have the boost equal to their armor cost penalty. Yetis starting with 1350 points instead of 900, then getting 900 if they pass, and 600 for further matches, would probably go a long way towards making them viable.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
yetis are actually good as hell as long as you assume direct control. nothing like grabbing an antwoman by the arm, throwing her, and watching her head skid across the arena floor and explode

or pinching a kobold in the upper body and collapsing it into a lump of gore

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

Silverminnow posted:

Lessons learned: Crossbows are fairly effective.

I Brother Boccob respectfully disagrees.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Yetis are actually pretty great in my testing and looking at the code. Size counts for basically everything - it's not just the charge/prone.

Your armour is thicker, your weapons are bigger, you have more momentum on your attacks, etc.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Most of the Yeti's have been having a bad run of luck sustaining severe injuries in the early exchanges of their matches. Yetti Page of Habeas Corpses for example suffered a severed motor nerve in the foot in the first round of attacks that left him prone for the rest of the match. Another lost a foot relatively early on with the same result.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Pickled Tink posted:

Most of the Yeti's have been having a bad run of luck sustaining severe injuries in the early exchanges of their matches. Yetti Page of Habeas Corpses for example suffered a severed motor nerve in the foot in the first round of attacks that left him prone for the rest of the match. Another lost a foot relatively early on with the same result.

And in the most recent fight the yeti was nauseated/in pain from the initial crossbow shot, both of which incur huge penalties to combat rolls.

So yeah I think it's fair to say we haven't seen them performing at potential.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Jack the Lad posted:

Your armour is thicker, your weapons are bigger, you have more momentum on your attacks, etc.

I thought this too but a few of the commissioners say weapons are all the same size.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Spermy Smurf posted:

I thought this too but a few of the commissioners say weapons are all the same size.

Yup. Evidence: http://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/view_items_by_race.php

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Spermy Smurf posted:

You're quite right, my bad. I think I was getting mixed up with weapon use.

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.
GRRR. YETI STAB.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

The last match of the round will be up tonight! Stay tuned!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Good, then we can finally get back to the important stuff. Namely, MY team.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

Good, then we can finally get back to the important stuff. Namely, MY team.

You mean MY team.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That's what I said, MY team.

wtf is wrong with you

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

VladTheEater posted:

GRRR. YETI STAB.

First of all, this is absolutely hilarious. :D

Second, I think it would be interesting to point out that DF Yetis aren't actually all that enormous. Size represents volume in DF, so height is going to scale with the cubic root of it. If humans are size 70, (and let's assume that the average adult human being is 165cm tall, taking both men and women into account) and Yetis size 270, the average Yeti is around 260cm. (probably shorter, since they're usually pictured as bulky creatures)

So, they're certainly huge by our standards, but still quite a bit shorter than a pike.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
What are those measurements in real numbers instead of that mumbo jumbo deciliter bullshit?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
8 foot and a bit. Maybe two dwarf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Yeah, the OP has some helpful comparison graphics.

• Locked thread