Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I'm putting in a Kobold in case it turns out to be 128. Kobolds have yet to win any tourneys, but I can still hope! My theory is to try sword and board... well, dagger and board anyway. It MIGHT let me win... the first round... perhaps?

Picked a name from the Kobold language by pulling up a Kobold adventurer and hitting random a couple times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Testing is showing that a sword and board kobold has about as much survival chance as a month old mayfly in an artic snowstorm. I'm actually pretty disappointed. I wonder if the tiny-size discount could apply to melee weapons in addition to dodging... or just give them more points.

I know, I know, I'm whining, but the concept would have been cool if it could work. In the event the rules stay the same, I'll be looking into ranged options.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I'll assign points to Smatru once I can find a kobold build that can even scratch the most basic of human builds.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Battle Royale, Iunnrais, Crotch Rot, 100

Go Team Kobold!

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Some interesting findings. Spoiled for those who don't believe in testing.

It seems that a basic Human Swordsman, without armor, sword skill 7 alone, can defeat ANY and ALL kobolds with a sword and board, even with all relevant skills set to grandmaster, WELL above the point limit. And by any and all, I mean that the one adept human swordsman can slaughter 50 grandmaster melee kobolds in a row, if only 1 at a time.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Hm.... I'll grant that after the first dead kobold, I didn't reset the arena, so there might have been odd numbers involved. I just know that I plopped down 50 of 'em in a row, and even when one of them sliced open the human's lower body about halfway through, that human STILL killed 'em all.

*testing*

Bingo! Odd squares, adept human wins. Even, (such as in the proper starting lineup) grandmaster kobold wins. Wow, I thought you were kidding about the Patented Fairfight(tm) technology! 10 squares really, REALLY matters.

Maybe, just maybe, I can find a melee kobold that's competition worthy after all.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I'm about to give up and just leave my barely tested bowbold build in place. I've managed to find a couple melee kobold builds that can survive against the basic human swordsman 1 time in 7, maybe 1 in 6, but I can't seem to do better than that.

The trick is that you need to both have sufficient skill to not be parried in the first strike, and sufficient defenses-- either in shield skill or dodging, with preference for dodging --to not be killed on the first counterattack. It's a careful balance, and certain thresholds need to be met. Basically, there's just not enough points to manage it consistently enough.

For the next tourney, I'm going to campaign for giving tiny races a discount for weapon/shield skills, just like they get for dodging. Alternatively, just increase their points across the board (allowing better equipment, for example).

Iunnrais fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 28, 2011

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I promise you, despite testing, Smatru is probably going to die anyway.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Smatru is up against a minotaur. Ooooooh boy.

Smatru isn't a dwarf. Smatru doesn't even speak dwarven. Heck, Smatru doesn't even speak coherantly! But if he could, he'd recite the traditional dwarven proverb, "When his hands are higher than your head, his groin is level with your teeth"

Go get 'em little guy!

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
No, but testing has shown that Smatru doesn't care if he's skilled in biting or not to try.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
That's interesting... if thought betting again adds an additional bet instead of overriding your original... I bet on both Dies Horribly AND Gamefan, and yet only my bet for Gamefan is listed.

Darnit.

All my small bets are winning, all my larger bets are losing.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Given that it's a moot point for this tourney, as the knowledge is only a mystery for the first round anyway, I support showing weapon data for future first rounds-- simply in order to put the first rounds in the same betting league as subsequent rounds.

I mean-- just look at the Dies Horribly fight. Merely knowing what Dies Horribly had been able to do once before created thousands of dwarfbucks of bets on BOTH SIDES.

In fact, I wouldn't mind if this extra data was available for the first round ONLY, meaning that upgraded equipment in future rounds could still be held at a mystery, given that at the very least we've seen what they've done once before.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I know the feeling. My Smatru is also coming right up... possibly in the next set, but possibly not, depending on whether he does two or three next post.

I'm certainly worried. I have a very... shall we say, unbalanced build. It can work, but after learning a bit more, I think I could have done it better... we'll see.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Come on Kobolds! You can do it!!

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Discovered after the choices were locked in, I think Smatru's downfall was going Grandmaster Archer... but entirely neglecting Bowman. In all honesty, I didn't even see that it was an option.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
My new strategy of "Bet on the guy SynthOrange bet against" is starting to pay off! Granted, I should probably start upping my bets past 10 each now...

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Well, so far I've made a slight profit at betting. I'm putting that profit towards increasing my bet against SynthOrange.

Awaiting more updates...

Hm. Given how slow things are updating here, what are the chances someone could run a mini-event alongside this one? Not tournament style, but perhaps something like a classical 5-man adventuring party could be created and set against various challenges, where people could bet for or against the party as a whole (and the members individually for survival order in case of failure) when set against dragons, collossi, various modded critters from the 12bay forums, in slightly more dangerous arenas where dodging the wrong way or getting knocked back might mean drowning or burning...

Of course, it'd have to be done with the approval of the site owner, and it'd have to be limited so as not to distract from the main even TOO much.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
More than 2-to-1 payouts... nice. Wish I'd bet more than I did! Well, better spread my newfound 109.08 dwarfbucks on MORE BETTING.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
On the other hand, necromantic power might be viable for purchase, given that it wouldn't provide any advantage except in Free-For-All battles and in the cases where a limb gets hacked off. In which case the necromancer still has to hack off the limb first!

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Sibling of TB posted:

With that I have won more than I started with on bets.

That's because you've started taking my money! :argh:

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
When this is over, I think I'm going to run a team-melee with the 1st Round Losers (the winners) matched up in a series of exhibition fights versus a series of monstrous beasts that far outclass them.

Pity betting is disabled for these side fights... the betting is half the fun!

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I've been doing terribly this betting round, but you know what? 200 on Mustache Billy. It's practically 2:1 odds right now!

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Got my bets in. I want to see the new tourney for the new version, particularly since multi-limbed creatures such as antwomen will get a huge boost in their AI, but the various other combat changes should be interesting too.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Holy Crap. Junai's match put me in the top five richest bettors!

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Holy crap I did NOT expect this! Wow! Awesome match!

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Ignite Memories posted:

I'm getting so pumped for this. My brain says barrelbum, but my heart says dr stranglelove. A finals match with the two of them would make my day.

You think Barrelbum can defeat Dies Horribly? Even after you just saw what Dies Horribly did to the LAST Tigerman contestant? And you realize that Dies Horribly gets to upgrade more than Barrelbum does...

Granted, I know that Barrelbum might not get matched with Dies Horribly, but still. Either Barrelbum will encounter Dies, or he'll encounter someone that managed to kill Dies. I just can't see it.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I think Dies Horribly will win, but I can't pass up those odds. 500 on Roctavian!

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
This next fight is going to be glorious. So many dorfbucks riding on this...

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Awww, sad to see you go Dies. You were the hope for the little people (read: not minotaurs/trolls)!

That said... making money! Woo! 3rd on the rankings!

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
My usual strategy is to bet against the odds, just to make the payout bigger on the off chance (and it's paid off often enough to be worth it). But Adamantine Armor vs a Werewolf? I have to go all in on the Adamantine, despite the lower payout. To make up for it, I'll reserve 1000 of my cash to bet on roctavian for the payout.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

I do want a stake in both matches, and together, I'm betting the farm. Come on, give me a break...

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Dangit. Everything is riding on Stranglelove now...

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
WOO! I bet everything on Stranglelove, and it paid off! WOO!

Really nerve wrecking with that early stun...

EDIT: How do you sever limbs with a pick? Don't picks do small area piercing damage?

Iunnrais fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 2, 2014

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Did the 3rd place fighters get to upgrade? This may influence my bet.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
The odds are... somewhat stacked, I noticed. But while I might normally bet based on the odds alone, based on fight history, I can't bet anywhere but on the favorites.

That said, if the odds get bucked, at this moment, Jazzimus is going to get a several THOUSAND to one return on his investment of 23 dwarfbucks.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I'd even say make an equivalent of the "Salt Mines" from salty bet. A minimum balance that people cannot go below, so that you can always bet SOMETHING. Get more people participating.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
C'mon! We need to get some dwarfbucks moving! Preferably upwards, as I see all the wealthiest bettors (myself included) are betting on the same side... so lets see that oligarchy get reinforced further!

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Podima posted:

:toot: More than doubled my bet on that round! Shame about your dorfbucks, Iunnrais/ZeeToo.

That was my low bet for the finals. As long as Dr. Stranglelove hasn't sold off his adamantine equipment between rounds, I feel pretty confident that my giant pile of money is still safe.

*weeps* 2000 dwarfbucks!

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
When the next tournament begins, the new version will be out, with all its landspeed/actionspeed split goodness. I'll bet the tournament will have to be significantly rebalanced anyway at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
ROOT FOR THE BLUE! MAGIC ARMOR FOR THE WIN! WOOOOOO!!!!!!

• Locked thread