Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Shiniest fish in the sea!
Awesome, actually made it in this one! Though I have to think I wont get as lucky as I did with Drub in ZeeToo's tournament. By the way you don't get any points to spend on your fighter until the tournament has actually started right? Or did I just royally screw myself by registering before buying anything? It says I have 0 points to spend if that matters.

Never mind, actually read the Tech Support FAQ dealy.

Silverminnow fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jul 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Got my guy geared and skilled. Ready to be slaughtered mercilessly in the first round!

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Battle Royale, Silverminnow, Binary Mary, 250

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
drat, picked the wrong ant. Was certainly funny to see I lost the bet in the very first attack of the round though! Good luck in the tournament proper Rickvoid, and congratulations on your victory!

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Fairly sure I read close to the end of the last thread that heavy bolts/arrows were better than hard materials. But I guess that's not true anymore? When did that get fixed? Well I suppose if I make it through the first round I will have to make some changes.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

The better "edged" materials are superior for bolts/arrows. It used to be that pretty much any material would cut through armor like butter, but arrows and bolts were nerfed somewhat in the most recent arena build.

Ah, that makes sense. I must have missed the changes while I was switching builds around like a madman. Oh well, like I said if I somehow survive this round I can fix things easily enough.

Also yeah it took me a moment to realize "archer" was basically the "fighting" of the ranged weapons and was wondering how I was able to get Grandmaster for so cheap. But I (somewhat) fixed it before the tournament went live.

It is interesting seeing all of the mistakes I have made already before my fight even happens.

edit: Good god there are still 30 whole fights before mine. I wonder if I'll get to see it before winter break? :shobon:

Silverminnow fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 23, 2011

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Sent a Molemarian in, hopefully not too late!

fake edit: Holy crap you updated that post fast!

Also a preemptive thanks for running this, the more fights in this thread the better in my opinion.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Looks like there's a pretty decent spread of weapons in this one. I am freaking out over possibly facing a Troll with an adamantine battleaxe though, good god.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
drat, I guess I should have just not even bothered with the shield and just gone full hammer skill like in the last mini tournament I was in. Or maybe just grabbed some gauntlets, whoops. Congrats to Bene Elim! I am now hoping for you to win it all, do not let me down!

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Yeah not gonna lie, I was basically hoping that I would get a lucky shot off or at least hold off blows long enough with the steel mail to get a debilitating shot off. Of course I wasn't expecting to face off against another ranged fighter in the first round and if I had known that arrows had changed from wanting heavy metal to hard metal I might have done better. I figure I'd have about a 50/50 chance in this fight honestly, even with the pathetically low bow skill. Even so, well(?) fought Dallbun, here's to hoping you make it all the way to the top!

Here are Bowflex's stats:

Equipment:
Silver Bow (whoops)
Steel Mail Shirt (long term investment)

Skills:
Archery(1) Novice
Bow(5) Proficient
Dodging(2) Adequate

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Aye, my kobold is ready too! I sent it via e-mail. Can't wait for this to start up!
Thanks ZeeToo.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Man I'm really surprised that a steel warhammer and that many points in skills didn't just straight up kill me within those first two hits. And then more surprised that I didn't accidentally kill my opponent when it ended up taking so long for me to die. Somehow I don't think I'm gonna come out on top of this though!

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
drat, guess I was potentially wrong on my guess who would "win" this whole thing too with one of the two adamantine bowbolds being taken out already. Still rooting for Munki though!

Anyway my strategy was basically to use silver armor so that most weapons would be able to pierce/smash their way through, though platinum edged weapons still couldn't I see. I made sure my hands couldn't be lopped off with adamantine gauntlets since I didn't want my kobold to suddenly be able to do some kind of damage with unarmed attacks. The rest of the adamantine were point loss items that I kinda just hoped wouldn't come back to bite me in the rear end. I knew that having a high weapon skill, even with a platinum weapon, would guarantee a "loss" for me.

I think my mistake was assuming platinum would be able to cut through silver, and also caring too much about my hands, if one were lopped off I probably would have bled out anyway. I probably would have done better layering adamantine in the chest area and putting wood or leather everywhere else to maximize extremity loss. Also should have dual-wielded platinum weapons like my competition here instead of just the long sword.

Anyway congratulations Klokwurk on the victory! This should end up being a very interesting tournament, can't wait to see more.

Edit: Oh right, I think the best part about Kobald was that he was apparently a dentist in his past life. Either that or he really hated teeth for some reason.

Silverminnow fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Mar 2, 2012

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Wow, that last battle was a lot bloodier than I thought it would be considering we had the two worst fighters in the tournament duking it out. Still though it was an amazing fight and I had thought my initial bet would be wrong as soon as Disco connected with all three shots he had, that was a really good setup though Munki. Either way though I would have been happy, either my opponent or a build I thought would win would have won, and it was a ridiculously close battle until the bow disarm. Fun tournament ZeeToo, I hope we have more gimmicky tournaments like this in the future!

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
I am glad this is back. Thank you Jazzimus.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
That was a pretty close one. Good fight, good commentating and good luck starting up a new business as well!

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Holy poo poo. Can anybody that knows how the game mechanics work say just how lucky Horza was there?

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
This makes me happy. I kinda messed up pretty bad on this tournament and would like to give it another shot. Jazzimus has been doing a great job with the remainder of this tournament but having a bunch of people run fights would make things interesting. Hopefully if we get enough people writing matches we can get tournaments done in a fairly quick pace as well. Maybe somebody could run a smallish tournament to bridge the time between this one ending and the new one beginning? This is assuming that Jazzimus is okay with it of course. I know ZeeToo ran a fun mini tournament before (and I'm not just saying that because I won it).

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Now roctavian stands back up, but Horza tries to chop off his tail from the ground with her axe! But the serpent man leaps back just in time!

drat troll trying to get in on the action!

Seriously though I thought for sure Roctavian was dead after the hand loss and then again after the charge. Awesome fight.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
This was really fun to read from beginning to end, thanks for finishing the tournament Jazzimus. I also look forward to the next one whenever that will come to pass.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
I am happy to help. This new tournament format sounds really fun!

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Johnny Bravo has entered the fray!

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008

Haystack posted:

Silverminnow, Ablative. My fellow team 16-ers. We need to talk. Specifically, we need to talk about what we're gonna name our team, because that is a thing that we can do. I suggest Team Sexting, because I am mentally twelve.

Oh, also I guess we should coordinate builds a little bit. Want to do that over emails?

I don't really care what our team name is, yours sounds fine.

Here are a few more names to think on: Sixteen Scandals, Perfect Squares, Horribly Average

My e-mail is mercuryminnow@gmail.com if you and Ablative wanna talk any kind of strategy or more about names.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008

Awesome! I think that means our team is ready for Monday now.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008

Anchors posted:

Congrats to Silverminnow for jumping up to number one in the betting rankings with this match. Going to be hard to top those gains.

Thanks man! Though I'm sure we will see plenty of surprises that make people far more dwarf bucks in the future.

That said congratulations to Little Guys Long Spears! I have a feeling you'll go far in this test tournament.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Dammit Johnny Bravo! He hit Van Winkle in the spine twice with his warhammer and still failed to cripple him.

I'd say we (and by we I mean Willow/Ablative) did pretty drat well considering we were up against a minotaur and a troll.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008

Haystack posted:

Aw man. Urist got in some good solid hits, but prancer just wouldn't go down. It's hard to hack through a minotaur, apparently :(

Yeah those big guys can sure take a beating. Even so I'd like to congratulate The Ugly Ones for their victory and I hope to see you do well. I have high hopes for our team in the future too! This has been a neat tournament altogether so far. I find it a little surprising that so many teams are winning 3-0 though.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008

Spermy Smurf posted:

Tanks certainly have their place here.

Yeah this makes me wonder if it would have even been better for me to go full steel armor and a shield and have lovely skills just so I could keep somebody busy for a while. This is the kind of stuff that has me excited for the new thread! With so many different tournaments going on I'll be able to test a bunch of things in a fun way.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008

Jazzimus Prime posted:

I propose that just for this test tournament, we give them each an extra 750 dwarfbucks to bet with! But you can all override this decision... what say you?

Let's give them some dwarfbucks! It's more fun with more people betting anyway.

I'm also debating running fights as I have a bunch of free time in at least the near future and it doesn't look too demanding.

Silverminnow fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Aug 15, 2014

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
If for whatever reason the commissioners can't run their two fights I would be willing to. I won't do the Bronzestabbed division fights as my team is in it though.

I imagine with multiple commissioners it doesn't really matter what order the fights are done?

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Right now the site automatically selects the next fight for them.

Ah okay. It just seems to make sense if you are assigning specific fights to specific commissioners to allow all of those fights to be run right away. This would help alleviate any lull in between fights caused by commissioners being unavailable for a few days or whatever.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008

Flamester posted:

I am the richest at the moment, with over 3000 Dorfbucks. Looks like I finally beat silverminnow with that last match.

Congrats! You'll either be even more ahead of the pack or behind again after the next match! Ah the life of betting on imaginary arena battles.

As a side note, c'mon Little Guys Long Spears! You got this!

Also my team I guess.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008

Silverminnow posted:

Little Guys Long Spears! You got this!

Dammit Little Guys Long Spears! That should plummet me down the betting pool enough that I wont be able to hit the top again!

Cool fight though, and yeah I like the bold and italics idea as well.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008

Bene Elim posted:

Combat Log Recommended reading for Johnny's treatment of Zwinglette

My... My God. I've created a monster!

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008

King Cohort posted:

The hilarious speed at which volunteer commissioners get matches done very much outweighs any concerns I have about any acquired meta-knowledge. (So long as nobody runs their own fights, of course.)

Yeah we are going to fly through tournaments in the new thread at this rate. Jazzimus, is there any way you could add me as a backup commissioner or something? I'd be interested in running fights but I don't want to get in the four peoples' who are already commissioners way. I'd be happy just running fights when people don't have time or whatever. As long as they aren't my fights of course.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008

I actually had run this fight and took screenshots just in case nobody had put up a match when I came home from work. Luckily you already did, thanks ZeeToo. The match I ran went similarly to this one, with a 3-0 win for the Wild Animals.

Here is my version of the combat log, for anyone curious: Combat Log

As a side note I love how the Serpent Men talk in the arena.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
:siren: Test Tournament, Week 3, Match 3 :siren:

On the left, the Nonindicative Name, featuring Likely Shortlived the Human of apostateCourier, IAMAWEREWOLFNOTATIGER the Tiger Man of Anchors and Jack the Human of Jack the Lad.

On the right, Little Guys Long Spears featuring Whip It Out the Gremlin of unwantedplatypus, Friendly Friar the Kobold of Ninjavitus and Cat Stevens the Tiger Man of Boing.

The match begins and all of the melee fighters move towards the center of the ring. Friendly Friar looses his first arrow into the fray, and it heads straight for Jack!

In a dazzling flash Jack bats the arrow out of the way with his sword and it collides harmlessly with the wall behind him.

The first two melee fighters meet in the center of the ring! Jack, being slightly faster than the rest, meets up with Whip It Out. But while Jack is faster on his feet, Whip It Out is faster with his hands and gets the first attack!

After Jack dodges the first attack it becomes apparent that Whip It Out will have to face not only him but also IAMAWEREWOLFNOTATIGER! Meanwhile Cat Stevens and Likely Shortlived square off against one another.

After some more dodging by both sides Cat Stevens takes initiative and charges Likely Shortlived, sending her backwards onto the ground! After she stands up Cat Stevens gives her a kiss of death by biting her mouth and ripping off her cheek. At the same time Whip It Out successfully lashes Jack in the leg causing him to fall to the ground. Things are looking good for Little Guys Long Spears!

After many attacks on all sides that only bruise fat or muscle Cat Stevens punches Likely Shortlived in the neck, crushing it. This is not enough to bring her down, however. Shortly after IAMAWEREWOLFNOTATIGER brings his maul down on Whip It Out's left foot, causing it to explode! This is enough to take Whip It Out to the ground! Suddenly the tables have turned and Nonindicative Name seems to have the upper hand!

But wait! Whip It Out valiantly continues to lash out at his foes and brings IAMAWEREWOLFNOTATIGER to the ground with a lash to his leg! Shortly after however Likely Shortlived cuts Cat Stevens deep in the stomach, causing him to give in to pain! It is not long before Likely Shortlived finishes the job with an expert stab to Cat Stevens skull! The fight's first kill goes to Likely Shortlived!

Soon after Whip It Out fractures IAMAWEREWOLFNOTATIGER'S tail with a sickening CRACK and the Tiger Man gives in to pain! Finally Friendly Friar is able to shoot another arrow. This time it connects with Jack in his leg, chipping bone!

Whip It Out, now with only one dangerous opponent, repeatedly and viciously whips Jack in the head! Unfortunately he takes too long and Likely Shortlived shows up, as the only standing combatant left. Whip It Out is understandably upset about this and responds by immediately fracturing the bones in Likely Shortlived's foot, causing her to give in to pain! This allows Whip It Out to continue lashing at Jack's head, finally succeeding at cracking his skull open and ending his life.

To add insult to injury Friendly Friar fires another arrow at IAMAWEREWOLFNOTATIGER'S already fractured tail. It causes a large amount of pain mere moments before Whip It Out is able to slash through yet another skull and claim the remaining Tiger Man's life!

Now that the only competition is an unconscious Likely Shortlived, Whip It Out makes short work of her similarly to his last two kills.

What a strange battle, ladies and gentlemen. The victory goes to Little Guys Long Spears!

Kills: Likely Shortlived - 1, Whip It Out - 3

Combat Log

Lesson to learn: Never underestimate a gremlin with a scourge with one foot missing. Holy crap.

Silverminnow fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 25, 2014

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008

Spermy Smurf posted:

I am waiting impatiently.

It is done.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Man that was a good one, those 3-2 matches are always the best!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008

Spermy Smurf posted:

I am all antsy for more tournaments where I have more dwarfbucks.

This brings up a good point. How will running our own tournaments work? Was that covered already and I am just an idiot? We were supposed to be able to use your site, right Jazzimus?

• Locked thread