Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Boing posted:

Why isn't this Dr Stranglelove. Someone change it

I thought it was, I'd appreciate it if it could be changed to this.

Edit, also I followed the last thread for a bit but then lost track, I don't know if their were any tournaments since the adventure update which changed combat (especially combat AI) a bit, but if there was could clue me in as to whether it has changed the viability of any builds massively?

Shorter Than Some fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009
Is there any way to save a build to make testing less tedious?

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Asehujiko posted:

Is there a chance that the number of contestants will be boosted to 256 if we approach that number or will the battle royale be even more :black101:?

From the looks of it sign ups are slowing down so it seems pretty unlikely that it will reach that stage. And besides it would be an obscene amount of work for Vox.+

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009
It might be worth pointing out that stranglers (and presumably ant women as well) having four limbs can actually wield almost all (if not all) weapons four handedly. They can for example use halberds four-handedly, certain weapons might be 3 handed, but I'm not sure.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

The game will actually let you cram as many giant weapons into creatures' hands as you tell it to. I'm not sure if the code actually considers using more than two hands to hold a weapon at this point. The weapon tags, anyway, only mention size requirements for single hand and two-handed use. Either way, for tournament purposes, I don't want stranglers wielding halberds and such- I don't think their frame could reasonably handle such large, unwieldy weapons. They're free to carry a ton of smaller items, though, if that's their thing. They also get the coveted bow plus shield combo.

By the way, I did change things to allow dwarves to wield mauls and great axes this time around. They just seem too dwarfy to deny their use.

Ahh OK I was just testing my strangler and I wondered what would happen if I gave him a weapon which was designated as larger than two handed for him, I assumed it was just because he had four arms but I just checked and yeah a gremlin will still use a halberd.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Orv posted:

Something I kept considering during the last tournament was a dual-spear ant woman. I'm almost tempted to give it a shot, but I suspect the results would be. . .well, messy.

How is dual wielding at the moment? Is it still you get parries but no attacks with the offhand? If so is there a way to guarantee which hand is the primary? So for example you don't buy a steel sword that never gets used.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

ZeeToo posted:

Useful Info
Thanks, why would you say spears are the best edged weapons?

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Jazzimus Prime posted:

The site is fantastic thanks for all your (and Vox's) hard work, but I was wondering, because at the moment you can only use the website to create your build once the tournament starts and you can only do it for the Fighter you have entered could you release a standalone version where you can build before the tournament begins and for different creatures to test against and whatnot.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009
I'm still ummming and ahhing over whether to go nude.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009
You can see from this fight that battle AI still needs a bit of work, it's obviously a lot better than before but it really needs some threat analysis. Shouldn't matter too much for the rest of the tournament though since it's one on one.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009
When's the deadline to get our fighters submitted by the way Vox? With the new raws I may want to test a little more.

Shorter Than Some fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jul 28, 2011

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

Perfect timing! At this point, everyone should get their builds in ASAP. Only some eight fighters remain unspec'd, and looking at the user names, it's mostly some of our more extensive testers who haven't quite locked things down.

In case you mean mine because I have a few points spare, I'm gambling on leaving some points for a little interest though I may change that if I lose my bottle but consider mine done for purposes of working out when to start.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

VladTheEater posted:

Yeah, for sure. Adding more points just means the little guys will cap out on useful skills earlier than usual and have nothing left to spend their extra points on.

But then they get to clad themselves in adamantium everything. Having said that it was believed at one point in the last thread that armour thickness scales with the size of the creature using it, was that ever confirmed/is it still the case? If so that's a really unfortunate (if kinda realistic) feature which means the little guys which really need more protection get less for their money.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Okay, thank you. Did you buy the Adamantine helm because Ant-People have vulnerable heads or because it looks cool?

Why do they have vulnerable heads?

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Bozikek posted:

Dang it Dwarf, you were suppose to trance! Aw well, we all know who was the best fighter in this battle Royal.

Cretas Elfstomper will pour out Dwarven Ale for the honorable Biggs Manfighter, and will stomp the next Goblin he faces in his name!

Martial trances only happen when a dwarf fights multiple enemies.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Bozikek posted:

Does this not count as multiple enemies? I know it doesn't always happen, I was just hoping it would.

My mistake sorry. It completely slipped my mind that you were talking about the battle royale I have just been so focussed with building against one on one matches.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Jazzimus Prime posted:

In case anyone is interested, here are the all time results for all of the races in one-on-one matches.

code:
Gremlins:           1-2
Dark Gnomes:        2-4
Kobolds:            6-20
Stranglers:         9-8
Serpent Men:        0-3
Soldier Ant Women:  3-12
Dwarves:           25-14
Elves:             22-12
Goblins:           16-17
Humans:            29-37
Molemarians:        7-8
Werewolves:        13-15
Tigermen:          18-14
Minotaurs:         28-20
Trolls:            11-5
Yetis:              3-2

Total:            193-193
Some things that I found interesting:

• Except for Stranglers, none of the smaller races have had any real success
  • For all of the talk about how formidable Molemarians are, their record is actually pretty mediocre
  • Elves have been surprisingly successful, with a winning percentage second only to that of Trolls
  • No Serpent Man fighter has ever won a one-on-one match yet

It's probably worth noting that for a while (not sure how long) ant-women were bugged and people didn't realise they were the baby ant-women and so actually smaller than gremlins which may account for their poor record.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Poor Fatty, even with the advantage of lopping off his opponents arm he couldnt win.

As for Serpent, I blame terrible manager choices. Wouldnt steel or bronze have been a better material for the pick? Adamantine may have piercing power, but it's just so light. And no skills = no kills.

Does weight affect piercing weapons at all though? It's still a bad choice though because it's overkill against round one armour and forces you to sacrifice skills.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

Maybe I'll take out "sensory nerves" in a later version, as they don't seem to add much at the moment.

Depends how rare they are I think, if rare then I think it adds a bit of ironic flavor but It could get annoying if it happens all the time. Since I haven't seen you mention it before I imagine it's pretty rare?

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

AXE COP posted:

Sweet!

The reasoning behind picking two different weapons was "well, battleaxes are good against unarmoured enemies, and hammers are good against armoured enemies... so I'll take both to become MAXIMALLY EFFECTIVE!"

Didn't seem to work out so well with DF's janky combat though.
Problem is the game mostly picks one weapon at random and sticks with it. So it won't really make you more flexible just more random.

To make matters worse you will be splitting your weapon skill points between two weapons and weapon skill is probably the most important skill.

Which remind me, I think weapon skill should cost more in the next tournament (maybe not for small creatures), it seems really overpowered compared to other skills, in my tests two or three points in weapon skill will beat a gladiator who has max of a few other skills.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Krysmphoenix posted:

Well, Weapon:Fighting/Archery:Dodging, that's the ratio you've got to tweak. I tweaked it quite a bit, here's hoping what I've got isn't terrible. I'm up next.

I have a feeling you may be presently surprised.. I did not test against archers.. I had hoped not to have to fight one first round.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009
Oh awesome, I fully expected to lose that match, I did no testing against archers and had tested exhaustively against everything else.

Also am I right in thinking we don't know who we will be up against next round?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

ZeeToo posted:

Yeah, your weapon skill is absolutely the biggest determiner of how well you'll do.

After luck, of course. :v:
From my testing just one level of weapon skill is enough to defeat a grandmaster of any other auxiliary skill most of the time, it really is a little op.

• Locked thread