Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Are adamantine nerf-hammers not allowed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

my dad posted:

In fact, we will name team 7 Platinum Helms

Going naked in the first round and two-handing a steel halberd. As an elf my guy is likely to run in front due to his high speed. This will end well.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Mikorin really is the heroine :v:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

I'm not seeing any indication that the elf has any armor, and not many dodges. I suspect it's just the halberd and a ton of skill in its use.

This is correct. I actually posted what my build was earlier in the thread :v:

Mikorin has dodging skill, but didn't really have much occasion to use it - most of the damage avoidance ended up being parries, and once Gnomelette went down there was hardly anything coming his way anyways.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

apostateCourier posted:

That said, that first shot was a great one. Though, with how useful having a shield is I don't see archers turning the tide that often this tournament.

I think for archers to be able to make a significant number of shots you'd have to have some very defense-oriented frontliners to tie up the enemy long enough for the archer to actually reload and fire again. A larger arena would probably help as well. That said, the reload rate seems to be so, so slow that it's effectively useless in this format.

Unless you get that superbly lucky first shot.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

ZeeToo posted:

Wait, can arena fighters pick back up their weapons now or did this guy have two of the same weapon? :stare:

The latter. If you look again you'll note that Urist never loses hold of a shield, because he doesn't have one :ssh:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Bene Elim posted:

Fighter thrown out of the arena... :stare:

Has toady put in throwing creatures multiple z-levels in 2014, or was this always a distant possibility?

Thanks for the guide, Jazzimus! Figured it was going to work something like that, bit it's nice to have confirmation. Definitely up to run some fights this week.

I believe creatures and objects moving in projectile arcs was introduced in the 2012 update.

Winning by ring out is pretty cool. I doubt it could happen without the huge size difference we saw there though.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Aug 15, 2014

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Mikorin is looking forward to taking more heads :smug:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Duckaerobics posted:

Speaking of Molemarians, I was a little jealous of the other Wild Animals having art so I made a picture of Sunny.

Aren't they supposed to be based off of naked mole rats? So more like this:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

That first arrow was pretty good but the frontliners weren't able to capitalize on it.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

As far as large weapons go, halberds seem to work pretty well for medium-sized creatures. Is the maul really that much heavier?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Tomoe Gozen has arrived from ancient Japan! May her halberd find the necks of many.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Neurion posted:

Aha! Is this our chance?

Just for that I think I might have to give her kicking skill :v:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

ZeeToo posted:

I can't think of a clever name yet, I'm afraid. If you leave that up to me, we'll be Team Adequate.

As far as what you're doing, I have at least a couple thoughts, since I know Tarezax and I have gimmicks in mind and Supradog's a bit limited because there's only so many things a gremlin can do, leaving you the only one flexible right now. Check your PMs.

How about the Menacing Spikes?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Yeah, the OP has some helpful comparison graphics.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Bronze would be much better. Adamantine is worthless for blunt weapons, it would be like trying to hit someone with a pool noodle.

edit: beaten by a mile

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Depends what timezone you're in, because on my screen they're the same day.

• Locked thread