Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!

Boing posted:

I'm doing this except instead of testing I'm trying to think of a punny name
Oh the names! I've spent a stupid ammount of time trying to get a good name for this tourney.
(fun fact: It was supposed to be Theseus' bane i.e. 'the bane of Theseus' but the arena challenge website didn't like apostrophies).

In the end I made a new DF world and used the 'name fortress' feature to name my new Dwarf.

And I'm still not completely happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Krysmphoenix posted:

The making of a Kobold...
Damnit, Krysm! What do you have against these little guys? Why must they struggle so, just to provethemselves worthy of getting killed even more brutally?

I have a hard time immagining the force behind these trials. Is it some aged and revered Kobold King, sending his best fighters out endlessly in a vain attempt to prove Kobolds worthy to the bearded ones, or is it some mad human endlessly breeding Kobolds to kill in cruel and unusual ways?

Whichever it is, may Armock grant a better fate to this one than he did the last three.

Bene Elim fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jul 22, 2011

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

I think the betting winner from tournament 2 got a random starting points boost (that never really came to anything), and I got some shiny golden footwear :neckbeard: that definitely doesn't do anything

Vox usually comes up with something at the end of the tourney for both tournament and betting winners. The prize will generally be something inconsequential, but very humanly valuable or pretty.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

jackyl posted:

The gladiators are just hanging out in cages with booze and statues and miasma and their gear, right?
I don't know how you treat your gladiators, but mine tend to spend her time sparing, getting fitted for armour and being trained to harness DWARF RAGETM.

I don't think visible equipment is the best idea. Even without knowing skills it would make the gladiators too open, and too easy to predict (working out skills from armour and weapon isn't hard).

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Glazius posted:

Was Aeiou even trained in unarmed fighting? That's an amazing come-from-behind win if not.
I'll direct you to year one of Gemclod and Enzer's first kill. It was an amazing coincidence that it happened, but not unheard of.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Almost went with dark gnome, but no.

Elf has been taken.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The bastards much just hate inventive fun and games shared with internet buddies. :argh:

Either that or it's some sore loser or other...

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

ZeeToo posted:

G0-B0T is going to win this whole thing.
This is looking increasingly likely. Vlad sure knows how to build bots.

Still loving this side-show though. Very much looking forward to turning that strangler into a sextuple amputee.

Well, poo poo. And there was me thinking bronze would be enough.

He died as he lived, screaming his defiance 'till the end. :scotland:

Bene Elim fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 26, 2011

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Wooden armour? That's no dwarf, it's just an Elf-Badger crossbreed.

Wooden armour really isn't worth it, you'd probably be better off just spending the points on another level of dodge, or getting a better weapon material, or even just saving them. Even against hammers it's not going to be up to much. Better to spend the points on leather so as not to worry about the weight.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

I did some limited testing after this result, pitting copies of the two fighters against one another to see how likely our outcome was. Constantine won seven out of eight test fights. You lucked out, ImperialGuard!
If that result was a certainty 8 times out of 8 this 'sport' would get boring fast. That it isn't keeps it interesting. There is always that possibility that the naked gremlin with the copper dagger will instantly decapitate the steel clad troll, that the bowbold's first shot will be a heart-seeker, or that the brawler will beat an elf to death with his bare hands.
drat I love this game. :black101:

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Alas poor Sodel, we barely knew thee.
Her name translated as 'Shield of Glory'

I never thought the four points I put into shield use would have done her that much good, but there you go. I can't help but wonder now if they'd have been better spent on weapon skill. Or a helm...

Oh well. Congrats to you, Halloween Jack. Good luck through the rest of the tourney.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

When oh when will Skyrimphoenix realize that Kobolds are just a little bit poo poo.

Great to see you back, Vox. Sorry for your cavalcade of woes, hope it all works out ok.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

I hereby claim El Tigre for the glory of Krysm's Kobold Farm!

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Oh gods loving damnit. Twenty five minutes yearly! VOX MEEEEEE! :argh:

Eh, oh well. Lets get back to some dismemberment. Just what I need for this yuletide season.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Another one spending 3000 points here. I really hope this ends up being as hilarious as it sounds.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Remembering Gemclod, I was worried about what adamantine weapons can do for near skill free recruits, but I guess plating the warrior in enough silver to turn it into a statue negates that.

I get the feeling that the final from this tournament will be a month long cavalcade of ineptitude.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

ZeeToo posted:

As I recall, Voxmod tournament removed all innate skills from our playable races by design

I can't recall what the logic was and there's no telling if four years of Dwarf Fortress design may have changed how things work.
The logic was that minotaurs and the like were starting with a few points in combat stats, which was a horrendously unfair advantage.

Some of the weapon stuff voxmod did (like stopping whips and flails from being tiny supersonic hammers and butchering everything) might have been fixed by now, but this is what testing is for. As was mentioned, the main DF thread would be your go to with tweaking this stuff.

On the topic of comissioners, I'd be willing to help run and write up fights, assuming my workload doesn't become ridiculous in september.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

It's been far too long since I got to send someone to their death in the arena.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

I'm not sure we need warewolves except for Tradition purposes. Tigermen had the same basic stats and size, so could still serve as a stand-in.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Only one fighter slot left!

One last sacrifice champion needed before the Fun begins again.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Happy to be with you, Ramc and Afriscipio!

Two Elves and a human may not sound like the most interesting group, but I'm sure we can come up with something interesting still die horribly.

I can post an email address if you want to communicate that way, or we can just build what we want and see how it goes.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Afriscipio posted:

I'm happy to mail you if you're serious about strategy. I was planning on buying the biggest sword I can afford and sending Onan off to die terribly gloriously.

Sounds like a good strategy to me. Two melee plus whatever Ramc wants to do. Let's butcher Team 3!

VV Nice! Done. VV

Bene Elim fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 8, 2014

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Definitely up for running some fights on Monday (assuming you want us to, Jazzimus).

Testing is nice purely for seeing what fighters can do. One of my guilty pleasures is pitting Theseus (<--That guy) against increasing numbers of Kobolds/Gremlins/Gnomes to see how many he can take at once.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

^^x2 One of the big lessons from previous tourneys is that is doesn't matter if you're coated in adamantium, if you're knocked off your feet your chances of winning drop drastically.

I'd say that your best defense as a small fighter is not getting caught by a charge, and avoiding straight attacks. Dodge is your friend. (NB this may not apply to 3-on-3 fights.)

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Meat and Two Veg are very much looking forward to doing the business, if you know what I mean.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Reverence posted:

Side bet, my ant stabs Bene Elim in the neck.

Any takers?

How much you got? :unsmigghh:

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

Uhhhhhh you have no idea of my track record with such outcomes, do you.

I mean come on, it was a gremlin with slade gauntlets.
What on Armok's bloody earth made you think that they might work? It's like trying to fight with your hands in concrete blocks!

And no, I will not accept rampant stupidity as an excuse. Even you aren't that dumb.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

I do love the brutality we're seeing in these early fights! I wonder if it will continue into the playoffs if teams are getting more armoured.

Bad Munki posted:

Ehh, he was also a level 14 striker, level 14 armor user, level 12 dodger, and some odd number of levels in fighting. And in his defense, he was bruising up his foe pretty well for a while, until he took an unlucky shot that literally exploded his foot. v:shobon:v

But I didn't really think it would work. However, if it had worked? Would've been fuckin' awesome, man.
I'd have thought bare fists would get you bruises as well. Do gauntlets even count as weapons for calculating punch damage?

I'll admit it was pretty awesome anyway. Keep doing what you do!

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Ramc posted:

How do stranglers with their small size but strength+++ sort out in this?

Picture a 5-year-old attempting to wrestle a full grown man.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

No, because it'd be unfair to know their exact initial loadout before the playoffs.

But you can often guess based on the fighters's equipment.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Adamantine and crazy skills at this stage only belong to the tiniest of fighters who really badly need them to stand up to the bigger fighters.

You're probably not screwed until you see minotaurs wielding adamantium.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Combat Log posted:

Onan bashes PedAnt in the head with his platinum maul and the injured part is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass!
PedAnt has been struck down.
I offer this up as one of the most :black101: kills in the tourney so far.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Tunicate posted:

I'd be interested in seeing some three faction fights, or set them in a different section of the arena, or something like that.

An arena that's fair for a three being free-for-all is impossible in DF thanks to the squared grid. It's a great idea and something I'd love to see, but there would always be one fighter further away from the other two (and therefore at an advantage) or one player stuck in between the others (bad for obvious reasons.

If you want multiple fighter brawls, it has to be even numbers for fairness.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Fighter thrown out of the arena... :stare:

Has toady put in throwing creatures multiple z-levels in 2014, or was this always a distant possibility?

Thanks for the guide, Jazzimus! Figured it was going to work something like that, bit it's nice to have confirmation. Definitely up to run some fights this week.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Spermy Smurf posted:

Edit: I went 0/3 on bets and have 10 dwarfbucks left too. How am I so bad at this betting thing. I should just start betting against Bad Munki's team.
Wouln't this cause some kind of quantum break? You can't win a bet, and Bad Munki can't win a fight. It'd be like a perpetually spinning cat with a piece of buttered toast tied to it's back, the fight would never end and the thread would collapse!

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

I'm good with running those. Shame we have to run them in order, I'm up for some arena bloodshed today.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

I can run some fights in 8 hours or so. I'd do them now, but I should really be asleep.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

I'd run it myself, but it's my own team.

You still out there, Zee?

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

In all my testing I never saw Treeloved butchered like that :psydwarf:

Downloading macros now. Going to run the next two fights today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

:siren: Round 2: Match 7 - The Ugly Ones .v. Art, Politics and Other Bull :siren:

BRONZESTABBED, Sankis Memorial Arena - A viciously bloody pummeling in this match of little vs large!

The gong sounds and battle-cries echo as all six gladiators charge into each other. Mammarian the molemarian, Prancer III the minotaur and Van Winkle the troll (Managed by Synthorange, astus and Goodchild) tower over two thirds of their oponents, but Durm und Strangler the Strangler, Moocules the Minotaur and American President the Serpent Man (Managed by AJ_Impy, Tesla Cola and Scrree) are unintimidated, charging in for the first blow.

Moocules is quickly ganged up on by Van Winkle and Prancer. The minotaur's dagger chips bone in his foot to bring him town, the troll's tusk destroys his hand and sends him unconscious and Prancer drives the killing blow past Moocules' iron helm.

Meanwhile, Durm und Strangler and American President are tearing into Mammarian. Scourge and spear tear into molemarian flesh, crippling and removing limbs. Unfeeling, Mammarian keeps swinging, distracting Durm and President and letting his team-mates sneak up from behind.

Prancer jabs for President's head, narrowly missing the serpent's skull. Not wanting to take any chances, he follows up with a near amputating slash to the arm, and a devastating charge that sends American President sprawling one way, and his guts another. Prancer mercifully decapitates the snake for his second kill.

Van Winkle's sneak attack on Durm misses, and the strangler is able to shatter the troll's foot with his scourge. Far from toppled, Van charges Durm knocking him to the floor, stunned. Two arms are quickly removed, leaving Durm chance for one last attack before he bleeds to death.

The Ugly Ones are denied a perfect victory, as Mammarian bled to death moments before Durm, the kill being awarded to American President

The Ugly Ones take a decisive 3-1 victory over Art, Politics and Other Bull!
The Ugly ones will advance to the playoffs after a show match with Small and Mighty, while Art Politics and Other Bull's fate rests on a deciding match wit The Good, the Bad and The Bravo.

Kills - Prancer:2, Van Winkle:1, American President:1

VV Whoops! Knew I'd forget something. Combat log is there. VV

Bene Elim fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 20, 2014

• Locked thread