Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Hoping to get in on the Battle Royale, just need my registration e-mail and I can get started.

Got my build figured out, I just hope my pro-decision to do no testing pays off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Dirty Frank posted:

Just an FYI incase you missed it, you've gotta email Vox for the battle royale:

Thank you my good man. Battle Royale entry sent, Gladiator Dies Horribly ready to... welp.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Boing posted:

Looking forward to when gladiator Gladiator Dies Horribly dies horribly

He's actually just Dies Horribly, but I really should have made him be Gladiator Dies Horribly. Ah well.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Allow me to lead off the betting with 1000 DB on Dies Horribly, Battle Royale.

Let me know if I need to fix the formatting for this bet.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 27, 2011

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Putting all my money on myself was pretty risky, but I'm hoping my Gladiator can cause a few upsets.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Dies Horribly has been instructed to go out and pick a winner. He is to continue picking winners until there are none left.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
:o

I won.

I won?

Holyfuckingshit I WON!?

I'll be back in a few hours, when I've had more sleep and can be more coherent about this.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Well, Dies Horribly has been created on the Arena website, so I'm ready to go.

That fight was my first experience with the DF engine in about a year or so. Was I imagining it, or did dies actually wait around to ambush the dwarf? That's both hilarious and ethnically appropriate, two things it's nice to see Toady is still doing.

Looking forward to the upcoming fights, and losing all my hard earned dwarfbucks on poorly chosen bets.

On the topic of Dies equipment, I'm hoping high skill levels (in various... things) will overcome the shortcoming that is his chosen weapon.

Thus begins the legend of Dies Horribly, Goblin Sapper. In ur mines, collapsin ur tunnels.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Soooo. This kinda sucks. I'm without computer based internet for the next several days, so I can't view the current match-ups. Can't really bet either, except for some blind bets, like so:

50 DB on all Goblin Gladiators except for Dies Horribly.

1000 DB on Dies Horribly.

Goblin solidarity, I can't imagine not having the money for this. Also, in the list of participants and their cash totals, it looked like I was listed twice (RickVoid, rickvoid). Can I get those merged into one?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Just got my house internet set up again, only to discover that Dies Horribly's next opponent is a goddamn Yeti.

Quick, everyone bet on the Yeti so I make a shitton more money if I pull off another victory!

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

VladTheEater posted:

:negative:

Well drat. Doesn't matter really, both equal pain.

Seriously, how did I gently caress up that badly, gently caress...

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

VladTheEater posted:

Hey, rickvoid, I'm calling you out!

You have more money to spend. Too chicken to place more than 1000 on an aptly-named fighter?

There's a big, big pot of money at stake on Dies Horribly... don't you want MORE of it?

You better make a bigger bet.

...unless you're too afraid.

Well, I certainly couldn't let this stand. I've upped my bet by two grand.

Yup.

Care to do the same? :smug:

SynthOrange posted:

The next small person match I see is a gremlin- vs a troll. Oh you poor bastard.

Alas, poor Yorick.

Pre-Post Edit :aaa:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Should I edit out the last bit of my post there? Seriously, I made the bet like ten minutes before hand. Holy poo poo.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Aaaaand now that it's up, allow me to gloat a little.

:holy:

Also, the reason Dies Horribly chose to ignore the head? It's this: :black101:

Now, I'm a little confused by the betting screen. It has me listed as betting twice, which I did. One is listed as 1,000 (the initial bet), the other is listed as 3,000 (what I thought I was increasing the bet to).

My question is, did I bet 3k on this fight, or 4k? I think it's only 3, but I don't know for sure.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

I think you made a second bet of 3000, not realizing that you were committing a separate action rather than simply modifying your prior action (individual bets can never be changed). Congrats on getting even more money I guess.

Hahaha holy poo poo.

Come on and climb aboard the ironically named pain train! Believe in the Goblin that believes in poking the gently caress out of things until they stop moving!

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

PublicOpinion posted:

He didn't need us to believe in him; he believed in him, who believes in himself! :kamina:

This is awesome. So very awesome. Thank you for this. :)

On the other hand, if we keep making Kamina jokes, he's going to need the cape and shades. :kamina:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Been awhile since I posted in the thread. Just checked my pending bets, and I've got five fights coming up.

Goblin Supremacy.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I have a feeling picks are going to be a popular choice next tournament.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
And with that Goblin Victory, my available funds for next round have broken 8 grand. :signings:

I await the beginning of the second round of fights with baited breath, these last few fights simply can't come soon enough.

To the twelve remaining fighters; We who still live salute those who may die!

Dr. Stranglelove and The Reborn Krying Pheonix! We salute you!
George and The Librarian! We salute you!
Pip and Lady Rhianu! We salute you!
Huaso and Ted! We salute you!
Yeti-with-a-serial-number and Mutt Jr! We salute you!
Hoonboof and The ElfStomper! We salute you!

To the losers: May your cups runneth over in the Halls of Warholla!
To the victors: We await your might in the next round!

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Ah good, we're back up.

My bets have been placed.

5 grand on my fighter, Dies Horribly.

The remainder split evenly (795 Dwarfbucks each) on the remaining Goblin contestants. Pinball Wizard, Yum, Hanzo, and Elizabeth Bennet, good luck.

I have one ($1) Dwarfbuck remaining. Any ideas where I should place it? Is there someone with no remaining funds who could use a buck? ...Can I even do that?

Goblin Supremacy.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

FiddlersThree posted:

Ted the Hurty was... er... raised by goblins. They taught him everything he knows. He deserves the support of your dorfbuck.

Ha! Goblins do approve of bashy weapons... I'll consider it.

Let's get some more suggestions first.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Brick Moses posted:

You should re-check your bet on Pinball Wizard.

Motherfucker, how did I gently caress that up!?

Any chance I can get that bet switched around? It should be on Pinball Wizard not the equally amusingly named Panty Thief.

Edit: I have a feeling the betting on my match is going to be nuts. Pick versus Bolts. It's going to come down to who spent their points on what, I think.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 29, 2011

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Thanks guys!

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

FiddlersThree posted:

...and rickvoid continues his ridiculous run of betting luck. I think I'm just going to bet his line every round.

That's a terrible idea. Only half of my bets came out as victory's last time anyway, and my luck is bound to run out sooner or later. Wouldn't you rather be on the side that's going to get all of my hard-won funds? Seriously, review the previous rounds fights and make smart bets, rather than the gimmick "Goblin Supremacy" bets I've been running.

<_<

Goblin Supremacy

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Oh hey, more fights.

Goblin Supremacy.

Made a bit of coin on that one. Excellent.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Victor-

Vox Nihili posted:

Ook hacks wildly at his downed opponent, cutting off an arm at the elbow, slicing open a foot, then severing a leg below the knee before Gary can so much as react!

Vox Nihili posted:

Fortunately for Gary, his iron mail protects his center mass, and Ook spends several moments fruitlessly attempting to cut through before settling on ripping open the goblin's face with a clawed hand. Gary slices at Ook once more, but the strangler easily evades, then merrily cleaves off the goblin's remaining hand, leaving him unable to wield his blade. Gary "Hanzo" Busey bleeds out immediately after, leaving Ook to advance!

oh poo poo

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Spermy Smurf posted:

Oh god I have .09 dorfbucks left to bet.

Which is odd, because last fight I bet my last $1, and won $2.65 :(

I cant bet anymore :(

Winnings aren't available for use until the next round of fights. You're out for now, but you'll have some funds next round.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Wow. Three more fights and Dies Horribly is up.

Looking forward to it!

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Goblin-

Actually, the hell with it. Every-time Die's survives another match I sit here shocked.

I actually had to re-read part of that, because at first I thought Die's had cut her in half with his Shield, and I now I can't see him as anything other than a green Captain America.

Now to try and remember my plans for building him... how long has it been since this season started?

Edit: *Sees his nearly 14k in dwarfbucks* Bwahahaha! I will be continuing my tradition of betting half my funds on myself, so Die's next round will have at least seven grand up for grabs! I'll split the remainder between my surviving goblin buds.

Combat Log posted:

Dies Horribly blocks The flying {iron bolt}!
Dies Horribly attacks (POP)erthe(pop)eny but It jumps away!
Dies Horribly strikes (POP)erthe(pop)eny in the abdomen with his steel pick and the severed part sails off in an arc!
(POP)erthe(pop)eny has been struck down.

:fuckoff:

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 22, 2012

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
All my money has been bet away. I await the results of these matches with glee!

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I have put 7 grand down on Dies Horribly's fight.

His hilarious streak of good luck can't possibly continue.

You guys want a some of those sweet, sweet dwarfbucks, don'tcha?

Bet against Dies Horribly today!
Also Pinball Wizard, Elizabeth Bennett, and Yum too!

*resumes counting dwarfbucks*

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Does he post in any other threads or has he dropped off the site completely?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

He posted in the main DF thread as recently as the 3rd, so odds are pretty good that he's technically still alive.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/search.php?action=results&requestid=6517171

I'd go yell at him to update, but can understand if he's just gotten burned out on this. Hope it comes back eventually, I'm still amazed Dies is still in this.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I'm all for it. Dies Horribly has still failed to live up to his destiny.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

VladTheEater posted:

What say you to allegations that Dies Horribly is actually a cyborg fueled by horseshoes, leprechaun dust and tears over gambled-and-lost Dorfbux?

You leeches. Last week it was Dies doing lines of Dwarven-Sugar off the backs of underage Kobold prostitutes. Why do you waste so much effort trying to destroy him? Some underlying Goblin racism, perhaps? So many steps have been taken on the path of rights for the so-called "Lesser Races", but your comments reveal that we still have so much further to go.

Perhaps your time would be better spent looking into the obvious use of performance enhancing drugs on the part of other, less honorable gladiators. Take Ook. Ook? OOOOOOKK!, for example. I don't recall him having such very, very large arms at the start of this tournament. And the mood swings... so very disappointing in such a promising young lad.

Come along, Mr Horribly. We're nearly late for your exercise session.

Good day to you, sir.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Not only is the Arena Challenge back, it takes a turn for the awesome. Well done Jazzimus. :)

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
So I was reading through some of my previous posts in the thread, and stumbled across this. From Apr 17, last year...

I posted:

Victor-

Vox Nihili posted:

Ook hacks wildly at his downed opponent, cutting off an arm at the elbow, slicing open a foot, then severing a leg below the knee before Gary can so much as react!

Vox Nihili posted:

Fortunately for Gary, his iron mail protects his center mass, and Ook spends several moments fruitlessly attempting to cut through before settling on ripping open the goblin's face with a clawed hand. Gary slices at Ook once more, but the strangler easily evades, then merrily cleaves off the goblin's remaining hand, leaving him unable to wield his blade. Gary "Hanzo" Busey bleeds out immediately after, leaving Ook to advance!

oh poo poo

Ook is my next opponent.

Oh boy.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Dies won again? That's m' boy. :D

Pity about Yum. Need to check the site to see how many other Goblins are left in this thing.

Jazzimus posted:

On the betting front, rickvoid continues his thorough dominance through his strategy of betting on himself.

It really is the best strategy.

Wonder who I'll be up against in the next round. I'm really interested to see how Dies would fare against something like a minotaur.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Good question. For those who have forgotten this tournament's rules, the matches are randomized at the start of each new round, so the tournament bracket doesn't give any indication of who a fighter will be up against next!

Why would we forget, it's only been-

Vox Nihili posted:

07/22/2011
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress Arena Challenge!

Oh right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

PublicOpinion posted:

I'm betting it all on goblins!

Always bet on DukeGoblins.

Goblin Supremacy.

Bets placed, placed 10K on Dies to win, and equally distributed the rest to the other two Goblin fighters. Good luck everybody! (except you, Pip!)

People need to put money on Pip. Think of the payout!

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Sep 9, 2013

• Locked thread