Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Hooray, I made it well in time it seems :) Maugrem is ready and willing to crush you all with her superior hiding/jumping/stabbing skills!

Thanks again for doing this, Vox/Jazz/Munki. Can't wait for the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Sup gremlin buddy.

I've been doing a little bit of testing and I have a terrible feeling we're both gonna be hosed from round one. But maybe I just haven't found the right build yet! MORE TESTING! :black101:

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I've always preferred being an underdog anyway :)

Think I've decided on my build for the first round. Can't wait for the start. Hope we get 128 players as well, that will be epic!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
That would be greaves/breastplate as opposed to mail shirt/mail leggings.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
With 128 fighters I imagine the rate of gladiator abandonment is going to be a bit higher than it was for the last tournament, due to the time it will take in the early rounds to get back to each guy.

The adoption/reclaim system seemed to work pretty well last time though, so hopefully it's all good. If someone does adopt a gladiator, do they get assigned control of them on Jazzimus' site? And can this take them past the 4-gladiator-per-person limit on there?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Damnnation, I wish I had heard about this earlier. Singed up just in time to be too late to join.

e: Actually, looking at post times, I think I had two hours to register but I got distracted by video games instead. drat you Tropico! :argh:

You might still get into the Battle Royale if Vox is feeling nice, so I'd suggest you go ahead and create a fighter ready for it!

My gladiator's equipment and skills are assigned. Fingers crossed for round 1. SO EXCITING.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Battle Royale, Maugrim, Biggs Manfighter, 150

Dwarves have an edge. An edge composed of pure rage.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Maugrem has been advised to cut off her serpent man foe's fangs first.

Unfortunately she forgot her ladder and will probably have to content herself with stabbing him in the tail.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Jazzimus Prime posted:

No Serpent Man fighter has ever won a one-on-one match yet

Encouraging for my gremlin, but I suspect it's a result of the small sample size and is shortly going to change..

Interesting stats though. Have there really been so few gremlins/serpent men? I guess it looks fewer because their lack of initial wins results in fewer follow-up fights with the same gladiator.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Dr Solway Garr posted:

if you've spent all of those extra points on armour coverage

Hahaha. Heh. :(

I've done a tiny amount of testing, but it was enough to show that Maugrem is probably in more danger of bleeding out after That One Snake Guy bites off her foot than she is from the actual injected venom.

Feet and hands seem incredibly vulnerable this go around especially for the smaller races, and armour for those areas is cheap, so I think prioritising that is probably going to be a sound general strategy.

Which I probably won't get to try out now :)

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Great posts so far, Vox. While I'm impatient for my own gladiator's fight I think just one fight at a time is fine if it makes for regular updates.

I'm surprised by the total dominance of the bigger critters so far, but it could just be a statistical anomaly. I sure hope so! On the other hand, all my betting has been exclusively on the basis of "which combatant is larger". My biggest bet is on my own opponent :(

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

SynthOrange posted:

:pwn: Those are certainly fights alright.

:(

I really thought I had it there.

This picture almost makes up for it. Almost.

Goddamn snake men.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Dr Solway Garr posted:

What did you spend all those points on maugrim?

Fighting, Swordsmanship and (especially) Dodge.

Most small critter builds that stand half a chance are based on not getting hit before you can score a good one on your opponent. Once you get into the charge/knockdown loop, all the armour in the world won't save you from the eventual lucky headshot or whatever.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
These things happen - according to that article, the guy got one of Google's sites at one point. I'd want to be convinced they were taking measures to prevent it happening again, though.

If you do want to move, I'm sure there'd be a home for you on goondorfs.net?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Since we're over halfway through round 2, something like two thirds of the fights in the tournament have already been completed. I'm sure Vox will get his second wind soon!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Bets placed. Glad I still got in on this even though I was just afk for two weeks!

I hope there is another tournament. I want to see a gremlin or kobold get past round 2 for once.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Next tournament, I think we should be allowed to use the points system to buy an extra fighter of the same race - with tiny gladiators being reasonably cheap and big ones being prohibitively expensive.

E: They would fight at the same time, I mean, not sequentially.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I didn't understand much of the above (partly but not entirely because I'm not American and don't follow American football) but rest assured I'm aboard for it!

Also I like the idea of rewards for following your team loyally, because I've never stopped following this thread so obviously I'd get a ton of points.

Mostly I just want a chance to create another gremlin. One day one of the little bastards will win a fight!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Yep it's always an unexpected treat to see an update to this. I really like Jazzimus' way of presenting them too, even if it does take a while to put together.

We must have nearly reached the fights I've actually bet on now!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Jazzimus Prime posted:

The sooner this is done, the sooner we can finish the tournament. Only four matches left!

Oh god I'm so excited!

Also I have an (admittedly premature) suggestion for the next tournament! How about we get... not just one guy, but a group of people to run the fights and write up the posts? I couldn't manage a whole LP but I'd definitely be up for the occasional contribution.

We'd have to have a suitably modded DF install uploaded somewhere for everyone to use, instructions for setting up the arena, and a system whereby LPers could tag a fight and say "I'm doing this one right now" to prevent overlaps. But it's the only system I can think of that might give us a chance of getting through an even larger tournament than this one before the heat death of the universe.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Well. That's dumped me some way back down the betting leaderboard again, then :(

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Jazzimus Prime posted:

AND PLACE SOME MORE BETS, EVERYONE!

I would, but those last two matches cleaned me out.

Ah well, I will always remember being briefly third in the Arena Challenge rich list.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I could have told you that in advance.

Try 40 gremlins next time.

[Edit] What, really? They beat him? I don't see by what mechanic they can even hurt him that bad...

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Iunnrais posted:

I'm assuming we'll have a new tournament start when the new version hits? Maybe?

Well, previous tournaments have used a mod, which I believe was created by Vox Nihili, to balance the combat better and reduce some of the more nonsensical aspects. I imagine that will need a bit of adaptation to work in the new version of the game. And since Vox Nihili has been MIA for quite some time, it will probably need a few other knowledgeable people hacking it together.

But maybe we should just run something with DF2014 combat out of the box in all its buggy glory...

(edit: also big THANKS to Jazzimus for rescuing this thread and bringing the tournament to a suitably glorious conclusion!)

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 7, 2014

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
scamtank, Leperflesh and markus_cz are already playing around with getting some goon-created mod to work with the new version, I believe. I expect you'll be able to get some support with the last task if you ask in the main DF thread.

I've never been tempted to dive into Dwarf Fortress modding but I would definitely be up for running some fights. If nothing else, you need a British caster to balance things out. Monty Python presents: Dwarf Fortress!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Both your proposed rules make sense to me. Maybe if a commissioner chooses to run a fight they've already bet on, their bet is returned and can be immediately invested elsewhere?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I'm up for both testing and running the occasional fight.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Oh poo poo. I've been really busy lately and I'm about to be away all weekend in a place with basically no internet.

I'll try and catch up on the thread today but if you need me to write up fights before Monday night, you're probably out of luck.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Jazzimus Prime posted:

No worries. If you want a fighter in the tournament, though, you'd better hurry and submit one... there are only six spots left.

Kapow. Since I've had terrible luck with gremlins on my last two attempts, I've jumped up a size and entered Gnomelette the Dark Gnome. Woe betide whoever ends up on a team with her.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Team 11, that's ZeeToo and perpetulance, I have limited net access until Sunday night but will try and keep an eye on this thread on my dodgy old phone. If you come up with a kickass strategy and want me to build my fighter a certain way I will do so, I suspect the main feasible builds for a dark gnome are either ranged expert or the default small-melee-fighter build of minimal armour and maximal dodge.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Since you're all impatient buggers, I've set up my fighter laboriously on my phone. No need to wait on my account! I'm liking our team comp too. Let's do this!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Ahoy Jazzimus. Issue with the website:

Login > Manage Fighters > Manage Existing Fighters/Gnomelette > View this fighter instead > "The page you specified was not found on this server."

http://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/view_fighter?555

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

unwantedplatypus posted:

Really, gnomelette, whips? Everybody knows scourges are the go to small guy weapon.

I honestly forgot there was a difference. :smith:

Honestly though my biggest mistake seems to have been putting that 1 stray point into biting.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I'm hyped to run some fights. This is an incredibly busy month for me but I'll make the time - who needs sleep?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Just chipping in to say I completely agree with the need for concurrent commissioner contributions. That way, if one guy finishes his fights early and another is off on holiday in Timbuktu for a month, fights can be reassigned and a steady stream of them should go through. It could end up being pretty pacy.

That said, I'm glad I have until after ZeeToo's second fight to consider my posting format, etc.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
The one problem I'm encountering in reading these 3-per-team fights is remembering who's on which team.

To fix this in my write-up I plan to allocate each team an emoticon and place it before each fighter's name each time it occurs. Hopefully I won't end up butting up against the image limit though. If I do I'll have to think of an alternative plan.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Yo, Spermy Smurf. Do you want to swap divisions? I've got a ton going on right now. If you'd rather wait, I will run a fight tomorrow evening (about 22 hours from now), but it would be so much easier for me if I could delay my turn a day or two.

[Edit] wait, poo poo, that would mean you'd be running a fight with your own fighter. Jazzimus? Any thoughts?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Man, you guys are going to get done with this before I even make it home from work. Nice going.

Also - Locomotive Breath, was your submitted fighter's name "Papier Machete"? Because that would be the correct spelling. I didn't get it at all until I saw your thing about correcting spelling and tried to figure out what the original would have been.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Cross-posting from the main thread because it's pretty relevant:

scamtank posted:

Oh, hey, more science.
  • Quick attacks hit with only half force. Heavy and wild attacks hit with 1.5x force. Precision attacks only affect accuracy.
  • Extremely high skill doesn't really increase the amount of damage per se, but just tilts the table so the rolls consistently hit the upper limit. The upper bounds are your weapon's material strength and your own personal bulk.
  • The new head doesn't have any kind of secret force shielding. It's all to do with the bigger skull.
  • Hitting prone dudes does double damage!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Jazzimus Prime posted:

I think it's Maugrim's turn now, but maybe you can run one of his fights if we don't hear from him in the next few hours.

Please go ahead and run the next fight (or three) guys, I'm genuinely inundated this week. If I get a chance I will pop up and grab a fight, but don't wait for me.

• Locked thread