Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
yesyesYES

e:

ZeeToo posted:

Ground floor! :woop: Now to balance testing time versus being sure I get a slot...
I'm doing this except instead of testing I'm trying to think of a punny name

Boing fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jul 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Do we know approximately how much a single + of strength is worth in terms of size? Like a dwarf has Strength + but is size 60 compared to a human 70, are they roughly identical?

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Arena Challenge site posted:

19. Dr Strangelove, Male Strangler (managed by Shorter Than Some)

Why isn't this Dr Stranglelove. Someone change it

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Fredrik1 posted:

Jonathan Sebastian Smith has taken his quilt pen and signed up to the tournament, there he will compete to win the hand of the fair lady and to become the rightful air to the throne.

(I will have absolutely no idea what I am doing)

Funny you should say that, my fighter was very nearly a werewolf called Johann Sebastian Bark

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Hey I have nothing else to do, I guess I'll test some builds, let me give this human a knife and

:stare:

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Metamucil posted:

If you're a goony tryhard min-maxer like me, you might enjoy this arena.txt edit that I made real quick. It replaces everything on every Z-level with row after row of identical test arenas. With some simple macros, you can set up hundreds of fights in mere minutes!
:goonsay:

Just copy/paste it into Data/Init

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JKU5PGE7

You could've made those arenas tessellating diamonds with the correct number of x-spaces between starting corners and doubled the number of tests you can run!

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Looking forward to when gladiator Gladiator Dies Horribly dies horribly

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Battle Royale, Boing, Grodimus Thunderbeard, 250 !!!

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

What the hell, Grodimus? They give you a big fuckoff steel sword and you go scratching antwomen like a ponce

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

I am never wrestling a yeti

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

code:
That One Snake Guy bites Maugrem in the left eye, tearing it!
Serpent man venom is injected into the Maugrem's gremlin blood!
That One Snake Guy latches on firmly!
The Maugrem loses hold of the steel short sword.
The Maugrem is completely paralyzed!
:stare:

And a platinum sword? gently caress that. He got lucky :arghfist::black101:

No but really I should've bought some weapon skills. At least we had a nail-biting close match, right?

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Dies Horribly you fantastic bastard. It's a good day for underdogs right

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

I haven't seen anyone rolling around on the ground yet. That was one of my favourite additions to the combat system. Is it because nobody bought points in dodging?

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

I like to think that if my arm was cut off in a fight with a midget I'd still be man enough to keep punching him in the head with my other arm until he died.

This happened to me in Adventurer mode once except I was able to pick up my sword again with my free hand :eng101:

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

I don't know much about picks but taking off a goblin's leg with one was badass

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

That elf fights like a dwarf

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Oh yeah. Vox a busy man.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

That was kickass Vox. Armless boxer, thumb-biting, blood everywhere oh poo poo :psydwarf:

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

I am excited for the names more than anything else.

(sent mine!)

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

ZeeToo posted:

Yeah, Captain Blood Loss has some fiendishly high weapon levels. Against any melee opponent, he was never going to live up to his name.

If I'd known we were allowed Striking, Wrestling, Biting and Kicking skills I would've sank my points into those :arghfist:

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Some awesome fights. Picturing the Dr Stranglelove fight is brutal as all hell

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

I'm prepared for loads of necks exploding into gore (and being little more than slight inconveniences for the neckhavers).

(Cat Stevens is ready)

Boing fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Aug 8, 2014

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Hey Team 6 I think we can get a 1-protect-2 thing going

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

^^^ Hey I guess that means you stick with this build forever and we coast to a clean win right

unwantedplatypus posted:

let the cat out of the bag

The cat is out and he's pissed :v:

Wrestling seems finicky since Cat spent half of the round grabbing pinky fingers and little toes before letting go of them again. Fortunately he spent the other half of the round punching hands into pulp but you sort of want wrestlers to have a bit more sense.

e: Actually looking at the log it seems wrestling doesn't work at all? Not a single joint lock, takedown or throw. Or is that just my guy?

Boing fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Aug 11, 2014

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Afriscipio posted:

Unrelated question: Onan was kicking Pulpy Van Winkle, even though he doesn't have any kicking skill. Was this because PvW was prone?

No, fighters get random opportunities in combat for better-than-usual strikes and fighter AI will usually take them, even if it's to scratch their pinky finger or something rather than give them an axe to the face. I think the opportunities are governed by the Fighting skill.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Ramc posted:

Looking forward to seeing how our division hashes out. Also dammit Cat Stevens- I bet on your team based on your previous performance.

Cat Stevens is a master of drama. It's much more exciting when we win the next round this way.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

drat, that could've gone either way. Good job boys!

I complained before about neck-crushing not doing anything. My immersion :argh:

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

It's amazing that Paper Machete died not from being bludgeoned with a metal bow for two days straight, but from the lung wound days previously, as he lay comatose and beaten.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

You described it perfectly and yet you didn't even give us a screenshot of the arena strewn with piles of minotaur vomit :saddowns:

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Alright Cat, you're in now, you have an opening to take the guy out, you got this!

quote:

Cat Stevens grabs One-eyed Willie by the first finger, right hand with his right hand!
One-eyed Willie stabs Cat Stevens in the upper body with his adamantine spear, tearing the muscle, shattering the right false ribs, shattering the left floating ribs and tearing the liver through the large steel breastplate!

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Jazzimus Prime posted:

If we're going to be doing multi-tier arenas, I'll probably have to look into including that multi-level rendering plugin with the version of DF we're using for the arena.

Also, it sounds like with Bad Munki's proposal, it might not always be a fight to the death, since you could lose a match by falling to a lower level? :confused:

The lowest level is magma, of course. It's always a fight to the death.

• Locked thread