Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«387 »
bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

cyberpunksurvivor posted:

issue sales are almost dead

The problem with this statement is that you have to base it on the past. And comic sales have been dropping pretty steadily for what, the last 30 years or so? The market is shrinking, but issue sales have paled in comparrison to times past for quite some time now, and will likely always seem "almost dead" until the moment before the mainstream comic market actually collapses (assuming it does)

I probably overreacted a bit too, but I'm sincere when I say that I don't think there have been many better times to be a comic reader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheManWithNoName
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

cyberpunksurvivor posted:

Then again, Comixology has hit 50 million digital sales so I guess things aren't all bad. I personally wouldn't touch digital copies as I'm really ADD with almost anything involving a screen. I focus a whole lot better with a physical print.

Have you tried it? I've found the opposite, I tend to focus better on digital. Being able to read panel-by-panel is really nice and slows down my reading to where I enjoy each page more.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Lovin Action Comics. If this had came out 2 years ago, it would be the basis for a Superman movie reboot.

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

TheManWithNoName posted:

Have you tried it? I've found the opposite, I tend to focus better on digital. Being able to read panel-by-panel is really nice and slows down my reading to where I enjoy each page more.

I'm also more likely to read stuff on my tablet than reading a huge stack of backlog. Usually I'll be sitting there, having caught up on Twitter or whatever, and start reading comics that I never got to. It's quite nice.

Flynn Taggart
Jan 20, 2006

I picked up Green Arrow today because of the new creative team and It's really quite good. I stopped reading it originally after issue 3, but I'm adding it to my pull list again. Did he make his identity known to the public at some point in between? It kind of seems like everybody knows he's the Arrow now.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

GOIN' WILD FOR THE NIGHT
FUCK BEIN' POLITE

Well, look at that. You give Sepulveda a break from splashing digital lightning everywhere and put Jenkins on writing duty and suddenly Stormwatch is ten times more enjoyable.

Also, Animal Man and Swamp Thing gave me loving goosebumps this week. They are both so uniquely compelling and frightening.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003

Yannick_B posted:

Lovin Action Comics. If this had came out 2 years ago, it would be the basis for a Superman movie reboot.
I was thinking this as I read issue 7 too. I hope Man of Steel will be a much better film than we've gotten out of the franchise in the past, but this is just such an absolutely perfect origin story it kills me to know I won't get to see THIS on the big screen.

As soon as I finished issue 7 I went back to issue 1 and read through all of them again. This book completely justifies the reboot for me.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

TheManWithNoName posted:

It does feel weird to spend $30 (this was a pretty huge comic week, jeez), get done reading in an hour and have nothing to hold at the end.

edit: Okay. Just read today's Night Force. I had a kind of tough time getting through. Are the previous series very good? It feels like something I'd like to get into, but this issue left me cold.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at Mar 8, 2012 around 07:20

Entertainer13
Apr 25, 2009

TheManWithNoName posted:

I've tried it. My eyes get tired and I have to look away from the screen.

I also don't enjoy them going to the "panel by panel" format. It will encourage only panel by panel artwork, rather than take advantage of the medium.

But, whatever, I have old man's disease and hate anything new.

Staircase
Jun 6, 2011

It looks like DC has finally started printing the new logo on comics this week.

I guess it isn't too bad, especially if they do end up switching the colors around like their concepts suggested. The Supernatural cover has it in gray, and I think that looks pretty nice.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Anyone else reading JLI? Regarding #7,

WTF, is Rocket Red really dead? NOOOOOOOOO I know you're technically not the same Gavril who watches Oprah and kissed Bea but NOOOO

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Motherfucking Space Shaaaaaaaaarks!

Is anyone still following Green Arrow? I'm going to pick up #7 tomorrow and I'm actually getting excited. With the new writer I feel like things are finally starting to pick up for my favorite hero!

e: and for those of you who care about Green Arrow: Phil Hester and Matt Wagner will be at Emerald City Comic Con this month!

cyberpunksurvivor
Dec 29, 2011

I am opposed to homosexuality for political reasons

Well Huntress #6 ended rather anticlimactically. Shame because Marcus To's art is lickable.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Red Robin Hood posted:

Is anyone still following Green Arrow? I'm going to pick up #7 tomorrow and I'm actually getting excited. With the new writer I feel like things are finally starting to pick up for my favorite hero!

I wasn't totally sold on the art for GA #7, but I really felt it was a fine return-to-form as far as the character goes. The writing seemed like a huge improvement. I was ready to drop it from my pulls, but I'm going to stick around, now.

I'm also a huge Ollie fan, fwiw, so lemme know what you think when you read it, Red Robin Hood!

I also agree with cyberpunksurvivor --- I wasn't the biggest fan of the Huntress run (I like her better in the shadows of Gotham, not sunny Italy), and that ending was pretty "meh".

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Staircase posted:

It looks like DC has finally started printing the new logo on comics this week.

I guess it isn't too bad, especially if they do end up switching the colors around like their concepts suggested. The Supernatural cover has it in gray, and I think that looks pretty nice.

The logo sort of blends into the charity banner this month and barely stands out. I'm surprised they didn't put say, the Batman logo on the revealed part on all the bat-books and so forth. Unless the intention was to make the charity a bigger focus?

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

The logo sort of blends into the charity banner this month and barely stands out. I'm surprised they didn't put say, the Batman logo on the revealed part on all the bat-books and so forth. Unless the intention was to make the charity a bigger focus?

The charity banner has had me humming this since Wednesday.

http://youtu.be/Tgcc5V9Hu3g

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

I know I'm behind but the Penguin mini really pissed me off in how abruptly it ended.

There was so much eh, I dunno, layers and introspection or whatever the previous 4 issues and then the final is just so predictable and bland it hurt.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

It's regular blue because of the banner, Supernatural didn't have it and the color sceme of the logo was altered to fit the cover.
I'd assume it'll shift to be appropriate for each title going forward.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at Mar 12, 2012 around 03:10

Flynn Taggart
Jan 20, 2006

fnordcircle posted:

I know I'm behind but the Penguin mini really pissed me off in how abruptly it ended.

There was so much eh, I dunno, layers and introspection or whatever the previous 4 issues and then the final is just so predictable and bland it hurt.

I agree. It was like they didnt know how to end it so somebody just said "uuhhhhh army of robotic penguins." very disappointing.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Holy poo poo, Brian Wood writing my dogg Dean Winchester?!

Was Taters
Jul 29, 2004

This is it.
Batman and Robin.
Together again
for the first time.

^burtle posted:

Holy poo poo, Brian Wood writing my dogg Dean Winchester?!

The whole time!

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

I just want to say that DC's new site design is so awful when it comes to trying to get solicits from The Source. Is there some reason they can only include one image per post, and have to link to a gallery of covers?

Flynn Taggart
Jan 20, 2006

That's not the only reason it's awful. I miss the chronological news feed something fierce.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I guess OMAC will live in JLI now.

edit: also Batwing by issue 10

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at Mar 13, 2012 around 01:02

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

Bees?

Teenage Fansub posted:

I guess OMAC will live in JLI now.

I wish OMAC in JLI would be as cheesy.

Was Taters
Jul 29, 2004

This is it.
Batman and Robin.
Together again
for the first time.

graybook posted:

I wish OMAC in JLI would be as cheesy.

I wish JLI was cheesy. I just dropped the book for failing to make me laugh or even smile for about oh, 5 straight issues.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Jesus, is that Rag Man?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!

Sigma posted:

Jesus, is that Rag Man?
Looks like something straight out of Top Cow.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Darth Nat posted:

I just want to say that DC's new site design is so awful when it comes to trying to get solicits from The Source. Is there some reason they can only include one image per post, and have to link to a gallery of covers?

Their new TPB listings don't even list the issues collected in each volume. I used to rely on those listings when planning purchases or binding projects, as DC could be counted on to be more accurate than Amazon. And now they're gone.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at Mar 13, 2012 around 02:25

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

You think I posted on this forum because I value your companionship?

Was Taters posted:

I wish JLI was cheesy. I just dropped the book for failing to make me laugh or even smile for about oh, 5 straight issues.
If they keep killing off characters three at a time I think there's a good chance I'll smile fairly soon. They just missed and killed the wrong three this time; Rocket-Red-Who-Isn't-The-Rocket-Red-From-The-Only-Good-Rocket-Red-Story-Ever dying was kind of a drag I guess? I'm honestly surprised they didn't use this chance to get rid of Godiva who is seriously a hopeless character that only seems to exist because she's a similarly shaped stand in for whatever character was originally supposed to be on the team. I would also hope that they'd get rid of August General in Iron sooner rather than later.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

Bees?

NorgLyle posted:

If they keep killing off characters three at a time I think there's a good chance I'll smile fairly soon. They just missed and killed the wrong three this time; Rocket-Red-Who-Isn't-The-Rocket-Red-From-The-Only-Good-Rocket-Red-Story-Ever dying was kind of a drag I guess? I'm honestly surprised they didn't use this chance to get rid of Godiva who is seriously a hopeless character that only seems to exist because she's a similarly shaped stand in for whatever character was originally supposed to be on the team. I would also hope that they'd get rid of August General in Iron sooner rather than later.

I would support August General in Iron leaving JLI if it means more tales of The Great Ten.

Flameingblack
May 11, 2011

The world is a mess
And I am the one
Who will rebuild it

The comic store called last night because I haven't came to visit in over 5 months. Presumably, they want me to pick up the stack of comics that are probably in my pull box. I would assume that I've got close to 30 comics to catch up on over spring break now.

Looking forward to the new Shazam! stuff, I've been a fan since the JLI stuff got good. (Geoff Johns and JMS**)

**Good is subjective, let me be

Things still on my pull list:
Wonder Woman, Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Demon Knights, Supergirl

Probably just going hog wild and spending a lot of money at the store tomorrow.

Flameingblack fucked around with this message at Mar 13, 2012 around 13:14

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Die Laughing posted:

Let's just pretend that DC didn't want to bring back Hal and Barry because they're the most iconic renditions of their two most popular non-trinity characters.

the "iconic" versions of those characters are just the idea that they exist. walk up the street and ask the first fifty people you meet what the flash's (or green lantern's) real name is and you'll probably get about 5 answers and 3 will be "who gives a poo poo". switching around versions of a character is shuffling deck chairs on the titanic.

Entertainer13
Apr 25, 2009

DeimosRising posted:

the "iconic" versions of those characters are just the idea that they exist. walk up the street and ask the first fifty people you meet what the flash's (or green lantern's) real name is and you'll probably get about 5 answers and 3 will be "who gives a poo poo". switching around versions of a character is shuffling deck chairs on the titanic.

Besides, due to my age, Wally is iconic to me, as well as Kyle. Hal and Barry were always "those guys" to me.

Heck, Wally was Flash to an entire generation of Justice League viewers. Just sayin'.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

The most interesting plant in the world

To attract new readers we are going to use old version of characters.

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second

Entertainer13 posted:

Besides, due to my age, Wally is iconic to me, as well as Kyle. Hal and Barry were always "those guys" to me.

I feel the same way. I can't deny that some great comics have come out of the DC reboot but some of their retro moves are just baffling to me. I mean, I was loving Dick Grayson as Batman and Bruce Wayne running Batman, Inc. and that just... stopped. Even though it was doing well (from what I hear), they turned back the clock and now we have Young Batman - which hasn't been bad, but dammit, I was already into the other Batman! Now I gotta switch gears and poo poo just cuz you said so, DC? Way to turn me off your books!

Plus there's the whole "bringing back dead characters" thing. Sure, Hal Jordan and Barry Allen were the Green Lantern & Flash that a lot of people remember fondly, but how old are those readers now? Forty, maybe forty-five? In other words, not the "young readers" demographic they claim they were going for?

Maybe they were lying about that the whole time. Maybe their market research tells them most young people aren't buying comics anymore, so they're hoping to squeeze a bit of disposable income out of the 35+ crowd by appealing to nostalgia.

With that said, I'm enjoying this new iteration of Superman in Action Comics. Now there's how you remake a classic for modern readers.

I'm about ready to give up on comics completely, because it feels like almost everything is just a rehash now. There, rant over.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.

So hey Stormwatch is getting a new artist.

Hurray.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.

Madkal posted:

To attract new readers we are going to use old version of characters.

Okay this argument is dumb because it's just as applicable to Wally and Kyle as it is Hal and Barry. If they're making these characters younger and giving them a new character arc that's meant to develop them as it would when Wally and Kyle first debuted then there is literally no god drat difference who they use. At this point the argument stops being "Older characters can't appeal to newer readers" and starts being "Why aren't DC pandering to *ME*"

Die Laughing
Sep 18, 2009

You engage the Mad Duck

SMAAAAASH!

DeimosRising posted:

2/5 is ridiculously generous. Not that many people saw Catch Me If You Can.

Our argument is supposed to be about what rendition of your character do you use to sell your character to the widest possible audience? I bet they're worried that your average movie goer wouldn't quite grasp the idea of a movie based on a legacy hero. They'd worry that people would think they're only getting half a story, or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolian Blues
Nov 3, 2008

DeimosRising posted:

4/5 will say "who?". The 5th person will say "Ryan Reynolds".

«387 »